kabel

Stoneroda 1200

After seeing all these castle evolution mocs, I decided I'd go for a city evolution series. The idea developed during a class on urban geography I tought last sping term. Stoneroda is actually modeled after my hometown of Wernigerode, found at the foothills of Northern Germany's Harz mountains. However, due to the limitations of my Lego collection I had to simplify matters and came up with this:

Stoneroda is a small village at the intersection of two important trade roads. Around an old Inn a few more buildings have begun to spring up:

sscn0080.jpg

a number of peasants in simple huts still lives in the vicinity

sscn0082.jpg

however, as the area is favourable for the construction of a city several stone buildings are finally being raised

sscn0090.jpg

the local duke residing in the largest of them when not on his castle

sscn0089.jpg

the area is rich in natural resources and the rivers are teeming with fish

sscn0079.jpg

so, will Stoneroda remain a peaceful place?

more pics on brickshelfwhen public

Edited by kabel

I really like how all of this comes together. I especially like the fish in the water, and the gentleman lifting the brick. Great work!

Hehe the fish are awesome :)

Looks like a thriving little town!

I really like this. It's simple with just the right amount of detail. It reminds me of an old PC game I used to play. Great job!!

Oooh, this looks interesting. I always love a good evolution MOC, especially one that medieval-inspired. This one here is one of my favourites, but I'm sure yours will pan out great, too. You can't really compare the two, since you're going for a city's evolution and he did a castle one.

The build is simple, but all of the minifigs give it its something "special". It makes the MOC seem "alive" to me, like as if they're actually building themselves a new town :classic: . Can't wait for part two!!

Well, thanks for the positive feedback. I just started construction on phase two and I'll see how it turns out. However, your comments quite motivate a lot.

As for the simplicity, houses around that time were constructed rather simple and without much decoration. The highly elaborated facedes many percieve as mediaval are actually more of a Renaissance thing, at least in the region that i'm trying to depcit here. I'll try to put more details in it as this mocs evolves.

btw, the bs folder is public now

I love the construction scene, very convincing and I wonder what they're building.

Can't wait to see how this pans out, great beginning. :thumbup:

250 years have passed and the village became a nice little town. However since I'm waiting for the last bricks to arrive I thought I might present a little teaser of stoneroda 1450:

sscn0220.jpg

:wink: