Pally

New modular building? 10224 Town Hall

Thanks for sharing the new pics of this years modular building, made my day. With its larger size this years building definately has the wow factor back. Even though the petshop was nice it didn't have that for me when I first saw those preview pics last June. Already thinking about mods for the buidling. A 48 wide free standing version would look great in my town. Can't wait for the set to come out.

Edited by danthaman11

Oh; and I heard somewhere that this set has an elevator! :wink:

The more you look at this the more you seem to notice. At the balcony where the "mayor" is standing at the glass door, is that new windows too the side which appear to be 1x1x2?

I tried purchasing this from the Romanian webshop, but it's impossible to register anything else than Romania as home country... which is a slight problem. So I guess I'll have to wait :) but I am most certainly going to buy this. It's gorgeous - and although I see the resemblance with the Fire Brigade, it's much more grand and imposing. I'm excited!

Anyone know if Mickey26 is an aka for Jamie Berard?

Mr. Berard already has an account here on Eurobricks, but if he was 'leaking' images it might be a better idea to create a new, anonymous username :) so I guess there's always a possibility...

I want to also point out that I am officially declaring 2012 "the year of the bride". There's a bride shown in this set, one in the upcoming minifigures series 7, and one in a special cake topper thing.

That's a funny coincidence! The cake toppers are from 2011, though :)

I'm wondering if they'll up the price for this one. I think they're going to have to.

They are. Sir von Lego stated in a post in the Star Wars forum in early December that the price was going to be GBP 149.99, compared to the 132.99 price of the Grand Emporium. And he was dead right about the piece count, so I'd be surprised if the price isn't spot on as well!

The more you look at this the more you seem to notice. At the balcony where the "mayor" is standing at the glass door, is that new windows too the side which appear to be 1x1x2?

I don't think so, or they would have used them for the windows on the top floor instead of using the same window overlap trick they did for the GE. It looks like some clever arrangement of other parts, they probably don't even have glass in them.

Oh; and I heard somewhere that this set has an elevator! :wink:

Ah! That would explain the windowless portion of the back.

I would bet on 1x2x2 panels turned sideways.

I think the colour will grow on me, but liking the scale. Agree with some of the comments about this being a standalone item. It would look great surrounded by a little bit of park.

I should mention how I'm surprised to see so many collectible minifigure molds appearing in this set! There is the Zookeeper's hair, the Flamenco Dancer's hair, and the Fisherman's beard. Ginny Weasley's hair also makes an appearance, which is nice. I guess since people didn't seem turned off by China being on the "places of manufacture" list in the Pet Shop, they shouldn't object if it appears here (unless it turns out that these hairpieces have lower quality than ones produced elsewhere, which I don't see any reason to expect).

Can't wait to see bigger pics! I'm sure Grogall will have them on his Brickshelf as soon as he gets them!

I knew I didn't get the petshop for a reason! I'm loving this Town Hall! Definitely on the top of my list now for some un-recieved christmas presents! :sweet:

I think that there will be an elevator in this set.

1. It's missing a row of windows

2. There seems to be a gap next to the right wall in the back

3. If you look at the picture on the box that has the floors disconnected, you can see a Seperate room In front of where the windows should be.

Also, on the second floor, you can see another Seperate room. Mayor's office, perhaps?

I think that there will be an elevator in this set.

1. It's missing a row of windows

2. There seems to be a gap next to the right wall in the back

3. If you look at the picture on the box that has the floors disconnected, you can see a Seperate room In front of where the windows should be.

Also, on the second floor, you can see another Seperate room. Mayor's office, perhaps?

I had the same thought as well, but I think it will just be a spiral staircase. I think the 'gap' you see is actually just a black drainpipe. Also, the cleaner is emerging from a trapdoor at the top, which would be an odd thing to have at the top of an elevator shaft.

My money is on spiral staircase.

As far as I can tell, if you don't count the bell and clock towers, the TH is about four bricks taller than the FB. Also, deeper. So that is where all of the extra pieces are going, if anyone wondered...

Edited by David Thomsen

Looks interesting, I might get it.

In isolation, it looks fantastic. I really like the clock and the colours mix together wonderfully well. However, I think it looks a bit silly next to the Pet Shop and the Grand Emporium - it's just so big! Not that that will deter me from buying it, mind!

I agree. Also, a town hall seems to me like the sort of thing that would be separate from other buildings, not right up against them.

I really like this modular building! I might pick this one up, the exterior looks perfect and the minifigures use some of the CMF parts in a great way.

WOW. Just WOW.

Columns that are brick-built instead of just using the 2x2 round ribbed column piece.

Printed clock.

Smaller beard from the CMF fisherman and dwarf.

Fez hat as part of a lamp.

Globe of the world piece.

POTC painting (unlike some, I like this piece as I don't own it yet :)

Bley frog.

More windows (always a good thing)

Great selection of figs (can anyone identify what torso is being used for the fig with the dark green legs? Or for the fig with the grey hair? (the latter almost looks like its the torso from the Alien Conquest businessman but I cant be sure)

Interesting to note that the set appears to come with one of the new brick separator pieces.

