23 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Really nice choice of model and implementation, I am also planning to use a different version of Ford F150/250 in another project. I like the suspension, especially the rear, really tight one. One thing I don't understand though: are there more links to hold the rear axle in place? I can only see two lower ones, there should one or two more somewhere, right?

Thanks ! The axle do not require 2 links but only one as the two arms which hold the axle is fixed in one direction (pivot, not ball joint). And this last link, is the U-join, placed on the center and in the same plan of pivot to guide the axle.

For the muddy tire, yes I plan to test different wheel and made a photo shooting, but not immediately. For now, I think the 81mm balloon fit wheel the wheel arch and the turning function. The 107mm tractor tire or 94.8mm balloon are too big to turn but fit the wheel arch in high position. The fact is that the distance between the wheel and the internal pivot point is not very big compare to Sian and Chiron wheel, which means the turning will be a problem with centered rims like tractor or ballons one.

Edited by nico71

12 hours ago, Jerry LEGO Creations said:

This is an alternate of which you can only tell it is one by looking at the parts... It's very well made!

Thanks Jerry :)

On 6/8/2021 at 8:43 AM, nico71 said:

Thanks ! The axle do not require 2 links but only one as the two arms which hold the axle is fixed in one direction (pivot, not ball joint). And this last link, is the U-join, placed on the center and in the same plan of pivot to guide the axle.

Oh, right, since you are using only one U-joint on the incoming axle (not two corresponding to the two ends of the link), it's also restricting the movement, and I guess the other key to make it sufficient is that the ball joint is exactly below the axle that drives the wheel, so the whole rear axle does not want to fall too much in either direction in the first place, it is kind of balanced by itself, nice trick. Though I guess this construction would be a bit weak for hard off-roading with larger forces hitting the rear axle.. But really nice for this model!

3 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Oh, right, since you are using only one U-joint on the incoming axle (not two corresponding to the two ends of the link), it's also restricting the movement, and I guess the other key to make it sufficient is that the ball joint is exactly below the axle that drives the wheel, so the whole rear axle does not want to fall too much in either direction in the first place, it is kind of balanced by itself, nice trick. Though I guess this construction would be a bit weak for hard off-roading with larger forces hitting the rear axle.. But really nice for this model!

Yes indeed the act also as a part of the suspensions as it move in translation during suspensions work but also rotate to compensate the movement due to the U-join. As you said the only limit will be in high torque as the U-join has to handle the torque and hold the suspension.

Hello !

Here is the design secrets of the 42115 alternate model Ford F150. It explains how the functions work and how it has been designed

If you tolerate my French accent, it could be interesting to understand the design process behind such creation :) 

Hi! I really love the detailing of your ford pickup, and it demonstrates great use of limited pieces. I was wondering if the same chassis could be used, with a different bodywork and interior, to make a ford mustang? The suspension setup and gearbox are the same...

Hello, 

I have not tested but if the proportion for the wheel base and width fit, so it should be ok. You need to remove the adjustable suspensions as the shock absorbers will be too high for the hood, and remove the front differential to have a rear wheel drive only.

Hi Nico,

I sincerely praise your wish to share your knowledge and ideas in videos such as these: even if I will never get somewhere close as you in LEGO design, it makes me feel a little smarter each time! :thumbup:

Imho this is one of the best alternatibe models of Sian. Functionality is very impressive! Either the design! This lowered pick up looks very cool. Most of all I like black lower part of the body. Despite it occurred because of the lack of the green 3*11 panels))

11 hours ago, Celeri said:

Hi Nico,

I sincerely praise your wish to share your knowledge and ideas in videos such as these: even if I will never get somewhere close as you in LEGO design, it makes me feel a little smarter each time! :thumbup:

Thanks ! If it helps someone, then it makes my day :)

10 hours ago, Aleh said:

Imho this is one of the best alternatibe models of Sian. Functionality is very impressive! Either the design! This lowered pick up looks very cool. Most of all I like black lower part of the body. Despite it occurred because of the lack of the green 3*11 panels))

Thanks ! Indeed, black trim looks cool too. The Best option would certainly be 1x 11L blakc beams and 2x 11L lime beams to replace the 3x11 black panel.

Fiat 500 F – 1965

A Lego Technic replica of a 1965 Fiat 500 F, features steering, working two cylinders engine, torsion bar suspensions, openable elements and detailed interior.

Lego-fiat-500-1.jpg

Context

After completing my replica of the Citroen 2Cv and Mehari, I had many other small iconic cars in mind to do, which includes this lovely Fiat 500. I have chosen the F model which came in 1965 because of the doors which opens in the “correct” way, the openable hood (better playability) and the lack of big chromed front and rear bars which would be hard to reproduce (on the L model for instance). You can read more about this iconic small Italian car on wikipedia.

