Pally

New modular building? 10224 Town Hall

My thouhgts exactly!

Loking at my moduler row, I assume that its not much higher than green grocer (which is about 3bricks higher than fire brigade)

Looking at the rooftop you're right.

But considering the overall height, the TH is significantly higher than the GG!

About the coat of arms...

It looks like a variant of this one:

which is the coat of arms of (you'll never going to guess it :classic: )

Billund !

Great find there!!!!

Edited by Ricecracker
Removed unnecessary part of quote

Looking at the rooftop you're right.

But considering the overall height, the TH is significantly higher than the GG!

Does anybody know what the height of the model is (advertised on the box)?

Does anybody know what the height of the model is (advertised on the box)?

50cm!

Hmm, I just can't get excited over this, I can't decide if it looks really bad or not. The last one I felt this way for was Fire Brigade, which despite being one of my favorites now, was an extreme let down for me on announcement.

Things I hate:

1) The color (Eugh)

2) I design of the floors are really bland.

3) The gray roofing on the top is really bland.

4) The skylights don't look realistic at all.

5) The "working" elevator, I'd be much happier if it was static.

I'd much rather that this was Jamie Berard's original Town Hall, it puts this one to shame.

The interesting thing about Jamie's original design was that it focused a lot on the actual architecture of the building, and ensuring that it could be recognisable as what a typical town hall would look like, including features such as a grand lobby, long range of steps at the entrance and large pillars.

But let's be serious here - that was without a concern for the brick count, building techniques or interesting assembly methods. Like any other LEGO product, the Modulars still have to abide by a set of attributes that ensure the model will be interesting to build, and of course, have some form of playability value. With this being the case, the 'Town Hall' that we have seen pre-release fits these categories. The 'elevator' is included to add a function, the bride and groom are there for a narrative, and all the rooms have a purpose.

In addition, like all the Modulars preceding it, the product as multiple floors. This is why the front pillars only stretch one floor, because having to 'break' them up when each layer is moved about would just be messy. So it's a Catch 22 situation; they may have even questioned during the design process "Do we just have have one floor and make the building longer, or multiple floors and more compact?".

Considering all the building requirements that TLG have to put into such a line of product, I think they've done a very impressive job with the Town Hall and have adequately scaled it down to something more compact, modest even. I don't think it's the best of the series, but if the prices so far are accurate, then it could well be the best value!

As others have said though, I'll be able to make a better judgement once I can see it in person or more videos are uploaded, as I literally can't decide how the bricks would look in real life. I remember before the Pet Shop was released, no-one could figure out how it would look (which led to negativity), but in real life the colours are beautiful. The problem with TLG's packaging is that they over-saturate and brighten the colours beyond their actual hue.

Edited by tom-cat

Can someone tell me how to make the pics from the Bricksetforum bigger? Going over the pics with the mouse and clicking on it doesn´t work and searching the set name or number on the hosting site of the pics gives no results.

Can someone tell me how to make the pics from the Bricksetforum bigger? Going over the pics with the mouse and clicking on it doesn´t work and searching the set name or number on the hosting site of the pics gives no results.

There are no large official HR images available for this set yet! so that might be the problem! :cry_sad:

There are no large official HR images available for this set yet! so that might be the problem! :cry_sad:

I meant the new ones from the review one made there, not the white backdrop pics.

Ah, well you should be able to just klick on them, It works for me!

If it doesn't try clearing the cash in your browser or restart your computer! :sick:

Edited by grogall

Can someone tell me how to make the pics from the Bricksetforum bigger? Going over the pics with the mouse and clicking on it doesn´t work ....

I had the same probleme. You have to become a member of the Brickst Forum first. Then it works. :sweet:

Today talked with someone in UK Lego Store, a guy told me that Town Hall won't be in store till around May? (don't know if this is true or not.....)

Personaly, I find it less stylish than the previous modulars. Especially the facade, is a bit confusing. Not very fond of of the color, either...

So I'll just give a :thumbdown:

I'm surprised so many people dislike the color. I think Dark Orange is an excellent color for a brick building, and in fact the modular schoolhouse my brother and I were designing on LDD is primarily Dark Orange and Brick Yellow (tan). We might have to redesign that so it uses a color that hasn't been used before, depending on whether there are any other colors that would look appropriate and have the right parts available... but it's not like it was a 100% finished design to begin with (we'd been having trouble coming up with a satisfactory concept for the chain-link fences around the playground).

This isn't a problem, for in "ye olde days" people would have large poles with a hook on the end, and they used this to 'pull' the window panes down or 'push' them up. Even when I was at school we had these in our hall :classic:

True, but it's still a problem for minifigs hoping to escape through those windows! :wink:

Anyway, I think the color is fine, but it would have been nice to see some of those new bricks with the actual brick texture on them (as seen in some of the new Forest Police and Ninjago sets) used in the facade.

Anyway, I think the color is fine, but it would have been nice to see some of those new bricks with the actual brick texture on them (as seen in some of the new Forest Police and Ninjago sets) used in the facade.

I'm surprised we didn't see any of these as well, they seem perfect for a Modular Building. Also the 2x2 ribbed round brick, although I see a couple were used during construction.

Personally I prefer it this way, making clever use of classic pieces rather than 'cheat' pieces.

@clcwong In my experience, LEGO Store employees mean well, but they are not informed of many product decisions in advance. They hear rumors just as we do, and make their own educated assumptions. Most times: they don't know about things until they happen publicly and officially.

You have to register with the forum. Then you can click on the thumbnail picture and get the bigger picture :wink:

I'm surprised so many people dislike the color. I think Dark Orange is an excellent color for a brick building, and in fact the modular schoolhouse my brother and I were designing on LDD is primarily Dark Orange and Brick Yellow (tan). We might have to redesign that so it uses a color that hasn't been used before, depending on whether there are any other colors that would look appropriate and have the right parts available... but it's not like it was a 100% finished design to begin with (we'd been having trouble coming up with a satisfactory concept for the chain-link fences around the playground).

I couldn't agree more with you about dark orange, Aanchir! It's a great building color for the modular sets. I too have built a modular building using dark orange as the main color (it's an art-deco themed cinema. Dark orange bricks are so expensive that I decided to only do the front in that color, and the other three walls in tan). And like you, I will have to take a look at using another color now that the Town Hall set is being released.

I also disagree about the colour; The dark orange is perfect for a Modular Building it is also a lot darker then on the cover of the box.

I think the photographers lights make them to light in the cover picture!

For those worried about the colours look at the pet shop, the town house has some dark orange pieces on the front

and the are actually quite dark!

If Jamie had used dark green like he did in his MOC it would have stood out more next to the other buildings!

Still can't believe that Lego has not released any official news about the set since every AFOL knows about it now

and not really a secret anymore. :wacko:

Edited by grogall

@clcwong In my experience, LEGO Store employees mean well, but they are not informed of many product decisions in advance. They hear rumors just as we do, and make their own educated assumptions. Most times: they don't know about things until they happen publicly and officially.

Maybe....

I hope to get this soon as wel...but just try to just a note to everyone what I heard back =]

Anyway, tomorrow is my birthday and I am going to build my Emerald Night first (or sth else...still deciding)

The 1x2 tiles on the facade of the Pet Shop house are the same color as this building, correct? If so, that's a very nice color. I was passing through my old town yesterday and I noticed the town hall is pretty similar to this set, even the color. That made me want this that much more. I wish I could find a good image on the internet though.