very nice indeed!

It could not work with the larger Lego pump either or multiples of them? or it works but just not so well I take it.

Thanks ! If you are talking about this one, unfortunately, I have not tested as I have not.

What I know if that the engine requires a constant air flow as the air flow affect the force needed to pinch the hose. I have tested with 5 pump and one air tank and it was not enough stable to run smooth (work some rotationa dn stall and did not work). I have only one air tank so I can not test more but I assume a 1L reservoir is a minimum, therefore it could work with any pump but only with a reservoir, and it will work until the bottle is empty, so pump doesn't matter in this condition. A better qpprocha would be considering no lego pump and reservoir like a automotive / small compressor, bike or matress pump with a bit of DIY to connect with the hose (ballon needle is very easy for that).

Super creative! Can you estimate how much power/torque the pneumatic engine delivers at 3 bar? For instance, is it more or less than an M-motor.

Hard to know, I think it is more or less the same torque as it seems to be as easy to stop a M than this pneumatic motor. But the M motor can drop the speed very low before stalling, when the pneumatic engine is very sensitive to low RPM it has no torque at low, and have the maximum torque at maximum speed. With the max speed of about 120rpm, it will give about 1W of power.

42093 Model C – Sand Buggy

An alternate model of the 42093 – Corvette ZR1 as a sand buggy, features steering, fake L3 engine and suspensions, with building instructions.

lego-42093-sand-buggy-1

Context

Few months ago, I have reviewed the #42093 Corvette ZR1 set, and I though it was a very great set, for display, for beginner or for the parts. Then I wanted to created an alternate model to try to re-use the inventory to create something different with the difficulty and compromise inherent to this process. Here is the result.

lego-42093-sand-buggy-2

Functions

The 42093 set is now a pretty old set, which means that there are many of alternate builds available on Rebrickable. That is why I wanted to create something different in functions, to not only create a steering / fake engine vehicle, but add a nice function which would not have been done before. This function is the suspensions.

lego-42093-sand-buggy-4

The rear suspension is an oscillating rear axle made with the unique soft-axle in the set. The front suspensions are double wishbones suspensions, with torsion bars. You can see these torsion bars underneath the chassis with perpendicular orange connector and 1/2 pin which create the end stop and the correct angle of rest position. The length of the torsion bar is 11L which ensures a good travel and soft suspension but hard enough to not damage the axle in rest position (the weight is not enough to twist the torsion bar which is an important feature for a playset).

lego-42093-sand-buggy-6

The other functions are quite classic. The hand of god on the roof operates the steering with a 12t/12t bevel gearing, which operates a fork-lever system connected to the front axle steering. The design key here is that the linkage between the two wheels is an articulated linkage which floats on the fork-lever system. It enables to operate the steering with the suspensions without the need to have ball joints (which are not present in the set). But of course this solution is not suitable for big vehicle because of the play in the mechanism.

lego-42093-sand-buggy-5

The last functions is the fake L3 engine, which is pretty small comparing to the original V8 of the Corvette ! It uses the same principle but use 1/2 pin instead of 3L axle which gives a smaller construction. The key features is that this engine is mounted on the oscillating axle due to the available room in the creation, but is driven by spur gear on the differential with a 20t gear. This is a pretty unusual solution, not use by Lego, because it needs some play to work (that is why there no bush between the 20t gear and the 2L beam). It allows to have a very compact solution to mount of the axle comparing to a classic bevel construction.

Design

Functions are important for a playset, but design too ! It has to catch the eyes by the shape, the colour, the details, but also have a  smooth / homogeneous design, and at this scale the design is part of the chassis and functions. Ok, that’s a lot for a 453-parts small set. Therefore, the approach have been to create the chassis and the functions to validate the raw dimensions regarding the size of the wheel and the available space, and then started the design process.

