• - The Original
    • - The New One
  3. 3. Which Ventress Is Better?

• - The Original
    • - The New One

gallery_101_23_281.gif

gallery_6705_157_25242.png

6070319791_7e20587a12_o.jpg

When I saw the episode Monster, this speeder was one of the coolest ships, okay one of the only ships, in the episode. So when we got pictures of this set I was psyched to see Savage, pronounced sa-VAGE, in the set. I was even happier to see the new Anakin and Ventress. On top of all of that we got a new ship. Shall we see if the set holds up to my expectations?

Name: Sith Nightspeeder

Set Number: 7957

Pieces: 214

Price: $24.99

Ages: 7-12

Minifigs: 3

Theme: Star Wars

Year of Release: 2011

Bricklink

Peeron

Brickset

S@H

Flickr Gallery

5483511431_d5062a21a1_m.jpg

Use the Force to fight off the stealthy Sith Nightspeeder™!

Sith Assassin Asajj Ventress and Savage Opress are speeding toward Anakin Skywalker on the stealthy Sith Nightspeeder with flick-missiles. Detach their twin pods and close in on the young Jedi warrior! Will Anakin Skywalker be able to fend them off? You decide!

* Includes 3 minifigures: Anakin Skywalker' date=' Asajj Ventress and Savage Opress

* Features 4 lightsabers and weapon!

* Flick-fire the missile!

* Detach the twin pods from the Sith Nightspeeder for a multi-directional attack!

* Measures over 6” (15cm) wide, 5” (12cm) long and 2” (5cm) tall

* Pods measure over 4” (10cm) long[/quote']

Box:

6067395316_ceda62504f_o.jpg

The front of the box has the speeder on a lovely Dathomir background, with LEGO's usual amazing editing skills. Oddly enough, Savage is off the speeder fighting Anakin, instead of riding the speeder. I guess this does kind of make sense, since Anakin needs to be doing something on the box.

6066849491_477a8d8948_o.jpg

The back of the box has a secondary picture of the speeder. Here, one of the speeders is detached from the main speeder, and Ventress and Savage, are both queuing up to fight Anakin. To the left of the set we have ads for three of the new sets from the wave. I find it odd that we don't see the Republic Frigate considering this is a Clone Wars set.

6066849317_cdbd015d0b.jpg

Savage's lightsaber handle is upside-down. I guess LEGO doesn't mind too much. With a double sided lightsaber I'm not sure there is a wrong way!

Contents:

6067395144_7001fd5c68_o.jpg

Inside the box we have the manual, three baggies, and one sticker sheet. Again, we don't have the cardboard wrapping on the manual and sticker sheet.

Manual:

6066854201_400a2d632f_o.jpg

On the front of the manual, we have the same art as the front of the box. Did I mention I like the Rex art on the top bar? It's one of the coolest bars on top of the boxes/manuals, at least that's what I think.

6067400416_b8d8629089_o.jpg

And here we build the minifigures. Nothing too special, though I did notice that Savage's axe blade and spear tip are at a 90 degree angle.

6067400688_135b75c1db_o.jpg

Nothing to special for background images in the manual. This page does have one interesting feature though; Savage and Ventress aren't actually sitting down. I guess I would call it standing. My only explanation for this would be that LEGO either forgot to sit them down, or can't sit them down.

6067400572_1fa2186b97_o.jpg

Here again we have Darth Vader's mask. I do like seeing this around. It ties the Clone Wars set into the Original Trilogy ones. (That, and it looks cool too. :grin: )

6066851243_959b276f19_z.jpg

This is one of the things in these manuals that I really think is a good idea. LEGO has done some pictures showing us the minifigures completed, and the speeders detaching, certainly good for those kids who aren't quite sure how to use the set.

6066854711_794a65025f_o.jpg

I really like this page too, okay, I know it's an ad but it still stands out to me. LEGO has done a very nice composition job with this; the dark red really compliments the set boxes.

6066854859_cc63a040e5_o.jpg

Here we have a nice ad for the LEGO Star Wars III game. While it's very cool to see this in print, I think it's also a bit odd to have it here considering it has come out already.

6067401226_3b59aca6fc_o.jpg

And of course we have the stickers. Most of the stickers go on the slope pieces on the speeders and the speeder engine. The others just add the small details we can't build with LEGO.

Minifigure:

6067397364_3feda2cda0_o.jpg

Okay now we're too the minifigure section! :wub_drool: These are some of the best designed minifigures I own. LEGO has really outdone themselves. (Keep it up!) Savage, has print on his armor, print on his head the matches up, sort of, with the new "horn" piece, Ventress has a new torso print and leg print to go with the torso, and Anakin has a new torso. These are certainly some of my favorite minifigures, as well as the best designed, in a long time.

