Wondering if you're adding Designer Han's MOCs

http://www.designer-han.nl/lego/

I have not asked him yet but have looked at this stuff and definitely want to :) Now that most of the functionality is working well, I'll spend more time on getting more sets in there.

How are you adding new sets to the database? If this is a manual process, is there a way we could help you? I would be happy to make the part list for the sets I own and your database lacks.

Are you doing this only for fun, or is there a way this can earn you money? It seems you invested a lot of time in this. I really like it, thanks a lot!

The official set data comes from Bricklink (with permission :) ). Its a combination of automated scripts and manual steps to check for errors, add tags to the sets, render all the new parts, identify mismatched part numbers (ldraw and bricklink dont agree all the time), normalise some parts/colors... etc. It does take a fair bit of time to do right, or the matching doesn't work as effectively as it could.

Its a fun thing. I finally found a way to combine my two loves of LEGO and IT :) If I wasn't spending all my spare time on this, it would be something else.. I can't sit still ;) Having said that, if I found a way it could make money without annoying the users or designers then I'd consider it. Right now, I have amazon affiliate links so if someone buys from amazon after clicking one of my site links I get a small commission. However, I know from experience that it is very unlikely to make much. If it covers the cost of hosting the site that would at least make my wife happy :D

Fun site. I'd love to see more MOC instructions/sets added.

So would I :) I have a backlog of quite a few which only have photo parts lists so they take quite a lot of time to enter in and check. I still have MOCs to be added from Anio, Grohl and Erik Leppen in the works. If any other MOC'ers out there want to be added to the database, please contact me :)

The love of Lego and IT......sounds familiar :sweet:

Having said that, if I found a way it could make money without annoying the users or designers then I'd consider it.

Some ideas... (which designers would need to consider?)...

• a link into a site where printable instructions could be obtained for a nominal fee... (shared with designers)
  • affiliate 'recommended BL' stores. Or special chrome pieces for the extra kick
  • somewhere to get 'custom stickers' (gasp / horror)

It would be great to see this extended to Model Team designs... :thumbup:

Edited by roamingstudio

Great site! Can't wait to use it to its full potential once the catalog is complete (or has all the Creator, Designer and Model Team sets at the very least)

Wonderful website !! It's an honour to have my models on this page. It makes it a lot easier for someone to build a specific MOC.

Thanks Jurgen :) Of course it wouldn't be possible without people like you who spend the time to create instructions for the rest of us mere mortals ;)

Some ideas... (which designers would need to consider?)...

• a link into a site where printable instructions could be obtained for a nominal fee... (shared with designers)
  • affiliate 'recommended BL' stores. Or special chrome pieces for the extra kick
  • somewhere to get 'custom stickers' (gasp / horror)

It would be great to see this extended to Model Team designs... :thumbup:

Thanks for the ideas. It would be up to the designers to charge for their instructions. Some do, some don't. If they want help to promote their MOCs perhaps I can help, I'm undecided at the moment if I want to go anywhere near this kind of idea.

Most of the set inventories submitted on Bricklink were done by sellers, so they are already helping me by making that data publicly available to the community. I am linking back to them from my catalog pages for free. I have no interest in trying to monetize their data, there's a whole lot of ethical issues at play here I want no part of :)

For now I'm happy just to build a site everyone can use and enjoy. I'd love to get a definitive database of MOCs with parts lists and instructions :D And if I can get to the stage where designers can self-submit their MOCs all the better!

Great site! Can't wait to use it to its full potential once the catalog is complete (or has all the Creator, Designer and Model Team sets at the very least)

I'll get there eventually :)

Said it also in the concept car thread, but I'll repeat myself: awesome website!

I hope you will fulfill my feature request soon :D

Said it also in the concept car thread, but I'll repeat myself: awesome website!

I hope you will fulfill my feature request soon :D

You've convinced me its something useful to add. There are complexities eg a part may come from many different source sets, but I'll take a look at it. First I will concentrate on getting more sets/themes in there, and adding the backlog of MOCs I have :)

And FYI I have just added Nico71's Forklift Truck :sweet: and fixed a couple of bugs :blush:

Edited by technicmad

You've convinced me its something useful to add. There are complexities eg a part may come from many different source sets, but I'll take a look at it. First I will concentrate on getting more sets/themes in there, and adding the backlog of MOCs I have :)

And FYI I have just added Nico71's Forklift Truck :sweet: and fixed a couple of bugs :blush:

Awesome!!

I'm seeing a bit of discrepancy with the parts it's telling me I'm missing:

If I pick Nico71's Forklift, among the parts it says I need: 2 x Clutch gears...

Yet I have the RC Bulldozer, and the PF Accessory kit in my set list, so I definitely have 2 of them! (in fact, I have about 10!)

Ditto for Grohl's Sea Harrier... it says, among others.. I'm missing 2 Pneumatic Cylinders... yet I have 1 copy of 8455, and 2 x 8436... so there's 14 cylinders I have at my disposal!

I'm guessing it's something to do with exact part numbers? in the Harrier.. it lists the missing cylinder as 47224c02... yet there's no such item at BrickLink.. the only matching Cylinder is 47224c01

RB

I'm seeing a bit of discrepancy with the parts it's telling me I'm missing:

If I pick Nico71's Forklift, among the parts it says I need: 2 x Clutch gears...

Yet I have the RC Bulldozer, and the PF Accessory kit in my set list, so I definitely have 2 of them! (in fact, I have about 10!)

It's because the colours don't match well enough. The gear in Nico's MOC is gray - but I'm guessing it should have been white as I've only seen these gears in white.

Ditto for Grohl's Sea Harrier... it says, among others.. I'm missing 2 Pneumatic Cylinders... yet I have 1 copy of 8455, and 2 x 8436... so there's 14 cylinders I have at my disposal!

I'm guessing it's something to do with exact part numbers? in the Harrier.. it lists the missing cylinder as 47224c02... yet there's no such item at BrickLink.. the only matching Cylinder is 47224c01

RB

The 47224c01 and c02 are the exact same part, but the c02 is modeled with the piston extended instead of closed.

Thanks for pointing these out, I will add some rules to help fix all occurances of this.

Yes my bad, building with SR3D and mlcad sometime gives some bugs or mistakes. Like the axle 2L black instead or red and some other mistake.

I repeat myself, but your work is impressive Nathan and always happy to help you in anything.

At the moment, that label is applied to any part which exists in 10 or less official LEGO sets. It doesn't consider number of parts or popularity on Bricklink (yet!)

you probably want to rate a part rare when it exists in only 1 (or possibly 2) sets.

Most of us have tons of parts, which are rated rare.

you probably want to rate a part rare when it exists in only 1 (or possibly 2) sets.

Most of us have tons of parts, which are rated rare.

Maybe I should check the referring site - if coming from eurobricks, assume user has everything. if coming from google, assume novice user :)

And FYI I have considerably improved performance of the site now :grin:

Details at http://rebrickable.com/blog/2011/08/performance-improvements/

Maybe I should check the referring site - if coming from eurobricks, assume user has everything. if coming from google, assume novice user :)

And FYI I have considerably improved performance of the site now :grin:

Details at http://rebrickable.c...e-improvements/

Hehe that's a bold assumption default_laugh_new.gif

Some wheels which have been released in a single set can definitely be considered rare.

However a part like this, can hardly be considered rare:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=64179

Nice to see you are improving the performance. Keep up to good work!

(small off topic question; is your website written in PHP or .NET (MVC) or ...)

Nice to see you are improving the performance. Keep up to good work!

(small off topic question; is your website written in PHP or .NET (MVC) or ...)

Was LAMP now LAPP :)

Scan bricklink once a week or so and test availability of parts, store it and use it say if parts are rare or not. Just an idea.

Scan bricklink once a week or so and test availability of parts, store it and use it say if parts are rare or not. Just an idea.

Does anyone actually find the rare label useful? If not I can just remove it completely and avoid the confusion :)

Does anyone actually find the rare label useful? If not I can just remove it completely and avoid the confusion :)

I think it will be useful, it's quite handy to know if the piece you're missing is less likely to be available, because it might encourage a little MOCing of a design. Right now, however, it's misleading as pieces like the spider (30238) in black show up as rare when they really aren't. It might be worth temporarily removing it and adding it back when the set database is more complete. It'll probably be a lot easier to determine a good heuristic for when something is "rare" then too, rather than tweaking it now in ways that might be less helpful in future.

I have one suggestion. Personally, I have more spare parts then sets. Is there some way to create an inventory (sort of like "My Sets") of parts along with sets?

It could be set up like a big menu:

1x15 Beam-------(textbox for quantity)(dropdown for color)

+Add item

What do you think?

jojoguy10

I have one suggestion. Personally, I have more spare parts then sets. Is there some way to create an inventory (sort of like "My Sets") of parts along with sets?

It could be set up like a big menu:

1x15 Beam-------(textbox for quantity)(dropdown for color)

+Add item

What do you think?

jojoguy10

I will definitely be doing this :)

I, for one, do believe this to be a very handy function, but it doesn't seem complete yet. If you disable it til you have registered til, lets say you have registered all sets from 2002 til to day, and then enable it again we will get around the problem of common parts showing up as rare.

But, that said, it's not a function I could not do without, so maybe your time is better spent on other functions?

Anyway, thanks for a great tool that becomes better by the day!!

-ED-

The "Load all # parts" link doesn't work on an iPad. Any chance you can make this work? Would be great!

Edited by Gekke Ted

The "Load all # parts" link doesn't work on an iPad. Any chance you can make this work? Would be great!

If you can send me an iPad, no problem :) I'll try to figure it out... do any other links not work?

I want to make it iPhone/iPad friendly, but am not there yet.