Sand-Buggy_render_1

I have been inspired by SVV vehicle from Segway or other buggy because of the leaning design of the front part, with lifted rear which enables to have a great and recognizable look despite the size of the creation (It would have been difficult for instance to reproduce a other licensed car like a Ferrari). I have tried many variations for the design with frame-looking or more paneled one. But as usual with small creations, this is the parts which mostly guide the design . That is why I use the available mudguards and panels for the bodywork but with some angled builds, like the front shape and the side. Then I have added some details to “polish” the creation, with seats, dashboard, light, exhaust, radiator  but also fill some empty space.  The only improving point for me is that I would have preferred to have more ‘all terrain tires’ to enhance the look of the creations.

Video

Building Instructions

42093modelC-bi1

As for my previous alternate model, I have created the building instructions. This is a pro-looking 3D-rendering building instructions with step by step partlist, in a same way as the Lego do. You only required the parts of the original #42093 set to build this alternate model.

You can buy this instructions on my website for 5€.

Do not hesitate to ask questions and comment :)

Hello everyone, this is my last creation of 2020, a tiny one but with one aim : make a simple pneumatic engine which can run with only two pumps, and unmodified switch or cylinder. I propose this moc for purchase on Buildamoc as a low price in order people who want to have a simple and functional pneumatic engine can do, for them or for gift. That is why I have chosen carefully the parts and how it works, and how the switching mechanism is made. I propose also the instructions for sale for 5€ in three version, I know it can make nervous some people so I tell it at the beginning (and we can debate of course of it). I let you read the article that you can also read on my blog.

Vertical Lego Pneumatic Engine

lego-pneumatic-vertical-engine-1

Design Process

Since the launch of the new service Buildamoc, I wanted to create an affordable and reliable small pneumatic engine, to compare with the more expensive Steam Machine. Therefore, I have chosen to use only one cylinder and one switch, in order to be able to run with only 2x Lego pumps and reduce the cost to the minimum. I wanted also to propose a design which can work with any switch or cylinder, even the hardest, in order to be sure it will works.

lego-pneumatic-vertical-engine-3

There were consequently two challenges : make the engine running with only one cylinder, and be able to work with any switch or cylinder regarding internal friction. Make run a single engine is a bit more complicated than a two cylinders engine, because the second cylinder can help the first when he needs, for instance on the dead point of the switch. To overcome this problem, the solution is easy : add a inertia wheel. As on my previous engine, I have chosen the big rack wheel with 1/5 ratio to create a big inertia wheel and help the engine to run smoothly.

lego-pneumatic-vertical-engine-8

The second problem regarding using any switch or cylinder is caused by the internal friction. It can be overcome by a large inertia wheel but as there is only one cylinder, the inertia must be enough to pass the deadpoint without bump but not too big if the cylinder has lot of friction. Therefore, the inertia wheel can’t be the only solution. The deadpoint of the switch must be reduce. As I do not want to modify the internal design of the switch to easy source the parts, I use a special mechanism to reduce the moment when the switch is on the deadpoint. It is based on a big crankshaft to have important displacement of the connecting rod, and a sliding connecting rod with two end stops. In this way the moment when the airflow is locked is limited to a small time, enabling a smooth running, even on low rpm.

List of parts : https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-57096/Nico71/vertical-lego-pneumatic-engine/#details

Fell free to comment or ask questions :)

Edited by nico71

Attention ! Big post for big creation !

Berliet T100

A remote controlled 1/20 reproduction of the French Berliet T100, the largest truck of the world at its time. Features 6×6 drive with pneumatic locking differential, steering, suspensions, front fake V12 engine, rear auxiliary engine connected to the compressor, and a winch, with building instructions.

Lego-Berliet-T100-3

History

The T100 was the biggest truck at its time, with 5m high, 5m wide, 15m long and a weight of 50 tonnes. It was designed by French manufacturer Berliet in 1950s to transport heavy equipments for oil exploration projects, such in Sahara. The idea was to carry heavy indivisible mass avoiding to use many trucks to transport equipment, like motor, drilling and then to reassemble it, contributing to a better operation cost. Therefore, the truck was designed to handle 100t of material, with conception choice accordingly.

autowp.ru_berliet_t100-600_7-750x410-1.j

Two Berliet T100 600ch model, photos courtesy of Fondation Berliet

The first is the tire. With the help of Michelin, they designed unique tires which can handle the weight but with only 1kh/cm² of pressure, same as dromedary’s foot to not be stuck in the dunes. The T100 is powered by a 24l V12 diesel engine from Cummins, firstly in 600ch and then in 700ch. The drivetrain is 6×6 with optional front axle drive (6×4), but the side wheel can be powered when the other are free to move thanks to many locking devices. Each axle have a locking differential and there is also one between front and rear axle. The suspension are rather classic with rear bogies with leaf spring and torsion bar and front suspended axle with leaf spring and lever arm shock absorbers. The T100 was pretty high-end truck with cab air cooling and 6 aeronautic multi disk brakes, when the competitor, Kenworth have no brake on front axle. To finish, a small auxiliary 2 cylinders Panhard engine placed on the rear supplies oil pressure and electricity when the big V12 is not turning on.

The T100 was operaded in Algeria at Hassi-Messaoud and returns to France in 1981. Its ability to drive in sand dunes enabled it to participate in 1961-62, in the extinction of the gigantic fire at the oil well in the Gassi-Toui. I decided to reproduce the 700ch model, in order to present this engineer truck, when the France was one of the best competitor in oil field truck.

You can read more about the T100 history herehere and here (french). I thank The Berliet’s Fondation, especially Paul Piemontese who was the head of operation of the T100 in Algeria, who gives me lot of technical details about the T100 and its history.

Presentation

My Lego Technic version is in 1/20 scale, with 63cm lenght, 22cm width, 23cm height, and 3kg weight. It seems to be massive, but there is no many room inside to fit all the function, as the wheel is very big compared to the size, and the cab is small. On the beginning of the project, I wanted to reproduce the unique drivetrain of this truck, with the gearbox, optional front wheel drive and its abilities to power side wheel only. Unfortunately, I have not figure out to transmit the power to the wheel using Lego parts. Indeed, the torque and weight were so high, that the gearing and the universal join do not handle it. Then I decided to create onboard motor axle to prevent the parts to be damaged. Retrospectively, it was the good decision as I would not be able to fit all the function inside.

Lego-Berliet-T100-4

Functions

The model is equipped with 3 L motor placed on each axle, it drive the wheel with 16t spur gear, 12/20t reduction, and 8/24t inside the portal hub. The central rear axle is connected to the fake V12 engine placed on the front, with CV join and gearing. This fake engine is composed of moving axle, and not big cylinders. This type of building enable a strong torque with no cracking sound, with a good speed. The only limitation will be the weight and the motor torque limitation.

Lego-Berliet-T100-9

The front steering is operated by a M motor placed on the front axle, which drives a worm gear though a 24/24 clutch, which operated a rack and pinion. Unfortunately, the steering wheel is not connected to the steering due to the available room inside. I have not use portal hub from Lego to build the front portal hub as the pivot was to far from the wheel, which makes the wheel touching the wheel arch. Therefore, I have used a homemade building with CV joint which limits the steering angle but  fits the wheel arch. You can note also that  small rubber wheel is placed on the pivot of the portal hub. It is to avoid the wheel to camber with the weight. It enables the wheel to have a support where they can roll on and increase the rigidity of the front axle.

Lego-Berliet-T100-11

Each axle have a locking differential which connect both wheels of an axle with a driving ring. All the differential locking are operated in the same time, using a motor M which drive a compressor, and a switch valve. A clutch on this valve prevent to force on the structure when the compressor is powered. Then, the compressor rotation is transmit to the rear auxiliary fake engine which U-join in order to power it when the locking differential are operated. I have chosen to have only one operated valve for all the differential locking in order to use only one port on the sbrick, and then use only one sbrick.

Lego-Berliet-T100-14

The last motorized function, is the winch placed behind the cabin. It is operated by a M motor with 8/24 and 12/36 gearing, ensuring enough force to pull object on the rear ramp.

You can see 3D ghost view of all the mechanic below :

berliett100-drivetrain-1.jpg

The rear suspensions are based on a bogie design. Each axle is connected with a big oscillating arm (which is a leaf spring in real). Multiple connecting rods hold each axle to avoid lateral and longitudinal translations. Each rear axle is equipped with torsion bar made with connecting rod and long axle. It gives a very sturdy rear axle which move in function of the surface and handle the weight of the rear platform.

Lego-Berliet-T100-12

The front axle is different from the real one due to part limitation. Instead of a leaf spring, I use classic shock absorbers. The front axle is connected to the chassis with a rubber parts, and hold in position with a arm and many connecting rod. There is no torsion bar on the front axle due to the available room (mainly because of the fake engine).

Design

On this particular truck, the design is as important as the function, that is I have started by making raw axles for dimensions, then the design with the bodywork, and then rework the axle and the chassis to mix together. I have tried to respect all the proportions, which leads to some limitation like the steering angle to not reach the wheel arches and the rear suspension travel to have the platform in the correct height. I have also reproduced the particular shape of the hood with angled side and top assembly with exhaust but also the iconic front assembly with its body panels. I also reworked many time the bodywork to have the less visible hole. It includes the side of the wheel arches with connector and joiner instead of letting the hole of the beam visible. But also a choice of orientation for some element, the use of panels, like on the cabin, and some tiles to hide the holes, especially on the rear platform. At the end, it gives a very neat design.

Lego-Berliet-T100-16

Regarding the openable element, the side cover can be removed, and the doors can be open. I also focused myself to fit all the functions in it in a relevant cable path, including the hose. That is why I do not want to have more than 4 functions to have only one Sbrick, but also to have neat cable path. Therefore, the operated valve and the hose are located on the left side. The compressor is located on the right side which gives space inside the fake reservoir to fit the cable from the front. The cable from rear are located under the platform, and all cables go in one hole above the Sbrick.

Abilities

The model is operated with a Sbrick. The battery box switch is accessible from the left after opening a small box. The Sbrick enables to power the 3L motor of the drivetrain with a very good speed and a average torque. Indeed, I have not design this truck for trial truck, as I wanted to have a playable set with some nice functions, therefore a good speed. As I have not be able to put gearbox which handle the weight and torque inside, I prefer to increase the speed and decrease the torque. As the drivetrain is very sturdy, the only limitation will be the motor torque in trial truck condition. It is not possible to rework the axle with more gearing without removing the locking differential. Or the new portal hub from Lego must be used, which unfortunately I do not have( maybe for a future creation !). Anyway, I do not think heavy truck is good for trial truck in Lego, there are slow and heavy, it is preferable to use light truck with strong motor and simple drivetrain to have better speed and good torque.

Lego-Berliet-T100-7

Pictures and Video

Building Instructions

BerlietT00Preview1

The building instructions are available on my website. The instructions is composed of a step by step 553 pages PDF / 500 mo in 300DPI, in a professional looking as Lego official one with hose and cable paths. You can see the bill of material on rebrickable.

I hope you appreciate this creation ! Fell free to comment, ask questions, criticize, etc.

Oh my god... I just saw a video of this thing and thought "Strange nobody built this so far".

This has to be one of the best technic models I've seen in a long time. It is visually perfect and the technic is more than impressive: Speed and climbing ability is superb. Watch out as I've already see that this will be rebuilt by a third party...

15 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Oh my god... I just saw a video of this thing and thought "Strange nobody built this so far".

This has to be one of the best technic models I've seen in a long time. It is visually perfect and the technic is more than impressive: Speed and climbing ability is superb. Watch out as I've already see that this will be rebuilt by a third party...

Thanks ! I am jappy that you like how I did the model. The T100 was a engineer truck, when the industrial activity from France was very interesting, with lot of breakthrough and crazy project. The truck has its limitation because of the weight and the power of the electrical motor. But as the drivetrain is made with onboard motor and no u-join, it can hanle a lot of torque until the motors stall. so it climb slowly but it climb !

4 minutes ago, wissamms said:

Great creation, thank you for the detailed and interesting presentation!

Thanks for your comment ! I always fear that the post is too long, but it is a way to explain all the story behind the creation with the design process.

Wow, amazing job! Great design and functions, I really like the rear suspension and the drive train with the diff locking! Just curious, do those torsion bar axles have visible twist in them after running this model for a while? Or do they get twisted symmetrically in both directions and that cancels out?

