Sign in to follow this  
Tomcat RIO

MOC mini SuperStar Destroyer

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hi all,I'm usually a pirates and castle lego guy, but in the first instance of making a SW MOC, i built 1 of my favourites from the trilogy. Knowing I will never be able to afford or get the UCS 10221 past door security, I settled on a Mini MOC by bashing the normal star destroyer, sith infiltrator, and bits from a MF4504 and vader's Tie.

DSCN7461.jpg

DSCN7462.jpg

DSCN7466.jpg

DSCN7467.jpg

DSCN7468.jpg

DSCN7465.jpg

Some very nice techniques there Tomcat RIO, especialy in the engines. It's not very accurate but is definitely recognisable as the Super Star Destroyer. You may need to move the parts for the bridge closer together as they are a bit to wide at this scale.

I think it looks fantastic.

It almost looks like the top was just thrown together but after closer inspection it just looks good and in my eyes pretty accurate looking, a sort of greebling effect.

Some very nice techniques there Tomcat RIO, especialy in the engines. It's not very accurate but is definitely recognisable as the Super Star Destroyer. You may need to move the parts for the bridge closer together as they are a bit to wide at this scale.

yup, trying to mimic the 10221 and movie bridge. I am still looking through my heap of grey to find a jumper stud and a 1x3 light bluish grey plate as most of mine are the old light grey. Thanks for the feedback I always love to improve.

I think it looks fantastic.

It almost looks like the top was just thrown together but after closer inspection it just looks good and in my eyes pretty accurate looking, a sort of greebling effect.

:) It was, sort of thrown together at first, but after 30mins of looping a scene in Episode VI. I edited and rearranged some areas, tidying up, and adding more 1x2 tiles to simulate the busy control section. I'd probably edit again when my small batch of dark bluish grey plates arrive from BL.

Not bad at all. I like how you attached some of the wedge plates at an angle to make them match up with the angles of the 3x12 plates.

This is actually pretty nice Tomcat RIO. The 4x8 wedge plates you angled inwards are a nice technique to design the shape of the Executor well. But I have to agree with Mr Man, you should move the parts of the bridge closer to make it more accurate. But I think you did a really good job here, well done!

Edited by Hollander

Here with an updated SSD mk2 , with changes to the bridge and front hull. ala my final version to display on shelf

ssd2.jpg

ssd26.jpg

made the bridge smaller, with a clip plate and the original sheild domes

ssd25.jpg

mounted on a 1x2 jumper tile. This allows the bridge to be as small as possible( less than a 1x3plate which would have been the other alternative)

ssd24.jpg

the darkgrey section is removable

ssd21.jpg

here i show the studs attaching the top and bottom wings - that also allow a constant angle for the plates

ssd23.jpg

ssd22.jpg

Thanks for looking and the comments!

thanks guys, your intitial feedback has helped improved the model by alot. Also thanks for the feature on the blog frontpage 2 weeks back, I didnt know it until I checked it just now!

My next SW project is with the Advent calendar. Trying to build the scene from Yavin where the red squadron x-wings lock s-foils in position . And also building the Deathstar trench scene in advent mini scale - so do keep a lookout in a couple of weeks!

A very nice Mini Super Star Destroyer Tomcat RIO and vastly improved with the new bridge section. :thumbup:

You could try replicating 10221 further by removing the dark grey section and displaying the bounty hunter scene :laugh: .

You've really got some cool techniques in there. :thumbup: Version two is definitely better, though I'm not sure about the peg-leg Darth Vader... :laugh:

Yeah, I missed the fisrt post but you have made much improvments from the first build and taken the advice from members to make it better. This Star Wars crowd can be hard to please sometimes. :thumbup: