11 hours ago, nico71 said:

Indeed ! It looks like an old Fiat but I did not find the exact model.

My bad Nico - Please browse Zaz 965

Right a few hours after I say in another topic that the Chiron has very few alternate models... BAM, Nico presents one! And my, does it look good!

Thanks, I do not know if unseal a Chiron is worth for an alternate model but I am happy that you like the model !

I wanted to make something different than a car with this set as the restrictive inventory and the two shade of blue were complicated to manage and that I didn't want to reproduce a car but with strange looking because of the shade of blue. I will published the creation on the 4th of Oct. and explain the design process behind.

Just read up on the race truck.  I really like:

• The model itself...its a good choice since it allows for a consistent "thickness" to improve stability.  My struggles with 8:1 models is that they are very difficult to make sufficiently sturdy since there is typically only a thin center console to support the length of the model.
  • The ability to see the full transmission
  • The design is gorgeous

Couple questions:

• Does it have Ackerman steering?  (I'm guessing not since you didn't call it out :)).
  • The video seems to show minimal steering angle; is this correct or just how it looked in the video?  Since its not a 4wd I was hoping for a better steering angle.
  • Since you only use 2 shocks in the back did you consider using 3 each on the front to address the sagging when the cabin is open?

Regardless I'll probably purchase the instructions.  Since I have a lot of extra (non Bugatti) parts lying around I'll likely mod it to see if I can add 4wd and Ackerman.

Thanks ! I have not the time to present the model here but I will in the week.

Having the gearbox and other mechanism visible was one part of the design process because I did not want to roll over the model to see underneath the mecanism.

For your questions, I have minimize the turning radius because of the collision between the wheels and the shock absorbers. As the Bugatti comes with this part as suspensions arm, it doesn't offer many solution to fix the shock absorbers. I could not use a linkage mechanism because of the control beam which pass under the chassis to connect the cabin controls.

To enable a better turning radius, you can remove the 3/4 pin in the steering mechanism which act as end stop (page 18, step 36), you will gain more turning radius but the endstops will be the wheels against the shock absorbers.

I can not put an other shock absorbers to the other side because there where the connecting rod for the steering mechanism.

I hope it answer to your questions :)

Here is the presentation of my new creation :

42083 Model B – Race Truck

An alternate model of the 42083 – Bugatti Chiron, as a Race Truck. Features, steering with steering wheel and HOG, 8 speeds DNR gearbox with controls inside and outside the cabin, suspensions, openable elements and tilting cabin, with building instructions.

Lego-42083-model-b-race-truck-1.jpg

Context

After creating my alternate model for the 42115 – Lamborghini Sian, I wanted to make an other alternative for a super car set that I had : the Lego Technic 42083 – Bugatti Chiron. I wanted at first to create another car with the parts, but considering the limited inventory and two-tone colour, it was hard to find a suitable model. The limited number of existing alternate builds for this set have proven that it is not easy to come up with a solution. So, as for my 42115 alternate model, I have made something “different” and built this race truck inspired by the Mercedes Tankpool24. Again, it should be my first 1/8 alternate super car, but it is a 1/12 truck.

Lego-42083-model-b-race-truck-4.jpg

Functions

The functions are quite standard but with interesting design behind. First the steering, it is operated by a rack and pinion though a bevel gearing connected to a hand of god located on the centre of the chassis. I did not want to put the HOG on the top of the cabin to avoid the possible tilting of the model due to the overhand of the heavy cabin. The steering wheel is connected to the steering mechanism with a U-join and a 8-tooth gear which drives a 24-tooth on the chassis. It enables to be quick disconnected when the cabin is tilted.

Lego-42083-model-b-race-truck-13.jpg

The second functions are the suspensions. The front suspensions are double wishbone with two shock absorbers by side, to compensate the heavy weight of the cabin. The rear suspensions is a rigid axle with only two shock absorbers with more angled design to compensate the difference of weight between the front and rear. 

Lego-42083-model-b-race-truck-6.jpg

The heart of the model is the gearbox. It is composed of a DNR selector which enables to choose between : drive (wheels drive the gearbox which drives the fake V8 engine), Neutral, or Reverse (wheel drives the fake V8 engine directly counter clockwise). The gearbox is based on my previous 8 sequential gearbox from the 42115 model B – Ford F150 (which is already based on the project “pimp my sian“). I have reworked the axle I have used and how it is build to reduce the friction and enables a smoother functioning, especially on the steeper mechanism.

Lego-42083-model-b-race-truck-22.jpg

The control of the gearbox are placed on each side of the Hog on the centre of the chassis. The left selector (grey beam) is used to choose the mode (D, N, R) and the right selector is used to choose the speed. You can note that I used a small trick with connectors and coloured axle to label the way each functions works with + and – signs, and colour coded (red on left side, + is drive, – is reverse, yellow on right side,+ is upper speed, – is downer speed). I wanted to place the operating lever on the chassis for easy controlling (compare to my 42115 Ford F150) but I did not want to have a cabin empty of controls. That is why I have used a linkage mechanism to connect each selector to other control in the cabin. Like that, the two grey beams inside the cabin are also connected to the gearbox functions. 

Lego-42083-model-b-race-truck-16.jpg

As, the cabin can be tilted to reveal the mechanism and the detailed engine, the cabin gearbox controls are fixed on the chassis to minimize the play in functioning to have a better functioning. You can note also that I have used a small bar to divide the space between the two gearbox controls inside the cabin, rather than used a beam or connector to minimize the friction. It is not perfect in terms of reliability because of the play in the linkage mechanism but add a nice design feature inside the cabin.

Lego-42083-model-b-race-truck-7.jpg

Last functions are about the openable elements. As told before, the cabin can be tilted, but also have the openable doors which reveal a detailed interior with seat, dashboard, gearbox control and fire extinguisher. The centre of the chassis has also some openable elements, to reveal the gearbox, the steeper mechanism and the gearbox lock mechanism. I find this feature very interesting to understand how the gearbox works and avoid having to return the model to look underneath.

Lego-42083-model-b-race-truck-11.jpg

Design Process

As usual, when building an alternate model with specific inventory, I have started by the bodywork, to ensure that it is possible to build something good and enough recognizable. Therefore I have started to build the front and rear bumper, then the cabin, and finish with the side. It was not easy as the amount of coloured parts is limited and that it lacks some important parts like azure or dark blue connectors. The idea was so to compensate the lack of connectors by choosing the correct orientation of the beam and the panel, and fill the hole with other parts like tile and plate but also black parts. Apart from some blue connectors which is not very pretty to see, I find the result very good, with a plain cabin without strange colour or constructions but also a plain below bodywork with bumpers and side. Even if the bottom of the cabin is dark blue instead of azure blue, it reminds the below bodywork and works fine in term of visual appearance.

Lego-42083-model-b-race-truck-3.jpg

To talk about the design of this creation, I would like to introduce the “flow” or “fluidic” principle. It is a way to describe how aerodynamic a design is, by talking about how the different elements are visually connected and how they look homogeneous between them. For this model, I wanted to have a “racing” style in terms of design. That is why it has a massive bumper wider than the cabin for instance and that I choose the have the rear wheel a bit higher than the front, to make the truck plunging on the front. I have also create a sort of ascending line which goes front the front to the rear with the side panels used for the cabin, but also with a non horizontal cabin roof with rear spoiler. Last trick about the design is to keep the homogeneity in the building. In Lego, it is made by choosing the correct orientation of the beam, placement and colour of the panels and cover the hole when it is not nice to see. For instance, the bottom of the bumpers and sides is black, to enhance the perception of the other coloured parts like the side or the above part of the bumper.

Lego-42083-model-b-race-truck-23.jpg

But this creation has also its limitations, mainly because of the restrictions of the parts. First the model could be better in terms is styling by replacing the blue connector by azure or dark blue connectors or replace some coloured axle which is too much visible. I would appreciate to have more flexible parts like ribbed hose to create more exhaust pipe and turbo, to have a more detailed and powerful engine. Regarding the functioning, I would like to have other suspensions arms to have a different placement for the shock absorbers or put it one more on each side. Because, when the cabin is tilted, the weight compress the shock absorbers and the truck is plunging. It works fine when the cabin is in place but I would have to have more stiffness on front suspensions.  More ball joint elements would have been interesting to create a proper live axle for the rear instead of a basic rigid axle.

As the HOG and gearbox controls are on the chassis, it is easy to operate it, combining with a visible mechanisms with opening elements, it gives a didactic model for understanding of the gearbox mechanism I like also the fact this alternate model is simply not a 1/8 supercar as everyone can expect. This is something unexpected from a original set like that and at the final, the parts restrictions fits well this truck.