Only downside is that if this thing is more expensive than the Fire Brigade was, there is no way I will be able to afford to buy one :(

First of all, it's great to finally see pictures of the new modular! Thanks for that :classic::thumbup:

The pictures of the minifigs look great with all the accessories. The clock piece looks nice, too.

However, there are also a few things that I don't like about the building. Someone has mentioned it before and I have to agree that the front looks very flat. Also the white entrance area with the columns somehow looks squished in relation to the height of the building. I had preferred it to look more like Jamie's original version which has more depth to it:

th01.jpg

I guess though that the building would have to be wider to accomodate a larger entrance area.

Also I'm not too fond of the frame around the clock and the croissants in the coat of arms.

Anyway, when the first pictures of the petshop were released I wasn't too excited either and now I love the buildings. :wink:

I hope the rumours of an elevator turn out to be true. I'm looking forward to the interiour pics.

First of all, it's great to finally see pictures of the new modular! Thanks for that :classic::thumbup:

The pictures of the minifigs look great with all the accessories. The clock piece looks nice, too.

However, there are also a few things that I don't like about the building. Someone has mentioned it before and I have to agree that the front looks very flat. Also the white entrance area with the columns somehow looks squished in relation to the height of the building. I had preferred it to look more like Jamie's original version which has more depth to it:

th01.jpg

I guess though that the building would have to be wider to accomodate a larger entrance area.

Also I'm not too fond of the frame around the clock and the croissants in the coat of arms.

Anyway, when the first pictures of the petshop were released I wasn't too excited either and now I love the buildings. :wink:

I hope the rumours of an elevator turn out to be true. I'm looking forward to the interiour pics.

I agree. When I heard a rumor for a modular town hall, I was hoping Jamie's old model as well. This one is a bit underwhelming to me but it still looks fine. I will still get it for sure. The croissants will have to be replaced. They just seem out of place. That's the beauty of Lego though.

I hope this isn't the last modular building we see. It's large size makes me fear that they are trying to go out with a bang.

I hope this means we'll see dark orange jumper plates, as they don't exist and I need 3 dozen. :blush:

A suspension elevator with old-fashioned double lattice gates would be cool...

I agree. When I heard a rumor for a modular town hall, I was hoping Jamie's old model as well. This one is a bit underwhelming to me but it still looks fine. I will still get it for sure. The croissants will have to be replaced. They just seem out of place. That's the beauty of Lego though.

I hope this isn't the last modular building we see. It's large size makes me fear that they are trying to go out with a bang.

I think people are being unfair in comparing this set with the 48-brick-wide MOC of a professional Lego designer...

The croissants do look a bit silly, especially as they are coloured like real croissants. Maybe dark bley would have been a better colour for them. I will leave them as they are though, if I can accept skeleton legs and convex clocks I can accept croissants.

I doubt this will be the last modular building, they wouldn't have gone as far as six if they weren't selling in viable quantities.

I had the same thought as well, but I think it will just be a spiral staircase. I think the 'gap' you see is actually just a black drainpipe. Also, the cleaner is emerging from a trapdoor at the top, which would be an odd thing to have at the top of an elevator shaft.

Maybe he climbs out of the elevator to get to the roof. There is someting in the gap, that is on the position of the bottom of the third floor. And on the bottom of the second floor is a little dark piece (maybe a holder for the elevator). For a drainpipe it looks too angular and too dark.

I bet it is an elevator.

I don't get the disappointment - this is actually the first time a modular has far exceeded my expectations. This is such a huge step up from the Pet Shop that it almost looks like it was done by a different company. Can't wait! :classic:

I've been reading all the posts since the pics got posted earlier today and wanted to see what the general consensus is on the new Town Hall before rushing a post.

I had been hoping it would be the one (or similar one) Jamie made back in 2007. In a way I'm glad its not since I started working on that exact (well almost) one a few months ago before I heard the rumors of a new Town Hall. I will still probably get this and maybe post some pics of this design as well as the old design for comparison.

I think this would have looked better slightly shorter and wider with the columns going all the way up to the the top like Jamie's old design. It looks too squat and the columns too close together. The old design seems simpler yet more sophisticated and official. The height of the old one better fits with other modulars. I agree some separation between this and other buildings with some greenery would be the way to go. Throw a 16x32 base on either side with a bunch of tall homemade trees would work fine. There were probably a lot of considerations and reasons why they went taller, not wider on the building.

I do however like the building overall. I like the fact LEGO is stepping it up a little and taking a chance on a larger, more expensive building than previously.

I can't wait to see more detailed pics and the interior! Overall from what I can see it looks to be hit overall. Great job to all the designers at LEGO for providing these wonderful sets! I'm 42 and remember putting together my 952 Technic Tractor in '82 and never dreamed LEGO would be doing this so many years later.

O-M-G! This is seriously insane! I don't even know what to say, as my jaw is on the floor. That thing is tall. Anyone know what the red torso'd photographer is? I'm happy to see that orange torso, as I want and need one. Is that clock face piece from the Cars Big Ben set? I too, think this will be better suited by itself. I'll see how it looks by the others, however. LEGO, how about releasing this in February? Seeing as it's Leap Year, we have an extra day of waiting! :cry_sad: