Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest Masters' Lounge

Thoughts?

I partly agree with Sandy, why not just make a Quest for level ones? Any quest could be easily adjusted to suit a certain level group, all you have to do is change the health and power of enemies. Everyone has to start somewhere - designing a quest specifically for leveling up defeats the purpose (and the excitement) of an RPG, IMO. Leveling up would lose its reward.

So, I hope you reconsider. I would like to see a quest for first-timers, it would be a shame if all of the quests became tailored to experienced ones. :wink:

I have been formulating a training quest, where level 1 heroes in a group of six can go and fight some monsters, the stalwarts of training levels like rats and bats plus a few that I made up for fun with my little brother.

Drops would be minimal but enough gold or weapons can be accumalted to get at least an upgrade.

Thoughts?

Everyone has to start somewhere - designing a quest specifically for leveling up defeats the purpose (and the excitement) of an RPG, IMO. Leveling up would lose its reward.

So, I hope you reconsider. I would like to see a quest for first-timers, it would be a shame if all of the quests became tailored to experienced ones. default_blink.gif

I would be keen to see quests aimed at new people, to encourage them into the game.

A quick training quest would be useful, people wouldn't feel like they join then wait ages for a quest slot.

But I wonder if it just defers the problem.

If the quest levels characters but is light on other rewards it might lead to a group of (relativly) under equipped warriors.

Which is just the same problem you're trying to address in a different area.

Look at the first 3 quests, not only did players gain 5 levels (6 for the warehouse!) but each gained between 200 and 350 gold worth of drops and quest rewards.

That kind of gold buys some shiny new equipment.

I expect that when quests 4 and 7 finish, the heroes there will be even better rewarded.

Perhaps all you're suggesting is a quest that doesn't contribute (much) to the world-building mythos arc going on in other quests. If that's so, bring it on, there's nothing wrong with beginner heroes doing some grunt work.

Edited by Chromeknight

I lean toward the integration of more fleshed out quests, even if they are slightly scaled down. Something more akin to Quest 6 but for a party of 6. Part of this comes down to QM's buckling down and running quests for the less experienced, personally I enjoy running intro quests the hard part is finding a balanced group since your pool of participants isn't as large as if you included the higher ups. But overall this is a necessity of the game, we're going to have level 1's and level 50's at some point and it can't be avoided, so we QM's should make it so both can participate, even if that means holding off on the epic battle against the level 30 undead demon dragon for the time being. That all being said, keep up the good work QM's. :thumbup:

Not a strictly quest-related question, but can player-made shops (like the ones in Waterbrick's quest) be suggested to Marketplace shops? I mean, those items are unlikely to pop up again. Also, could they be suggested/added without a Quest to accompany them? Just curious. Probably wouldn't have any rare items or anything, but just a wider array of items.

Not a strictly quest-related question, but can player-made shops (like the ones in Waterbrick's quest) be suggested to Marketplace shops? I mean, those items are unlikely to pop up again. Also, could they be suggested/added without a Quest to accompany them? Just curious. Probably wouldn't have any rare items or anything, but just a wider array of items.

Of course some of the items sold at the quests can be put on sale to the Marketplace - that was already done with the Mead, the Smelling Salts and the Nostrum, after all. :wink: Not all the items, however, there has to be some exclusive content in this game as well, in my opinion. After all, I don't want all the heroes walking around with Loaded Dice. :tongue:

Do you have any specific suggestions?

After all, I don't want all the heroes walking around with Loaded Dice. :tongue:

Dammit, I really need one of those! :tongue:

Dammit, I really need one of those! :tongue:

One wouldn't be enough for you, maybe with four loaded dice you'd hit something occasionally :tongue:

Well, I was thinking sometimes of having a shop akin to the Witch Cart; it comes by every so often with uncommon items. And no, nothing specific yet, but I might think of some stuff.

As for the Lucky Dice, that's easily the most powerful item in the game so far. I'd buy it for 2,000 coins. :laugh: But I doubt it'd be sold.

Hehe you could buy 100 Nostrum for that price and use one before/after every battle. Good for 100 battles, bout the same thing as a permanent item pretty much. :-D

Keep it up with the exclusive goodies, QMs! :thumbup: I like creating the items but I need to create more quests to sprinkle them throughout.

I've got an idea for a really interesting quest, but I don't have the bricks, diorama-building capasity or the die to pull it off. Is it possible I could do a joint-quest with someone?

I've got an idea for a really interesting quest, but I don't have the bricks, diorama-building capasity or the die to pull it off. Is it possible I could do a joint-quest with someone?

I'd be willing. PM what you have in mind.

I learned a lot about being a Quest master, and plan to host again in... January (once all my college stuff is done!!). But, I'd like to hear back from my players! Tell me what you thought of the quest. I know next time to do better sets and not take characters out, but what else can I improve? And what did you like? I want to know. Also, thank you all for playing with me. (I hope you don't mind if I turn this into a critique thread for a day or two, Sandy.)

I enjoyed the quest... for the part I played in it. I thought the battles were balanced nicely, and the puzzles, although challenging for me, were a nice touch. I think you mentioned earlier that you've learned to not take players out of a quest--good call. I didn't sign up to not be able to play, though I understand it was for story purposes.

My other complaint would have to be the lack of loot. I'm watching the other quests and seeing all of the awesome items being handed out and here's old Hybros stuck in a cell. :tongue: Though thanks for throwing us a bone by letting us keep the weapons.

Oh, and one last piece of criticism: I would've liked to see more pictures. They would definitely add to your quest, tenfold.

On the positive side, I really liked the character of Lady Wren (even if Hybros didn't :tongue: ). Evil, yet fair at the same time, in her own way. I hope you continue to develop her and maybe we'll even get to see her in the flesh plastic. :wink:

Overall, I did enjoy it, and I know it's hard to plan a quest. Hope to see another.

Just a few comments, Zepher. I really enjoyed the quest. It was fun to roleplay the trapped aspect of it and see what all the characters would do in that situation. Your characters were great and I look forward to seeing Wren in a future quest (So Cronk can bash her. :tongue: )

I'm really glad you gave me the private side quest after I was left behind. It was fun, though I wish I could've had another PC there to talk things through with. Felton and Hans were good fighters but not great conversationalists. I do wish there would have been more closure for the NPCs with us. Where'd they go? I had a lot of trouble getting Mr. Cleric out of there, and I don't even know where he went (or even what his name was).

Was it just me or was my boss fight harder than theirs? My chaos beast hit the party for 5 with his special instead of Draco's 1. Yes, it's health was a lot lower but if I hadn't gotten lucky that last round, Felton and Hans could have both been taken out in one fell swoop with that special. It did turn out okay in the end, though, and I'm glad to have fought it. It was an epic battle that I'm not likely to forget.

Only other thing is there could have been more loot to find as we were wandering around that dungeon.

I have a Halloween Quest That is almost done.

So I guess I post the name and stuff here? I'm not done, It will probably be done the day after tomorrow or something, anyways.

Quest ##: Haunted Houses

Quest Master: Bricksandparts

Assignment: “A vampire has been terrorizing our village, This has happened past years, But it appears our warrior went missing. We have turned to Heroica to help us. We are hiring 3 Heroes to save our village from this vampire. If you can bring back our warrior, Alive and well, We will be more than glad to give each hero An extra 100 gold.” - Jen Hobs- village elder

Reward: 600 gold, a lucky die, and 2 elemental gems to split between the group.

Sign-ups will close on (Date)

I enjoyed the quest... for the part I played in it. I thought the battles were balanced nicely, and the puzzles, although challenging for me, were a nice touch. I think you mentioned earlier that you've learned to not take players out of a quest--good call. I didn't sign up to not be able to play, though I understand it was for story purposes.

This would be my complaint too. It wasn't fun seeing people in this Quest (and others) get to play, whilst I was stuck in a cell. If this is necessary for your (or for that matter, anybodies) future quests to take one person out of the game, give them something to do whilst you're doing it, like you gave Cornelius. It would've made the month I and Fred Fred Burger spent doing nothing more interesting.

For the part I did play, I had a good time. The Quest's story was good, and it was... interesting to have to fight another player. I look forward to seeing how the characters play out in the future Quests, and especially seeing what part Zoot has to play in all of this!

Lastly, I hoped I lived up to your expectations of me when you put me in this Quest.

Oh, and one last piece of criticism: I would've liked to see more pictures. They would definitely add to your quest, tenfold.

I explained my computer with the pictures crashed, permanently actually, so I lost them all. I retook a few of them and added them back in actually, you can go back and find a few more, and Wren is in a number of them!

I do wish there would have been more closure for the NPCs with us. Where'd they go? I had a lot of trouble getting Mr. Cleric out of there, and I don't even know where he went (or even what his name was).

ALL NPCs will return in future Wren Quests :classic: .

This would be my complaint too. It wasn't fun seeing people in this Quest (and others) get to play, whilst I was stuck in a cell. If this is necessary for your (or for that matter, anybodies) future quests to take one person out of the game, give them something to do whilst you're doing it, like you gave Cornelius. It would've made the month I and Fred Fred Burger spent doing nothing more interesting.

Yes, that was one of the things I tested at the end of the quest, a side quest. I will CERTAINLY be using it next time, it ended up working out well.

Other than leaving PCs behind, which I, as a fellow QM, can definitely say is no fun for anyone, I think the Quest was fun, Zepher. The anagrams were a great addition.

I explained my computer with the pictures crashed, permanently actually, so I lost them all. I retook a few of them and added them back in actually, you can go back and find a few more, and Wren is in a number of them!

Oh, I missed that somehow. Sorry. :blush: And yes, Lady Wren... put a face to Hybros' grudge. :tongue:

I've refined my plague quest, do I pitch it here?

You should PM Sandy. That's what I did, since I wanted to discuss some of the finer points of the Quest.

Thanks for hosting a quest, Zepher! I'm glad you have the ability to see the strengths as well as the shortcomings in your quest, and I'm sure your next quest will be much more refined. :wink:

I'm really glad you gave me the private side quest after I was left behind. It was fun, though I wish I could've had another PC there to talk things through with. Felton and Hans were good fighters but not great conversationalists. I do wish there would have been more closure for the NPCs with us. Where'd they go? I had a lot of trouble getting Mr. Cleric out of there, and I don't even know where he went (or even what his name was).

What?! A private side quest? It sounds great, but I had no idea you were on one. How was it arranged, through PMs?

I've refined my plague quest, do I pitch it here?

You can either put it in here or send a PM my way. :wink:

Quest ##: Haunted Houses

Quest Master: Bricksandparts

Assignment: “A vampire has been terrorizing our village, This has happened past years, But it appears our warrior went missing. We have turned to Heroica to help us. We are hiring 3 Heroes to save our village from this vampire. If you can bring back our warrior, Alive and well, We will be more than glad to give each hero An extra 100 gold.” - Jen Hobs- village elder

Reward: 600 gold, a lucky die, and 2 elemental gems to split between the group.

Sign-ups will close on (Date)

I'm sorry to say that I don't think you have it in you to host a quest just yet, based on what I saw during the quest you played. Just focus on playing the game and having fun with it, okay? :wink:

Quest Pitch!!!

Quest XX: Plague of Horrors

QM: VP

Assignment: A terrible plague has spread across our lands, killing villagers and livestock. We need 5 experienced heroes to travel to the far land of XXXXX to help us. If you succeed in stopping the plague and curing those infected, we will give you much gold and treasured possessions.

Party Requirements: Party of 5, no level limit for heroes though this is recommended for level 5 heroes and up. Party needs at least 1 Ranger and a Cleric, no Barbarians.

Reward: 1000 Gold to split between you and an elemental gem of each party member's choosing and there will be extra gold if you cure more infected villagers.

Signups close by XXX

Edited by volcanicpanik

Quest Pitch!!!

Quest XX: Plague of Horrors

QM: VP

Assignment: A terrible plague has spread across our lands, killing villagers, livestock and our crops. We need 5 experienced heroes to help us. We have suspicions that the plague is caused by the Wolfpack, if you succeed in stopping the plague and curing those infected. We will shower ye with gold and treasured possessions.

Party Requirements: Party of 5, no level limit, though recommended for level 5 and up. Needs at least 1 Ranger and a Cleric, no Barbarians.

Reward: 1000 Gold to split between you, 5 Hazmat Hats and improved reputation with the Town Watch/Town + more rewards if you cure more infected villagers.

Signups close by XXX

So, there's a plague in Eubric now? :wacko: And is this Wolfpack supposed to be different from the Wolfgang? And there are many grammatical mistakes in there...

Sorry, but this quest pitch still needs work. It would work better if the plague was raging some other place rather than Eubric.