Sign in to follow this  
oo7

Oldhamk's Ancient Chinese Treasure Junk

thindexedgif.gif 17c

Inspired by the recent discussion about whether or not the size of a ship makes it better of worse, I would like to know what we think of this huge ship.

Phredit: Images are gone and placed backups on post.

17c.jpg

17c2.jpg

17c3.jpg

Does the second ship have any more images? Since its the middle of the night and I'm just having a sleeping breaking I haven't really probed into the matter further.

Ugh, the hyperlink got messed up but it's fixed now. :-|

Does the second ship have any more images? Since its the middle of the night and I'm just having a sleeping breaking I haven't really probed into the matter further.

Ugh, the hyperlink got messed up but it's fixed now. :-|

NOT ENOUGH GUNS! LOL

but the masts on the first are in funky places.

i don't particularly like either but if i had to choose, i would go with the second one. its kinda cool

They look good, but the first ship is defenitly NOT a Chinese junk.

the first in my opinion doesn't appear to be chinese...is strange.

The second is huge, and i don't like huge ship, but here is an exception...that ship is great...i love the black colour of the sails

They're good as lego models. However, I prefer the system style of building everything, so I think they are both too big. The problem with making these huge ships and trying to use the standard masts is that they are often out of proportion. The sterncastle on the pirate ship also seems too large for the rest of the boat. The sterncastle on the first ship would look cool as a building, but it doesn't really look good as part of a ship.

There is a lot of detail in the pirate ship but it loses functionality as a toy and just becomes a model and as much as i like it the rigging just seems messy and again the proportion for masts and cannons is wrong.

I think the thing that puts me off about large ships with brick built hulls is the blockyness or step like morphology. The 'junk hybrid' has a good horizontal curve but the verticle curve is still too far recessed at each step.

It's just my personal preference to use smaller ships also. Not that extra long and\or large ships don't look as realistic or designed poorly, but just not to my liking.

I would say my favorite type of ships are carracks and at a lego hull piece scale (standard or wide)

That sometimes flavors my opinion more than anything when I review other mocs as well.

The first, is not I Chinese junk, and the second looks a bit unrealistic strange to me... did anyone mentioned this baby before? To bad there aren't more pics of it...

The bow of the Chinese Ship is surprisingly flat:

treasureship02.jpg

I prefer the Chinese Ship because it has a superior color scheme and an overall solid construction. The other ship is certainly well thought out, but the color scheme is too sporadic for my liking. The second ship also reminds me of space for some reason...

The first, is not I Chinese junk, and the second looks a bit unrealistic strange to me... did anyone mentioned this baby before? To bad there aren't more pics of it...

That's news! I don't believe anyone has posted that link before. The ship is very well sculpted. It also has the most complex rigging that I've ever seen on a LEGO ship.

The bow of the Chinese Ship is surprisingly flat:

treasureship02.jpg

I prefer the Chinese Ship because it has a superior color scheme and an overall solid construction. The other ship is certainly well thought out, but the color scheme is too sporadic for my liking. The second ship also reminds me of space for some reason...

The ship is very well sculpted. It also has the most complex rigging that I've ever seen on a LEGO ship.

What are so superior about the color scheme of this ship? I thought its colors were for the sake of it being chinesea.

I prefer the Chinese Ship because it has a superior color scheme a.

Exactly what is so superior about the colour scheme, Mr Sydedow?

What are so superior about the color scheme of this ship? I thought its colors were for the sake of it being chinesea.

Mr. Hook, you misquoted part o' me, but I'll forgive you... this time. ;-)

Exactly what is so superior about the colour scheme, Mr Sydedow?

Anyway, in this thread I already stated my likes and dislikes. From there both of you should be able to ascertain why I think this ship is superior. Basically, this ship is nicely designed, but its consistent, reasonable color scheme puts it over the other ship. And that's also why I prefer this ship's color scheme. It does what it meant to do, while the other one looks like it belongs in space. These are merely my opinions, excuse me if I made it sound like fact. I just prefer not to include IMO's and "I thinks" in my posts too often because they sound redundant. :-P