6067397464_b7f9fae519_o.jpg

LEGO has even gone and printed on the backs of all of the minifigures! Can they get any better? (The answer is yes. Keep reading to find out.) Ventress has some printing on the back of her head.

6067397590_76b5da577b_o.jpg

Okay now that I've show you the fronts, let's look at the top. I'm not sure why, but LEGO has made Ventres's and Savage's head holes solid, instead of, like Anakin's, with the "y" shape. LEGO has been doing this for some time now, but I don't think anyone has come up with an explanation.

6067397686_e20eb920c9_o.jpg6066851729_003e5ac074_o.jpg

LEGO has paid so much attention to Savage here; they've even printed tattoos on his torso. He was also given a six pack, and something that looks like shoulder blades.

6067397980_ae1db60041_o.jpg

Here's a close up of the minifigures torso/armor print. LEGO really has done an amazing job with these guys.

6067401332_d2c5cf7e6c_o.jpg

There really isn't a comparison here. The new Anakin is just so much better than the old one. That new torso is so cool. So do you think the new Anakin is better like I do? Let us know by voting in the poll!

6066852637_ff87e46dc3_o.jpg

Again, the new Ventress is just so much better. The new outfit has given her a much older, and experienced, look. Vote in the poll to tell us what you think!

6067398608_6395eba35c_o.jpg6067401396_a7c1c809bd_o.jpg

If you ask me, LEGO has done a good job with recreating the torso. Sure the torso is a bit off color wise, the real one is a bit redder, but other than that he's great! Yeah I know the head still needs some work here.

6067399238_e7777dbe39_o.jpg6067401656_c02de5151e_o.jpg

Ventress also looks good. Getting the curves on the female torso is a bit hard to do in LEGO but they've solved that by printing around the curved torso with a light color. The torso on her looks good as well.

6066853715_098cb053b0_o.jpg6067401566_b2b1184eff_o.jpg

Savage is so cool! We have another very good comparison here. The armor is spot on, so is the head, and those new "horn" piece on his head really do make this one cool minifigure. I'm not sure about the yellow minifigure hands though. They look a bit off to me.

6066853833_d5542cbe92_o.jpg

Okay, I know what you're thinking; why is there a picture of the minifigures fighting? Well, mostly because I couldn't resist, and the minifigures are just so cool they needed a battle picture. :grin:

Parts:

6066854027_32d79602a4_o.jpg

For new parts we have, two printed slopes, both used on the speeder, it's good to see that we don't have to sticker these, the 1x4 slope is pretty new to me, Ventress's saber handle has only come in the other set she came in, and the red bracket piece. The bracket is one of the most interesting pieces in the set. This will be quite useful in MOCs, if I ever take the set apart.

6067400020_7420624ab8_o.jpg

Five extra parts. The only thing I would have to note would be Ventress's lightaber handle. In the last set, it came with two extra handles, maybe LEGO decided including two confused the kids? But I can't complain, they're a cool piece!

The Build:

6069552690_eb88c96178_o.jpg

Okay now we start building the speeder. First you start with the speeder on the far left. Right away I noticed that the speeder will have a heavily sloped look.

6069552748_94e5903353_o.jpg

Then you build the middle speeder. Basically the same process, but at the end you add some cheese slopes to the front to make that "horned" look.

6069552956_21309dc574_o.jpg

Once you've got the two speeders built, you start on the main engine. First you build up a nice little base, and then you start on the engine.

6069552874_740b2d71d5_o.jpg

In the last steps, we complete the main engine, as well as completing the model! No really fancy building techniques involved!

Complete Model:

6070066080_903ab4711a_o.jpg

Now to compare the completed speeder to the real one. LEGO has done a very good job with the overall ship, there are a few things, like the windscreens, the fronts of the speeders, and the way the front of the speeder comes out around the cockpit, but these are things that you can't really do with LEGO so they've provided us with stickers to use on the small details.

6067401784_68fa554856_o.jpg

From the front you can tell that these aren't the most aerodynamic speeders. But they certainly do look cool!

6067401874_2786eccfa8_o.jpg

The side engine is so big it covers up the speeders! It really does have a jagged shape.

6066855807_2affa8b9ff_o.jpg

Here we have a back view, nothing special going on here. In fact, it's rather boring to look at.

6067402074_421eda59ca_o.jpg

And of course we have an over head view. The speeder really does have fun shape. Three prongs connected. You can also see how thin the speeders are.

6066857975_df8fb346da_o.jpg

And a size comparison to finish off the section. Rather tall, but other than that it's okay. These are LEGO!

Functions:

6067403448_04ffde2862_z.jpg

We have two flick fire missiles to the left of both speeders, nothing special there. You just push them from the back.

6066857571_f53011bed5_o.jpg6066857693_898dd0ce06.jpg

By pushing the 1x1 cone on the back of the main engine you push a rod which hits a rod which launches the flick fire in the engine. When I got the set built and noticed that it fired I thought that this was one of the coolest and best designed functions on any LEGO set I've ever gotten. This is the way to use these LEGO!

Final Thoughts:

I've built the set, and I'm very happy with my purchase. The price seems quite fitting for the set, and the design of both the minifigures and the speeder is great. LEGO really has upped the bar with these minifigures. They're so accurate, and well designed, they might be worth the $25 themselves! If LEGO can continue making sets like this one, they'll be amazing.

Ratings:

Playability: 10/10 This is a very playable set. So much "swoosh!" I could fly this around in circles for quite awhile.

Design: 8/10 LEGO really has done a good job designing this set. It's very sturdy, and looks about like the real one.

Price: 10/10 I do feel like I got my money’s worth with this set. $25 is definitely the right price to ask for the set.

Minifigures: 10/10 Like I keep repeating, the minifigures are amazing! Very well designed, and quite accurate.

Parts: 8/10 While we didn't get to many special parts, we did get some nice printed parts, and some very nice dark gray slope parts.

Total: 46/50 An outstanding score for an amazing set!

6067404324_ee375ab905_o.jpg

"Don't Ask Me Why The Engine Shoots."

Want to learn to make excellent reviews like this one? Then join the Reviewers Academy!

gallery_6705_157_25242.png

Stunning review! This is one of my favorite sets of the summer Star Wars wave. Savage Opress is just :wub: as is the new Anakin.

Third Anniversary you say? Is that today? If it's Wednesday that would be cool because then it'd be my birthday. :grin:

Stunning review! This is one of my favorite sets of the summer Star Wars wave. Savage Opress is just :wub: as is the new Anakin.

Third Anniversary you say? Is that today? If it's Wednesday that would be cool because then it'd be my birthday. :grin:

Thanks! The figures really are the highlight of the set.

Yeah today. (The 23rd) Sorry. :tongue::laugh:

Thanks! The figures really are the highlight of the set.

Yeah today. (The 23rd) Sorry. :tongue::laugh:

Today's the 22nd. :wacko::laugh:

That Savage fig is so cool, but I cannot believe LEGO gave him standard yellow hands, his print is so much lighter than his bright yelow schoolbus hands. :hmpf_bad:

Regardless, he has to be one of the coolest new figures and he will be in my collection soon enough.

Another great review by Masked Builder.

6066854859_cc63a040e5_o.jpg

Interesting seeing the inclusion of the two trans-orange and light bley cheese-slopes on the walker's controls- they are not actually included in the model's instructions. They are just the two spare pieces that look good as control-lights. Strange how TLG 'edits' the models for cartoons... :laugh:

That Savage fig is so cool, but I cannot believe LEGO gave him standard yellow hands, his print is so much lighter than his bright yelow schoolbus hands. :hmpf_bad:

Regardless, he has to be one of the coolest new figures and he will be in my collection soon enough.

Another great review by Masked Builder.

Yeah that's one thing I don't like about him. :hmpf_bad:

*snip*

Interesting seeing the inclusion of the two trans-orange and light bley cheese-slopes on the walker's controls- they are not actually included in the model's instructions. They are just the two spare pieces that look good as control-lights. Strange how TLG 'edits' the models for cartoons... :laugh:

Whoa nice eyes. :laugh: I didn't notice that.

I got my first solid-studded minifigure heads in some Ninjago sets this year, and I can name at least one asset of this new style of head: the solidness allows for the word "LEGO" to be printed on the top, and for the Design ID and copyright info to be printed on the bottom.

Can't comment much on this set since I don't know much about CW, but I like the minifigure designs.

Thanks for another great review, Masked Builder. I have this set, but haven't built it. I think Ventress' head is spot on. She looks so much better than the first version.

I got my first solid-studded minifigure heads in some Ninjago sets this year, and I can name at least one asset of this new style of head: the solidness allows for the word "LEGO" to be printed on the top, and for the Design ID and copyright info to be printed on the bottom.

Oh okay. Good to know that.

Thanks for another great review, Masked Builder. I have this set, but haven't built it. I think Ventress' head is spot on. She looks so much better than the first version.

You should build it! Yeah LEGO did get her head right.

The quality of these minifigs is getting random. I had recessed studs for Anakin and Asajj and a regular head for Savage. I always liked the regular head because I have a scar on my forehead that looks exactly like that Y. :tongue: My Anakin minifig also had very faint printing on his head. You can't see any of the lines on his face for some reason.

And if there's one thing good about Savage's hands is that you can just put a yellow minifigs had on him and turn him into a cos-player. :laugh: I know my MCW entry for this year. :grin:

Edited by K-nut

The quality of these minifigs is getting random. I had recessed studs for Anakin and Asajj and a regular head for Savage. I always liked the regular head because I have a scar on my forehead that looks exactly like that Y. :tongue: My Anakin minifig also had very faint printing on his head. You can't see any of the lines on his face for some reason.

And if there's one thing good about Savage's hands is that you can just put a yellow minifigs had on him and turn him into a cos-player. :laugh: I know my MCW entry for this year. :grin:

Wow really? That's odd.....

:rofl:

Wow really? That's odd.....

:rofl:

I would've switched his head out with my other Anakin, but his details are too heavy and his face was printed low. At least I have an excuse to buy the T-6 Jedi Shuttle. :tongue:

Thanks for the review, Masked. I personally don't mind the asymmetry of the ship, but I'll still pass. Back in the day (AKA 2005) this set would've gone for 10 USD, but I know it's never going to be like that again.

The only reason I would get this set is for the minifigures. The prints have greatly improved over the previous CW prints, and I wish they were this good when CW sets first started in 2008. Anakin's is especially nice, and looks more like an improved version of his 2005 torso than one of the CW version (which is a good thing.

I still prefer a hood to the small horn headgear, but that's easily fixed. Not that I ever liked the idea of a Maul clone, but now I'm just ranting. :tongue:

I would've switched his head out with my other Anakin, but his details are too heavy and his face was printed low. At least I have an excuse to buy the T-6 Jedi Shuttle. :tongue:

That's a good set too! Which I reviewed. :grin:(see my profile page)

Thanks for the review, Masked. I personally don't mind the asymmetry of the ship, but I'll still pass. Back in the day (AKA 2005) this set would've gone for 10 USD, but I know it's never going to be like that again.

The only reason I would get this set is for the minifigures. The prints have greatly improved over the previous CW prints, and I wish they were this good when CW sets first started in 2008. Anakin's is especially nice, and looks more like an improved version of his 2005 torso than one of the CW version (which is a good thing.

I still prefer a hood to the small horn headgear, but that's easily fixed. Not that I ever liked the idea of a Maul clone, but now I'm just ranting. :tongue:

Asymmetry? I don't see any. Unless you mean the top and the bottom.

Yeah I wish they were too. These are some really cool figures.

Yeah I've got hoods and I'll have to try that.

Asymmetry? I don't see any. Unless you mean the top and the bottom.

I think he means because of the odd shape. You have a thin speeder on the left and a thick engine on the right.

I think he means because of the odd shape. You have a thin speeder on the left and a thick engine on the right.

Yeah, exactly. The two sides are not symmetrical, but I still think it's a cool design.

Yeah, exactly. The two sides are not symmetrical, but I still think it's a cool design.

True, I've never been a fan of sets that have similarities with Space sets. I like unique designs like this or the B-wing.

Oh sorry I though we were on the Geonosian Starfighter review. :blush:

Yeah it looks good.

True, I've never been a fan of sets that have similarities with Space sets. I like unique designs like this or the B-wing.

Yes. I have a hard time building like this though! :laugh:

Great review as always MB, but in all honesty I think you're being way too easy on this set. I don't think this is worth $25, nor do I think it's a good model, but I do respect your opinion. This set does have some great figures though, I'll give them that. :tongue:

Oh sorry I though we were on the Geonosian Starfighter review. :blush:

You can tell you're a hard core reviewer when you can't tell which of your reviews you in. :tongue:

VERY nice pictures and good review! I love the minifigs from this set, but just can't seem to go pick this up due to the pricing and the lack of interest in the vehicle, even though it has an interesting design.

W00t !?! mixmax.gif

I didn't post a message in that thread to say that the mark given to this model (basically 9/10) are about 3 or 4 times higher than what the model deserves ??? wiids.gif

Unless I didn't get that the reviewer chose a sarcastic review to turn this model into something fun ? cupra.gif

Edited by Anio

Thanks guys!

Great review as always MB, but in all honesty I think you're being way too easy on this set. I don't think this is worth $25, nor do I think it's a good model, but I do respect your opinion. This set does have some great figures though, I'll give them that. :tongue:

Yeah I can see your point but I really like the figs like you said.

You can tell you're a hard core reviewer when you can't tell which of your reviews you in. :tongue:

:laugh: You're right.