Pally

New modular building? 10224 Town Hall

David I have to agree that to do a decent building with 48x48 plate would require a large number of pieces...Although I would, and plenty of others on this forum, would be happy to fork out for such an impressive modular building but I do not think the economics would make it desirable for TLG.

I would love to see a Town Hall Modular...or a cinema, or post office....or I have seen someone suggest a 30/40's style police precint...any of these would be very nice.

I would also be keen on some interesting earthy tones...or perhaps make use of the Atlantis style columns...of which I am hoping to get a whole stack in my Bulk order ;)

i would think it is unlikely that it will be on 48 x 48. it could be ?? x 32 because i believe Lego had Modular Series so that the buildings are able to connect in a smooth line. A XXX x 48(deep) would have meant that the extra 16 bits will jut out the back or front of the neighbouring Modulars.

I would love to see a Town Hall Modular...or a cinema, or post office...

Do you not think that a Cinema would look a bit drab inside? :sceptic: Afterall, it's just a big screen and many, many seats... The Post Office would have been amazing, but of TLG have just released the 'Winter' themed one, so that's not going to happen :cry_sad:

Oh sorry, I read too fast. I thought it said $149.99. I would be surprised if it is wider. Perhaps City Hall will be taller? More detailed inside? :look: I'm intrigued.

My guess would be taller, because I don't think TLC make the boxes much larger than the ones opne the current modulars, so It would be hard to fit a 48x48 baseplate in one of those, PLUS more peices! So I'd go with taller :laugh: Logic, Tehehehehe!

Dakar

Well, I for one thing would love to see a modular house wider than 32, as it would add more diversity to the layout, and if it is Town Hall, it should be more dominant between the other 'normal' buildings. A wider building would certainly look like that. As for the colour is concerned, I'd like to see some more special and rarer colours, such as medium nougat, or dark tan. All in all, I believe I'll like the building when I see it (hopefully soon :blush: ) and buy it at the first opportunity.

I'm really thinking its either going to be a 48x8 base, or a 16x32 (x3) or 16x32 (1) and 32x32 (1). The latter if LEGO is concerned the depth of the 48x48 will sit too deep on a city block, but then again a 48x32 building might not have enough depth to make it realistic looking. The Town Hall Jamie made back in 2007 is 48x48 and goes all the way to the back of the base. The rear side windows are positioned so the standard 32x32 modular would fit next to it without interfering with the side windows.

If the price is going to be around $180, I would think the building would have to be wider than the standard to justify the higher price. And if there is going to be columns made with the Erling brick, 32x32 would be way too small to use 4 of those. I don't think (and hope) they will be using the 2x2 round grill brick for columns. That would go against the modular buidling code which usually uses more advanced building techniques. IMO.

Well, I for one thing would love to see a modular house wider than 32, as it would add more diversity to the layout, and if it is Town Hall, it should be more dominant between the other 'normal' buildings. A wider building would certainly look like that. As for the colour is concerned, I'd like to see some more special and rarer colours, such as medium nougat, or dark tan. All in all, I believe I'll like the building when I see it (hopefully soon :blush: ) and buy it at the first opportunity.

Yummmmmm :drool: Medium nougat and dark green. That would be such a sexy builing, epecially on a large scale.

Dakar

All I know is:

2766 pieces

£149.99

Release expected to be March 2012

Hmm... I'm kind of surprised that no one has leaked any details yet, if it's only two months away. Usually someone has seen it and can tell us how many minifigs there are, what the main colour of the building is and what details to expect. Also, in this case, where those extra 400 pieces go.

And if there is going to be columns made with the Erling brick...

Erling? Where did that come from?

If it is to be Jamie's or another version of a Town Hall, then to give it some real stature, I think it would have to be on a 48x48 base plate, which would easily fit in the standard modular box.