2 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Wow, amazing job! Great design and functions, I really like the rear suspension and the drive train with the diff locking! Just curious, do those torsion bar axles have visible twist in them after running this model for a while? Or do they get twisted symmetrically in both directions and that cancels out?

Thanks ! Regarding the torsion bar, no failure at all. Indeed, the displacement of the axle is rather symmetrical and even if it is not, the frame bend also a little which compensate a too much torsion. To finish, if you twist the axle only in elasticity domain, there is no problem to use like that. A fatigue stress can occur but it will need thousands and thousands of torsion.

I know It and in fact I have pics of It and many others more because they are awesome machines, awesome work as usual. It has been many years since my last purchase of instructions and this seems to be a perfect occasion. I wrote this after see the long video, unfortunatelly it has too much pieces for my taste but I still loving It.

if you weren't too affraid of my french accent 😀, here is the design secrets of my Berliet T100, with history and design process

Edited by nico71

11 hours ago, nico71 said:

if you weren't too affraid of my french accent 😀, here is the design secrets of my Berliet T100, with history and design process

Great video! It's cool to get an inside look at your design process :wink:

Thanks ! I will create now a design secrets for every new creation, it helps me to explain the design choice :)

Hello everyone, after hard work on this new model, here is the presentation :

42115 Model B – Ford F150

An alternate model of the Lego Technic Set 42115 Lamborghini Sian, as a lowered modified version of a Ford F150. Features 4×4 drivetrain with 8-speed sequential gearbox, fake V8 engine, HOG steering with working steering wheel, adjustable suspensions height, opening doors, hood and tailgate, with building instructions.

Lego-42115-Model-B-Ford-F150-2

Context

I had the 42115 Lamborghini Sian for a while now, I wanted to make an alternate model when I saw the potential of the set. But I was struggled on other projects, then when I wanted to start, they were many other alternate models available for this set, mainly made by James Tilson. So, I have to find an interesting idea. I come up first with a SUV idea : a Lamborghini Urus, but the shape was to difficult to make with only the part of the 42115 set (especially the rear mudguard with opening doors). Then I started to work on a Aston Martin DBS which fits the available parts for the lights, but the green parts was too restrictive to have the correct shape for the side.

Lego-42115-Model-B-Ford-F150-3

I continue to search and find this pickup truck, a lowered and modified version of a 2019 ford F150 made by Vossen Wheel which fits very well the look of the Sian wheels and enabled me to make something different than a supercar with a hidden key feature.  This is my first 1/8 supercar, but, well, it is not a supercar, but more a “super”-pickup. 

Ford-F150-low-and-tow-1.jpg?i=283942419

Ford-F150-low-and-tow-2.jpg

Functions

The model is equipped with D+N+R 8 speeds sequential gearbox with endstops (1th and 8th gears) from modified version of Didumos69 and Jb70 projects on “pimp my sian“. It enables to have a low profile gearbox to place the rear seat above compared to the Sian’s one. The modifications are reducing the gearing friction by changing axle length and bracing, and the placement of the knob / lever connection between the two gearbox which is inside the gearbox and not outside. The steeper mechanism is a modified version from “Lego Technic Mastery” micro steeper, which enables to fit it between the two seats, instead behind the steering wheel, which I find more easier to reach. The red lever is the Drive – Neutral – Reverse and the yellow is the speed selector.

Lego-42115-Model-B-Ford-F150-17

The steering is operated by a classic rack and pinion, which is operated by a Hand of God but also has a return on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, as the front is heavy and the tires generate lot of friction, it is hard to make turning the wheels with the steering wheel. Therefore, is has to be operated by the Hand Of God preferably in movements. I find anyway that the steering wheel is hard to reach to play in supercar, like in the Sian that is why I prefer the HOG. 

Lego-42115-Model-B-Ford-F150-14

Regarding the suspensions, the front suspensions are double wishbones and the rear is a live axle. The key feature of this model is the adjustable riding height of the suspensions. As the original inspiration model is low as possible for styling, I wanted to create this features to use the travel of the suspensions (it is still a pickup, isn’t it ?). Therefore the upper fixation on the shock absorbers are mounted on a rotating lever with two cusp positions. Each position has different endstops which create the two different height. Position which can be adjusted by removing the 1/2pin or adding a 1×1 round plate or other parts to control the riding height.

Lego-42115-Model-B-Ford-F150-8

The highest position can be used also for putting other wheels if you have in stock, like “muddy” shape tire. You can see 3D ghost view of all the mechanism below :

42115modelbfordf150render1.jpg

42115modelbfordf150render2.jpg

To finish with the openable elements : the hood can be opened, revealing the fake V8 engine, but also the four doors and the tailgate. You can note that the tailgate is attached to the frame with two small levers, it is to enable the opening without colliding the bumper because of the round shape of the rear panel. That is why the tailgate can be locked by the two grey side levers.

Lego-42115-Model-B-Ford-F150-11

Design Process

The design was of course an important point of this creation. Combined with the part restriction of the 42115 set, that is why I started the project by the bodywork. I created first a raw chassis for proportions, then created the side and the front as they use the majority of flat panels and green parts. But also because the particular shape of the front was indeed the most important to have the truck recognizable. Then I was able to see which green parts were left, and design the other element accordingly like the rear trunk. After that, I created the front and rear axle with adjustable height suspensions and start working on the gearbox. At the first time, I wanted to use the 42115 gearbox, but it was too big in height and there were not endstop to avoid gear changing from 1th to 8th or 8th to 1th. That is why I have used the gearbox of the project “pimp my Sian” which I modified to put the knob / lever in it and reduce the friction. Then, I create a chassis to connect all the element and starts reworking the bodywork attachment. When finished, I worked on the interior / dashboard and the final details to have a neat look.

Lego-42115-Model-B-Ford-F150-6

Of course this creation as some default mainly due to the part limitations and its size. First is the steering, as written before, it is preferably to operate the steering though the HOG instead though the steering wheel because it is harder. If I would have more gearing, I would be able to gearing down the steering wheel to have a more functional steering wheel. Second drawback is that the levers which hold the suspensions are not locked in place (only locked by the weight), which means if you lift the model, the wheels fall in their lower position. It doesn’t affect the suspension height but it would have been better to have a automatic locking device which I was not able to make because of part limitation. The last default is about the side design, as I ran out green panels and beams, I have to choose between green sides or green hood. I preferred the green hood so I put the leftover black panels on the lowest part on the side. It gives a nice black trim design which is in the continuity of the black bumper, but I think it would have been better with green instead.

Lego-42115-Model-B-Ford-F150-9

Creating an alternate model is always a compromise between part restrictions, neat design and uncommon features. The idea is not to propose the same thing as the original set with some modifications but something different which enhances the possibilities of the set, without removing the value proposition for the original set. And for this one, despite some defaults, I think it is rather successful, with a clean and powerful look, and interesting features !

Video

You can find the building instructions, for sale on my website, and check the bill of material on rebrickable (of course, if you have the 42115 set, you have all the needed parts).

I hope you like ! Do not hesitate to comment, ask questions :)

Specs : 52cm (L) x 21cm (W) (23cm with mirror) x 18cm (H) 2.15kg

Nico, this Ford look s absolutely incredible and if to be honest the wheels squared it's coolness!! Very welldone!

Really nice choice of model and implementation, I am also planning to use a different version of Ford F150/250 in another project. I like the suspension, especially the rear, really tight one. One thing I don't understand though: are there more links to hold the rear axle in place? I can only see two lower ones, there should one or two more somewhere, right?

@nico71
Very nice model of that Ford, I'm actually considering getting a second 42115 just to make this :-)
You mention “muddy” shape tires. Could you possible post one or two pictures of the model with such tires?

Looks awesome, bought the instructions. I’m almost done with pimped up Sian, will for sure build this one!

The fact that this is a B-model is just mindblown. Great work!

I didn't catch it in the text, how many parts are leftover from the A-Model?

18 minutes ago, Jundis said:

The fact that this is a B-model is just mindblown. Great work!

I didn't catch it in the text, how many parts are leftover from the A-Model?

According to bricklink, it uses 2742 out of 3696 parts.