1980-Something-Space-Guy

Do you think that Alien Conquest is up to Lego Space standards?

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is Alien Conquest up to Space Standards?

• Yes, it's just different
    • More or less
    • No
    • There is no thing such as "Space Standards"

Hi all. When I saw the first pics of Alien Conquest, I wasn't very thrilled. After seeing the products, even though I think that many of the designs are very nice, I just feel it's not up to the standards set up by previous Space subthemes. However, I might be biased because my favorite era of space is the one before the year 2000. What do you think? Do you like this theme?

Edited by johnnyvgoode

Hi all. When I saw the first pics of Alien Conquest, I wasn't very thrilled. After seeing the products, even though I think that many of the designs are very nice, I just feel it's not up to the standards set up by previous Space subthemes. However, I might be biased because my favorite era of space is the one before the year 2000. What do you think? Do you like this theme?

I think Mars Mission set the bar high, and that Alien Conquest isn't at the same level. It feels very circa 1980s to me. Especially the "good guy" helicopter and truck.

Edited by JLego

Definitely superior to me to the stuff between 1995 and 2000. It is not like much happened back then. We have the Exploriens which weren't really LEGO's best, even though I loved them back in the day and got plenty of their stuff, including the large ship. Then we have UFO, I think the new UFO designs are much better because they use less ultra large bricks. Then we end up with Life on Mars, a couple of great mechs but otherwise not very well done and the Alien minifigs weren't really great.

Of course, when you compare with other more classical eras, the comparison is harder.

Mars Mission was hit or miss to me, some stuff is great, like this baby:

7649-1.jpg

But they also have this:

7644-1.jpg

Which doesn't make much sense.

And finally, when you compare this:

mm010.jpg

With this:

ac003.jpg

Alien conquest tends to look better.

But then you have to wonder if the color scheme choice for the humans was well-thought. I think if they were grayer they would look more like military tech and be sexier. Too bad.

Edited by vexorian

And finally, when you compare this:

mm010.jpg

With this:

ac003.jpg

Alien conquest tends to look better.

But then you have to wonder if the color scheme choice for the humans was well-thought. I think if they were grayer they would look more like military tech and be sexier. Too bad.

That is true. I do love the new aliens from this line. However, I would have personally prefered this theme not to involve humans at all. Something like UFO. Then we would have Alien cities and such. I would find it a more interesting concept than the "Close Encounters of the Third kind" thing they have done. But then again, that's just me.

Edited by johnnyvgoode

I don't think it is space proper, I mean the humans are not in space. It's similar in design for the aliens to the old UFO sets, but is more like Lego Space UFO sets attack Lego City with the police (ADU) being given some semi-whizzy vehicles and a rather blocky helicopter to fight them off with. I think if you consider the ADU to be police rather than a military then the colour scheme works better, but they are not themselves spacemen, they just look like regular humans in riot type gear.

I don't think it is space proper, I mean the humans are not in space. It's similar in design for the aliens to the old UFO sets, but is more like Lego Space UFO sets attack Lego City with the police (ADU) being given some semi-whizzy vehicles and a rather blocky helicopter to fight them off with. I think if you consider the ADU to be police rather than a military then the colour scheme works better, but they are not themselves spacemen, they just look like regular humans in riot type gear.

Maybe that's something I dislike about this theme. It doesn't feel like a space adventure. As you have said, it's more like Lego City attacked by UFO. :sceptic: I hate to see Space Police III go :cry_sad:

While I do agree Alien Conquest kind of stretches the concept behind the core LEGO theme "Space," I think it's an absolutely delightful theme, and I fully intend to try to get all the sets, with multiples of several (circumstances permitting). As long as LEGO's themes outside the basic City theme are all focused on conflict between factions anyway, Alien Conquest seems to be the ideal realization of that basic play idea in a LEGO sci-fi context.

I am looking forward to the next "true" Space theme (one that, you know, goes back into space :tongue: ), but AC is wonderful in the meantime.

Maybe that's something I dislike about this theme. It doesn't feel like a space adventure. As you have said, it's more like Lego City attacked by UFO. :sceptic: I hate to see Space Police III go :cry_sad:

To be fair, this is what most of the promotional material for the 1997 UFO theme was like. There were some catalog images and so forth that showed the "alien homeworld" of the UFO faction, but most comics and so forth tended to show an invasion scenario, and the UFO faction was never seen interacting with other Space factions as far as I remember.

I miss SPIII too, and am not bothering to collect Alien Conquest sets (unless the spending bug bites me, which I plan to avoid). But I think Alien Conquest is a well-designed theme given its concept, and I really like the idea of B-movie aliens versus against the modern and militaristic ADU. The set designs also strike me as superb, much better than the awkward designs of 1997 UFO.

Overall, for me, the issue comes to a question I often find myself visiting regarding the collectible minifigures: would we be better off if TLG never explored this idea? If yes, of course, then that means we should never, ever have an alien invasion theme. But if not, then now is as good a time as any, and there's no way we'd ever get an alien invasion theme if not as a Space theme.

So does Alien Conquest fit in with other Space themes? Not in the slightest. But is it up to LEGO Space standards? Most definitely yes.

While I do agree Alien Conquest kind of stretches the concept behind the core LEGO theme "Space," I think it's an absolutely delightful theme, and I fully intend to try to get all the sets, with multiples of several (circumstances permitting). As long as LEGO's themes outside the basic City theme are all focused on conflict between factions anyway, Alien Conquest seems to be the ideal realization of that basic play idea in a LEGO sci-fi context.

I am looking forward to the next "true" Space theme (one that, you know, goes back into space :tongue: ), but AC is wonderful in the meantime.

To be fair, this is what most of the promotional material for the 1997 UFO theme was like. There were some catalog images and so forth that showed the "alien homeworld" of the UFO faction, but most comics and so forth tended to show an invasion scenario, and the UFO faction was never seen interacting with other Space factions as far as I remember.

I miss SPIII too, and am not bothering to collect Alien Conquest sets (unless the spending bug bites me, which I plan to avoid). But I think Alien Conquest is a well-designed theme given its concept, and I really like the idea of B-movie aliens versus against the modern and militaristic ADU. The set designs also strike me as superb, much better than the awkward designs of 1997 UFO.

Overall, for me, the issue comes to a question I often find myself visiting regarding the collectible minifigures: would we be better off if TLG never explored this idea? If yes, of course, then that means we should never, ever have an alien invasion theme. But if not, then now is as good a time as any, and there's no way we'd ever get an alien invasion theme if not as a Space theme.

So does Alien Conquest fit in with other Space themes? Not in the slightest. But is it up to LEGO Space standards? Most definitely yes.

You have both made some fair points. I agree that this is not what Lego Space is traditionally about, and I don't think that Lego should ever stop producing true Space sets. I do admit that the designs are very good (even though I'm not a fan of the color scheme of ADU), and that it's good to explore this idea of aliens visiting Earth. Also, in the meantime, we get some awesome minifigs. :grin: I also hope we get some more real space soon! I don't think I'll be buying sets either, but I do intend to collect all the aliens, and maybe even an ADU guy. Perhaps if they designed a REAL mothership, then I might be hooked. :classic:

I think AC is good but not exceptional. It was always going to be difficult for TLG to match the excellence of SP3. The AC minifigs are great (I have a bunch of these, which Lego stores are giving out for free with large purchases) and some of the sets are nice, but none strike me as a real "must have" the way many SP3 sets did. I plan to grab the alien minifigs off Bricklink, as they would go well with the SP3 villians.

The set designs also strike me as superb, much better than the awkward designs of 1997 UFO.

UFO had some good designs despite the big pieces. The largest set was weak but the others were better, and 6915 is still one of my favorites among any space theme.

I think Mars Mission set the bar high, and that Alien Conquest isn't at the same level. It feels very circa 1980s to me. Especially the "good guy" helicopter and truck.

If you mean bad aliens, some bad ships and a strange colour scheme, then yes, mars mission did set the bar high. :tongue:

Only joking, while I enjoyed mars mission, alien conquest is way better, and I think this is just biased.

Yeah really pleased to see this line of aliens be more of the classic minifigure style. I makes them more playable personally. Previous version were cool but often you couldn’t have an alien steal/pilot an earth ship or visa versa because the figure couldn’t attach to cockpit area in the same way. I think overall Lego designs are improving for example even the shout out to nnenn on the VicViper styled ship, and building techniques are increasing difficulty. Also I’m very pleased to see Lego cycling back to original Classic Space color scheme with the blue and gray ships with the ADUs. :thumbup::thumbup:

Well, it all depends on what everyone's personal standards are. Classic, Blacktron, Futuron, etc. The story is probably the best story TLG has done in the space line. Some of the sets live up to my expectations, like the UFO and the Truck. It definitely has the good ol', 50's Sci-fi concept with Tripods and UFO's. But standards are personal. Nothing can live up to Classic space, because it's Classic. It certainly is as good as Space Police or Mars mission.

Another standard is what your supports are. Minifigs, Pieces, Designs, etc. These are probably some of the most detailed minifigs in the Space line. The pieces give you a good mix of blue, grey, purple, and so on. There are also good molds in these colors. The designs are very good in this subtheme, More so than other subthemes.

I think that Alien Conquest has lived up to space standards. It's a great, eye-catching line, and I hope to see more in the future.

If you mean bad aliens, some bad ships and a strange colour scheme, then yes, mars mission did set the bar high. :tongue:

Only joking, while I enjoyed mars mission, alien conquest is way better, and I think this is just biased.

And "Alien Conquest is way better" isn't a biased statement? :tongue: I respectfully disagree. :classic:

Anyways, I think it depends on what we all expect from a space line. Even though my main Lego passion is minifigs, this wouldn't make me like a theme with awesome minifigs and not-so-good sets (but I'm not implying this one is the case).

Also, about the Classic Space color scheme coming back, I have to disagree here too. Yes, it was blue, grey, and even yellow, but a great part of their color scheme was the minifig's!!! I would love these colors coming back in some sort of neo-classic space theme... But in this case, I don't find it makes a big difference, personally.

Yeah really pleased to see this line of aliens be more of the classic minifigure style. I makes them more playable personally. Previous version were cool but often you couldn’t have an alien steal/pilot an earth ship or visa versa because the figure couldn’t attach to cockpit area in the same way.

I definitely agree. Instead of making those ugly one-piece guys that all look alike, we get these modifications to the already existent minifigure, further increasing the amount of possible combinations of minifigures possible. As a big fan of the minifigure, I'd rather see new minifigures than new "figures", if you know what I mean.

Perhaps one of the distinctive characteristics of this theme is that it is not as futuristic as the others. Still, I think that Lego should always have a fairly futuristic space adventure subtheme.

But they also have this:

7644-1.jpg

Which doesn't make much sense.

What's wrong with the MX-81??! Its the best spacecraft lego has created to date!

I can't see this series going too far but then what do I know. I bought one of the smaller sets because I liked the vehicle but none of the other sets interested me. I visit many Lego retailers on a regular basis and they don't seem to move much. I think the idea behind it is cool but the sets just are not thought out well. It really just comes down to personal preference. Who knows, it may turn out to be a huge series for Lego. As for the first question, I think this is Lego's new "space" theme and NO, I don't think it's as good as past space themed sets. I do like the colors involved though.

Edited by 22kane

Also I’m very pleased to see Lego cycling back to original Classic Space color scheme with the blue and gray ships with the ADUs. :thumbup::thumbup:

The trans-yellow is missing though. I think that is actually one reason I haven't warmed up to this theme as much as I might have. Lego Space just has to have colorful transparent windscreens in my book. None of this trans-black or clear crap. :laugh:

The trans-yellow is missing though. I think that is actually one reason I haven't warmed up to this theme as much as I might have. Lego Space just has to have colorful transparent windscreens in my book. None of this trans-black or clear crap. :laugh:

Hahahaha, so true. Miss those trans neon green windscreens. :sad:

My son really got into Mars Mission, and is still really upset that the theme ended. He likes the Alien's from the new Alien Conquest line, but has not shown any interest in getting any of the sets. He went straight for the minifigure pack though in the Lego store yesterday. That may be what this theme has done - created some great new minifigures and accessories (the new gun is a classic) but I cannot see the theme lasting long. The set I would buy would be the Vic Viper if it was available seperately - that is a beautiful design - but I cannot justify the spend on the big set it comes in.

What's wrong with the MX-81??! Its the best spacecraft lego has created to date!

The theme was about astronauts going to Mars to mine crystals. They encounter aliens who also want the crystals and battle ensues. Thus all of their mining vehicles had to be modified for battle. This spacecraft looks like a warship instead of a cargo vessel that was retrofitted for battle.

Edited by Arigomi

Personally I found the Mars Mission sets to be close to the worst space sets ever.

I would say that Alien Conquest is the BEST space theme since Ice Planet.

I think Alien Conquest taps into a slightly different... not market exactly, but a different vein of space and sci-fi story telling. 'Traditional' Lego Space is about exploration (with a little combat thrown in, granted), whereas Insectoids and Mars Mission are more focussed on an action film sort of feel, and then Space Police III is an almost cartoony take on Space, with the over-the-top alien designs.

Alien Conquest has the definite vibe of a 50s B-movie, with a bit of a modern 'saving the world' action slant to it. I'd say it was for a slightly different type of sci-fi fan than a lot of the previous lines. It feels different, both a continuation and an off-shoot of what has come before.

TLC have dared to try something a bit different, and I for one will applaud them for it. It helps that a lot of the sets look nice too, of course.