I can't see a problem going away from the usual 2 x 16x32 base plates (32x32) as with the last modular, the Pet shop, you can easily split them into 2 seprate 16 wide buildings so we already we can have different sizes in our modular theme.

I'm currently doing a couple of Mod's on the Fire Brigade modular, one with a 48x48 base plate the other using 6 x 16x32 baseplates to have a surface area of 64 wide by 48 deep and both are easy to connect to other modulars as the link pins go in the same place as all other modulars and it allows side windows beyond the standard modular size.

Or is it called the Erlinger brick? Anyways its the 1x1 brick with 4 side studs and one top stud. The one Jamie uses to make the columns on his Town Hall.

Erling was the name of a designer for TLG; The "Erling brick" is what most of us know as a "headlight brick." In a video tutorial for making columns, Jamie Berard says he refers to the 1x1 brick with studs on all four sides as a "Super Erling" brick.

Erling was the name of a designer for TLG; The "Erling brick" is what most of us know as a "headlight brick." In a video tutorial for making columns, Jamie Berard says he refers to the 1x1 brick with studs on all four sides as a "Super Erling" brick.

Thanks for the clarifying that Trajic Banjo!

Erling is quite a common first name in Norway (but probably even more so in Denmark), so I just wondered where you got the name from. And after just a little bit of googling I found out that Erling Dideriksen invented the headlight brick in 1979 :) What will I do with all this useful knowledge that I acquire?

I would imagine they'd stick to the standard of 32 x 32. Especially considering the price is the same as all the recent modular sets that all sit on a 32x32 base. And they may want to stick to the width of the road plate. That way it's easy to make a town on a grid of 32 x 32 squares.

Yea... I think the price is just getting higher and higher, but they will still stick on 32x32.

Hope to see some dark green medium nougat bricks? or maybe something like the town plan city hall

It's definitely not a problem to fit 2766 pieces onto a 32x32 footprint - I've done two big modular MOCs, both on a baseplate that size, and both with more than 3000 pieces. There's always the possibility to expand the building backwards all the way to the edge of the baseplate, which hasn't been done before with an official modular, but I most certainly think that's much more likely than changing to 48x48. I can see the designers coming up with something sized 32x48 (16x32 x3), though. And like most of you other guys are saying: I'll buy it anyway. It'll be good :)

Edited by L@go

There's always the possibility to expand the building backwards all the way to the edge of the baseplate, which hasn't been done before with an official modular, but I most certainly think that's much more likely than changing to 48x48.

This seems like the most likely scenario to me. The actual building footprint of each modular to date has only taken up around half of the baseplate, so the building can be bigger without expanding beyond the existing 32x32 module. I could even see the front pushing a little forward as well, with a grand portico or something.

That, or the high piece count is due to Robie House-style walls consisting entirely of 1x2 plates. :tongue:

I just called Lego Direct to order some broken parts of my 10197 Fire Brigade.

I expressed my wishes to rerelease 10182 and 10190. He had heard several customers about it stating there was a rumor they were up for rerelease. He said he is not aware of a rerelease of these sets but knows there is a very high demand for it... Several people call about it every week.

He also said that in December he had a presentation of the 1H2012 sets. He also saw the new modular (could not say what it was but of course it is Town Hall) and he could also not say when it is released. If the presentation was about 1H2012 then of course Town Hall will be released soon... at least before July...

Sorry to be a killjoy but there is an extremely small chance that LEGO will rerelease the old modulars, in partiuclar 10182. This is because LEGO have discontinued the mould for the dark red roof pieces, along with certain others. And new moulds are VERY expensive - I saw in a MegaFactories LEGO edition, some moulds cost $250,000... :sceptic:

It would be great of course to have the old modulars back, but unlikely.

Oh yes baby. I like the look of that! It's very tall - which explains the high piece count. But the image is so small... don't you have any bigger?

Thanks anyway - this is certainly going into my collection. And welcome to Eurobricks - what a way to introduce yourself :)

Deleted post.

Edited by L@go