Hats off to you, Nico :-)

I deal with braiding machines in my job and this really is impressive. Especially as your solution for the discontinuous process done with the tracks and pins like a a punch card in older jacquard machines. Sometimes in the future I will try my best to do a MOC of a braiding machine myself.

Can you do a Wardwell Braider next? ;-)

52 minutes ago, aeh5040 said:

Wow, this is absolutely amazing, congratulations!  I LOVE this kind of machine.  Not really that interested in "wheely" creations :laugh:

I am not sure I understand how you keep the blue "oscillating fork" in sync over the long term.  Even if each movement gets reversed, if it is controlled just by timing via the orange clutch parts, won't the errors build up over time?  Are the errors just small enough that in practice you can run it for hours without needing to recalibrate?  Or do you have some way of keeping it in sync that I am not seeing?

Thanks ! As you have understood, the movement between the tracks and the fork are synchronised which enables me to program simple movement run / standby / go back in simple way and with keeping the timing. But as Lego is not perfect, there is play, play that make the fork rotate a bit more or less each movement, especially because the movements are globally made in one direction. that is why I cancel this play by goes back each time I go in a direction. At final, the error is not important, even for long time, as the random play is counterbalancing by many movement and many correction, it is softened which the amount of movement in each direction. Of course it can not run for hours at 100% of reliability, because this is Lego and reels and gravity (with the risk of jamming) but for the testing I have done, it works fine ! You can in any way recalibrate it by stopping the machine (or making between to movement if you are fast enough) and re-align the blue lever.

22 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Hats off to you, Nico :-)

I deal with braiding machines in my job and this really is impressive. Especially as your solution for the discontinuous process done with the tracks and pins like a a punch card in older jacquard machines. Sometimes in the future I will try my best to do a MOC of a braiding machine myself.

Can you do a Wardwell Braider next? ;-)

Thank you ! Yes the pin and tracks is inspired of the punch card in old loom, same mechanical principle, as the difference here the tracks and pin operate gearbox, and that on jacquard loom it operates directly the actuators by blocking or not. The wardwell braider looks like a bit more complicated, especially in the construction ! Good luck for your machine :)

Edited by nico71

Great work! I can hardly imagine the work that must have gone into this marvelous machine.

The programming mechanism reminds me of this "punch card" programmable crane from the 8888 ideas book, published in 1980:

Truly amazing. This could be first instructions I could buy for some MOC. But need to wait for some vacations. 

9 hours ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Great work! I can hardly imagine the work that must have gone into this marvelous machine.

The programming mechanism reminds me of this "punch card" programmable crane from the 8888 ideas book, published in 1980:

Yes it inspires me for the first mechanical machine I have done https://www.nico71.fr/mechanical-calculator/ (such an old creation !)

rack-545x382.jpg

I have ever though at the begining of the kumihimo project to put the rack on the tracks and powere direclty the functions with the movement of the rack on pinion (avoid gearbox). I think it will be ever more precise but creating this rack-tracks was not very easy and strong.

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

Truly amazing. This could be first instructions I could buy for some MOC. But need to wait for some vacations. 

Wow, thank you !

Hello everybody, this is my new creations ! Here is the complete story :

42082 E Model – Offroad Truck With Manipulator Crane

An alternate model of the #42082 Lego Technic set, featured 4×4 drivetrain with fake engine, steering, lockable leaf suspensions, motorised outriggers, manipulator crane and two ways tipper, with openable elements and building instructions.

lego-42082-model-E-offroad-truck-2

Context

After working two times on the #42082 Lego set (see my C model and D model), I wanted to make a break for other creations, and I did with other instructions including machines. But after some months, I discover a very nice model-C-ish of the 42082 (because of use of parts not in the set) and I found the idea very cool to make a truck. I wanted initially to make an Unimog too but the result will be too close from the “the lego technic channel” one so I changed my plan and searched for an other truck. My ideas was to look for an off-road truck which can be equipped with tools such a manipulator crane or/and a tipper. I found the Gaz Sadko which were per-fect for it with the engine nose and small cabin which looks like powerful, massive and big in scale enough to fit the functions in it.

lego-42082-model-E-offroad-truck-4

Functions

My first C model of the 42082 has two motorised functions, my second D model has four, so this one will have more : five, with also many manual functions. Let’s started with manual functions. The first is the steering on the front axle, which is operated by the beacon on the cabin which also makes rotate the steering wheel with gearing. The model is equipped with 4×4 drive-train which drives a V8 fake engine placed under the hood, hood which can be opened, as the doors too. 

lego-42082-model-E-offroad-truck-5

Next function is the lockable leaf spring suspensions : indeed the 42082 set is not equipped with any spring or suspension elements, so I have created with Technic axles which are bent in elastic deformation during suspension travel. To prevent the wear during a long displayed time, I equipped the suspensions with a lockable pinbush in order to lock them on the chassis. Of course the travel is small and the chassis is bent too but it gives a small offroad touch to the assembly.

lego-42082-model-E-offroad-truck-15

Next group of functions is the motorised one. All motorised functions are powered by only one motor put inside the chassis in the middle of rear assembly and distribute the power to 3 gearboxes to motorise each functions. The first group is located at the right and operates the manipulator crane with two linear actuators and a turntable. The second group of gearbox is located on the left and operates the outriggers and the tipper, both with mini linear actuator. The manipulator crane is an inspired and modified smaller version of the 8258 set, with manual extendable boom with fixed hook.

lego-42082-model-E-offroad-truck-9

The tipper is an interesting part, it was the first time I designed a two-sides tipper with articulated dropside. I used for that a simply system with a centered actuator which raises the tipper with rollers, and movable locks for the pivot points of the tipper. Therefore, either the tipper is dumped at the rear by unlock the side lock and lock the rear one, and dump at the side by locking the side lock and unclock the rear one.

lego-42082-model-E-offroad-truck-10.jpg

The model is not equipped with a front or boom winch because I ran out of room and gearing to make a proper irreversible gearing. It was also impossible to pass the string inside the turntable because of the gearing for a boom winch. Last things about manual functionality : two pads for the outriggers are located in the right side in a lockable box, and an other compartment can be open at the left to reveal two toolboxes. You can see the internal mechanism exposed here :

42082ModelE-mecaonly1

42082ModelE-mecaonly2

42082ModelE-mecaonly3

Design

Regarding the design, I am very happy with the result. I think this is as important than the functions, and as the red inventory was limited on this set, I have started to build the manipulator crane and the cabin to validate the design and what were possible to do, then I made the chassis and the functions. I am pretty satisfied with the overall shape of the truck and the homogeneity and powerness of its look. I have tried to make it as powerful as it was possible with iconic elements such the front grill, bumper, mudguard, side ladder and other details (engine, beacon, lights, detailed interior etc.). But I wanted also to keep the roundness of old Russian truck like the Gaz to look less bulky, that is why I have used curved panel on the cabin and the nose, and bionicle tooth to round the different corner (hood and mudguard), and as usual, it is better in Lego to caricaturise a bit more to have a proper look of the model.

lego-42082-model-E-offroad-truck-3

Pictures and Video

Building Instructions

42082ModelE1

Of course as it is an alternate model, I had to make the building instructions, and what an instructions ! 687 pages for 2697 parts, the record of the Kumihimo is beaten ! Therefore this is the biggest instructions I have ever done. As usual, the instructions are step by step high resolution computer generated instructions with partlist in the same way as official Lego one.

Regarding the bill of material, as an alternate model, if you own the #42082 Lego set, you have all the needed parts. But you can checked the exact bill of material on Rebrickable and export in whatever format you want :

rebrickable_logo.png Want to know if you can build the 42082 Model E – Offroad Truck ? The model has been indexed to rebrickable, check it !

You can buy the instructions for 15€. You can also buy in a bundle pack including building instructions for my 42082 C model and/or D model and get a discount (15% off for 2 PDF, and 20% off for 3 PDF).

Buying the instruction https://www.nico71.fr/42082-e-model-offroad-truck-with-manipulator-crane/

---------------------------------------------------------

It has been a long project for me and a big instructions, and people were here because it reached the most popular moc on rebrickable, therefore fell free to comment or ask questions :) 

Great alternative model of the 42082 again! I just bought the forklift and offroad truck instructions, already owned the loader ones. Time to build one of them.

A big thanks Nico! Was just planning to build your forklift. Have added this to my to-build list.

That is an impressive model! You have done it once again, created a briliant C-model.

What's equally impressive is the size of the images hehe. Can you please link to max 1024 wide? Thanks.

Thanks Jim !

Yes I will take into consideration uplaoding 1024px wide for EB.

Just now, nico71 said:

Yes I will take into consideration uplaoding 1024px wide for EB.

:thumbup:

Hi Nico71,

Thank you for another 42082 alternative. I bought the instructions and started building. Almost finished the chassis by now.

The build feels like an original LEGO build, I really enjoy building this model so far.

Cheers,

Robert

Thanks ! Especially the part of the original lego build, I have tried to make the functions and the design as best as possible with sturdy design but also a quality instructions.

Finished the magnificent E-model of the 42082 Rough Terrain Crane.

It's marvel of engenering. Hats off to @nico71 !

49863625738_045ea9c89c_z.jpg

Had 4 days of fun. Thank you!

Had to make some colorchanges for the tipperbed due to the fact that i've reused the LBG panels for another rebuild; but it looks great!

I already had seen it but I did not know it was a C model... awesome as usual. While Lego keep making overcharged of pieces sets people whom buy will have impresive C models, of course they still will need brillant builders like you.

Thanks for the comment, I am glad that you appreciate my work ! 

Another Great Alternative Model ???

i hope you never get tired in 42082 

coz im waiting for some more Construction / mining alternative(42082) Vehicles of yours  ? 

nice review on 42100 

looking forward for some alternative model on that set 

more to come 

Edited by Dylan M

For now, I will take a break after 3 models on the 42082, but I am plan to do other C model for other set, which will be in construction field :)

Absolutely love the E model, I'm building it now so it can join my family of Unimogs.

Steam Bicycle

A new creation A steam bicycle, powered by a Switchless Lego Pneumatic Engine. Features steering, transmission with a two speeds gearbox, rear brake and working throttle, with building instructions.

lego-steam-bicycle-1

Context

As written before in the article of my Switchless Lego Pneumatic Engine, I wanted to create a pneumatic engine which can run without switch to avoid the hard deadpoint and enables people to build a functional engine without modifying parts. I have created a functional prototype and then I wanted to improve it to install in a creation, here is the result.

lego-steam-bicycle-3

Functions

The main difference between classic engines and this one is that I used pinched hose instead of switch. Rather than pinching the hose in the diameter (which require lot of force), I create a loop with the hose, which is tightened more or less with a pusher. The pusher is then connected the the crankshaft to create the distribution on the two chambers of the cylinder. The main advantage is it requires less force to operate the switching of the chambers but need continue air flow. You can watch in detail the principle of functioning of this engine here.

lego-steam-bicycle-5

This single cylinder engine is based on the same principle, but rather than having sliding head-to-head pusher, I use independent pushers which are controlled by roller cam. This solution have the advantage to be more compact, have a better air timing distribution and less friction thanks to the roller. The gearing between the crankshaft and the cam is made with two 40-tooth gears, which enables a fine tuning. Then, the motion of the crankshaft is transmitted to the gearbox with a chain and is operated by the level on the right side thanks to a rotating gear shifter. An additional flywheel on the left side helps to increase inertia to make it run smoothly.

lego-steam-bicycle-16

The bicycle is equipped with a working throttle. To make this function, I have used the same principle as for the valve (tighten loop for pinching hose). Two rubber bands keep the pusher in down position which block the air and a rope is attached to it and to the throttle by passing to a 3mm flexible tube .When the  throttle is rotated, the rope is pulled and the pusher raised, which open the air flow which make run faster the engine. The idle can be control by setting the rest position of the pusher.

lego-steam-bicycle-12

The last function is the foot brake at the right side. This is more a “speed reducer” than a break. It uses a rope attached to the chassis though a rubber band and pass around a pulley on the rear wheel. Then the other extremity is pulled by a lever connected to the pedal. The rubber band enables a return to the rest position with a small tension (if not it goes off the pulley) without too much friction. I would like at the beginning to make a front brake too but it was too complicated as the outer diameter of the wheel is not contact due to the way the spokes are attached.

Design

The heart of this creation was the engine, but of course I tried to make a decent looking. It comes with colour choice to highlight the engine with black frame, yellow reservoir and red wheels and a “steampunk” looking with the yellow colour and hose. I have also added some details like the package holder, mudguard, horn, gauge, spring loaded saddle, stand etc. At the final, I am very happy with the design and details despite the lack on rubber tires and I think the functions are part of the design this time, with a nice looking sculpture which can run (but of course not drive).

lego-steam-bicycle-6

Performance, Pictures and Video

The performance are quite good considering the purpose of the engine : to be built with non modified parts at a standard running air pressure (3 bars). It runs fine and can achieve good speed (nothing compare to a modified LPE with thousand RPM) and accept to run low too. But, it has also drawbacks linked to the heart of how it works.

The first is the hoses used for the 4 loops which make the distribution (4x 9cm lenght) : they have to be soft enough to have an easy pinching and strong enough to handle the pressure. For instance, the last hoses in the 42100 are glossy and hard to pinch, the very old pneumatic hoses from 90’s is too soft for me and do not handle the pressure. The ideal hoses are those which come from the sets from some year like the 8436, or the 8455 (mine comes from this set), you can use also the hose from the 811042043 if they are not the glossy version. You can use other hoses but you will need to increase the pressure if the hose is too hard to pinch and reduce if it is too soft (with of course limits). As I have not tested, I can not certify it will work with every hose.

The second drawback is that the air flow and air pressure affect the required pinching force and then affect the functioning.  The air flow have to be constant to avoid the problem of running, that is why I do not recommend to use it with Lego pump and/or airtank but rather an other source of air like a compressor / pump with a air reservoir which enables to have a constant air flow. The air pressure is less sensitive but I notice it runs the best with the hose I have between 2.5 to 3.5 bars. Less than this value, the engine has not enough power to run and stop, and with more pressure, the hose do not handle the pressure. 

I have not seen any wear on the hose, even if they tend to keep the shape of the loop some time after dismantling, they recover their original shape without any leak or damage after some time. But I think it can be damage if they rest for a long time on display with no pressure. So if you display this creation, remove the upper pneumatic T connector assembly to loosen the loop.

You can see more HD picture on my website and get the building instructions. You can see the list of part here on rebrickable : https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-48400/Nico71/steam-bicycle-lpe/

Fell free to comment, ask questions :classic: