Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest Masters' Lounge

Those are the only questions I have at the moment. Sorry in advance for the text wall and the annoying questions, but I really want to contribute to this RPG like a lot of others have before me, and I'm (as I said) really motivated right now.

Thanks in advance to those who answer my questions! Also thanks for being cool enough for me to (finally) get really invested in this after a year. Took me long enough.

First let me say that there really isn't a wrong way to run a quest, there are definitely bad ways to run a quest, but definitely not wrong ways. As QM's we all have a particular style and a particular bias, so you should know that going in and take everything with a grain of salt. Now onto your points:

1. First off you need to explain "linear" because that will mean different things to different people, the same with "freedom". I'm going to assume by "linear" you mean that a Party must move from point A to point B to point C and end up at your last point, point D. There is a clear goal or objective from the onset and that goal determines the parties success or failure. For Heroica RPG, linear storytelling is generally a good place to start, because of the timing of replying to posts, free-form quests or ones with multiple goals, tend to get muddied or confusing and the players can't keep track of what's going on or what is actually important. For your first few quests, I'd definitely suggest a linear story. Linear is not necessarily bad, the trouble is when people stick to a linear story at the cost of slapping their players on the wrist when they change courses. If your story is so linear that it cannot accommodate the effect of actual players playing characters, then you need to stick to writing novels and not hosting RPG's.

2. "Freedom" is another one of those words that needs defining. I'm going to assume by "freedom" you mean player "choice" or "agency" i.e. the ability for players to have a meaningful impact on the story they are in. Now in a real-time RPG you can adapt your story for unlimited freedom, but in Heroica RPG is nigh impossible to offer absolute freedom, due to the nature of our medium. People spend time constructing sets and when a party decides to go off in a whole different direction and skip all the sets, NPC's, and monsters you spent hours building and photographing, then it is incredibly frustrating. So all that being said try to offer "freedom" in doses, but when you offer it make sure you really offer it. Too often QM's offer "choice" that is masked "rail-roading" (another term that we could spend hours defining) and isn't fair to the players. Just because you can get away with it, doesn't mean you should do it. As Chromeknight said concerning the map, if the order of locations doesn't matter, then why include it? You're not offering "freedom", you're offering the appearance of "freedom."

3. Balance is the key, but it takes multiple quests to figure out how to do this well and it comes more with experience than a list of do's and don'ts. Aim for the more linear when starting out QMing, it's a bit easier and has less potential to lead to discouragement or QM burnout. Also it should be noted, some players prefer "linear" quests and some players prefer "freedom" quests, so in the end you're probably going to make someone unhappy anyways. :shrug_oh_well:

4. I'm going against the grain and saying that we need more "failed" battles in Heroica. Yes it is frustrating, yes it is annoying, yes it does burn resources, but this is exactly why rogues and items grant the "fleeing" power. Now, all battles should be winnable, but there are some where the heroes should recognize they're out-gunned for the time-being and should beat a hasty retreat and come back better prepared. Now these sorts of situations should never be thrown in at random and should always be there for a reason, mind you. Use this idea with caution, but don't avoid it entirely.

5. Hidden specials, on the other hand, should be avoided, unless there is an absolutely good reason to have them and then they should always be foreshadowed or hinted at. They are not fair to the players and are simply an excuse for a QM to feed their ego. Also never ever, unless you have your player's consent, change stats midbattle because you made a mistake or didn't think of something, at that point you are telling the players that your story and your creation is more important than the people you are playing with.

6. You'll discover this when you start QMing, small groups of enemies are incredibly hard to balance for advanced parties. The math just isn't in enemies favor, once you hit parties above level 15. Your enemies only hurt the party 1/3 of the time and most often they fail to do that because the Party is so pumped up on positive effects. The solution: Free Hits. Multiple enemies make Parties strategize and are generally a guarantee that your enemies will be able to do a little damage. As for the gauntlet idea, most players get tired of an endless stream of enemies without much story, hence why the fields were created to relieve some of that tension for players who do enjoy the grind of endless battle. I'd shy away from it, but if you get the right players and you an keep things interesting you might be able to pull it off.

7. Too many for one quest. I try to stick to 3-4 and that's about it. After that you can't give each NPC enough screen time to fully flesh them out without seriously hogging the spotlight away from the party members. The trick is to introduce new NPC's with established old ones, a little at a time, eventually you'll have that full cast of 14 well developed NPC's. Also, look for opportunity to use NPC's from other quests, it definitely lends itself to adding continuity to the world and most of us QM's are more than happy to see our NPC's used in other quests.

8. Try to stay away from making anything a hard set requirement for success, otherwise you start taking away from "freedom" and moving towards "you must do it this way, so that my work at putting this quest together is validated." It's an interesting idea, but not one I'd use heavily.

9. Personally it's not my kind of quests, but again each player has their unique set of things they enjoy. The quest itself, from my understanding, is a big undertaking and I'd suggest you scale back a little bit.

10. Experience plays a little into it, but again I think the concept (for anybody) is perhaps a little to big at this moment.

11. I'm building for you right now, so I think that answers that question, though I don't want to commit to the project at just this moment.

I can't speak from experience to any of your questions, but I can imagine this one well enough:

5. Are Hidden Specials/Weakness Specials cool as far as enemies go? A discoverable weakness that can be "read in a book(so to speak)" or discovered while in battle? Or is a Hidden Special that is akin to a "special move?" that requires certain circumstances to fulfill cool?

No.

Just a quick question:

I've been penning a small quest of my own for submission, someday, and I was wondering about side-quests. The main quest is pretty A -> B linear, and the environment itself takes care of any issues with "rail-roading."

I came up with an idea for a very small side-quest - just off the main quest, and fairly simple and straight-out. The only reason I'm asking if I should keep it, is because it involves getting a string of dice rolls right - rolling a die three times, and on each getting either a 4, a 5, or a 6(and if you get a 1, a 2, or a 3, you have to re-roll). The reward for winning it would be worth the little bit of extra time, and I would of course update as often as possible so it wouldn't slow the quest down, but I'm just wondering if it would distract too much from the main quest...

I don't find it distracting, but I don't like the idea. There is nothing worse than plot progression depending on a role of the die. :thumbdown: Side quests or optional objectives are fine, just make sure they have relevance to the plot. :wink:

I don't find it distracting, but I don't like the idea. There is nothing worse than plot progression depending on a role of the die. :thumbdown: Side quests or optional objectives are fine, just make sure they have relevance to the plot. :wink:

The main plot isn't dependent on it. It's a completely separate little "mini-game*"- just a chance for the party to win a little** extra gold. And it's not a "five-rolls-and-you're-out" scenario, they can keep trying as long as they feel like it.

*Mini-game's not the right word for it.

The Hero playing has to fish in a sewer with a fishing rod for a macguffin to...well, I don't want to reveal too many plot details...It's a single step process, that when done, grants the Heroes a nice little bag of holding of gold.

**I may be slightly under-exaggerating here...

Okay, that I'd approve. If it's a fun little minigame, that's fine. :thumbup: Just don't make the plot dependent on them getting a specific die roll.

I think I did something like that in Quest 51 and it was fine.

Yeah, I did it twice in 48, although both were one shot.

Since my esteemed colleagues (fellow QMs) answered and I found their responses so enjoyable, I'll also throw in my response, Em!

I'd like to start my response off exactly like WBD. There is no wrong way to make a quest, there are different ways. Anything can be done well, anything can be done poorly.

1) Every single quest I've done has been railroaded. It is a necessity of the game. You can build in options, but I (personally) can't build in an option that results in two separate quests, so the choices must be minor. That doesn't mean that things can't change. NPCs of mine have stuck around for... well, an extra week or two because the party asked them to. I did not think that the heroes of 30 would be able to save Ella in time, but they chose to and succeeded - that affected both 30's ending, and the entirety of 53. Generally, if you have multiple quests, I would say allow for Quest 1 to affect Quest 2 as opposed to Quest 1 affecting Quest 1. That way, you'll have time to plan. Characters who exist/are alive because of my player's choices include: XX, Zane, Poletad, Ella (off the top of my head). Quest 92 would never exist if the heroes hadn't made a choice in 30. XX could be dead instead of Triad if the heroes had chosen differently in 53 (or both alive or both dead). Poletad wouldn't exist if Skrall didn't pick up an set piece last minute.

But, getting back to linear - again, I think it has to be done. The trick is making it appealing, so that the characters pick it. Let's say they want to go from Point A to Point B, and the two are separated by the Deep Dark Woods. A friendly NPC tells the heroes that there is a trail head up a little ways, so the heroes go there, take the trail, and get to Point B. But see, they chose to do that. They weren't forced to do it. They don't feel shoved, they feel like they made a choice. They chose to listen to the NPC, and chose to take the path. In 102 I just told the heroes that Chauncey had a manor in R'Klif. They declared they wanted to go there. It's the difference between saying "here's some helpful information, do something with it" and saying "go here now". Create it organically, build it into the story. Get it?

2) Freedom is sort of covered above. Let characters do whatever. They will likely not be dicks about it and if you hint they should do something, they'll do it. We're all humans and friends here. If my questees know I want them to do something, they help me out and do it. But don't put them in a box. Their actions should be free. If they take the woods instead of the path, punish them with a grueling battle (they chose it, after all). They are free.

3) Again, as WBD said, balance. And it's tough.

4) Impossible battles are fine. The heroes should be able to wipe the floor with snakes by now, but they should also still be deathly afraid of trained expensive assassins. :sweet: I don't know how I feel about "impossible" (once in a blue moon is fine, I know I've done it MORE than once in my many quests) but incredibly challenging never hurt anyone. Just know the effect it will have on them.

5) Not a huge fan of hidden specials. Maybe once in a blue moon, again. Endgame has done it. He has good battles, I'm told.

6) I'm going to disagree with WBD here (for a change). I find that a medium size of medium strength enemies works very well as a challenge. CMP does it well, and Flipz has been doing a nice job too. 84 had balanced fights and the heroes were generally up against the same number of foes as there was in the party. Boss fights can be tough sometimes because with only one enemy there's only one target, and that's less strategizing and the battle changes very little round to round. I'd say 8 boss fights in a row would tire people out.

7) It depends how many memorable voices you can create.

8) Try it out. There is no wrong way to do things. We'll only know if we test stuff out.

9/10) People will go on quests. Don't be afraid.

Thank you, everyone, for your words of advice! I really appreciate the thought you guys put into your responses. :thumbup:

I'll host 109 and go back to the drawing board afterwards with some experience under my belt and your advice in mind. Again, thanks for the feedback. :classic:

B&P, Flare and Zakura,

I understand my inactivity caused a massive issue in the quest and I apologize for that. I do however echo the sentiment about the plot and the lucky die, which was nearly impossible to actually get.

As requested, the PM sections of Quest 98. I have two others that I'll work on quoting later.

The Warden

The wave of blackness came down on Em as if he'd been plunged into an ocean. Yet the shadow that drove him into the ground seemed warm...alive. The rest of the party, distracted by the Shade, failed to see some of the darkness that seeped into Em's eyes. How and why it did so was unclear, and he did not have the capability to respond physically. But it left three distinctive, yet indistinct images in the warden's head;

14044208364_5442c9e451_n.jpg14041059041_3ca8f8e430_n.jpg14021116776_200f34555e_n.jpg

The Warden and the Assassin

Hybros and Em head down the rightmost stairway. It's dark and musty, the air tasting a thousand years old. The sounds of battle quickly hit their ears. A few more steps reveals a chaotic scene.

A group of dark figures are circling a trio of smaller ones in a room that resembles a dining hall, the tables and chairs broken and laying in pieces around the room. Two of the three shorter figures are back against the wall. The third stands in front of them, nearly ankle deep in a mess of black muck, covered in open wounds.

13929094634_5f19c5fb25_t.jpg

"Vanaz, voronmacahr."

8743579072_07290aae24_t.jpg

"Deaf ears, monster."

The old, injured halfling shot a look at Hybros and Em.

"Are you going to help or not?"

8742462107_0c4dae9855_t.jpg

"Help would be nice, yes!!"

10827572614_01217dd47a_t.jpg

"Aye, that it would..."

The shade took notice of the heroes, and soon embroiled them in the fight as well.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

Enemies

Shade

Level 50 Dark Ethereal *Immune to instant kill and negative effects*

Health: 830/830

Special: Blackest Night – Shade deals 10 darkness damage 1-6 times plus the jinxed and blinded effect to each hero. The Shade then vanishes, avoiding all actions and damage for the remainder of the round.

Drops: Nothing

14073101819_aa85ea8246_t.jpg

Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse A

Level 30 Dark Undead

Health: 168/168

Defense: 5

Special: In the Moonlight – Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse deals 30 light/dark elemental damage to all heroes, and heals itself equal to the damage inflicted.

Passive Special: Legion - Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse has a 5/6 chance to avoid assassination, decreasing by 1/6 whenever one of them is killed.

Drops: Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield), 20 gold

Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse B

Level 30 Dark Undead

Special: In the Moonlight – Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse deals 30 light/dark elemental damage to all heroes, and heals itself equal to the damage inflicted.

Passive Special: Legion - Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse has a 5/6 chance to avoid assassination, decreasing by 1/6 whenever one of them is killed.

Drops: Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield), 20 gold

Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse C

Level 30 Dark Undead

Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse D

Level 30 Dark Undead

Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse E

Level 30 Dark Undead

Party

9482851885_e209b65231_t.jpg Hybros (JimButcher)*Hastened* *Immune to Cursed, Asleep, Blinded, Confused, Fragile, Weakened* *Immune to all elements* *Temporary Party Leader*

53-year-old male imp Assassin

Level: 30

Power Bonus: +1

Defense: 0

Health: 45/45

Gold: 949

Equipment: Sword of Ancestral Hatred (WP: 44.33, gains 1/4 WP every kill made with it, light-, darkness-, fire-, ice-, and wind-elemental; longsword), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed, fire-, water-, earth-, wind-, wood-, ice-, lightning-, darkness-, light-elemental, grants immunity to Sleep, Blindness, Confusion, Frailty, and Weakening; bodywear), Cloak of the Red Assassin (Chance of Assassination is 1/3, suitable for Assassins; backwear), The Black Hat (Suitable for anyone, grants Intimidation, immune to darkness and cursed, headwear), Sticky Gloves (gains 50% more gold, suitable for Rogues, handwear)

Inventory: Zoot's Reaper (WP:15, earth-elemental; scythe), Clock Cog (WP:14, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Justice (WP:8, causes blinded-effect, dagger), Twin Kunai (WP:6, dual strike, daggers), Spinning Bolas (WP: 5, deals the Slowed effect, but the effect is removed when retrieved; retrievable), Wrench (WP:3, decreases the target’s level by 1, retrievable), Cloak of the Blue Assassin (SP:1, suitable to Rogues; backwear), Sterile Gloves (grants immunity to poisoned- and bleeding-effects, handwear), Minuet of the Forest (Causes Wood damage equal to the minstrel's level to all enemies per round for as long as the song is sung. Costs 10 ether per round. Minstrel Song), 9 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 7 Health Cores, Tiger Balm, 15 Remedies, 2 Neutralizers, 3 Elixirs, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 3 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 6 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 3 Mulled Wines, Minimizing Dust, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone, 4 Mythril Shards, 3 Pumpkin Bombs (causes stunned-, poisoned-, asleep-, blinded-, sealed- and confused-effects to all opponents when used), x2 Gold Rings (Worth 15 gold; can be given to someone to make them enamored with the giver), Pauldrons (suitable for knights, dragoons, and skirmishers, SP: 2, accessory), Fenghuang Essence (After being consumed, automatically revives the target with full health once when knocked out; cannot revive targets that are already knocked out), Baron's Epaulets (Suitable for short heroes, grants Command over short NPCs), Ancient Starbeam Dagger (WP: 12, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, throwing weapon)

photo-thumb-38273.jpg?_r=1393376761Em (emjajoas)

Unknown age human male Warden

Level 16

Power Bonus: 4

Defense: 19

Health: 34/34

Gold: 6

Equipment: Aquabow (WP: 7, Water-elemental), Anniversary Medal (Artefact/Accessory) (Power +2, SP +2, Max. Health +2, Max. Ether +2. The values will increase by 1 with each passing year), Iron Knuckle Armour (Body, foot, and hand wear. Counts as one artefact. Usable by knights and dragoons. SP: 10. Cannot be removed by enemies), Fashionable Shield (SP:7)

Inventory:

Consumables: Smoke bomb, Grating Stone x2, Nostrum x2, Potion x3, Remedy x3, Venom, Grand Potion x3, Mead x2, Ambrosia

Weapons: Quality Cutlass (WP:6, Dagger), Bow(WP:5), Aging Starbeam Blade (WP: 9, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, longsword)

Tools: Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe,

Equipment: White Marksman's Hat (⅙ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters; Headwear), Gentleman's Hat (SP: 1, suitable for men, headgear. The wearer has a 1/2 chance to not be affected by (Asleep), Ranger's Quiver (+1 WP to all Bows/Crossbows),

Posco Padfoot (NPC, controlled by emjajoas) *Immune to blinded*

111 year old male halfling Assassin

Level 75

Power Bonus: 0

Defense: 10

Health: 12/90

Gold: 28932

Equipment: Hellfire and Damnation (WP: 50, dual strike, deals damage to undead, daggers), Cloak of the Ex-Blue Assassin (Suitable for former blue assassins, immune to blinded SP: 10, backwear), Tattered Hood (Suitable for Posco, attacks deal the fragile effect if assassination fails, headwear), Peasant’s Robe (Suitable for anyone, +4 maximum health, bodywear), Talisman of the Last Resort (Suitable for suicidal old men, wearer explodes on being knocked out, dealing 200 damage to all enemies, accessory)

Inventory: 85 Spoiled Nostrums (Deals the doomed and lucky effects), 87 Spoiled Smelling Salts (Deals the bleeding and hastened effects), 89 Spoiled Meads (Deals the poisoned by 25 and encouraged effects), 72 Deadly Venoms, 45 Venoms

Hybros barely has time to react before a battle is upon them, and a what appears to be a halfling Blue Assassin. "Ehem, you there. I am familiar with your organization, among your rival's..." he indicates his Cloaks of the Red and Blue Assassins. "I am Hybros, and this is Em. We are here to help. And it looks like you could use some healing. Hold on." Hybros uses a Health Core and Nostrum on Padfoot.

