Si-MOCs

Great Wall of China

indexed.gif

After 2 Brickfetes, and two displays and a Train show, it was time to retire my Great Wall.

I enlisted my friends in helping with the dismantling of the wall... Using Nick's TechBot we tested Machine vs Wall....

Tech Bot (and Hulk) vs Great Wall

Watch the video of it's destruction:

Round 1 - TechBot VS Great Wall:

7593906370_4404f47660_z.jpg

Round 2 - TechBot and Hulk VS Great Wall:

7594017920_5bdfae3e80_z.jpg

and finally what's left:

7594187560_bdab361593_z.jpg

Great Wall of pieces by Si-MOCs, on Flickr

--

6063226503_1129415baf_z.jpg

The Great Wall of China is a series of stone and earthen fortification built over a millennium. Despite popular belief, the wall was not originally constructed to protect against Mongol invaders, but instead built by the various Chinese states to protect their own borders against each other during the Warring State Period in 5th century BC. Most of the original walls was destroyed after Qin conquered all opposing sates and unified the country. The remaining wall was extended into a new northern wall which would protect against the empire against the nomadic Mongols from the north.

The first walls were simple walls made up of rammed earth and stones. By the Ming dynasty in the 16th century more advance techniques were used on the rebuild the walls, bricks, tiles and cut stones.

The MOC depicts the great wall in later age as a young Emperor watches his army march to battle.

6063802684_769edccafe_z.jpg

6063249709_0ae27df606_z.jpg

More shots:

6063766758_3c0f721865_m.jpg

6063221355_f8f4d552c7_m.jpg

6063219829_bdb2f854d4_m.jpg

6063225359_6c949214e0_m.jpg

Full gallery

This should be called the great wall of soldiers, that's one great army you got there. :wink:

This is the best great wall of china moc i have ever seen

I agree. And the large amounts of green are very striking.

Thanks for the nice comments all!

Looks incredible but how come no close ups on the soldiers?

I didn't think anyone was that interested in the actual guys :P

I was going more for the pics of the MOC, but since you asked so nicely....

Emperor and his Entourage:

6063495611_ded78e554f_z.jpg

Spearman:

6063493993_34714b20a1_z.jpg

Foot Solider:

6063492475_c977f0a343_z.jpg

Custom bits from BrickTW.

Everyone else on the wall are stock LEGO minifigs.

This should be called the great wall of soldiers, that's one great army you got there. :wink:

I agree. And the large amounts of green are very striking.

Haha If I had known you guys were so into armies, I would have just posted the army next time and skipped the MOC :sarcasm_hmpf::laugh_hard:

That army looks awesome. Well if you want you can take pictures and post them in the army topic.

Wow, very nice job. Looks like the real thing! That armor and armaments on those troops are cool, as well. I like how you integrated the wall into the mountainside like the real thing.

Brilliant MOC! I've never been, but I would imagine this is very lifelike. Great usage of color/structure.

Either you've been holding your MOCs back for a couple months or you have waaaaay too much time on your hands. :laugh:

Great work. I think this is a really nice example of what classic studs-up construction done right can do. :thumbup:

Great build! The scale of the Wall isn't really that realistic, I think (I'm not sure, but I always thought it was bigger when seeing pictures of it), but the way you built it really captures the spirit of the Wall. A long and winding construction following the varying topography of the hills. The army is nice, too :classic: . Is there a reason why Aang is holding a lollypop, though? Is it supposed to represent something Chinese from those days or is it really just that, a lollypop?

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

That army looks awesome. Well if you want you can take pictures and post them in the army topic.

I'll keep that in mind :)

Wow, very nice job. Looks like the real thing! That armor and armaments on those troops are cool, as well. I like how you integrated the wall into the mountainside like the real thing.

Thanks! I tried to capture the 'feel' of the Great Wall, while sizing it down to be actually buildable :laugh:

Either you've been holding your MOCs back for a couple months or you have waaaaay too much time on your hands. :laugh:

Great work. I think this is a really nice example of what classic studs-up construction done right can do. :thumbup:

Ha!

You caught me. :blush:

Most of the stuff I'm posting I built for a show, I'm just getting around to photographing it now (after getting a big enough backdrop).

And yes, I have waaaaay too much time on my hands :laugh:

FINALLY someone who actually knows a bit of Chinese history, I always have to explain things to my friends and I have no association to the country.

Thanks!

I like to try to do a bit of research and try to provide some useful information or something entertaining to read along with my mocs :hmpf_bad:

Great build! The scale of the Wall isn't really that realistic, I think (I'm not sure, but I always thought it was bigger when seeing pictures of it), but the way you built it really captures the spirit of the Wall. A long and winding construction following the varying topography of the hills. The army is nice, too :classic: . Is there a reason why Aang is holding a lollypop, though? Is it supposed to represent something Chinese from those days or is it really just that, a lollypop?

haha you guys are sharp! :tongue:

Yes it's absolutely not to scale at all.

The actual wall is much higher, maybe twice as tall, and maybe 3-4 times wider depending on the area. You could actually ride 2-3 horses along the wall.

Even the elevation is compressed, there are some pretty sharp elevation changes. So yeah, I wussed out due to brick requirements :wacko:

Though a much smaller moc to scale might be an good idea for another Moc ... some day :excited:

It's a Lollypop :grin:

Ang has such a happy face ... he needs a reason to be happy... like a lollypop!

6063226503_1129415baf_z.jpg

The Great Wall of China is a series of stone and earthen fortification built over a millennium. Despite popular belief, the wall was not originally constructed to protect against Mongol invaders, but instead built by the various Chinese states to protect their own borders against each other during the Warring State Period in 5th century BC. Most of the original walls was destroyed after Qin conquered all opposing sates and unified the country. The remaining wall was extended into a new northern wall which would protect against the empire against the nomadic Mongols from the north.

Just a minor correction here. The Qin constructed/extended the existing walls to keep out the Xiong Nu (i.e. Huns). The Mongols didn't exist at that time.

Wow, this is huge! The undulating hills and wall are very well done, and I like yr gatehouse too. :thumbup: Such a perfect way to show off yr army! :thumbup:

They should make an official set of the great wall..

Imagine all the sales TLG would make in China alone.. with billions of consumers.

Just a minor correction here. The Qin constructed/extended the existing walls to keep out the Xiong Nu (i.e. Huns). The Mongols didn't exist at that time.

D'oh! right you are!

I need fact checkers next post!

Wow, this is huge! The undulating hills and wall are very well done, and I like yr gatehouse too. :thumbup: Such a perfect way to show off yr army! :thumbup:

Thanks!

It actually worked out quite well, I ran out of Orient Adventure guys by the end.

So it will never be longer than this.... maybe taller :laugh::devil:

Your depiction of the Great Wall is quite striking!! Amazing build!

Now THIS is why they call it the GREAT wall of China! :laugh:

hehe thanks. Sadly I have no where to put it, it's too long!

They should make an official set of the great wall..

Imagine all the sales TLG would make in China alone.. with billions of consumers.

I think LEGO is still too expensive for the mainstream Chinese market relative to the medium incomes, though i'm surprised some of the other local brick makers didn't do this in china - great marketing chance!

AWESOME work 'SI-mocs', the detail to both the wall and collection of troops are almost too much.....must be the more modern section of the wall ? :wink:

Brick On ! :grin:

This sucker looks much larger when it doesn't have B&W's MASSIVE castle just LOOMING over it like it did at Brickfete. :laugh:

Wickedly nice job, dude. :thumbup: