Pally

New modular building? 10224 Town Hall

...Heimlich manoeuvre?

Or Clinton manoeuvre?

Err, wait - that would be another style... :innocent:

But for the set itself:

- Has anyone noticed yet the brick build door at the main entrance?

- What about the nice curved glass roof top?

- and the light well leading down to the ground floor?

- The fantastic assembly room?

I'm soooo drooling! :drool:

we can say "Speak Now" in lego universe!!!default_devg1.gif

If drooool was a spoken word and not the saliva on my t-shirt, then I would shouting aloud "DROOOOL!"

The elevator is novel, but it is a step in the direction of flick-fire missiles - a gimmick with limited play value that detracts from the overall aesthetics. If I were to make an elevator in a modular building, I would have had a discrete column of technic gears within the walls that connect from floor to floor and are turned by a handle in disguise. The elevator would have 'gear racks' down the side to be lifted up and down by the spinning gears.

Any close-ups of the brick-built door?

Edited by David Thomsen

If there is someone reading this thread with a copy of this set (or access to the box), can they post a high-res picture of either the inventory in the instruction book or the inventory on the side of the box? Be nice to know exactly what parts come in this set :)

Anyone have the address for the guy in Romania? I wan't to go and visit him... and ah, well.... you know!?

But anyway nice to get some good closeups of this spectacular set!

I'm just a little sad that its not standing next to my other Modular Buildings! :pir_bawling:

Can't wait to get my hands on it! :cry_sad:

Hurry up Lego and release the information, so we know how much we have to pay for this baby!

@Jamie philip Berard "Nice Job"

Thanks! :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: :pir_bawling: ................................

If there is someone reading this thread with a copy of this set (or access to the box), can they post a high-res picture of either the inventory in the instruction book or the inventory on the side of the box? Be nice to know exactly what parts come in this set :)

Give us the instruction # please there on the back starts with 6 or 7 i think!?

Edited by grogall

Colour looks a lot better now!, its very orange on the box, but a nice brick red in the flesh.

Edited by brickingit

Is anyone a little curious to how that guy got his hands on the set since it hasnt been officially released in stores or even officially been announced by lego and also how does the elevator work meaning how does it move up and down?

Thanks for the pictures of the built Town Hall. I still like the building, although I don't like the way the elevator is built. I agree with @David Thomsen that the elevator mechanism should be more disguised. I'd prefer something more hidden than the actual hole in the wall for a simple purpose of moving the elevator up and down. I don't care that much for playability of the modular sets. All in all, it's still a great set. And I'm in on the crying :cry3: part with @Grogall. Wish the set would be out already!

Is anyone a little curious to how that guy got his hands on the set since it hasnt been officially released in stores or even officially been announced by lego and also how does the elevator work meaning how does it move up and down?

This is how. A shop in Romania received stock on Monday and listed it on their website. Eurobricks found them and posted the link on the front page. I saw this, called the shop on Thursday, checked it was in stock and had them reserve one for collection after work.

When I arrived the guy was very apologetic, and said that Lego called him, saying that it was still under embargo and that he was not allowed to sell it. There should have been a note with the shipment, but they forgot to send one out which is why they listed it on their site first. I tried offering him an extra 100 lei but he wouldn't budge.

I called two other shops that I know of, both had them in stock, but under embargo. One of those said 'no', the other said 'come get it'...The rest is history.

The sets are complete, and have to be shipped to the sellers, but I have a horrible feeling there may be a problem with the instructions as I was missing several pieces, and saw something rather unusual, which was two 1x8 bricks stacked directly on top of each other (see my post on the something awful thread) for more detail.

The playability of the elevator seems fine to me. I had built a hotel when I was younger that had an elevator operated by a rope at the top of the shaft and that was a pain in the butt to operate but I still had fun playing with it. For any kid lucky enough to get this set, the easy use of the elevator will only help them play and they won't care about how it looks

For us AFOLs, the issue is mainly aesthetic, but it can always be modded. Though it is somewhat curious that Lego would "dumb down" a feature on one of these considering who the audience is for the modulars. Whatever, I just want this sitting next to my FB already!

This is how. A shop in Romania received stock on Monday and listed it on their website. Eurobricks found them and posted the link on the front page. I saw this, called the shop on Thursday, checked it was in stock and had them reserve one for collection after work.

When I arrived the guy was very apologetic, and said that Lego called him, saying that it was still under embargo and that he was not allowed to sell it. There should have been a note with the shipment, but they forgot to send one out which is why they listed it on their site first. I tried offering him an extra 100 lei but he wouldn't budge.

I called two other shops that I know of, both had them in stock, but under embargo. One of those said 'no', the other said 'come get it'...The rest is history.

The sets are complete, and have to be shipped to the sellers, but I have a horrible feeling there may be a problem with the instructions as I was missing several pieces, and saw something rather unusual, which was two 1x8 bricks stacked directly on top of each other (see my post on the something awful thread) for more detail.

You are one lucky guy .........by the way how does the elevator operate what is the device that moves it up and down?

Colour looks a lot better now!, its very orange on the box, but a nice brick red in the flesh.

I absolutely agree. The homemade pictures of the set look way better than the ones one the box. I'm starting to like it :classic:

seems they misplace them in the design so the y stacked them up...which originally should be those small bricks...

You are one lucky guy .........by the way how does the elevator operate what is the device that moves it up and down?

your thumb. It's a lever you pull up and secure with a technic piece

@ Jut, I had missing pieces in one of my last modulars, though I cant remember if it was GE or FB as I built them both on the same weekend. That's a bit worrying that this is having problems with missing pieces as well. With GE and FB, you would think they had any bugs in production worked out by now but evidently not.

That is also very odd that they stacked two 1x8 bricks. This is something I even try to avoid in my own MOCs after having seen so much of the layered bricks in my modular sets.

Hello all, new poster, lurker for over a year 2 years.

The elevator is novel, but it is a step in the direction of flick-fire missiles - a gimmick with limited play value that detracts from the overall aesthetics. If I were to make an elevator in a modular building, I would have had a discrete column of technic gears within the walls that connect from floor to floor and are turned by a handle in disguise. The elevator would have 'gear racks' down the side to be lifted up and down by the spinning gears.

I agree that the execution of the elevator is questionable, but perhaps the justification here is that the lift and lock arrangement is at the rear of the model, where it won't be seen if it's simply placed on display. The gap is unsightly, but directly lifting the elevator with a "handle" may help to avoid having the elevator platform bind up in the shaft (if it were raised by a string/winch, for example). Plus, it seems to make it easier to have the elevator stay attached to whatever floor it's at. An elevator car dangling at the end of a string from the top floor would be fiddly to deal with when re-stacking the floors.

In any case, I definitely like the use of an elevator in principle. I'm now planning on modding my already heavily-modded GG to incorporate an elevator in the current staircase space. The GG is a perfect candidate for an elevator because it has a fire escape. Staircases look strange when the steps are over 2 plates high and the GG uses full-brick high stairs as well as the prefab staircase parts which are just unsightly. That, and the sharp turn near the top of the staircase on the ground floor just looks awkward. Elevators and their shafts are just a better use of space and I'm looking forward to making the changes to my GG soon (and I will probably use a string and winch at the top). Not sure why I never thought of it before!

Edited by VeganGuy

I agree, seeing the set built puts the box art to shame (which was also quite lovely). So I can't wait to get this one.

I like the idea of an elevator. I'm not upset with how they designed it. I think it will work quite well and it will be at the rear so I'll never notice it. Granted, I'll probably never "play" with it either, so it almost serves no purpose being there. I've never needed stairs since my hand controls where the person goes, but it's nice to have some reality to it.

I was building a hotel in LDD a few years ago and was designing an elevator to go in there, but then my computer crashed and I lost everything. But initially I thought, why not use a winch and string. That pulley system seems to make the most sense logically. But then last night I built the King's Castle and it is a very clever use of pieces for the portcullis to make that rise and fall, all the while staying on a certain peg at each interval. Meaning, it would be quite easy to have it stay on each floor as needed. Sure, it would be a shaky ride for the minifigs, but it would get the job done and you could probably hide the knob to turn it somewhere easier than a lever that you push with your thumb.

Either way, I am excited for an elevator. I am excited for this set. I can't wait to see how it looks in my historic district, if I ever build a city street.

That is also very odd that they stacked two 1x8 bricks. This is something I even try to avoid in my own MOCs after having seen so much of the layered bricks in my modular sets.

That's why I think it's a printing error and not missing pieces. None of the modulars have had similar blocks stacked right on-top of each other like that, and the pieces I have left over are hardly ever seen as spares...

P.S. finished it, can't take a pic as the GF is over put I will do tomorrow. It's not much bigger than CC or GE, about an inch taller on the roof line, the rest of the height is the clock tower (which had no bell).

Edited by Jut

Huh, so that's how the elevator works. It's okay, but that gap looks very intrusive to the design. I would rather have a crank pulley system of some sort.