"Ehehm... I suggest taking some Smelling Salts, too, eheh..."

"So I was right about the Moon Elves... I hope I was not right about Zoot..."

Battle Order:

>Em

>Posco uses Smelling Salts

>Hybros uses Health Core

>Hybros uses Nostrum

>Posco

Em frowns, drawing back his bow. "Have you got some sort of plan?" he mutters to the Imp.

Em attacks Shadowed Moon Elf A from the back row; Padfoot uses smelling salts and attacks the Shade from the back row.

"I usually do, heheh..." Hybros replied with a grin.

Round One of Elven Onslaught

>Em vs. Moon Elf A - Critical Hit (34 - 5 = 29 damage)

>Posco uses Smelling Salts on himself

>Hybros uses Health Core on Posco

>Hybros uses Nostrum on Posco

>Posco vs. Shade - Lethal Critical Hit Shield: Grim Reaper (No assassination, elves fragile, 150 gold stolen)

Moon Elf B and E vs. Em - (60/2 - 19 = 11 damage

Moon Elf C vs. Posco - (30/2 - 10 = 5 damage)

Moon Elf D vs. Hybros - (30/2 = 15 damage)

Posco bleeding (5 damage)

Posco cripples the elves, Em managing to land an arrow in one as the others swarm the heroes. Posco coughs up blood after innhaling a cocktail of consumables.

Enemies

Shade

Special: Blackest Night – Shade deals 10 darkness damage 1-6 times plus the jinxed and blinded effect to each hero. The Shade then vanishes, avoiding all actions and damage for the remainder of the round.

Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse A *Fragile, 3 rounds*

Level 30 Dark Undead

Health: 139/168

Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse B *Fragile, 3 rounds*

Level 30 Dark Undead

Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse C *Fragile, 3 rounds*

Level 30 Dark Undead

Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse D *Fragile, 3 rounds*

Level 30 Dark Undead

Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse E *Fragile, 3 rounds*

Level 30 Dark Undead

Party

9482851885_e209b65231_t.jpg Hybros (JimButcher)*Hastened* *Immune to Cursed, Asleep, Blinded, Confused, Fragile, Weakened* *Immune to all elements* *Temporary Party Leader*

Health: 30/45

Gold: 949

Equipment: Sword of Ancestral Hatred (WP: 44.50, gains 1/4 WP every kill made with it, light-, darkness-, fire-, ice-, and wind-elemental; longsword), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed, fire-, water-, earth-, wind-, wood-, ice-, lightning-, darkness-, light-elemental, grants immunity to Sleep, Blindness, Confusion, Frailty, and Weakening; bodywear), Cloak of the Red Assassin (Chance of Assassination is 1/3, suitable for Assassins; backwear), The Black Hat (Suitable for anyone, grants Intimidation, immune to darkness and cursed, headwear), Sticky Gloves (gains 50% more gold, suitable for Rogues, handwear)

Inventory: Zoot's Reaper (WP:15, earth-elemental; scythe), Clock Cog (WP:14, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Justice (WP:8, causes blinded-effect, dagger), Twin Kunai (WP:6, dual strike, daggers), Spinning Bolas (WP: 5, deals the Slowed effect, but the effect is removed when retrieved; retrievable), Wrench (WP:3, decreases the target’s level by 1, retrievable), Cloak of the Blue Assassin (SP:1, suitable to Rogues; backwear), Sterile Gloves (grants immunity to poisoned- and bleeding-effects, handwear), Minuet of the Forest (Causes Wood damage equal to the minstrel's level to all enemies per round for as long as the song is sung. Costs 10 ether per round. Minstrel Song), 9 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 6 Health Cores, Tiger Balm, 15 Remedies, 2 Neutralizers, 3 Elixirs, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 3 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 5 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 3 Mulled Wines, Minimizing Dust, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone, 4 Mythril Shards, 3 Pumpkin Bombs (causes stunned-, poisoned-, asleep-, blinded-, sealed- and confused-effects to all opponents when used), x2 Gold Rings (Worth 15 gold; can be given to someone to make them enamored with the giver), Pauldrons (suitable for knights, dragoons, and skirmishers, SP: 2, accessory), Fenghuang Essence (After being consumed, automatically revives the target with full health once when knocked out; cannot revive targets that are already knocked out), Baron's Epaulets (Suitable for short heroes, grants Command over short NPCs), Ancient Starbeam Dagger (WP: 12, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, throwing weapon)

Level 16

Health: 23/34

Equipment: Aquabow (WP: 7, Water-elemental), Anniversary Medal (Artefact/Accessory) (Power +2, SP +2, Max. Health +2, Max. Ether +2. The values will increase by 1 with each passing year), Iron Knuckle Armour (Body, foot, and hand wear. Counts as one artefact. Usable by knights and dragoons. SP: 10. Cannot be removed by enemies), Fashionable Shield (SP:7)

Inventory:

Consumables: Smoke bomb, Grating Stone x2, Nostrum x2, Potion x3, Remedy x3, Venom, Grand Potion x3, Mead x2, Ambrosia

Weapons: Quality Cutlass (WP:6, Dagger), Bow(WP:5), Aging Starbeam Blade (WP: 9, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, longsword)

Equipment: White Marksman's Hat (⅙ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters; Headwear), Gentleman's Hat (SP: 1, suitable for men, headgear. The wearer has a 1/2 chance to not be affected by (Asleep), Ranger's Quiver (+1 WP to all Bows/Crossbows),

Posco Padfoot (NPC, controlled by emjajoas) *Immune to blinded* *Hastened* *Lucky*

Level 75

Health: 85/90

Gold: 29082

Equipment: Hellfire and Damnation (WP: 50, dual strike, deals damage to undead, daggers), Cloak of the Ex-Blue Assassin (Suitable for former blue assassins, immune to blinded SP: 10, backwear), Tattered Hood (Suitable for Posco, attacks deal the fragile effect if assassination fails, headwear), Peasant’s Robe (Suitable for anyone, +4 maximum health, bodywear), Talisman of the Last Resort (Suitable for suicidal old men, wearer explodes on being knocked out, dealing 200 damage to all enemies, accessory)

Inventory: 85 Spoiled Nostrums (Deals the doomed and lucky effects), 86 Spoiled Smelling Salts (Deals the bleeding and hastened effects), 89 Spoiled Meads (Deals the poisoned by 25 and encouraged effects), 72 Deadly Venoms, 45 Venoms

"Nicely done, heh." Hybros drinks a Nostrum and attacks Moon Elf Corpse E with the Sword of Ancestral Hatred from the back row.

