Sign in to follow this  
Julandrius

Modern Combat Tank

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

So after seeing some work on Flickr I decided it was really getting time for me to design my own tank. This is the result.

6077713886_880908217d_z.jpg

6077704684_f5852ef2ba_z.jpg

I'm quite pleased with it considering this is my first ever. Though I don't really like the turret. So any tank-builders out here. Please help me improve it.

Anyways, I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Julien

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Wow, nice job! You should use it in a vignette! Is this based on a real tank?

Thanks :D I'm first trying out some techniques. Then when I get a little better at building vehicles I'll include one in a diorama for sure. And no, thisone is pure fantasy man :tongue:

That's one lovely tank! :wub: I don't know why you're not happy with the turret - it's a great design. Could perhaps be a little wider, but I love the use of the SNOT curves and slopes to give it contour. :thumbup:

MOAR TANKS PLOX! :classic:

What? :wacko: If you mean 'More tanks please,' then seconded!

That's one lovely tank! :wub: I don't know why you're not happy with the turret - it's a great design. Could perhaps be a little wider, but I love the use of the SNOT curves and slopes to give it contour. :thumbup:

What? :wacko: If you mean 'More tanks please,' then seconded!

The turret isn't that bad. But I wanted this to be a modern tank. And the way it is now it really gives it a WW II kind of feeling. And there's just a lot of people over at flickr that don't like it. And since they are more experienced I guess they have a point.

And he meant More tanks now indeed :D

Nice tank. I suppose you can make the turret lower profile for that modern look you wanted.

Like your other MOCs, Julandrius, this tank certainly does not disappoint! You've captured the bulky military feel of a tank perfectly, and the studless/SNOT work is superb. There are lots of really nice little bits that stand out, and NPU is definitely one of the best things about this MOC - things like your use of the 2x2 jumper plates and the way you've left studs around the edges (they remind me of rivets) as well as how you've used turntable bottoms as vents and the headlights in the front (oddly reminiscent of an automobile, which is neat).

Personally, I love the WWII-esque feel that this tank gives off, but I can see why you may not be too happy with the turret - for me, the way you've built it makes it look slightly too blocky in comparison with the rest of the build. To round it out a bit, you may want to use these and these for the "body" instead of the rows of 1x6 curved bricks with 45 slopes. For the main cannon, you could use a combination of Technic pins and small gears rather than simply tubes to give it some bulk (as seen in this MOC). :classic:

Edited by fallenangel309

That's really good. I wouldn't even know where to start to build something like that. Nice job

That's really a nice job fir a first! :thumbup:

My suggestion would be to remove the grills from the front, they look out of place.

The open top of the turret also seems a bit strange, a hatch against the elements and enemy would be nice on the next I think.

Thanks everyone :)

I'll try to keep all your sugestions in mind. I was planning on rebuilding it now but I guess I'm a little lazy as of now :P

Anyways, there's almost certainly another one coming.

Not a bad start! I'm no pro in building tanks and stuff, so it's definitely better than something I could come up with. I have to agree with people who said the turret could use a little work. I look morel ike a motorized howitser to me than a real tank turret. May be it's because it's open-topped and has a rather short barrel :sceptic: . I would also make the front a bit shorter if it's possible. It kind of seems rather long at the moment. Other than that, well done! Does it fit a minifigure inside?

Not a bad start! I'm no pro in building tanks and stuff, so it's definitely better than something I could come up with. I have to agree with people who said the turret could use a little work. I look morel ike a motorized howitser to me than a real tank turret. May be it's because it's open-topped and has a rather short barrel :sceptic: . I would also make the front a bit shorter if it's possible. It kind of seems rather long at the moment. Other than that, well done! Does it fit a minifigure inside?

Thanks, it fits 1 minifig in the turret, or maybe 2 if you'd push it. And under the barrel you have these hatches, they can open up and there's space for 2 figures. And then under the turret I guess you can put 4 more.