Lego-fiat-500-2.jpg

Functions

The idea was to reproduce this Fiat 500 with the same wheel as on my Citroen 2Cv and Mehari, which is a good combination to have functions, details and average price for the parts. The Fiat 500 is a smaller car, so, equipped with the 43.2mm tires, it gives a 1/11.5 scale instead of 1/15, for 26cm long, 11cm wide, 11.5cm height and weight 0.6kg. But it is packed with many functions.

Lego-fiat-500-6.jpg

The first obvious functions are the openable elements. The doors can be opened, revealing a detailed interior with front and rear seats, dashboard, gearshift lever, but also handbrake and some details on the central console. The front bonnet can open and be locked with a small hood rod, which reveals the fuel tank. On the original model, there is also a spare tire, but not on my replica due to the available space. To finish with the openable elements, the rear bonnet/trunk can be open, which reveal the detailed working two cylinders engine.

Lego-fiat-500-7.jpg

The second function is the steering. It is operated by the steering wheel, which is connected to a lever with two U-joins, and connected to the right steering knuckle with a 6L rod. Then a underneath 9L rod connect the left steering knuckle. There is no Hand Of God steering.

The interesting feature of this creation is the suspension. Indeed, the model is equipped with independent torsion bar suspensions with swinging arm. I put this mechanism the first time on the 43093 alternate, it enables to have a small travel suspension when the scale doesn’t authorise to have big shock absorbers. The Citroen 2Cv and Mehari have shock absorbers but placed horizontally in the chassis, which was not possible on this model. Consequently each swinging arm is mounted with an axle which can not rotate on a extremity. Of course, considering the small travel and the weight of the model, there is no wear or damage on the axle as it use the elasticity domain of the raw material. It add a uncommon feature if you compare with the same scale original Lego sets like the 43093 or the 42123.

Lego-fiat-500-11.jpg

To finish with the functions, the right rear wheel is connected to the two cylinders engine which brings motion to it. The left wheel is not connected, and there is no differential, because of the lack of space due to the suspensions. In any case, it is a great addition comparing to my previous 1/15 vehicles as there were no fake engine on these creations. You can note also that the crankshaft axle is also the suspensions articulation. The engine is detailed with exhaust, ignition coil, cylinder head with oil filler cap. The small fan on the left is also powered by the engine though a rubber band.

Design Process

Usually, with cars, I start by the bodywork, but not this time. Indeed, I have started by the chassis to be sure first that it is possible to create it. It had to have the steering and suspensions on the front axle, but also the transmission and the suspension on the rear, plus the cantilevered engine which is used as a part of the chassis for fixing the rear bodywork elements. The bodywork uses a lot of building techniques to have good proportions. Indeed, at this scale, sometime you can’t settle for the classic stud grid, that is why I have use lot of parts to create half-stud gap to have the correct proportion and position. 

Lego-fiat-500-3.jpg

1/2 beams are used for instance on the undersides to hold the soft axles, in order to have the correct shape on the mudguards (not too big, not too small) completing with this part to fill the gap caused by the half stud gap. Same techniques for fixing the front and rear bodywork with this partHalf stud connectors are used to attach the roof assembly and have the correct length of different side parts (windshield, rear window). Other even / odd construction are used on the front assembly to attach the whole elements (side light, lights, bodywork, etc) as well as on the rear with the light and the hood.

To finish, you can note that on each side of the roof, I use massively beams 2L to create the rounded shape of the roof. It was a bit tricky to find a correct solution which also matches the rear and side windows, but it was really important to me because a flat roof would have look terrible at this scale for this vehicle.

Lego-fiat-500-5.jpg

After completing the bodywork, I have created the interior which is rather simple but full of details. Indeed, to compare with my other 1/15 scale vehicle, I wanted to go further (as always you will tell me). That is why I have used many non-technic parts to create the correct shape for the elements. It includes for instance, the dashboard, the central console with the gearshift lever, box and handbrake but also under the hood with the fuel tank and the central part of the hood. Consequently, the model has 964 parts ! Which is huge for a 26cm long vehicle (732 parts for the 2Cv)

After finishing the red version, I wanted to propose an other colour. Considering the used parts, I was able to switch colour to white with some part changes. You can see the result here :

fiat500-1.jpg

fiat500-white-1.jpg

fiat500-4.jpg

fiat500-white-3.jpg

Of course the model has its limitations. For instance, I am not entirely satisfied about the anchor point of the windshield and the side of the roof, which doesn’t look so homogeneous. Other drawback is the lack of homogeneity between the doors and the side rear panels which don’t have the same beam orientation, creating a visual break on the side. On the doors, the 2L beams which create the beltline of the car, are not locked and can rotate. Last drawback is the lack of rigidity of the rear part due to the half stud gap fixation. Nevertheless, I am really happy with the result which is good and recognisable, it is always a compromise to create something in Lego, especially at this scale.

Pictures and Video

Building Instructions

fiat500preview-vers-2048x723.jpg

I have made two building instructions for this creation, red and white version which are for sale (7.5€). They are step by step high resolution computer generated instructions with partlist, flexible parts, highlighted parts in the same way as official Lego one (you can see preview samples on my website or on rebrickable. You can buy it on my website or on rebrickable :

The both version are also available for sale on buildamoc which includes the genuine Lego parts + PDF instructions (119€ when I write this post): https://buildamoc.com/collections/nico71/products/fiat-500-f

fiat500-buildamoc-thumb.jpg

I hope you appreciate this moc, fell free to comment, ask questions, criticize ! :classic:

Edited by nico71

Hi @nico71, I really like your work and this MOC is also awesome. I really enjoyed the video on youtube and your extensive description on this forum is also a joy to read. 

About colors, I think the red color is way better then the white one. Also green, yellow and blue should be fun to see, cheers!

Thanks @GerritvdG ! In fact I have tried to propose more colours, but it was difficult because of the parts used, especially some connectors and thin beams which are not available in some colours. For now, I can create the black and dark-bluish gray version with some parts changes, but they are not really fancy colours. But who knows, when Lego release the 42114 with yellow small panels, it enables me to propose the Citroen 2Cv in Yellow. So I hope Lego will release more green / blue sets ! 

Very nice! I wish that this MOC could have a removable HOG just like the 2CV, but this is the only shortcoming I could see, everything else is awesome, especially considering the scale... Any fan of the Fiat 500 will surely want to build it! :thumbup:

Really nice model. I didn't know that some 500 had antagonist doors whereas 500f shows the classical setup.

1 hour ago, fosamax said:

Really nice model. I didn't know that some 500 had antagonist doors whereas 500f shows the classical setup.

Indeed ! 

fiat-500-1962-fiat-500-500d-trasformabil

9 hours ago, Celeri said:

Very nice! I wish that this MOC could have a removable HOG just like the 2CV, but this is the only shortcoming I could see, everything else is awesome, especially considering the scale... Any fan of the Fiat 500 will surely want to build it! :thumbup:

Thanks ! Yes I wish I could too. The front torsion bar suspensions are longitudinal, which give less space inside the frame compared to the transversal arms of the Citroen 2CV. Combining with a smaller dimensions I was not able to create an hog.

So I replace this lack of feature by way more details inside the car. Where the Citroen 2Cv has only seats and steering, the Fiat has Dashboard, central consol, gearshift etc. It explains also why the number of parts is high regarding the size (964).  

Awesome little model. Always nice to see an oval real life model being faithfully recreated with parts. :thumbup:

On 7/30/2021 at 11:32 AM, nico71 said:

So I hope Lego will release more green / blue sets ! 

Yes, indeed! Green and blue parts are of course more limited, I didn't thought about that. But are the needed parts also not available in yellow? 

If you did not see it, here is the design secrets of my reproduction of the Fiat 500. Where I explain how it works and how I have designed it :)

I didn’t saw it yet, thanks for sharing. I really like this model and the way you present it in this video, also the spoken comment adds value and makes it far more interesting and personal. 

The details such as the driven fan and the interior are really neat. One thing that came in mind is if you considered using other colours then black for the central console. The risk now is that some details are hard to see (on video)..

Edited by GerritvdG
Typo

18 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

I didn’t saw it yet, thanks for sharing. I really like this model and the way you present it in this video, also the spoken comment adds value and makes it far more interesting and personal. 

The details such as the driven fan and the interior are really neat. One thing that came in mind is if you considered using other colours then black for the central console. The risk now is that some details are hard to see (on video)..

Thanks ! I am trying to enhance the quality of this type of video with more section like the history, the limitation of the model, etc. Indeed, I would have preferred to have an other interior colour but I have not the parts to make it in lighter colour.

This beautiy distantly reminds me Zaz 968 from that ancient times :)

On 8/31/2021 at 2:59 PM, Aleh said:

This beautiy distantly reminds me Zaz 968 from that ancient times :)

Indeed ! It looks like an old Fiat but I did not find the exact model.