"Assassin, stepping forward may increase our chances of survival here, hehe."

Battle Order:

Em

Padfoot

Hybros

Hybros

Padfoot

OOC: I'm thinking if Padfoot is lucky enough, he can take down four Moon Elves in one round. He should target Elves A (dual strike to B) and C (dual strike to D). Em can attack B or D and leave only the Shade and one Elf for free hits (if Padfoot's attacks don't kill them).

Padfoot attacks Elves A and C from the front row; Em attacks B from the back row.

"No need to sugarcoat it. If you have one of our cloaks, your familiarity with my old organization amounts to you having killed one of us."

Round Two of Elven Onslaught

>Em vs. Moon Elf B - Deflected Damage (No deflect, 30/2 - 19 = 0 damage)

Posco vs. Moon Elf A - Lethal Hit Lethal Critical Hit (175 x 2 = 350 x 2 = 700 damage, Elf A KO'd)

>Hybros uses Nostrum on himself

>Hybros vs. Moon Elf E - Special Damage Shield: Grim Reaper (Elf B assassinated, 180 gold stolen)

Posco vs. Moon Elf C - Damage Lethal Hit (125 x 2 = 250 x 2 = 500 damage, Elf C KO'd)

Shade vs. Em - (50/2 - 19 = 6 damage

Moon Elf D vs. Posco - (30/2 - 10 = 5 damage)

Hybros and Posco cut down several elves in a flurry of strikes while Em holds off the others.

Enemies

Shade

Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse D *Fragile, 2 rounds*

Level 30 Dark Undead

Shadowed Moon Elf Corpse E *Fragile, 2 rounds*

Level 30 Dark Undead

Party

Gold: 1129

Equipment: Sword of Ancestral Hatred (WP: 44.33, gains 1/4 WP every kill made with it, light-, darkness-, fire-, ice-, and wind-elemental; longsword), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed, fire-, water-, earth-, wind-, wood-, ice-, lightning-, darkness-, light-elemental, grants immunity to Sleep, Blindness, Confusion, Frailty, and Weakening; bodywear), Cloak of the Red Assassin (Chance of Assassination is 1/3, suitable for Assassins; backwear), The Black Hat (Suitable for anyone, grants Intimidation, immune to darkness and cursed, headwear), Sticky Gloves (gains 50% more gold, suitable for Rogues, handwear)

Inventory: Zoot's Reaper (WP:15, earth-elemental; scythe), Clock Cog (WP:14, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Justice (WP:8, causes blinded-effect, dagger), Twin Kunai (WP:6, dual strike, daggers), Spinning Bolas (WP: 5, deals the Slowed effect, but the effect is removed when retrieved; retrievable), Wrench (WP:3, decreases the target’s level by 1, retrievable), Cloak of the Blue Assassin (SP:1, suitable to Rogues; backwear), Sterile Gloves (grants immunity to poisoned- and bleeding-effects, handwear), Minuet of the Forest (Causes Wood damage equal to the minstrel's level to all enemies per round for as long as the song is sung. Costs 10 ether per round. Minstrel Song), 9 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 6 Health Cores, Tiger Balm, 15 Remedies, 2 Neutralizers, 3 Elixirs, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 3 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 4 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 3 Mulled Wines, Minimizing Dust, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone, 4 Mythril Shards, 3 Pumpkin Bombs (causes stunned-, poisoned-, asleep-, blinded-, sealed- and confused-effects to all opponents when used), x2 Gold Rings (Worth 15 gold; can be given to someone to make them enamored with the giver), Pauldrons (suitable for knights, dragoons, and skirmishers, SP: 2, accessory), Fenghuang Essence (After being consumed, automatically revives the target with full health once when knocked out; cannot revive targets that are already knocked out), Baron's Epaulets (Suitable for short heroes, grants Command over short NPCs), Ancient Starbeam Dagger (WP: 12, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, throwing weapon)

Level 16

Health: 17/34

Inventory:

Posco Padfoot (NPC, controlled by emjajoas) *Immune to blinded* *Hastened* *Lucky* *Bleeding*

Level 75

Health: 80/90

Inventory: 85 Spoiled Nostrums (Deals the doomed and lucky effects), 86 Spoiled Smelling Salts (Deals the bleeding and hastened effects), 89 Spoiled Meads (Deals the poisoned by 25 and encouraged effects), 72 Deadly Venoms, 45 Venoms

OOC: Posco shouldn't be bleeding because after he took Smelling Salts he was healed to full health. Also, shouldn't dual strike automatically carry over to the next enemy? With the fact that you can hit the same enemy twice, but you'd have to specify?

"Why would it amount to that? Perhaps I was initiated. How would you know, how long has been since you have been a Blue Assassin?"

OOC: Posco shouldn't be bleeding because after he took Smelling Salts he was healed to full health. Also, shouldn't dual strike automatically carry over to the next enemy? With the fact that you can hit the same enemy twice, but you'd have to specify?

That's true, fixed.

I generally treat it the other way around. :wacko:

"Why would it amount to that? Perhaps I was initiated. How would you know, how long has been since you have been a Blue Assassin?"

"It's been decades now. If you were a Blue Assassin, you'd be wearing your cloak, you wouldn't have an ally, and the only reason you'd be down here would be to kill me, which clearly isn't the case."

OOC: It's been like that since Quest 50, but I guess it doesn't matter much. We should have specified from the get-go. In this case the SOAH gains .25 WP (so it should be at 44.50).

"Assassins can not have allies? And their only goal is to kill... you? Perhaps I was sent down here on a mission of my own. Or perhaps I am here on my own accord. Do not be so narrow-minded. And I am wearing a Cloak, just not in your color, hehehe."

Em does nothing from the back row.

Hybros attacks Moon Elves D and E from the back row.

Padfoot attacks Moon Elf D twice (dual strike: E) from the front row.

Battle Order:

Em

Hybros

Hybros

Padfoot

Padfoot

"Maybe you are an assassin. My point is you're sure as hell not a Blue or Red."

Round Three of Elven Onslaught

>Em does nothing

>Hybros vs. Moon Elf D - Lethal Critical Hit Lethal Critical Hit (Moon Elf D assassinated, + 0.25 WP)

>Hybros vs. Moon Elf E - Lethal Aim Shield: Grim Reaper (Elf E assassinated, 45 gold stolen, + 0.25 WP)

Posco vs. Moon Elf D Shade - Lethal Aim Lethal Hit (125 x 2 = 250 damage)

Posco vs. Moon Elf D Shade - Special Damage Shield: Grim Reaper (No effect)

Hybros slays the final two elves as Posco slides past the Shade, slashing at him viciously.

Enemies

Shade

Health: 580/830

Party

Gold: 1174

Equipment: Sword of Ancestral Hatred (WP: 45, gains 1/4 WP every kill made with it, light-, darkness-, fire-, ice-, and wind-elemental; longsword), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed, fire-, water-, earth-, wind-, wood-, ice-, lightning-, darkness-, light-elemental, grants immunity to Sleep, Blindness, Confusion, Frailty, and Weakening; bodywear), Cloak of the Red Assassin (Chance of Assassination is 1/3, suitable for Assassins; backwear), The Black Hat (Suitable for anyone, grants Intimidation, immune to darkness and cursed, headwear), Sticky Gloves (gains 50% more gold, suitable for Rogues, handwear)

Inventory: Zoot's Reaper (WP:15, earth-elemental; scythe), Clock Cog (WP:14, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Justice (WP:8, causes blinded-effect, dagger), Twin Kunai (WP:6, dual strike, daggers), Spinning Bolas (WP: 5, deals the Slowed effect, but the effect is removed when retrieved; retrievable), Wrench (WP:3, decreases the target’s level by 1, retrievable), Cloak of the Blue Assassin (SP:1, suitable to Rogues; backwear), Sterile Gloves (grants immunity to poisoned- and bleeding-effects, handwear), Minuet of the Forest (Causes Wood damage equal to the minstrel's level to all enemies per round for as long as the song is sung. Costs 10 ether per round. Minstrel Song), 9 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 6 Health Cores, Tiger Balm, 15 Remedies, 2 Neutralizers, 3 Elixirs, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 3 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 4 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 3 Mulled Wines, Minimizing Dust, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone, 4 Mythril Shards, 3 Pumpkin Bombs (causes stunned-, poisoned-, asleep-, blinded-, sealed- and confused-effects to all opponents when used), x2 Gold Rings (Worth 15 gold; can be given to someone to make them enamored with the giver), Pauldrons (suitable for knights, dragoons, and skirmishers, SP: 2, accessory), Fenghuang Essence (After being consumed, automatically revives the target with full health once when knocked out; cannot revive targets that are already knocked out), Baron's Epaulets (Suitable for short heroes, grants Command over short NPCs), Ancient Starbeam Dagger (WP: 12, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, throwing weapon)

Level 16

Inventory:

Posco Padfoot (NPC, controlled by emjajoas) *Immune to blinded* *Hastened* *Lucky*

Level 75

Hybros shrugs. "Red, Blue, Purple... I think I have proven myself as a very lethal assassin, regardless of who I associate with, eheh." He emphasizes his point by slicing down the final two Moon Elf Corpses. "I am afraid I did not catch your name."

Hybros attacks the Shade with his Twin Kunai from the back row until Damage or Special Damage is rolled, or the Shade is defeated.

Posco does the same with his own twin daggers, from the front row.

Em does nothing in the back row.

Battle Order:

Posco

Posco

Hybros

Hybros

Em

"Posco."

Round Four of Elven Onslaught

Posco vs. Shade - Special Damage Special Damage: Blackest Night (Everyone jinxed and blinded, one hit to each hero, Shade vanished)

Posco does nothing

>Hybros does nothing

>Hybros does nothing

>Em does nothing

The Shade darkens the room, crippling the heroes on his return, but dealing no damage.

Enemies

Shade

Health: 580/830

Party

9482851885_e209b65231_t.jpg Hybros (JimButcher)*Hastened* *Immune to Cursed, Asleep, Blinded, Confused, Fragile, Weakened* *Immune to all elements* *Temporary Party Leader* *Lucky* *Jinxed*

Equipment: Sword of Ancestral Hatred (WP: 45, gains 1/4 WP every kill made with it, light-, darkness-, fire-, ice-, and wind-elemental; longsword), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed, fire-, water-, earth-, wind-, wood-, ice-, lightning-, darkness-, light-elemental, grants immunity to Sleep, Blindness, Confusion, Frailty, and Weakening; bodywear), Cloak of the Red Assassin (Chance of Assassination is 1/3, suitable for Assassins; backwear), The Black Hat (Suitable for anyone, grants Intimidation, immune to darkness and cursed, headwear), Sticky Gloves (gains 50% more gold, suitable for Rogues, handwear)

photo-thumb-38273.jpg?_r=1393376761Em (emjajoas) *Jinxed* *Blinded, 3 rounds*

Level 16

Inventory:

Posco Padfoot (NPC, controlled by emjajoas) *Immune to blinded* *Hastened* *Lucky* *Jinxed*

Level 75

Hybros uses a Remedy on Posco, then does nothing in the back row. Posco repeats. Em does nothing in the back row.

"I am Hybros, and this is Em."

