The GBC speedometer is fantastic work. Really innovative use of the differential! (And the ball pump is pretty nice too).

When it bottoms out at "Min", what stops the paddle wheel from turning backwards? Just carefully balanced friction in the friction pin versus the clutch wheel?

To be picky, I think it does not genuinely give a reading of speed or flow (in balls per minute). Assuming a constant flow of balls, I think it will drift all the way to "Min" if the flow is less than some critical threshold, or drift all the way to "Max" if the flow is greater than the same threshold. Nevertheless, I still say it's awesome! I wonder if there is any way to genuinely get a reading of balls per minute by mechanical means?

Dagnabbit, I came to this thread looking for tachometer designs so that I could measure a GBC ball rate. Seems I've been beaten to the punch! Even if, as aeh mentions, it's only an approximation.

Nicely done.

If nothing else, I now know the following things: Even though it's only an approximation it's certainly good enough; and to do it properly you'd probably want a centrifugal tachometer, which requires much speed to be effective, which you can't really get with the start-stop motion you have with the 6-arm wheel.

Owen.

If nothing else, I now know the following things: Even though it's only an approximation it's certainly good enough; and to do it properly you'd probably want a centrifugal tachometer, which requires much speed to be effective, which you can't really get with the start-stop motion you have with the 6-arm wheel.

There might be other ways. Combining a diff with a continuously variable transmission would do it in principle...

More Trial Truck !

A lego Trial Truck based on Mongo Heist Truck from Fast and Furious, features drives, steering, adjustable bodywork and two remote speed gearbox.

IMG_2432.JPG

Context

After some modules of GBC, I wanted to return to vehicle, especially trial truck. I have planned to build for a long time ago a trial truck version of the Mongo Heist Truck from Fast and Furious movies. Here it is.

IMG_2435.JPG

Functionality

The trial truck is equipped with two XL Motor and 4×4 drives with differential. I have add a simple remote two speed gearbox, enable good speed and more torque when it is needed. It works simply with a linear actuator which pushes the group of two XL with different gearing, no use of changeover cacth and driving ring here and enables a quick switch. The gearing is : XL motor : 12/20 or 16/16, 20t/differential, and 8/24 in portal hub live axle.

IMG_2423.JPG

The steering is operated by a servo motor placed in the front axle.

The original functionality here is the adjustable remote bodywork. In deed, it can be raise for more climbing abilities, and fall down to have lower center of gravity in downhill or toward. The whole bodywork is mounted on slide and connector rod on each side, which is connected to a linear actuator on the front, powered by a M motor. Thank to this, the bodywork is raised in parallel way using a parallelogram structure.

IMG_2431.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG

The two battery box are placed each side of the frame to balanced the weigh. The frame is build on a simple U frame on the center and counter force leg to maximize the rigidity where the high travel suspension is attached. The whole model is quite heavy (around 2kg), but still powerful thanks to the two XL motor.

Design

The design is quite detailed with a equipped cabin with steering wheel, interior, seat, light and dashboard. Behind, there is two massive exhaust connected with ribbed hose on the center of the frame, no fake engine because of the room available, taken by the adjustable bodywork system. The two IR received is located in the back with a cosmetic chamber to hide them.

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

I have tried to reproduce the style of Mongo Heist Truck with some adjustement regarding the light and reinforcement iron tube on each side.

IMG_2424.JPG

Very well detailed Truck! Light body should work fine. Do you plan instruction?

It should stand together with Madoka's Tatra. Both are the flagships among Trial Trucks in such scale :thumbup:

Hello, thank you for comment. No I have not planned to make building instructions for this :)

Hi,

Amazing MOCs!

I have build your small buggy, love it. So cool looking, just a bit modded it :classic: .

Thanks for free instructions!

Beautiful model, I like the headlight design.

Why does the servo motor move when it was steering? not enough connection points?

I see in some of the pictures the battery box on the rear axle is not the big one?

Hello,

yes Piterx, you inspired me a lot with your stratos !

JJ2 : yes, the servo is fixed only on one pin and on the axle, not enough but not many place ! Regarding the battery box, I have been designed to fit with the older (big BBox) inside the two arms of rear suspension, but after I have bought a Lipo batterie, and modify it. But you can put in standard or lipo batterie in, both fit with adding 4 parts.

IMG_2542.JPG

Edited by nico71