I have an example use-case and wonder if it would useful to anyone else and worth implementing (or maybe possible with current functionality).

I recently bought some second-hand sets from eBay and there are a few pieces missing from a couple of the sets. I've added the set numbers to My Sets in Rebrickable but this now means my total part count is off as it includes the missing parts.

Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is

1. Select a set, e.g. "9394"
  2. Explode it into a "working set" of pieces
  3. Delete the missing parts from the working set (red flexible axles, angle connectors)
  4. Regroup the pieces into a set and add to My Sets, e.g. "9394- (My Edit)"

I can see how step 4 might be a bit like uploading an MOC so perhaps the functionality is almost there already but it would be handy to be able to do all the steps from within Rebrickable.

Maybe it's an edge case and of no use to anyone else but I thought I'd put it out there.

I have an example use-case and wonder if it would useful to anyone else and worth implementing (or maybe possible with current functionality).

I recently bought some second-hand sets from eBay and there are a few pieces missing from a couple of the sets. I've added the set numbers to My Sets in Rebrickable but this now means my total part count is off as it includes the missing parts.

Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is

1. Select a set, e.g. "9394"
  2. Explode it into a "working set" of pieces
  3. Delete the missing parts from the working set (red flexible axles, angle connectors)
  4. Regroup the pieces into a set and add to My Sets, e.g. "9394- (My Edit)"

I can see how step 4 might be a bit like uploading an MOC so perhaps the functionality is almost there already but it would be handy to be able to do all the steps from within Rebrickable.

Maybe it's an edge case and of no use to anyone else but I thought I'd put it out there.

It's happened to me too, got a couple of incomplete sets, and want to remove the missing parts. There are too many parts to add them individually, but no way to remove them. Adding/removing individual parts is tedious in both Rebrickable and Peeron, so I've given up........

Check out basebrick.com, I find that site perfect for managing my parts inventory. I keep my parts updated there, then export to Rebrickable to match MOCs etc.

This is probably the #1 feature I keep getting asked for, and will be the next major feature I add to Rebrickable. It's a lot of work to make it happen while keeping the site as fast as it is, there's a LOT of calculation going on behind the scenes. So I'm still trying to come up with the best way of doing it.

Why not simply adding a public MOC with the partslist of the original set and deleting the parts there? Well I know this is stupid because the public MOC list would be cluttered with half-original sets, but something along these lines.

@technicmad shouldn't it be reasonable to be able to add a private MOC to your set list? One could then simply add a private MOC to the set list, and alter the original parts list in there.

Also this should be a lot less work for you than adding a feature where you can take the original set and alter the parts list there, since you can already add a public MOC to your set list.

Edited by Balrog

This is probably the #1 feature I keep getting asked for, and will be the next major feature I add to Rebrickable. It's a lot of work to make it happen while keeping the site as fast as it is, there's a LOT of calculation going on behind the scenes. So I'm still trying to come up with the best way of doing it.

Maybe it's an idea to have a seperate 'my missing parts'-list? That way, you can keep all the official sets, and all the parts you have listed in this 'missing parts'-list are subtracted from the total parts-collection when doing calculations etc?

Something that would also be useful is to be able to set up matching 'rules'. For instance, have old grey gears match the new light bluish gears, or have old-style pin connectors without slot match the new ones with slot.

Maybe it's an idea to have a seperate 'my missing parts'-list? That way, you can keep all the official sets, and all the parts you have listed in this 'missing parts'-list are subtracted from the total parts-collection when doing calculations etc?

Great idea! Include an export to BL wanted list and there you go! ;-)

I can imagine. I'm sitting with a web application in front of me that's not behaving itself, while trawling through its backend tables trying to find the inconsistent data causing it grief. P.I.T.A.

Cheers for considering!

I faced this problem myself a few months ago but decided that nothing could be done as is and just entered the sets. It would be nice for a solution.

@technicmad: I have a feature suggestion.

Currently, it is possible when watching the details of a part to display the sets where the part occured, even sorted by color.

So I thought it would be cool to also show the MOCs where the part occured.

For example here:

http://rebrickable.com/parts/92908

When you scroll down you see the set numbers. Here could be a second "box" that shows the MOCs it appears in.

I would expect this to not be a hard change. The data is there. I guess it is a simple additional database query, or not?

Edited by Balrog

@technicmad: I have a feature suggestion.

Currently, it is possible when watching the details of a part to display the sets where the part occured, even sorted by color.

So I thought it would be cool to also show the MOCs where the part occured.

For example here:

http://rebrickable.com/parts/92908

When you scroll down you see the set numbers. Here could be a second "box" that shows the MOCs it appears in.

I would expect this to not be a hard change. The data is there. I guess it is a simple additional database query, or not?

There was a time that it worked like that. I found it very handy to check for instance all the MOCs that use the buggy motor.

All of a sudden it was gone. There must have been a good reason but I never heard what it was.

There was a time that it worked like that. I found it very handy to check for instance all the MOCs that use the buggy motor.

All of a sudden it was gone. There must have been a good reason but I never heard what it was.

Yes it used to do that but I got lots of requests to pull out the MOCs from those stats to keep it "pure". I was going to make it optional to add them back in but never got around to it.

Yes it used to do that but I got lots of requests to pull out the MOCs from those stats to keep it "pure". I was going to make it optional to add them back in but never got around to it.

Ah that is a good reason to disable this function. But ...

... as far as my knowledge and understanding to databases goes, I can only assume, that you are having MOCs and Sets in different tables anyway. Else you would have to flag each set and MOC differently and use that flag to differentate between them for the statistics or not? Shouldn't it then be possible to give even more extensive and different statistics to the pieces. Something like in my example where it says that the piece occurs 14 times spread over 4 sets and then it says occurs a bazillion times in a bazillion MOCs followed by the list of MOCs?

... as far as my knowledge and understanding to databases goes, I can only assume, that you are having MOCs and Sets in different tables anyway.

Probably not.

(maybe when using some inheritance, but I assume everything is linked to a single base table)

Else you would have to flag each set and MOC differently and use that flag to differentate between them for the statistics or not?

Something like this makes more sense. Adding some sort of ModelType/EntryType (MOC, Set, ...)

But I might be wrong of course :tongue:

Probably not.

(maybe when using some inheritance, but I assume everything is linked to a single base table)

Something like this makes more sense. Adding some sort of ModelType/EntryType (MOC, Set, ...)

But I might be wrong of course :tongue:

That is something, that only Technicmad can tell us. If he wants to, of course.

True!

To be honest, don't know why I made the reply. It's useless :hmpf_bad:

True!

To be honest, don't know why I made the reply. It's useless :hmpf_bad:

Because the programmer inside you automatically tries to solve the modelling problem whether you like to or not!

I do have a single "sets" table with a field indicating whether its a set or moc. I also have related tables to store moc specific details, and other things.

But in any case, it doesn't matter. The data on the website can be shown however I like, given that I'm using a decent database and can join more than 2 tables without it having a fit ;)

Because the programmer inside you automatically tries to solve the modelling problem whether you like to or not!

I do have a single "sets" table with a field indicating whether its a set or moc. I also have related tables to store moc specific details, and other things.

But in any case, it doesn't matter. The data on the website can be shown however I like, given that I'm using a decent database and can join more than 2 tables without it having a fit ;)

So in theory, my idea would be possible to do?

Oh sorry, forgot to answer you :) Yes it's possible. My problem is doing it in a nice and easily understandable manner on the page without cluttering things too much. Can I please get you to post this as a suggestion on my new Rebrickable forum and then others can chime in too, which will help me prioritise things.

Oh sorry, forgot to answer you :) Yes it's possible. My problem is doing it in a nice and easily understandable manner on the page without cluttering things too much. Can I please get you to post this as a suggestion on my new Rebrickable forum and then others can chime in too, which will help me prioritise things.

Sure, no problem ;)

I have a quick question related to the "my parts" list on Rebrickable. As I receive orders from Bricklink I have been entering these parts into the "my parts" section. I want to start pulling from my spare parts to use for mocs such as Sheepo's Mustang and Crowkillers Vampire GT. What I am looking to do is avoid pulling parts for one MOC and have my inventory on Rebrickable say I have those parts available for another MOC. On the other hand I do not want these parts completely deleted from my inventory because it took me forever to inventory the thousands of parts I now own. Any suggestions?

Hello, how to change paypal address to receive payments on rebrickable?

I am afraid that this is not an issue from Rebrickable, but from Paypal. I have been exactly in the same situation, and I just learnt that it is indeed impossible to change the Paypal address (or at least, the country). For that, you should open a new Paypal account with your new location. Of course, I can be wrong, and in such case, I would love to also know how to go ahead with this change :).