Pally

New modular building? 10224 Town Hall

I'm thinking it is going to be the Jamie Berard Town Hall which has been pictured earlier in this thread. 48x48 base I would assume as the 32x32 would be too small for 2700 bricks as well as the details. Which is going to suck for me since I am working on my own version of Jamies' Town Hall:

2397321860101579773S500x500Q85.jpg

At any rate, I'm sure I will get it anyways.

I'm thinking it is going to be the Jamie Berard Town Hall which has been pictured earlier in this thread. 48x48 base I would assume as the 32x32 would be too small for 2700 bricks as well as the details. Which is going to suck for me since I am working on my own version of Jamies' Town Hall:

2397321860101579773S500x500Q85.jpg

At any rate, I'm sure I will get it anyways.

Good shout! I can't see TLG using the same/similar 1932 emblem however.

Good shout! I can't see TLG using the same/similar 1932 emblem however.

Oh definitely I wouldn't imagine they would use it either.

I'm kind of disappointed that the price is up on it. I guess it's reasonable considering how many pieces it would contain, but I just hope they make it look as cluttered as the Emporium looked to me.

Wow - I was expecting more pieces since the price has gone up, but not this many more pieces. I'm fully prepared to be wowed now, and I also wonder if we're finally going to see a unique printed piece or torso... I can't imagine a town hall without a mayor in mayoral chains.

Wow - I was expecting more pieces since the price has gone up, but not this many more pieces. I'm fully prepared to be wowed now, and I also wonder if we're finally going to see a unique printed piece or torso... I can't imagine a town hall without a mayor in mayoral chains.

I am sure it also features a minifig wedding!

I personally can't wait for this set. For me personally, it demonstrates a maturity in the series because a 'Town Hall' is quite a specific concept, which is why many are having trouble imagining how it will look. This is a good thing though, and I imagine it will introduce an array of new ideas that differ from the shop narratives so far.

The main features I can see existing in this set are;

[*]a large clock, or centre-piece to the top of the building. This must sure be a certainty, given how popular they have proved in designs for literally a couple hundred years at least.

Maybe a large clock similar to that on the Cars theme "Big Bently Bust Out" which is a sicker but all the same a bigger clock than the printed 2x2 tile currently used in builds.

Here is the source of the photos:

The photos are all taken during the Cityplaza show in Hong Kong, Apr 2011.

Thanks L@go!

Sorry for digging this up, but I just wanted to let you know that I sent Jamie Berard a PM about the seller trying to profit from his Town Hall design, and he answered me today. He was frustrated to see the eBay page - not so much because the seller has tried to recreate his building, but because he's trying to make money from it, not even bothering to snap new pictures.

He also told me that he'd forwarded the link to TLC's legal department. Which is probably a bit worrying for the seller, as Mr. Berard designed the Town Hall as a Lego employee, thereby making it the company's design, I assume...

Naturally, being a responsible Eurobricker, I've asked if he could offer us just a tiny little hint as to what we can expect from the next modular, or even when it'll be out. I'm not really expecting him to answer that, though, but it would be stupid not to ask :)

I would really like to see a separate discussion about this. It's very intriguing. Also, it's two discussions in one. I think people would like to follow it.

48x48 base I would assume

I think that the town hall will be wider than usual but certainly "only" 32 deep. Otherwise the building would be way too large and also people couldn't store the modulars next to each other in one nice row.

Yes I think it would be 48 x 32, alot of Town Halls IRL are often that shape. Or perhaps it would be 32x32, but with ALOT of detail, especially in the interior?

Can't wait for pictures. It's like last year's Pet Shop all over again :laugh:

I would imagine they'd stick to the standard of 32 x 32. Especially considering the price is the same as all the recent modular sets that all sit on a 32x32 base. And they may want to stick to the width of the road plate. That way it's easy to make a town on a grid of 32 x 32 squares.

I would imagine they'd stick to the standard of 32 x 32. Especially considering the price is the same as all the recent modular sets that all sit on a 32x32 base. And they may want to stick to the width of the road plate. That way it's easy to make a town on a grid of 32 x 32 squares.

I agree with Hinckley. From a business standpoint as well, it would be the more logical choice to maintain a somewhat constant size and price for a model that, at this point, is an annual release. On another small note, I think it would be interesting for Lego to change their strategy next year to making a few 32x16 buildings akin to market street and pet shop (albeit sold separately) to appeal to a broader market.

I thought someone had said this one would be priced higher than the current modulars? Like $180 USD.

I thought someone had said this one would be priced higher than the current modulars? Like $180 USD.

Yes it's £149.99 so supposedly around $180 - 200

Price in NZ will be NZ$360 up from NZ$300 for the old modulars.

This would equal US$180 considering that that the City vehicle sets going for US$20 will be NZ$40 here. :thumbdown:

Oh sorry, I read too fast. I thought it said $149.99. I would be surprised if it is wider. Perhaps City Hall will be taller? More detailed inside? :look: I'm intrigued.

Oh sorry, I read too fast. I thought it said $149.99. I would be surprised if it is wider. Perhaps City Hall will be taller? More detailed inside? :look: I'm intrigued.

I haven't been this excited for a LEGO product in a long time!

With that many pieces, it better be epic. That's about 400 more pieces than the highest piece count Modular. I can't say I'm too happy about the price hike, but I'll be buying regardless.

Has there been any actual confirmation of a price hike in the US, or is that just speculation based on the price in other countries?

I have a nasty feeling about that number of extra pieces...

... a bit like when we got the Taj Mahal. I wouldn't be surprised

if the Town Hall comes with 100+ seats that you need to build first.

Imagine Jamie Berard laughing his --ss off! :laugh:

I think it would be interesting to see a modular being 48x32 or even 64x32 (with the street side being the longest) for the sake of changing up the line.

I look forward to this set and the building techniques and minifigures it features. The modular buildings always feature clever combinations of otherwise generic parts to make unique characters. I also hope the set features a rare color: a predominantly medium nougat building would be :drool:

-Derek

I also hope the set features a rare color: a predominantly medium nougat building would be :drool:

I agree - it's such a beautiful color for realistic building materials. I'd also like to see more parts in the new olive green color from the Dino theme.

I think it would be interesting to see a modular being 48x32 or even 64x32 (with the street side being the longest) for the sake of changing up the line.

I look forward to this set and the building techniques and minifigures it features. The modular buildings always feature clever combinations of otherwise generic parts to make unique characters. I also hope the set features a rare color: a predominantly medium nougat building would be :drool:

-Derek

How about a building using the 'brick' brick with white columns on the front...it would be a nice old world feel like the others have.

I don't think there are enough extra pieces to increase this from a 32x32 to a 32x48 building, unless the the Town Hall is literally just a 'hall' with a mostly empty space inside. I'm not sure if people would like that, I guess it would depend on how good the building looks on the outside. It would certainly make a change from the previous Modular Building set, which has about six cramped rooms.

I also think the building should stick to mostly white - it's classic and elegant. Whatever the case though, there's very little possibility of me being upset by it, and no possibility of me not buying it.