Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest Masters' Lounge

We don't know the level of our foes

I think it's kind of brilliant, though it is being used a little much. Enemy level that scales to the level of the attacker...great solution to the "level gap" issue. :thumbup:

I think it's kind of brilliant, though it is being used a little much.

That's exactly what I meant! I don't want to seem I'm bashing Endgame. :blush:

Endgame, I like the strategy we have to put into this, and the specials are good. The only thing I'd request would to make it less complicated. I personally feel the WoT enemies are just an eyesore. They're good everyonce in a while, (like a boss fight,) :classic: but not good for every normal battle. I'd say the current battle is just a tad too complicated. :blush: For example:

.We don't know the level of our foes

. All the enemies have SP

. They're specials are kind of complicated, and there's multiple of them, a lot of passives and Notes

. When they die, we have to kill its nucleus, which brings mire enemies with all the same problems and special conditions.

Don't take it the wrong way, it's just my personal opinion. :wink:

Yeah, the whole "level ??" (it's Attacker's level + 1/2, depending whether you're targeting an iron or normal oozeling :blush:) will be done away with soon enough, a.k.a. when the level gap closes. SP? You mean you don't want to ake advantage of your awesome sowrd? :tongue:

Whoo, one of my enemies is finally posing a significant threat to the party! :sweet::devil:

I think it's kind of brilliant, though it is being used a little much. Enemy level that scales to the level of the attacker...great solution to the "level gap" issue. :thumbup:

Yeah, after Lycan reaches about the level Galen started, it'll probably become uncommon... then simply disappear entirely. I was struggling with sign-ups, and I needed heroes ASAP - unfortunately, it meant taking players with almost a 10 level gap, but it has been working out.

Whoo, one of my enemies is finally posing a significant threat to the party! :sweet::devil:

To MOST of the party. Arthur's in his element, just like he was against the final phase of the Splinter. Suicidal maniac. :tongue:

Odd Question to QMs: when rolling for Assassination against enemies that are immune to Assassination (particularly where Gold Reaper is involved), do you actually roll for a result and then ignore it because the enemy is immune, or do you "skip" the Assassination roll for immune enemies and only roll for enemies that CAN be assassinated?

I roll for it (at least, when I'm not rushing to autoplay since it won't matter anyway :blush: ). I think De'kra actually would've Assassinated the Automaton on round 2 or so...

I roll for it (at least, when I'm not rushing to autoplay since it won't matter anyway :blush: ). I think De'kra actually would've Assassinated the Automaton on round 2 or so...

So in other words, you rolled the 1 out of the die for that round. :hmpf_bad::tongue:

In all honesty, as a QM I don't think I'd bother, for just that reason.

I'm not a supersiticous person, but when it comes to the dice?

You gotta roll it man.

You gottta. :enough:

For some I find it even more brilliant when a QM can make a balanced group of enemies against an unbalanced group of heroes, using just the regular stats. Maybe I'm just a purist in general. :look:

I have to say though, that Endgame's idea of using a hero's power against them is pretty brilliant though. :thumbup:

I do think that the specials should make sense for the enemy with them though. I'm sure they always make perfect sense in the QM's mind, but sometimes to others they can seem a bit *huh*

I guess I didn't receive the PMs, so I don't understand what the Oozelings are all about, but what kind of creatures are they? What makes them have SP? What makes them to cause SP to decay and what makes them mirror the strength of their attackers? I'm sure to Endgame all these things are very clear, but I'm always interested in these things.

As far as the strength of the enemy matching the stats, I would say that if heroes are being attacked by vermin like rats, there shouldn't be insanely strong rats (unless they are that way magically :wacko: ), but instead you have an incredible multitude of rats with varying strength, but none too exorbitantly strong.

All that to say though, I think you're a brilliant QM, Endgame. Voracious Vault was a fantastic quest to go on. I think I especially liked the speed we did it in. I loved the party as well! :wub:

The battle started up with the party finding a piece of Mythril in the Grotto. Lycan grabbed it, but as soon as he laid his hands on it, an oozeling came, scooped it up for himself, and ate it. Yes, that was a bit rotten on my part. :tongue: Then the Oozeling who dissolved the Mythril called in two mooks and, well, there you go. They eat through SP and Gold because they can dissolve and eat pretty much any mineral or material of their choosing.

And the iron Oozeling has SP because he is iron. :tongue:

The level matching thing is really for no reason, just a balancing mechanism.

Also, I don't think any type of beast should be inherently weak. Just because they are vermin doesn't mean they can't be tough!

And no, guys, keep the criticism coming if you have any! It only helps me improve, and thus, the quest improve, after all. :sweet:

Edited by Endgame

I like the battles so far in quest 48. They are challenging and complicated like the battles in quest 35, which I liked a lot too. It is more satisfying to win challenging and complicated battles than easy battles.

As I've said, I'm planning a quest this month, mostly for the newer people. The idea is still developing, but here's a teaser.

teaser.jpg

:grin:

Sorry for double post, editing wont work.

Edited by Capt.JohnPaul

The battle started up with the party finding a piece of Mythril in the Grotto. Lycan grabbed it, but as soon as he laid his hands on it, an oozeling came, scooped it up for himself, and ate it.

Darn it! You stole my idea out of thin air. :angry:

:tongue:

Figured I'd put up another teaser shot for the trilogy in progress. These longer plots are definitely more time consuming, I do not envy you Zepher.

7941391928_390b8478c2.jpg

These teasers are awesome. :thumbup: But what the heck is that lady? :look:

CMP! I have been meaning to get back to you on your quest, because everyone deserves feedback, so here it goes!

Characters were lovely and fleshed out and a lot of fun. I wish I had the pieces for some of them, because they'd be a lot of fun to have around. The sets were nice and clean and simple, but still communicated the scene. They remind me a bit of Rumble Strike's original sets, though his have gotten more complex (loving your sets this quest, RS).

Flipz raved about, and I agree, the immunity to specific scrolls and effects as opposed to overall immunity to scrolls and effects works very well and adds more strategy than before. I have morphed a number of enemies accordingly. :thumbup:

Finally, your drops were inventive and fun... but I think there may have been too many awesome ones. Its a critique I give out often, but too many unique drops (particularly artifacts) just isn't fun for me. I'm afraid soon every class will be able to deal every effect with every hit. Don't be afraid of consumables and GOLD. And the heroes got a friggin' free drop in that scarf. Why'd that happen?! WAY too nice. That being said, your drops WERE very cool, and I really enjoyed them, AND you pulled a Doc by making them extremely appropriate to the thing/person dropping them.

Kudos on an awesome quest.

WBD, it looks as good as ever! Long form story is challenging as all hell. The worst is when you have plot points that are done by QMs before you reach them. Just wait for my final quest in the Guffington/Russel/Wren story. THAT will be truly epic. :sweet:

Edited by Zepher

Thanks. I've been putting off a self and player critique for a while. And still sort of am. :blush:

I'm glad you liked the characters, they will be showing up more often, hopefully. And I'm also glad the effect immunities weren't too much.

Finally, your drops were inventive and fun... but I think there may have been too many awesome ones. Its a critique I give out often, but too many unique drops (particularly artifacts) just isn't fun for me. I'm afraid soon every class will be able to deal every effect with every hit. Don't be afraid of consumables and GOLD. And the heroes got a friggin' free drop in that scarf. Why'd that happen?! WAY too nice. That being said, your drops WERE very cool, and I really enjoyed them, AND you pulled a Doc by making them extremely appropriate to the thing/person dropping them.

I think you've got a point there, and it's definitely something I'll take into account next time. The boss fight and the following loot were actually based on what the players did while on board the ship.

For example, had Thalion not spoken to Illdria or Melvin, they would've sided along with the automaton, and fought against the heroes. Had Arthur not made conversation with Knife-Tongue, he would've given the Scarf to Filmore (who would then use it on the automaton). The reason Jules fought against the heroes is possibly because I didn't describe him in enough depth, the intent was for the heroes to ask why he was so maimed, which brought him to explain he couldn't be healed clerically. If they offered to use consumables on him, he would've fought for them. I think I mentioned a while ago in the R&D giving out rewards for player interaction with NPCs, this was the main example. If they gave the harbormaster more drinks, he would've given them the Shipping Logs and a Battle Song as well. (He would've dropped a Whiskey if they fought him, but the heroes really cheap shot that bit, so they got nothing. :tongue:)

Edited by CallMePie

These teasers are awesome. :thumbup: But what the heck is that lady? :look:

It's a fungoid of course :laugh: , here's another one:

8168669114_67dbc5bc37.jpg

Fungoids are one of the three original sentient races inhabiting the underground along with the Goblins and Fledermaun before the Dwarves moved in.

I also wanted to comment on your quest Pie, it was really enjoyable to watch and it was a case of great players paired with a great QM. The battles were good and I agree that the inclusion of partial effect immunities is an excellent idea. I don't blame you about the drops, since you probably didn't intend for the players to obtain every single one of them. I actually thinks it's a good strategy even though it risks the Party missing all of the drops or obtaining all of them. The NPC's were memorable and I look forward to seeing some of them soon. The plot and mystery were well contained and kept the party going in the right direction which can be hard to do without resorting to railroading. Overall you did an excellent job for your first outing as a QM and I can't wait to see what you'll deliver next. :thumbup:

Edited by Waterbrick Down

I need more part. Fungoids... I'm sure Guffington would love one of those. :laugh:

When is that embassy going up, WBD? :look::grin:

I need more part. Fungoids... I'm sure Guffington would love one of those. :laugh:

When is that embassy going up, WBD? :look::grin:

The MOC's already done for it, Scorpiox is just waiting on a few more bio's from certain individuals who will remain unmentioned. :tongue:

...is it me? If its me... you should probably tell him to PM me again, as I've never received anything in that regard. :look: Or I've totally forgotten...

...is it me? If its me... you should probably tell him to PM me again, as I've never received anything in that regard. :look: Or I've totally forgotten...

No, I don't think so. I'm afraid that some powerful individuals haven't written the basics for me yet. We'll be good to go in a few days.

Thanks for the kind words about my sets, Zeph. I was very pleased with how the kitchen turned out. Such a shame the heroes had to trash it!

WBD, lovely teaser pics, sounds like it should be a very interesting quest as per usual!