Sign in to follow this  
Ingmar

The Kraken attacks !

Hi there,

I don't often come to this forum due to the high quality of most of your creations I can't compete with, but I would like to introduce, just for you, one of my last Work In Progress.

I'm the only one in my french lug in working with lego old ships of the line, and in applying the Captain Green Hair's technic, and I have built several ships by this way, but this light frigate, instead of being quite simple, was conceived with a particularity : she consists in two parts made to fit and to slide perfectly the one on the over, wich is nearly invisible on the pictures.

The Espada (it is supposed to be a spanish frigate) was conceived to make part of a gigantic project of diorama. In facts, the scene is too big to allow me to put it in my room, that's why I have to wait to be in an exhibition to take pictures or videos, and the public usually likes it. It is also still a project ; much things are to be improved, but the mecanism has proved itself and I could take the first videos so that I can share it with you and extend the creation of Eurobricks.

The scene represents a spanish flotilla standing near a mysterious island, when a kraken suddently appears close to the coast, and sink two frigates. The kraken's tentacles are animated, and the prow of the Petirrojo is in flames, buffeted by the monster, while the sea opens and sinks the stern of the Espada until she finishes into the mouth of the Kraken.

OK, enough words, here are the videos :

The sinking of the Espada, and you con see the whole diorama.

The passengers of the Petirrojo trying to survive between the tentacles.

Here, I introduce my waterfall system and a very small french army, before focusing on the cave I built beneath the island.

And finally, additional videos taken during the tests, from several points of view.

Well, that's all for the moment, I know that my ships are quite modest, due to the fact that I don't own a lof of amazing parts, but I hope my work stands noteworthy, and that you will like it. If you have any idea to help me in the continuation, it would be great to discuss about it right here.

To go further, here is a small galery for the Espada :

http://photos.freelu...aurent+B/Epada/

sdc10341.jpg

sdc10342.jpg

I had no time to make a movie of the scene, with scene edition and music of POTC, but I'll have it done one day pirate_classic.gif

Oh, and by the way, I apologize if my english is...strangepirate_sceptic.gif

Kind regards,

LaurentB

Edited by Ingmar

The animatronics in these are quite interesting, I've never seen anything like that before :thumbup: . They are a bit choppy, but hey it's LEGO. The underwater scenes are nice, I like the redcoat inspecting the giant skeleton.

I think if you are planning to "properly" build the frigate (without the split in the middle) it would benefit from having plain brown hull pieces, it looks a little messy/unfinished right now. Also perhaps the masts should be a little taller? I don't really know. That being said the line is great and you've inspired me to start my own :pir-sweet: .

Overall it's amazing, great job :pir-wub:. I hope to see your mocs here more often, both L'Archiveur and this are great.

I think if you are planning to "properly" build the frigate (without the split in the middle) it would benefit from having plain brown hull pieces, it looks a little messy/unfinished right now. Also perhaps the masts should be a little taller? I don't really know. That being said the line is great and you've inspired me to start my own :pir-sweet: .

I think the frigate was built for the purpose of this display. Notice that the red bricks on the underside of the hull line up with the non-tiled areas of the water, and act as sort of guidelines for the ship as it slides backwards.

Thank you Skipper, but the frigate in the harbour was a special scene improvised for the exhibition and, the red bricks have nothing to do with the non-tiled-area ; they are skates designed to make her slide on the sea of my diorama when it lowers. There are two snot rails on the blue surface which align with the red bricks.

Concerning the masts, the frigate is shown as making a stop, that's why the seamen are dismasting her, and her sails are rolled up.

Thank you Skipper, but the frigate in the harbour was a special scene improvised for the exhibition

I know, but she's a beautiful ship which I thought would look great as a complete model next to your other ships.

The current sinking effect is great anyhow, thanks for the explanation. :classic:

Edited by Skipper

Wow. That is pretty amazing in my opinion. I LOVE the waterfall SO much!!!! If you could maybe show me how it works I'd like to make a separate MOC of a jungle waterfall like that.