Video

I will create a design secrets video of this creations showing the detailed design process in some weeks. You can find the building instructions and more pictures on my website.

I hope you like, do not hesitate to comment, ask questions :)

Edited by nico71
Resize pictures.

This is extraordinary!  The aesthetics are better than most A-models, and I am impressed you fit in a sequential 8-speed.  The '+' and '-' markings are a small detail but a clever one.

This model is fantastic and I'm not even a racing truck guy. At first sight I would say there was something wrong with the headlights, but discovered these are stream-lined after searching for the real Mercedes Tankpool24.

I've some questions though:

• in the design proces, do you use blueprints? How do you use them?
  • do you keep the Bugatti parts aside from your collection or do you have another system for managing the limited parts?

Hi, indeed it is inspired by the Mercedes Tankpool24 but the design was mainly decided in functions of the Lego parts, so some parts of the original design can be modified to fit the Lego constructions.

Regarding the design process, I use indeed a kind of blueprint (here it was rendering picture from Forza Horizon 4 because it doesn't exist) to have the correct proportions and scale which I scale with paint.net. Then I work from pictures to reproduce the model (specific picture or general truck picture for inspiration), I have also a engineering background which helps to figure out how the original model are designed to reproduce what I can not see (chassis, transmission, axle etc).

For the parts, I have build the Bugatti, and then dismantled and sorting in a specific tray (STÖDJA storage from Ikea), like that I can only work with the limited amount of parts and see what it remains.

This came out fantastic! I really like the shape. You truly have talent for big alternative models :thumbup: If not considering that this is a B model, it would definitely benefit with some racing stickers, but since it is a B model it is understood that stickers would be a bit of a questionable choice, especially because those are rarely easy to remove.

Best regards.

New creation for Halloween ! A box which contains a jumping spider revealed by a turning crank. With free video tutorial and pro building instructions.

lego-halloween-box-1.jpg

This Halloween creation is a simple creation, but, compared to my previous Halloween creation, I would like to go further with an interactive creation. After making some research about scary things, like clown or Lego set price, I have found the “jack in the box“. This idea was perfect for Halloween. At first I wanted to build a scary clown, but it was to hard with Lego Technic parts, so I have chosen a easy subject : a spider.

lego-halloween-box-2.jpg

Regarding the functioning, the spider is mounted on a linkage mechanism with two springs. These springs are built in a way to be lock on the downer position, but start to push as soon as the system is triggered. The trigger is made with a rotating lever connected to the crank which pushes the parallelogram. The openable top part of the box is also spring loaded to help to open it and keep in open position.

lego-halloween-box-4.jpg

I use some trick to have a correct functioning. The mechanism is equipped with two rubber parts to absorb the shock on the endstop. The top openable part is equipped with rolling parts, in order to reduce the friction to open the box. The trigger lever can rotate in both directions without endstop. It helps to not know when the spider will jump. It is also equipped with friction gear in order that the user can not feel when the trigger is operated.

lego-halloween-box-5.jpg

It contributes to have a spider that surprises, in that way we do not know when it will jump. So if someone comes to your house to ask for candy, ask him to just turn the crank of this box before…

Gif animation of the movement (gif)

English video (with subtiles) of how it works and tutorial to build it at the end :

As the creation is pretty simple, I do not want to only make a pro-building instructions for sale. So I have experimented a new video format. I have made a free tutorial video (see above) and the pro-building instructions which is for sale. Both way enables to build the Halloween spider box, but if you want to follow an easier document created in a same way as the official Lego instructions, I recommend to buy the pro-building instructions. You can find this pro-instructions for sale on my website : https://www.nico71.fr/halloween-spider-box/ and see some preview including the partlist.

Happy Halloween !

Not sure where to put this in its own topic or not, but since it is mostly Nico's work I'll put it here :).  

After building the Bugatti alternative I wanted to improve two things: the steering radius and the weight distribution.   I had managed to improve the steering radius in the original design, but had sacrificed sturdiness.  The front-heaviness of the vehicle caused the front suspension to be a little mushy and the back suspension to be a little too firm; and made "driving" the vehicle difficult.  I thus decided to try to create a race truck similar to this: Freightliner

I also didn't limit myself only to the Bugatti pieces, though the vast majority of the pieces are from the Bugatti.  Here is the result: https://photos.app.goo.gl/N37VqtCcx8Yf8ePK9

Edited by danielhstahl

Nice modification ! Indeed the inventory has a lot of limitation of this set, especially for the colors. I was planning at first to create a Buggyra truck with hood nose but didn't manage to get a proper design and color balance with the parts, that is why I came to a European truck.

New creation : A Lego Technic Telescope, based on Newton tube with equatorial mount. Features folding tripod with extendable legs, azimuth, altitude, right ascension and declination movements. With building instructions and package ready to build at Buildamoc.

lego-technic-telescopel-1024-1.jpg

Presentation

It is not a surprise, I am a big fan of space and astronomy. I have purchased years ago a Newtonian telescope and -to be honest- I do not use as much as I would, because of the weight, the size and the needed time to assembled and make the polar alignment. So, why not creating a smaller version with working axis ? It will not used to see the star, but being a nice space toy and decorating object. Here is the result.

lego-technic-telescopel-1024-2.jpg

This telescope is based on newton tube with equatorial mount. Which means, you need to make a polar alignment before pointing something to watch. And then , you only need to rotate the right ascension adjustment to follow a object.  My Lego version is of course equipped with these rotation axis, with the altitude, azimuth, declination and right ascension adjustment but also some iconic details. It gives these dimensions as the result : 16.5cm (length) x 16.5cm (width) x 33.5cm (height).

lego-technic-telescopel-1-label.jpg

The declination and right ascension movement are made using worm screw on 24t gears to ensure irreversibility of the movements. While the azimuth and altitude are friction based movements. The azimuth axis is simply made with a small turntable, while the altitude movement is controlled by friction linkage which gives two stable positions due to the weight of the tube. 

lego-technic-telescopel-1024-3.jpg

The telescope is equipped with folding tripod with extendable legs made of sliding axle on friction beam. But also nice details like the counter weight, red dot finder, eye piece and cross section on the entrance of the tube, which make this type of telescope recognizable. It can also taken apart for storage as real, with removable tube, accessories, equatorial mount and folding tripod.

lego-technic-telescopel-1024-7.jpg

I do not think I will make a design secrets on this creation as it is quite simple but to talk more about the design process : I have started by making the tripod. Indeed, I wanted to make a small creation, in order to be proposed for sale on Buildamoc, that is why I have chosen a 3 studs wide for the leg of tripod with central sliding feet made with a axle. I have made then many prototypes for the folding mechanism in terms of scale, collision and building.

After scaling this tripod, I have made the tube with accessories, and start working on the equatorial mount. I wanted to make the right ascension, declination and altitude adjustment as on the real one, with worm screw and gearing. I have succeeded for the declination and right ascension but not for the altitude which is friction based linkage on my Lego version, while using a screw on the real one, because of the available space. Despite this default, I am really satisfied with the building of the equatorial mount. Putting all these rotation movements in this small build was not easy to do, that is why this part is full of trick to attach the parts together and using half beam to respect the scale.

Pictures and Video

Instruction and Buildamoc package

This creation is perfect for an astronomy and space lover, as a gift, or for decorating your interior with cool and simple Lego toy. That is why I wanted to propose it for sale on Buildamoc in one package, with Lego genuine parts and PDF building instructions. You can purchase this complete package on the website Buildamoc or just the building instructions on nico71.fr if you have already the parts.

lego-technic-telescopel-packshot-1.jpg

For more pictures and purchase the building instructions : https://www.nico71.fr/lego-technic-telescope/

telescopepreview1.jpg

The instructions are step by step high resolution computer generated instructions with partlist, flexible parts, white edge on dark parts, highlighted parts for each step (300DPI, 69 pages / 45mo). The picturing bill of material is visible in the instruction previews and includes in the instructions. You can also checked the needed parts on Rebrickable :

rebrickable_logo.png Inventory on rebrickable (257 parts)

I hope you like this type of small creation, which is between a fidget toy and decorating object if you like astronomy / space. Usually I do not keep anything built but I think I will made an exception for this one ! (and prepared to removed dust each weeks...)

Edited by nico71
Correcting size of an image

On 11/26/2021 at 6:24 PM, Celeri said:

So unusual and nice looking at the same time: bravo Nico !

Nice tripod! As for me looks way more attractive than another car!

Maybe installing any transparent radars inside it will add points to the realism?
And I guess this tripod can be very useful also as a phone/gopro holder.