A new vlog :

about my current creations, why there will be ot lego creations from me until 6 months, and some featured channel about clock.

Me and kevin williams are currenlty working on the new instructions for the NSX enable it to be in white edition. It will not change many things regrading the parts except the flex because many people complains about the price of the 16L soft axle.

Loving the xrays! I've recently spent hours with a multi-meter tracking down a fuel injection issue on my bike.. when finally found it the rubber outer was perfect, no hint of damage, so like you, i assume fatigue... xray machine would have saved me hours!!!

Hello everyone, today I present you my new model. As I wrote the full story on blog, I copy paste here and we can discuss about it :)

The biggest vehicle I have ever done, an articulated 8×8 offroad truck. Featured 2x sbricks, drives, steering, spring leaf dual suspensions, outriggers, operating 4 axis crane, opening elements and many details.

IMG_9886

As I said in my previous vlog, I am involved in a big lego project, which take me lot of time. Therefore, I though I would not be abble to build something during month, or just finish a creation. But I was wrong, I have finished this moc !

This model is a lego technic 8×8 offroad vehicle, inspired by low ground pressure articulated truck like Foremost or Rolligon, equipped with a crane, outriggers and non symmetrical cab. The idea was to used the big lego tyre from Xerion, combined with a small scale, would give a truck with giant wheel to give the impression of strength and power. Of course this is just an impression because with the weight and the many functions in it, the goal was not to make trial truck competition. I wanted to focus on playability with the operating crane and outriggers and articulated steering plus the adding of sbrick to control with my smartphone which is handier that the IR (and now the sbrick works for me, so I use it).

IMG_9897

The drive are operated by two XL motors, one on each axle which drives 4 wheels. The axles are equipped with differentials but not central differential because it doesn’t need it as the steering is in central articulation. As the wheel slipped when the steering is operated, it was important to have differentials on each axle. The global gearing is 12/36t then 24t/differential and 8/24 in portal hub. Therefore the truck is quick fast for its size but have not many torque on the wheel. The front wheels are connected to the L6 fake engine thanks to a chain. the engine is placed on the side of the cab, underneath a articulated hood. That was a configuration that I have seen on some Russian trucks when either the engine is big, or the items transported are long (they are placed consequently on the side of the cab) and wanted to reproduce it.

IMG_9919

The steering is a articulated steering which is operated by two linear actuators driven by a L motor. The force of the linear actuators are needed to move by pushing and pulling each side of the articulation. The attachment of each linear actuators are made on a line which cross the pivot point, enable to have the same displacement of each actuators to some point. After 3/4 of travel, the angle between the line and the actuator tends to slow a actuator and speed up an other, but the linear actuator are equipped with internal rotating clutch which compensate this movement, and generate some clicking that you can hear on the video.

IMG_9907

The suspensions was the main innovation of this creation for me. Because it is composed of leaf spring double suspensions. Each wheels of each side are connected, two by two. This is made by linking the axle from same side using lego axle on oscillating point. As this axle can be bend over the weight or terrain, it gives the suspensions effect as a real leaf spring. The axle are simple connected to the frame with a ball-join, and two connecting rods connect the axle to the oscillating point of the leaf spring on the frame. There are just 4 small spring from lego shock absorbers mounted to rear and front wheel to support the weight of the rear and the front. But as the spring can slide on the axle, it is only used when the suspension axle is in the end of movement enabling to support the weight without altered the functioning of suspensions.

IMG_9954

The outriggers are a function that I love. I wanted to reproduce outriggers on this truck, especially because as it is an offroad truck, it needs outriggers to stabilize the crane. Of course here in lego the outriggers do not lift the truck, but the functions are really cool and useful. At the beginning I wanted to use the linear rack and worm from new 2018 sets (like the Mack 42078) in order to have a lifting force and compact solution. But this solution was way too big, and therefore the stabilizers was to big to fit front and back of the rear axle. That is why I have chosen a more classic stabilizers form with parallelogram linkages. The four outriggers are operated by a M motor located in the rear, with independent clutch on each outriggers in order to adapt on ground.

IMG_9927

The crane was based on the #8258 one with small modifications. It is composed of 3 sections operated by two linear actuators and by hand. There is one motor by linear actuators, one L motor for raising the first section and a M motor for the second section. the last section, as the winch, is operated by hand. The modifications was only for increasing the speed for easy playability, and some reinforcement about the frame and design. The last motor on this crane is a M motor which operates the turntable which is quite slow but better for fine positioning. Of course the pull force is not very important, especially when the last section of the arm is out, but the main goal was to have accurate control and speed for playability.

IMG_9947

The last subject was the design and details. I wanted to reproduce the force and strongness of a big and powerfull truck, that is why I chose a small scale compare to the wheel, with details such as mudguard, front bumper with placement signal rod suggesting the off-road capabilities of a real machine. The round shape of the front and cab and rear hood is from old truck inspiration like 60’s or 70’s. The model is equipped with two pair of light, for front and rear light which is turn on with the sbricks. The battery box is located underneath the big hood at the front back to the cab. This hood has also some detail like exhausts and filtering unit. The two doors can be opened, to reveal a detailed interior with seat for driver, bench seats for other passengers, and dashboard with steering wheel which is not linked to the steering due to the scale. There are two fuel tank on each side, which also paneling the mechanism of outriggers. And at the back, there are some detail with the rear bumper and a crane remote attached. But I have to say, that, to contain the weight and have a low profile on the back, I couldn’t make the whole paneling of the rear, which display the mechanism. which is not bad for technic (I like seeing mechanism) but less homogeneous with the full panelling on the front part of the truck.

IMG_9997

To conclude with the climbing abilities : there are not. In fact even with the two XL motors and the suspensions, the model is too heavy and not designed for making trial truck. It works fine on flat surface but on rough surface the speed is too important and if I reduce the speed, the U-join located in the ball articulation of the axle are broken even with the portal hub (which reduce the necessary torque on U-join by increasing torque after the U-join on the wheel). It is also obvious that the articulated steering is not the best option for steering abilities in trial truck (because it generates bad mass distribution at full steering). The goal here was the playbility, that is why I have made choices in consequence. At the end, the model is very playable, with many functions and operating crane, nice design, and some details to play with it. It was not the most difficult creation I have ever done, even if the cab, chassis and the design made me some headache but definitively one of the biggest I have created, and one of the most playable and fun to construct.

Building instructions (for free as photo sequence) and more pictures here : http://www.nico71.fr/articulated-8x8-offroad-truck/

Wow, that is massive! I love the rugged looks of it.:thumbup:

Do you have more information on the suspension?
Do the outriggers have a knee-mechanism, that formlocks them when they are down? Or do the gears still bear the weight when they are extended?

Looks completed! So massive and brutal, very well done, Nico! 

10 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Wow, that is massive! I love the rugged looks of it.:thumbup:

Do you have more information on the suspension?
Do the outriggers have a knee-mechanism, that formlocks them when they are down? Or do the gears still bear the weight when they are extended?

Not many other information about suspension. It only works on bending the lego axle (there are two axle and one can slide freely and other can be bend), and as it rotates under a pivot point, it enables to connect the two wheels from both sides. this is the same functionning as real :

mackmride_11192277.576ab6f72c0b9.jpg

The outtrigers has not knee mechanism to lock in position, it would have been better because there is not enough force to lift so a locking point woulb be good. But I have not manage to do this because of the space I have, and the needed height. The outtriggers has to be very compact to in order that the foot do not touch the ground when it is folded. And touch the ground unfolded even on raw surface.

A alternate model of the Lego #42082, features central articulation with steering wheel, 4×4 drivetrain with fake engine, rear pendular suspension, motorized raising and tilting fork, adjustable fork width and many opening elements.

img_0917

Context

Some time ago, I had the opportunity to get the #42082 rough terrain crane before the official release date, then I build the model A for making a quick review and wanted to build also the model B. But I was not happy to see that the model B had the same chassis than the model A but with different turret. That is why I have decided to create a new proper model C which was different than the first building of lego. Therefore I took apart my model A and start designing a model C.

IMG_0923

Note : I truly understand the lego designer choice about not making the model B many different than the model A. I do not think this is because there are lazy or  having not enough time to create a new model B. but because the model A is a big model, with almost 4000 parts, and need many time to build (around 10-15h). As the model is focused for children and teenagers, it was not very good to have to dismantle all the model A to create an other, also because the majority of people who buy big lego set, build the A model and display it for collection. That is why I think, lego designer made this model B as a option of the model A with using the main chassis. My model C is a completely different approach, building for giving to the lego fan one more model to build with a restricted inventory which is easy to get.

Functionality

The ideas behind the functionality was easy : I wanted to have the cool functions non motorized, and the boring one motorized. It means that the drives and steering are manual, and that the raising and tilting are powered. For me it is the best approach to have the maximum of playability and are the leitmotiv of my creations.

IMG_0929

The first function is the steering, which is operated by the beacon on the top on the roof and drives the external gearing of the turntable which is fixed on the main articulation. Then the movement of rotation is transferred to the steering wheel by using gear. Like that, the steering is very smooth and realistic with the steering wheel.

IMG_0944

The second function (which is a passive function) is the drives with the detailed fake engine. The wheel loader have a 4×4 transmission with a fake V6 engine placed at the rear. It uses classically differentials on each axle but no differential on the center because the pivot point is placed at equal distance of each axle.

IMG_0942

The next function is the oscillating rear axle. It has a pendular suspension with articulation made by a friction-less pin on one side, and the drive-train axle on other side. In order to prevent easy oscillating, I placed a rubber band on each side which tends to reduce the oscillating. There are also two end-stop in order that the tyre do not touch the mudguard at full oscillating.

IMG_0927

Next functions are the most important, the operating fork with raising, tilting and adjustable width. Only the two first ones are motorized. Indeed, the L motor is placed in the bottom of the loader, on the top of the fake engine. It drives a dual gearbox with a switch on each, like that the functions can be operated independently (and in the same time). The gearbox is on the same principle has the model A, with a central reverser which makes rotate the 16tooth gear with clutch in different way, ensuring the control in both direction of the functions.

IMG_0958

After the gearbox, the movement of the axle are centered to the chassis, and goes to 2 universal joins underneath the turntable. Then they arrives in the front chassis and powered the large linear actuators below which raise the fork, and the small linear actuator on the top which tilts the fork. The tilting of the fork is also equipped with a special geometry which enable to fork to stay in same orientation when it is raised, similar at the real wheel loader. Regarding the adjustable width of the fork, this is a function which for me as to be motorized for better playability, but it was too complex, that is why this is manual operated. Each fork can slide and they are connected to a rack, then a center pinion make the fork move on opposite direction.

IMG_0947 – IMG_0948

Design

The design is a important part, first of all to make the model recognizable and be nice to see for the audience, but also to make the model playable. For me, the design has a visual function, but also have to enhance the functionality or the playability of the model. For example : the mudguard can be opened with a dual link motion and reveal the fake engine and the rear railing cover can be opened. These are panel for only make the design of the rear body, so it has to be nice and well done, but it is also used as a demonstration function.

IMG_0935

I have also work a lot on the rear paneling of the battery box to make part of the design and functionality to include in this design the two functions : battery box removable, and the easy  on/off. The rear bumper weight is composed of many panel with light, and can be rotated to reveal the battery box, it is attached with a 3/4 pin which gives enough friction to lock in position but release it when you pull it out. The on/off functions is made by moving the rear attachment fixed on the bumper weight, it has a small linkage system which pushes and pulls the on/off button of the battery box, and do not lock in position when the bumper is open. you can see this linkage in the video.

IMG_0939

To finish, regarding the design, I have tried as usual to make the more interesting design with details, nice finishing and homogeneity of the colors and shape. That is why there are mudguard front and rear, access lader, front rear and side lights, angular shape of the glass of the cabin (inspired by the iconic 8459), detailed dashboard, exhaust, seat and mirror.

IMG_0949

Of course the model do not use all the part of the model A but is quite big, with many detailed and playable. Note that I have created a last section in the video which show some tips and trick I used for this model, like the exhaust, front roof, suspensions, or one/off linkage and I have tried a new photo setup (shooting with a new lens, in manual and in RAW) and enhancement software which gives a better result. I hope you like it.

Video and picture

Building Instructions

The main idea of this project was to propose to enhance the building experience for the Lego rough crane 42082 by creating a unique model C, in order that people can build it by only purchasing a 42082. Therefore there are two building instructions. One for sale at 10€ with pro looking (like the official lego one) made by Kevin Williams, and one for free based on detail photo sequence. Therefore, you can buy it to support me, or just watch it for free, as you want. Here is the complete bill of material in picture file :

But you can also checked it on rebrickable (if you do not have the 42082) :

rebrickable.png Want to know if you can build the Wheel loader 42082 Model C ? The Wheel loader 42082 Model C  has been indexed to rebrickable, check it !

Pro Instructions

instructionspreview42082C-1

I let you go to my blog or rebrickable to buy the pro building instructions, or download the free one :)

http://www.nico71.fr/42082-model-c-wheel-loader/

Edited by nico71

Thank you sp much for making instructions for this great loader! Really looks complicated and finished!

Thank you ! Yes I would like to made the deisgn like lego actual, with good finish but also good playbility and solidity :)

This is a fantastic C model. Thank you for sharing the instructions with the larger community :)

However, I do find the below reason to be justifiable as the real reason for re-using the same chassis for the B-model. And how does that explain a rather incomplete looking flagship released in 2017 - 42070?

14 hours ago, nico71 said:

Note : I truly understand the lego designer choice about not making the model B many different than the model A. I do not think this is because there are lazy or  having not enough time to create a new model B. but because the model A is a big model, with almost 4000 parts, and need many time to build (around 10-15h). As the model is focused for children and teenagers, it was not very good to have to dismantle all the model A to create an other, also because the majority of people who buy big lego set, build the A model and display it for collection. That is why I think, lego designer made this model B as a option of the model A with using the main chassis. My model C is a completely different approach, building for giving to the lego fan one more model to build with a restricted inventory which is easy to get.

Un grand merci Nico! Perfect timing as well as I was just dismantling the A Model, to build the B Model, but now I will build your model instead.

I really appreciate you and other MOCers making instructions for their C-Models and other MOCs.

I think you have achieved your goal greatly

the way it can be opened up to see whats going on is kind of a balance between modern covered up building styles and the older see whats going on on the inside. I like this a lot.

I was impressed recently when building 8459. this is obviously bigger and different but Impressive in similar design ways where little details add up greatly.

I am glad that you like !

yes, as I wanted to create a model which was playable and fun to build, I focus on the building instructions, thanks to Kevin Williams, there is a pro one for sale, and there is also a free one based on photo sequence.

I also focused myself on rigidity of the structure to be play in hard way, that is why the panel is part of the rigidity. The 8459 was an inspiration for the playbility and the shape of the cab which enables to made the cab as close as possible to the front.

Was 42030 an inspiration here? Without looking at 42030 I'd say you Wheel Loader look very close to Volvo loader. Comparing both reveals that they are similar but indeed different.

This is really terrific. I saw it the moment it was published on Rebrickable. And I like it more in red than any others in yellow. It looks bitchin’.

Hello, 

yes the 42030 was an inpiration but as you notice this is completely different by the scale, the functions, the way it is build, of course it looks like a whele loader but the two model is good and has their own reason to be.

I like too the red color of the building equipment, the inspiration comes from the brand Doosan here :)