• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

traintech1.jpg

gallery_6705_157_25242.png

The glory days of 9V... :cry_sad:

Back in that wonderful era, LEGO released many great trains and rolling stock throughout the 1990s and the first half of the 2000s. In the early 2000s, LEGO did something unique with a concept known to the community as 'My Own Train.' Basically, it was an option for LEGO fans to customize and build their own train, by being able to order locomotives and tenders in all sorts of different colors, as well as a decent selection of rolling stock to pick from. In light of the Reviewers Academy 3rd Anniversary, today I shall be reviewing the Passenger Wagon, a classic train kit released along with the My Own Train series.

6057023300_956c954f0f_z.jpg

Name: 10015 Passenger Wagon

Theme: Trains (9V)

Year: 2001

Pieces: 194

Minifigures: 0

Price: USD 19.99

Further References: Brickset.com, BrickLink.com, Peeron.com, flickr

The Box

6057024098_29aa52edfa_o.jpg

(Credit to BrickLink for box picture)

The box is quite unusual and unique from what people may be used to. For one, it features actual photographs of some typical railroad scenery, even though it is difficult to make out in this picture. The colors used in the photography work great to emanate an antique, old-fashioned feeling. Of course, the My Own Train logo is branded on top, with the passenger wagon superimposed on the background.

The Instructions: Front Cover

6056475205_04ce3522fa_z.jpg

Back then, this particular series of trains was some of the special few sets that utilized the 5 digit numbering series. Many of these sets featured instruction booklets with relatively plain backgrounds, sans any faint images in the background that are typically seen on other instructions.

The Instructions: Back Cover

6056475269_9220a6e27a_z.jpg

Oddly enough, the back cover is the last step of the instructions. No advertisements, no screaming kid, nothing like that.

The Pieces

6056475323_93bda1bfab_z.jpg

All of the 194 pieces are in common, but welcoming colors. Many of the green pieces, like the doors and the windows, are rare. Needless to say, this train set also has a number of pieces unique to the train theme, many of which fetch for a few bucks each on BrickLink.

Notable Pieces

6056475373_1fb0a7bdd7_z.jpg

What treasures these are to any railgeek! I really like the windows, as they are only found on this set.

The Build

6056475437_a54961bc71_m.jpg6057023654_f501211b68_m.jpg

6056475577_0b8cb92cd7_m.jpg6057023792_7f0e7d69ae_m.jpg

The build is very straightforward and simple, and should not pose any issues.

Finished Build

6057023874_03dfbd447a_z.jpg

The simple build translates into a simple design, and in my opinion when it comes to rolling stock, simplicity works great.

Design and Playability

The Set

6057023952_319f736374_z.jpg

(Note that the set doesn't come with any 9V track)

I appreciate how the passenger wagon is conservatively designed, as it gives it a quaint and toyish look to it. I am also fond of the color scheme. Red and green work well together to allow this to fit in some LEGO Christmas layout, but simultaneously, the use of black offsets the holiday feel enough to make it seem more of a generic train car. It can work both ways.

But wait - did you know that the passenger wagon also came in blue? :oh3: It was released in a limited edition set called 4534 LEGO Express. But it's also super rare and expensive.

Train Door

6056475829_a0496810ec_z.jpg

The train features opening doors to the inside, where there are four chairs for minifigures to sit in. How do they get inside? The passenger wagon is designed for easy removal of the top, allowing the minifigures to be placed inside.

Bogies

6056475903_9a8c353068_z.jpg

While there isn't too much detail on the bogies, it does not really bother me much. It adds to the simplicity of the overall model.

6056475955_dfd6953214_z.jpg

Coupled up to a large grey locomotive, the passenger wagon is now ready to service the LEGO town railway. Features ME Models track.

Conclusion

I am sorely disappointed that LEGO doesn't seem to be releasing individual pieces of rolling stock anymore. That was one of my favorite aspects of the 9V line, and many great freight and passenger pieces of rolling stock were released as a result. I regret not being into trains as much as I am today when I was younger, although space was always an issue when it came to LEGO trains. Nevertheless, I'm grateful that this sweet little passenger wagon is a part of my fledgling train collection.

Thanks for reading, and a huge shoutout to the Reviewers Academy for three years of promoting the best LEGO set reviews on the Internet! :thumbup:

Thanks for putting out this review, R8! Great to see these fantastic train sets getting some attention. :wub:

The passenger wagon is a beauty. It's deceptively simple looking upon first glance, but it features so many lovely details.

Awesome review and thank you. God, I wish I would have been out of my dark ages when this came out. The going rate on eBay is usually $50 or more for this one. I would have bought a fleet of them back in the day. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get my hands on this one eventually.

Thanks pal. I am totally clueless about this set as it was released during my dark age. I can imagine that this is one of the highly sought set as you can use it to assemble wagon after wagon to hold these travelling passengers. It's great to see it here.

Awesome review. I've highlighted it in a blog post. Congratulations on the Reviewers Academy 3 year anniversary!

I really miss this series. I wish they would release something along this line again. I wonder if it just didn't do well. I know adult train fans loved it. I wonder if it just never caught on with the kiddies.

Ah a train set. I've always like trains, I'll probably never have the room to build a layout, but I do still enjoy seeing the LEGO sets. You've reviewed the set well! :thumbup:

Thanks for the review '-R8-', such an old school design this passenger car is....straight out of late 19th century and all that green ! :grin:

Brick On ! :grin:

-R8-: thanks for revisiting this classic 9V era passenger wagon. Many beat up the My Own Train sets, but I've always liked this car. Despite the roof that does not lift off, the color is fantastic and the first green passenger car that LEGO produced; surprisingly as green was so common in Pullman train cars. I love the use of the 2x3 windows and green doors making this car "more vintage" in style and design. Your pictures are real nice as well.

Kwagge: it's interesting to see this car in dark green. Great alternate color. :thumbup:

Back when I was building my Ghost Train, I used the basic design for this Haunted Train Coach:

passengercar2.jpg

Brickshelf Gallery

In any case, nice set and an equally nice review.

EDIT: Oh, and I really like the My Own Train boxart; so different from other LEGO Train sets.

Thanks for the great comments, guys. Kwagge, TheBrickster, wonderful models! They exemplify quite how versatile and usable the Passenger Wagon's design is.

Thanks for the review. I always liked the idea of the series. I can see this having tons of possibilities for passenger wagon after wagon rolling along.

Any thoughts on what the 1x3 plate and 1x3 arch (on page 3), back by the 4th seat, is supposed to be? Fireplace on a passenger wagon?

PS - The Grey Loco is a really cool engine. Hadn't seen it before.

I like this passenger car, but I can't help feeling that it is too small to be used for anything other than a small steam train.

I really wish Lego would release more modern passenger style cars, similar to the middle car in 4558 as a rolling stock set. I know they have released the club car, but a train made entirely of club cars would look out of place.

Great review. This car is definitely worth the $20. I think the whole My Own Train line was nice, but this is really cool.

I liked the green passenger wagon. I really loved it in blue, which came in the target exclusive. Its just too bad,

it was only available in very limited release.

I also really loved the concept of the individual train rolling stock. Its too bad that Lego has decided not to continue to sell

the rolling stock individually, especially for me as a train enthusiast.