I just updated my site and added multiple links to yours(on the front page and in both of the instructions sections). I applaud you for what you have done for the Lego community... Great Work..! :thumbup:

I just updated my site and added multiple links to yours(on the front page and in both of the instructions sections). I applaud you for what you have done for the Lego community... Great Work..! :thumbup:

Thanks Paul :blush:

FYI I have added the Mindstorms sets to the database :)

Cool! :thumbup:

I will send you an iPad now :wink::laugh:

FYI I have added the Mindstorms sets to the database :)

thanks! finally I have my whole collection in the database :classic: (except for spare parts i bought on BL)

one another question: does it handle "counterpart" relations? i.e. when a wheel in a set is mentioned as 1 piece (complete assembly), and in another is mentioned as 2 piece (inner wheel and tyre)

for example when trying to build Lamborghini Gallardo it says I miss 4x 32495 and 4x 32496, but of course I have the 8070 set, and bricklink reports has 4x x873c01 which should be the same, isn't it?

thanks! finally I have my whole collection in the database :classic: (except for spare parts i bought on BL)

one another question: does it handle "counterpart" relations? i.e. when a wheel in a set is mentioned as 1 piece (complete assembly), and in another is mentioned as 2 piece (inner wheel and tyre)

for example when trying to build Lamborghini Gallardo it says I miss 4x 32495 and 4x 32496, but of course I have the 8070 set, and bricklink reports has 4x x873c01 which should be the same, isn't it?

You will be able to add spare parts eventually :) I am trying to handle the counterparts by making every set consistent, so you have found an example where I've missed one... thanks! I'll fix that to have everything use the combined part.

It would be nice if you could export the list of 'missing parts' to a CSV-file or something. (partnum, color, amount)

It would be nice if you could export the list of 'missing parts' to a CSV-file or something. (partnum, color, amount)

That would indeed be very very useful!!!

Really nice site! Very Bricksettish - by chance?

From where do you get all the data (inventories etc) ?

:thumbup:

I am working on an interface to Bricklinks wanted list to help with procuring the missing parts, I can also add a generic CSV export option.

Really nice site! Very Bricksettish - by chance?

From where do you get all the data (inventories etc) ?

:thumbup:

Thanks. The official set data comes from Bricklink (with permission) and I then modify it to suit my purposes better.

Not sure what you mean by bricksettish? I'm focusing more on the data analysis side of things rather than set news/reviews.

Hi,

I just came across this site today http://rebrickable.com/

It looks pretty good organized and updated

I am not sure who is behind it, but it does everything quite nicely for me

Let me know what you guys think of this, and if you use something else which you believe is better, let me know :) I might switch yet again

Sorry for re-posting then, the search option in this site is not that easy to use

:sceptic: It's not that bad; I just did a search for "rebrickable.com" and it worked just fine.

In any case I'll merge the topics...

Hi,

I just came across this site today http://rebrickable.com/

It looks pretty good organized and updated

I am not sure who is behind it, but it does everything quite nicely for me

Let me know what you guys think of this, and if you use something else which you believe is better, let me know :) I might switch yet again

Hi, it's my site. Happy to hear any questions/suggestions you have :grin:

Really? Very good idea mate, I think great things will come from this site!

Hi, great site.

It should be great to have a possibility to add custom part list to user inventory (for parts buyed from BrickLink). And later - a possibility to mark set as "built" and parts as "used" in MOC to have a option to search within unused parts when I dont want to disassemble models.

Lucas

Hi, great site.

It should be great to have a possibility to add custom part list to user inventory (for parts buyed from BrickLink). And later - a possibility to mark set as "built" and parts as "used" in MOC to have a option to search within unused parts when I dont want to disassemble models.

Lucas

Thanks. You can already add custom parts in the My Parts page, currently accessible from your account drop down at the top right. It's not quite finished yet but it's enough to get you started.

I also have plans which will allow the flexibility you are suggesting with the unused parts, but that probably won't be ready for a while :)

Thanks. You can already add custom parts in the My Parts page, currently accessible from your account drop down at the top right. It's not quite finished yet but it's enough to get you started.

I also have plans which will allow the flexibility you are suggesting with the unused parts, but that probably won't be ready for a while :)

YAY! Can't wait! I have SOOO many loose parts :-P

jojoguy10

Thats great!

I haven't been registered yet because I read on blog about sets only (part list not mentioned there). So, I'm going to register and try it :-)

Thats great!

I haven't been registered yet because I read on blog about sets only (part list not mentioned there). So, I'm going to register and try it :-)

Blog comment updated :) I haven't made it more obvious just yet because there's more to be done to improve it first.

Wow, this is a great idea. Can't wait for the loose parts section to progress a bit more; that's when I can really load it up.

I know this will probably never happen, but my dream would be for you, Peeron, and Brickset to get together and build a common database for my sets and parts. Then you all can all offer services off the same dataset, and we don't have to export/import back and forth all the time. And then get a feed from BrickLink so every time I buy something there, the order is automatically added to my loose parts!

Actually, you could probably parse the order confirmation emails from BrickLink and add them to my parts. How about that? We could forward the BL order confirmation email to something like new_bricklink_orders@rebrickable.com, you parse the email into parts and inventory, and then add it to our account? As long as we forwarded the email from the same email address as you have on file, you'd know which account to add it to. You could put the parsed order in a pending status until the user comes to the site, reviews it, and accepts it. Now that would be awesome.

I'm sure you must be flooded with people suggesting ideas, but here's another to add to the list: (optionally) display the estimated price of the missing parts for each set on the Build page (or the You Can Build detail page), based on the average recent BL price for each part (since you're getting part inventories from BL anyway). Yes I might be at 95% for a set, but if the missing pieces on the 95% set are expensive, I'm probably not going to build it (unless I love it). You probably want to keep this page fast, so maybe it's an optional feature.

If you're interested in open-sourcing the project, I'm sure you can find people to help you. I think you mentioned it's PHP; I'm more of a Ruby on Rails guy so I'm not much help there. Good move switching to PostgreSQL though!

Wow, this is a great idea. Can't wait for the loose parts section to progress a bit more; that's when I can really load it up.

My biggest challenge here is getting the time to do it :) I am trying to build it into a tool that can also help designers pick standard parts for their digital designs. Out of interest, how do you currently manage your list?

I know this will probably never happen, but my dream would be for you, Peeron, and Brickset to get together and build a common database for my sets and parts. Then you all can all offer services off the same dataset, and we don't have to export/import back and forth all the time. And then get a feed from BrickLink so every time I buy something there, the order is automatically added to my loose parts!

Never say never! I have been thinking about the same thing and I believe some progress will be made very soon ;)

Actually, you could probably parse the order confirmation emails from BrickLink and add them to my parts. How about that? We could forward the BL order confirmation email to something like new_bricklink_orders@rebrickable.com, you parse the email into parts and inventory, and then add it to our account? As long as we forwarded the email from the same email address as you have on file, you'd know which account to add it to. You could put the parsed order in a pending status until the user comes to the site, reviews it, and accepts it. Now that would be awesome.

An interesting idea, I'll add it to my list. Not sure if that's exactly how I'd do it but I'm up for anything that makes it easier to use the site.

I'm sure you must be flooded with people suggesting ideas, but here's another to add to the list: (optionally) display the estimated price of the missing parts for each set on the Build page (or the You Can Build detail page), based on the average recent BL price for each part (since you're getting part inventories from BL anyway). Yes I might be at 95% for a set, but if the missing pieces on the 95% set are expensive, I'm probably not going to build it (unless I love it). You probably want to keep this page fast, so maybe it's an optional feature.

Another neat idea, I definitely want to get some pricing info in there but haven't looked into it yet.

If you're interested in open-sourcing the project, I'm sure you can find people to help you. I think you mentioned it's PHP; I'm more of a Ruby on Rails guy so I'm not much help there. Good move switching to PostgreSQL though!

I'm a bit of a control freak and perfectionist so open-sourcing it doesn't appeal to me right now :) It is PHP, never touched Ruby before. The PostgreSQL move was a no-brainer... given that I'm a DBA by day with around 300 PG databases to look after!

Out of interest, how do you currently manage your list?

I use BrickSet for tracking the sets I own. For some reason, I've never really gotten into Peeron. I don't track the tons of parts I've bought on BL. I suppose they're in BL's database, and I probably have the order confirmation emails. Plus there's PaB cup purchases -- I don't have those tracked anywhere either. It would be nice to track it all somewhere, but I don't want to invest too much manual effort in it.

Never say never! I have been thinking about the same thing and I believe some progress will be made very soon ;)

That would be awesome! (Re: a common set and parts tracking database between Peeron, Rebrickable, and BrickSet)

An interesting idea, I'll add it to my list. Not sure if that's exactly how I'd do it but I'm up for anything that makes it easier to use the site.

Not quite my idea originally. I use TripIt, a web site that does just that for travel booking confirmation emails. You forward the emails to them, they parse them and put together a consolidated itinerary. It works really well. And they have to do it for tons of different travel vendors; you'd only have to do it for BrickLink order confirmations. I don't think it would be hard. The problem is that you'd have to modify the parser if BL changed their email format. But they don't appear to be changing anything very quickly these days...

It is PHP, never touched Ruby before. The PostgreSQL move was a no-brainer... given that I'm a DBA by day with around 300 PG databases to look after!

My personal feeling is that PHP just gets to be unmanageable as size and complexity of code grows. I found Ruby and Python to be much better. 300 PG databases is a lot! My company switched to Oracle (because they'd rather pay a fortune to someone I suppose), but I thought PG was great, and for us it was rock-solid for about five years. Never had a problem; never went down. I miss it. But I don't run the databases, I just have to use them.

Anyway, good luck with this, and I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread and the site. Now I'm off to see what sets I can build!