Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest Masters' Lounge

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the side quest. You two were the first "Friends of Dragons". I was surprised at how well a level 19 Paladin worked with a Level 7 Rogue in that battle. Although Galen got knocked out once, he held his own.

Yes, how could I forget to mention it! :blush: It's already been months though, so blame my poor memory! :laugh: That side-quest was great fun, I enjoyed playing alongside Cronk especially since we were (and are) so different in terms of character advancement. And knowing that the success of the overall mission depended on us two fulfilling our objective really made the side-quest feel real and important, despite it happening in private quarters. :thumbup:

Can't we just get Cronk a puppy instead?

Hmm. Cronk would look funny jousting on puppy... And Cronk would never be cruel to Cronk's puppy.

But if QMs are giving away puppies, Cornk will sign up for puppy. :excited:

Isn't Xander keen on selling his horse? :sceptic:

I don't think Cronk could manage with both a horse and a puppy. :look:

About Quest 39: It was a very good quest, I think!

The length and the battles were the best thing I think, and the story was interesting and the setting something completely different than anything we have seen. I also liked you did the mist on the pictures, someone needs to teach me that sometime :wink:.

A few questions: Did the latin from the names from the third battle mean anything?

What really was the point behind the fourth battle? I did not get it. :blush:

Do you have the stats for the enemies we did not pick for the arena battle? I'm interested.

Was this ending the intended one? What would have happened if we screwed it up?

Agreed, well done, Zepher. I wish there was a little more decision-making, but other than that I really enjoyed it. The surrealism was excellent, and it presented some really great themes with the battles and such.

I guess my only complaint is that the ending felt a bit rushed, but that's understandable with you going off to college and such, wanting to finish it.

A few questions: Did the latin from the names from the third battle mean anything?

They were all psychology terms. Id and Ego are parts of your conscious, while Sig was short for Sigmund Freud. Uma and Gotti are unknown to me, but I'm sure they have some relation too.

They were all psychology terms. Id and Ego are parts of your conscious, while Sig was short for Sigmund Freud. Uma and Gotti are unknown to me, but I'm sure they have some relation too.

I recognized Uma, which means shadow. :shrug_oh_well:

I agree, I really liked this quest, Zeph. There was a good amount of railroading, but I think that might have been necessary because of the storyline; we knew nothing of what Guffington had done in his life or might try to do in his dream, so I don't think we'd have known where to start if we weren't whisked from one encounter to another.

Also, Hybros and Guts were awesome in battle.

Also, Hybros and Guts were awesome in battle.

So was Docken! I think all three of us made a great team battle-wise. Hybros' assassinations, Guts' offense, and Docken's defense made us pretty unstoppable.

So was Docken! I think all three of us made a great team battle-wise. Hybros' assassinations, Guts' offense, and Docken's defense made us pretty unstoppable.

Yeah, Docken and Hybros are beasts! Guts... not so much, until the last battle :laugh:

What really was the point behind the fourth battle? I did not get it. :blush:

Do you have the stats for the enemies we did not pick for the arena battle? I'm interested.

Was this ending the intended one? What would have happened if we screwed it up?

I'll try to address all the questions!

Not a question, but I'm glad you enjoyed the battle. One of my three goals with this quest was to create interesting and unique battles without changing the mechanics of the game nearly at all.

Id and Ego are what Hybros said they were. Sig is Sigmund Freud, Gotti is short for Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, and Uma is taken from Uma Thurman, who for whatever reason flew into my head while I was making the quest.

All the battles had to do with why Guffington wanted to stay in the alternate reality. I was originally going to explain all the battles here, but I think it's more fun if I don't. The fourth battle was also supposed to be more challenging... though with a Raider and Assassin, it turned out not to be.

Rogue

Level 17

Health: 657/657

Special: Mug – Deals 28 damage to the hero and takes gold from them equal to their level times 2.

Drops: Glass Dagger

Ranger

Level 27

Health: 930/930

Special: Triple Shot – Hits all the heroes for 29 damage, regardless of row.

Drops: Quiver of Poisoning

Knight

Level 19

Health: 520/520

SP: 4

Special: Sentinel – Protects all allies from damage the following round.

Drops: Frozen Sabre

Mage

Level 28

Health: 1016/1016

Ether: 4/4

Special I: Magic Burst – Stuns all heroes in the same row as the hero targeting the Mage, and deals 30 damage of darkness energy to all heroes. Uses one ether.

Special II: Meditate – Regains two ether. Used if no ether is left.

Drops: Scroll of Blindness

Cleric

Level 26

Health: 878/878

Ether: 4/4

Special I: Miracle – Heals all his allies for 100 health.

Special II: Meditate – Regains two ether. Used if no ether is left.

Drops: Healing Staff

Barbarian

Level 28

Health: 864/864

Special: Frenzy -

Drops: Twin Axe - WP: 5, damages two enemies in one hit, suitable for barbarians

This was the intended ending. One of the characters was supposed to dance for Guffington. If you didn't, and didn't think of anything else super creative, the quest would have been failed, just as if you had failed a battle.

Agreed, well done, Zepher. I wish there was a little more decision-making, but other than that I really enjoyed it. The surrealism was excellent, and it presented some really great themes with the battles and such.

I guess my only complaint is that the ending felt a bit rushed, but that's understandable with you going off to college and such, wanting to finish it.

I will address your first critique under BD's comment.

I realized about half way through the final battle that the ending would feel rushed. I feel this is the first quest to end with a "puzzle" instead of a "boss battle". The reasoning behind this was that story-wise there was no logical purpose for a boss battle. There was no "boss" enemy in Guffington's alternate consciousness. I can see why that made it seem anti-climactic though. I also intended that final battle to be tougher...

I agree, I really liked this quest, Zeph. There was a good amount of railroading, but I think that might have been necessary because of the storyline; we knew nothing of what Guffington had done in his life or might try to do in his dream, so I don't think we'd have known where to start if we weren't whisked from one encounter to another.

One of the other intents I had while designing this quest was poking fun at my own style of heavy rail-roading. This quest was literally 100% rail-roaded. Face challenge, beat challenge, divide loot, next challenge. It was supposed to be a bit of an "in-joke". :tongue:

I was expecting a giant parasite made out of the powder that Guffington was knocked out with. :blush: You can probbaly tell by now my imagination is hyper-active. :tongue:

I loved Guffington, Zepher. Gotta learn how to do fog one of these days... :wub:

Edited by Endgame

Wow, I managed to pick three of the four harder enemies for my choice of enemies in the Arena. :laugh:

I also liked you did the mist on the pictures, someone needs to teach me that sometime :wink:.

Gotta learn how to do fog one of these days... :wub:

In Photoshop, just render black and white clouds in a new layer and change the blending style of the layer to Screen. Repeat with more layers until the mist/fog is thick enough, and use layer masks to reveal whatever you want to be seen clearly. I'm not sure how it's done in GIMP or Paint.NET.

In Photoshop, just render black and white clouds in a new layer and change the blending style of the layer to Screen. Repeat with more layers until the mist/fog is thick enough, and use layer masks to reveal whatever you want to be seen clearly. I'm not sure how it's done in GIMP or Paint.NET.

I'll be honest mate, you lost me at render. :wink:

Paint.net is my weapon of choice. :blush: Thank the gods for google. :laugh:

LOL. :laugh: The blending style is that drop down by the layers panel. It says "normal." But if you open it, it has screen , multiply, color dodge, etc. :wink:

It's the name of the sub-menu. Filter > Render > Clouds.

Back in my day, we just edited photos pixel by pixel, and by gum we liked it! :tongue:

...Although I am undobutedly younger then most of you. :blush:

They lost me at "Photoshop!" :laugh:

Okay, Q46 has had me torn. I have no clue whether my balance was off or whether the dice rolls just killed them off near the end. The other enemies would be:

-Thunder Golem

-Geloctopus

-Sandworm

-Sir Slush

-Ivory Paladin

The Ivory Paladin would've taken Alex on a 1v1. That is why I hinted not to pick him round 4: There'd be as many heroes as enemies, but Alex would also be isolated.

For the final round, Dini would throw his wands into the portal. When you entered, they'd morph into two giant hands: The Hands of Fate.

Honestly, I think the balance may have been off, combined with bad dice. The enemies had way too much health for only 3 players, despite the fact that one was a Hunter. Look at Quest 33. It's the closest comparable Quest, and the difference between your enemies and its was massive.

Edited by CallMePie

Honestly, I think the balance may have been off, combined with bad dice. The enemies had way too much health for only 3 players, despite the fact that one was a Hunter.

I judged it on the total amount of health from the Fantome and the Odzaph battle, mostly. :blush:

Did you know that you could've reposted the quest pitch for another try, Endgame? Now it's too late...

Okay, Q46 has had me torn. I have no clue whether my balance was off or whether the dice rolls just killed them off near the end. The other enemies would be:

Having read through the whole thing, I don't know what to think. For what was essentially just two two enemy battles, I was surprised at the difficulty that the heroes faced. There have been very many tough battles in quests accross Heroica, but I'm not so sure that I'm keen on setting the first fights as nearly unwinabble as they were. I like to see a challenge now and then, but maybe the balance was a little unfair for the heroes in a few places. The two battles in themselves were something that I'd expect to see far later in an escapade, certainly so if battles were all that the heroes were going to be doing.

For a start, what was with the no-flee rule? I think that you made a quite unbalanced rule there, as you allowed the party to instantly fail the whole quest on the second battle, even though the rules state that they should have been allowed to retreat and heal themselves. Also, perhaps Dini could have been so kind to have given the fallen heroes at least something to compensate them, I know that I would feel irritated having spent weeks on a battle-only quest, just to fail, and only have something so meager as half a level of experiance for my troubles. :sceptic:

I don't mean to bash you at all, Endgame, but it seems such as shame for a nice quest to end so very suddenly, when things could have been done to give them more of a chance.

Did you know that you could've reposted the quest pitch for another try, Endgame? Now it's too late...

... :wall:

I've been juggling the Idiot Ball for a while, haven't I? :blush: I'm not sure if I'd want to host something like it again, anyway. It was definately fun, but I find that something like the Voracious Vault where there is constant NPC interaction, puzzle solving, etc. is a more interesting hosting duty.

The "no fleeing" policy was adopted for the sake of coherence - they wouldn't have nowhere to run to. I was testing the waters with the Shambler battle - it was simply took a long time, there was very few panic points. Because of this, Battle 2 had a very little HP increase, a big SP drop, and were made stronger overall.

Edited by Endgame