Hello everyone, 

I have started a new series of video on my channel, about the design process of building a Western Star 6900 Twinsteer Truck (yeah I am a snowrunner player).

I let you say the first part about the chassis

(english subtiles available)

This video presents and describes the building process of creating the truck in Lego Technic, from the beginning of the project, the conception choice to the final result on the chassis. 

I will publish soon the next part about the bodywork.

There is a lot to say, even on such a small creation, so I hope you like this type of content about creating something in Lego 👍

Edited by nico71

7 minutes ago, keymaker said:

When do you plan to air next episode?

I hope next week !

I like this format, it's great to see the steps and failures of the design process, the reasons why you chose this or that technique. Nice chassis you have there so far!

Nico must be the only designer who describes and comments its creations' birth process: this is really precious for MOCers, but also for amators that wonder how MOCs get made the way they are, and not differently. Way to go!!

On 6/24/2022 at 7:47 PM, Celeri said:

Nico must be the only designer who describes and comments its creations' birth process: this is really precious for MOCers, but also for amators that wonder how MOCs get made the way they are, and not differently. Way to go!!

Thanks ! Comment well appreciated !

Awesome work as usual, can be useful the new joints from the zetros for example?, it seems that they are not being used very much around here.

Thanks ! I can not use here as it requires more space in width than the smaller joint.

I saw it at premiere and I will write it here also: It is great video and very imformative, I definatelly rewatch it a couple of times when I will be at body designing in my next MOCs. Any news when the final part will be available?

21 hours ago, keymaker said:

I saw it at premiere and I will write it here also: It is great video and very imformative, I definatelly rewatch it a couple of times when I will be at body designing in my next MOCs. Any news when the final part will be available?

I do not know for now as I am making the instructions :)

19 hours ago, 1gor said:

Nico, maybe I've missed explanation, but why don't you use this panel extension on hood?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=71708&idColor=1#T=C&C=1

There are multiple reason :

• The first is that I have not this part in white, but I could have order it
  • The second is that part is expensive and not common, (I try as I can to use cheap part to be cost effective as long as the build is nice enough)
  • The back quarter shape will collide with the engine below and the frame of the cabin, (but I could modify the engine and the cabin accordinlgy, it will juste make a more complicated build)

So quite answer : compromize... As usual 😊

22 hours ago, nico71 said:

The part 2 is available

I like it, very much, look forward to the next episode.

1 hour ago, nico71 said:

There are multiple reason :

• The first is that I have not this part in white, but I could have order it
  • The second is that part is expensive and not common, (I try as I can to use cheap part to be cost effective as long as the build is nice enough)
  • The back quarter shape will collide with the engine below and the frame of the cabin, (but I could modify the engine and the cabin accordinlgy, it will juste make a more complicated build)

So quite answer : compromize... As usual 😊

I understand; Porsche electric is not cheap set so it could not be seen even as a parts pack 

This is simply amazing. Thanks a lot for dedicating time and effort for this: it truly helps for learn one nice way to bring MOCS to life! 

Watched the 3rd and final part of the Western Star 6900 Truck MOC by Nico71. It just excites me the way the truck pulls up and then drags in the mud pump. That mud pump looks extremely good and polished. I somehow liked its decent off-roading more on grassy field. Its turning radius is decent. Overall, it is one the (few) best Technic MOCs of 2022.

The MOC Looks so well tuned and refined.

Thanks for posting the latest video ! 👍

Here are some additional info about this Western Star 6900 TwinSteer :

The model :

lego-technic-ws-69-ts-2.jpg?i=2074994737

Specs

• Western Star 6900 Twinsteer in Lego Technic : Scale 1/20
  • Dimensions : 48.5cm (L) x 12.6cm (W) x 17.5cm (H) 
  • Weight : 1.4kg
  • 1551 parts (truck), 584 parts (Mudpump)
  • Remote controlled using Control+ Hub and PoweredUp App (Lego) (also compatible with Power Functions systems)
  • Drive : 2 L motor with 12/24, 12/20, 20/28 (differential), 8×4 no locking differential
  • Steering : L motor which drives both axle with different turning radius made using variable connecting rod
  • Winch : L motor with worm gearing
  • Suspensions : Tandem bogies with oscillating arms
  • Removal hood with fake working inline 6 diesel engine
  • Openable doors
  • Diesel Mud Pump in container style with optional motorization

lego-technic-ws-69-ts-4.jpg?i=1897047602

lego-technic-ws-69-ts-15.jpg?i=116837958

Links and design process :

I have documented a lot the design process on this creation in video as you may know, which includes how I have started the project, choosing the scale, the functions, making the chassis and the bodywork with some tips and tricks. 

The load :

The load is a mud pump powered by a 6 inline diesel engine, in a container style. The orange frame can be removed, as well as an optional motorization can be added (see video at 2min for that [youtube]).

lego-technic-ws-69-ts-20.jpg?i=165893771

lego-technic-ws-69-ts-28.jpg?i=195689475

Instructions :

I have separated the mud pump part list from the truck, so there is two rebrickable inventory, one for the truck, and one for mud pump, which is free.

rebrickable_logo.png

Composition :

• Building instructions in PDF for the Western Star 6900 TwinSteer (221 pages / 76mo)
  • Building instructions in PDF for the Mup Pump (79 pages / 22mo)
  • PoweredUp App Tutorial for the Western Star 6900 TwinSteer (23 pages / 6mo)

There is also a picturing bill of material in the instructions, as well as on the preview on my webiste if you prefer.

Final note :

This build took me over 2 months to complete, mostly because I have to film a lot and editing to make the design process video. Apart that, I have made several version about the bodywork to find the perfect balance between design and accuracy. I plan to make a last video about it, more a bonus video where I explain the after building work, which is the creating 3D, instructions etc in order to complete the series.

Regarding the truck abilities, as you can see it is not a trial truck, but handle surprisingly good on "slightly  rough" terrain. Because of its size (wheel base), 8 wheels and weight distribution. In fact this is almost the same feeling about the performance on the real truck in the Snowrunner game : not very efficient, but helped by its size and weight. On very harsh terrain, the 8x4 drivetrain is not enough and the front wheel would need traction, which is not possible because of the scale. Nevertheless, I have replaced the differential by standard gearing to test and it is a bit better in pure-offroading despite the stress in corner. In any case, the ground clearance is the major limitation, after all, it's an off-road truck, but on a small scale (1/20).

lego-technic-ws-69-ts-7.jpg?i=1965291835

Interesting fact, it is almost the same scale has the Berliet T100 I have done, I will make a photo comparison, as it shows that the Berliet is very massive !

I hope you like this truck ! it was a nice project to me to documented my design process, and recreate such an iconic truck from this game 🙂

Edited by nico71

32 minutes ago, nico71 said:

In any case, the ground clearance is the major limitation

Yes, with those rims and tires changing from 2 studs GC to 3 studs GC is a major and very impactful change, which improves off-road capabilities tremendously.

Yes indeed, it just need to have AWD to be very capable. It is possible with small construction on the front but no diff and maybe a more complicated steering without variable turning radius (connecting rod and lever).

I do not like just 4 things, I do not like the rear wheels connected to the red axles, I see them like weak points but they are easy to fix with 5.5 axles, it will not be so beauty but I prefer that way. When I had 8 wheels I will buy it, a lot to learn inside.

Watched the whole series. Really astonoshing model with so many clever details, and superb overall look! Mindblowing good...

One thing I'd like to ask: On the front fender, why didn't a angled connector for the outer rear part like you did in the front?

Nico, first off, the video format is really great, you talk about so many interesting and important things! Thanks for all the info. I might try something similar for one of my next creations :)

About the model, great work on that suspension, really nice compact design on both axles! And I completely agree with you that it's more important to catch some definitive features of the model in a clean way that fits lego pieces nicely than to get everything into correct scale, or get every tiny detail with a bunch of non-coherent pieces. I think coherency of parts, continuity of shapes and surfaces, is often overlooked unfortunately.

One detail I wonder about, you built the hood with a curved panel, but the real truck seems much more square to me at the front and the round one gives it a different character. Did you think about / make an attempt to build the hood without the curved panel, but with a more defined edge? I suspect that the curved panel makes it much easier to make that turn from the side to the top of the hood, but maybe it could be possible to build an angled version?

Thanks for your message !

@gyenesvi The hood was a bit tough indeed. On the real truck, as you said it is more angular. 

I have not choose this option, because I want to use the elbow piece for the front grill, because other part like angled connector or just brick look too edgy. So to maintain the homogeneous of the shape, I have chosen the curved panel for the hood. 

The option would have been to use curved brick or some slope but it made the front grill and the hood more complicated (plus that I do not have the part but I could order them). So this is more a technic approach on it to maintain a low part count and sturdy design to play with it. Of course if the truck was made with regular brick, the level of details and accuracy would have been better, but I am not skilled enough for that (and I had still not the parts ^^)

@Jundis I use this constructions rather than the angled connector because it need a bit more angled to touch the rear ladder and avoid the collision with the rear sterable axle. Indeed, the mudguard is not center on the two steerable axle. The front one is going one stud further because the axle steer a lot. And the rear part goes one stud less far to keep the proportion, and because the rear sterable axle steer less, so I have put this small build like a beam to compensate that and have the correct angle to touch the ladder.

You can see it here :

lego-technic-ws-69-ts-3.jpg

(despite the build does not touch really the ladder on this picture because it can rotate and I have not checked it correctly 😖)

Edited by nico71

I have issued a last video about the Western Star, about what happened when the creation is done. I talk about the 3D model, instructions, review etc :

The Western Star Truck is also available for sale on Buildamoc now, in a complete package (Genuine Lego Parts + PDF Instructions), with or without the mud pump, see : https://buildamoc.com/products/western-star-6900-twinsteer