Battle Order:

Hybros

Hybros

Posco

Posco

Em

Round Five of Elven Onslaught

>Hybros uses Remedy on Posco

>Hybros does nothing

Posco vs. Shade - Lethal Aim Shield: Grim Reaper (No effect)

Posco vs. Shade - Lethal Aim Lethal Aim (50 x 2 = 100 damage)

>Em does nothing

"Can I assume you're down here on the Baron's orders?" asks the aging assassin as he twists to evade the shade, then brings his daggers across its side. "You can't get to this sewer from the surface without going through Zylstra first."

Enemies

Shade

Health: 480/830

Party

9482851885_e209b65231_t.jpg Hybros (JimButcher)*Hastened* *Immune to Cursed, Asleep, Blinded, Confused, Fragile, Weakened* *Immune to all elements* *Temporary Party Leader* *Lucky* *Jinxed*

Inventory: Zoot's Reaper (WP:15, earth-elemental; scythe), Clock Cog (WP:14, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Justice (WP:8, causes blinded-effect, dagger), Twin Kunai (WP:6, dual strike, daggers), Spinning Bolas (WP: 5, deals the Slowed effect, but the effect is removed when retrieved; retrievable), Wrench (WP:3, decreases the target’s level by 1, retrievable), Cloak of the Blue Assassin (SP:1, suitable to Rogues; backwear), Sterile Gloves (grants immunity to poisoned- and bleeding-effects, handwear), Minuet of the Forest (Causes Wood damage equal to the minstrel's level to all enemies per round for as long as the song is sung. Costs 10 ether per round. Minstrel Song), 9 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 6 Health Cores, Tiger Balm, 14 Remedies, 2 Neutralizers, 3 Elixirs, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 3 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 4 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 3 Mulled Wines, Minimizing Dust, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone, 4 Mythril Shards, 3 Pumpkin Bombs (causes stunned-, poisoned-, asleep-, blinded-, sealed- and confused-effects to all opponents when used), x2 Gold Rings (Worth 15 gold; can be given to someone to make them enamored with the giver), Pauldrons (suitable for knights, dragoons, and skirmishers, SP: 2, accessory), Fenghuang Essence (After being consumed, automatically revives the target with full health once when knocked out; cannot revive targets that are already knocked out), Baron's Epaulets (Suitable for short heroes, grants Command over short NPCs), Ancient Starbeam Dagger (WP: 12, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, throwing weapon)

photo-thumb-38273.jpg?_r=1393376761Em (emjajoas) *Jinxed* *Blinded, 2 rounds*

Level 16

Inventory:

Level 75

"Couldn't say."

Round Six of Elven Onslaught

Posco vs. Shade - Damage Lethal Critical Hit (175 x 2 = 350 damage)

Posco vs. Shade - Special Damage Lethal Critical Hit (175 x 2 = 350 damage, Shade KO'd)

>Hybros does nothing

>Hybros does nothing

>Em does nothing

Posco cuts the Shade down until it evaporates, but it then condenses into its shadowy form. This one, however, looked even stronger.

Enemies

14060035356_6e37eeb4c0_t.jpg

Greater Void Husk

Level 30 Ethereal Undead

Health: 300/300

Special: Possession – The Void Husk attaches itself to the hero, seizing control of their actions for the duration of the round. Attacks made and items used on the Void Husk (disregarding conditions) will instead be redirected to the hero (the hero’s row does not reduce damage taken from allies, but defense does), and it will retaliate on rolls of Damage using the hero’s level added to the Void Husk’s. Rolls of Special Damage will cause the shadowed hero to use their Shield skill against the attacking hero and/or the party. Knocking out the hero will defeat the Void Husk.

Passive Special: Gathering Dark – Void Husk will revert back to a Shade after one round with half the Shade’s maximum health if not defeated.

Party

Inventory: Zoot's Reaper (WP:15, earth-elemental; scythe), Clock Cog (WP:14, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Justice (WP:8, causes blinded-effect, dagger), Twin Kunai (WP:6, dual strike, daggers), Spinning Bolas (WP: 5, deals the Slowed effect, but the effect is removed when retrieved; retrievable), Wrench (WP:3, decreases the target’s level by 1, retrievable), Cloak of the Blue Assassin (SP:1, suitable to Rogues; backwear), Sterile Gloves (grants immunity to poisoned- and bleeding-effects, handwear), Minuet of the Forest (Causes Wood damage equal to the minstrel's level to all enemies per round for as long as the song is sung. Costs 10 ether per round. Minstrel Song), 9 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 6 Health Cores, Tiger Balm, 14 Remedies, 2 Neutralizers, 3 Elixirs, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 3 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 4 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 3 Mulled Wines, Minimizing Dust, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone, 4 Mythril Shards, 3 Pumpkin Bombs (causes stunned-, poisoned-, asleep-, blinded-, sealed- and confused-effects to all opponents when used), x2 Gold Rings (Worth 15 gold; can be given to someone to make them enamored with the giver), Pauldrons (suitable for knights, dragoons, and skirmishers, SP: 2, accessory), Fenghuang Essence (After being consumed, automatically revives the target with full health once when knocked out; cannot revive targets that are already knocked out), Baron's Epaulets (Suitable for short heroes, grants Command over short NPCs), Ancient Starbeam Dagger (WP: 12, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, throwing weapon)

photo-thumb-38273.jpg?_r=1393376761Em (emjajoas) *Jinxed* *Blinded, 2 rounds*

Level 16

Inventory:

Level 75

"Hm. Well what can you say? And, be careful with this one."

Hybros and Em stay in the back row.

Posco attacks twice from the front row.

Same Battle Order.

Round Seven of Elven Onslaught

Posco vs. Shade - Lethal Critical Hit Shield: Grim Reaper (No assassination, Greater Void Husk Fragile)

Posco vs. Shade - Special Damage Lethal Hit (125 x 2 = 350 x 2 = 700 damage, Void Husk KO'd)

>Hybros does nothing

>Hybros does nothing

>Em does nothing

Posco decapitates the void husk, finsihing it off, then slumps against the wall, panting.

THE BATTLE IS VICTORIOUS!!!

Everyone gains experience. The enemies drop 100 gold and 5 Crescent Shields. Party leader, how will the loot be divided?

heroica-goldpile.jpg 100 Gold

x5 Crescent Shields - (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield)

Party

Level: 30.25

Level 16.5

Inventory:

Posco Padfoot (NPC, controlled by emjajoas) *Immune to blinded*

Level 75.2

"I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those shields," Em mutters, inspecting one of them. He turns to the gnomes they had rescued, brow furrowed. "Are you guys alright?"

"Well done, Posco, though it does not appear as though you will be needing any of this, heheh." Hybros hands Em two Crescent Shields and 50 gold, keeping the other three shields and 50 gold for himself. "Perhaps our fellow heroes would like one of these." He explained. "...If they are still alive, eheh."

Hybros quickly scans the room, for gnomes or items of interest.

The other gnome behind Posco merely shuffled backward, blinking suspiciously at Em and Hybros. The dwarf mopped his brow with his hat.

"Aye, aye, we're fine here....that was well-timed, mates, thanks. I'm Melvin, but I think me and Hybros here might've been introduced before. Always pulling people out of the hottest fires, eh heroes?"

"We still don't know they're here to help us..."

"megablocks Maggie. If they meant you harm they would've let you die. I've met Heroicans before. If nothing else their hearts are in the right place. Question is just how far they go to get there."

The room was lined with long tables and benches, as if for a feast. A dead fireplace sat in one end of the hall, and everything was comprised of the telltale black stone of Nu Mercution.

"They took us down here with the rest of them. We formed a militia but it didn't do much to help. I don't think they expected an assassin with ninety years of experience and enough mental fortitude to challenge them to come along too. I broke free and, well, you showed up just in time for a turnaround. Killed two of the shades, but the last one had those elven bodies come up from a trapdoor over there." Posco pointed to one corner of the room.

Hybros nods to the gnomes. "Good to see that are still well, heh. Curious that they did not try to kill you, though. I wonder what they want an entire city's worth of gnomes for... Any idea if there are other gnomes down there?" He indicated the trap door.

"Or should we go back and help one of the other groups?" He asked, turning to Em. "I would also suggest that you use some of those Deadly Venoms and Nostrums on your weapons and us, for whatever is ahead, Posco."

OOC: About 25 Deadly Venoms would be good. :grin: And I can Remedy us if he uses the Nostrum.

"Sacrifices, perhaps? Some sort of slave army isn't out of the picture, either..." Em mutters with a shrug. He strides over to the corner with the trap door and inspected it.

"I believe we should keep pushing forward, at least for now."

OOC: You have control over Posco's actions. Do what you want, but I think it'd be wise to use some of those venoms and Nostrums.

"Alright, after you then, eheh." Hybros follows Em into the trap door.

"Hold up. I'm not going any further, unless you're seriously suggesting dragging the citizens further into this thing. We've got others to save, and I'm not leaving them."

Posco uses the Deadly Venom on Em's bow and Hybros' sword; he also uses a Spoiled Nostrum on each of them.

"You'd be safer with us; we're planning on rescuing everyone we come across. Who knows what you'll find on your way back down that tunnel. Do what you want."

"Em is right. And we could really use the help from someone as experienced as you." Hybros swaps the Sticky Gloves for the Baron's Epaulets, using a commanding tone. "In fact, I insist. You would all be safer with us. If you would like to ensure the safety of the others first, fine, then we can go back upstairs and head down the other passageways. There are others here helping."

Hybros nods to Em. "Perhaps he is right. Maybe we should get the others before moving on."

Posco's face twisted into a scowl.

"Fine. If any of them die, you'll be the one paying for it."

"Should've known they'd pull us into this mess..."

Party

9482851885_e209b65231_t.jpg Hybros (JimButcher)*Hastened* *Lucky* *Doomed, 3 rounds* *Immune to Cursed, Asleep, Blinded, Confused, Fragile, Weakened* *Immune to all elements* *Temporary Party Leader*

Level: 30.25

Gold: 1224

Equipment: Sword of Ancestral Hatred (WP: 45, gains 1/4 WP every kill made with it, light-, darkness-, fire-, ice-, and wind-elemental; longsword, poisoned by 10), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed, fire-, water-, earth-, wind-, wood-, ice-, lightning-, darkness-, light-elemental, grants immunity to Sleep, Blindness, Confusion, Frailty, and Weakening; bodywear), Cloak of the Red Assassin (Chance of Assassination is 1/3, suitable for Assassins; backwear), The Black Hat (Suitable for anyone, grants Intimidation, immune to darkness and cursed, headwear) Baron's Epaulets (Suitable for short heroes, grants Command over short NPCs)

Inventory: Zoot's Reaper (WP:15, earth-elemental; scythe), Clock Cog (WP:14, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Justice (WP:8, causes blinded-effect, dagger), Twin Kunai (WP:6, dual strike, daggers), Spinning Bolas (WP: 5, deals the Slowed effect, but the effect is removed when retrieved; retrievable), Wrench (WP:3, decreases the target’s level by 1, retrievable), Cloak of the Blue Assassin (SP:1, suitable to Rogues; backwear), Sterile Gloves (grants immunity to poisoned- and bleeding-effects, handwear), Minuet of the Forest (Causes Wood damage equal to the minstrel's level to all enemies per round for as long as the song is sung. Costs 10 ether per round. Minstrel Song), 9 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, 6 Health Cores, Tiger Balm, 14 Remedies, 2 Neutralizers, 3 Elixirs, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 3 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 4 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 3 Mulled Wines, Minimizing Dust, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone, 4 Mythril Shards, 3 Pumpkin Bombs (causes stunned-, poisoned-, asleep-, blinded-, sealed- and confused-effects to all opponents when used), x2 Gold Rings (Worth 15 gold; can be given to someone to make them enamored with the giver), Pauldrons (suitable for knights, dragoons, and skirmishers, SP: 2, accessory), Fenghuang Essence (After being consumed, automatically revives the target with full health once when knocked out; cannot revive targets that are already knocked out), Ancient Starbeam Dagger (WP: 12, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, throwing weapon), x3 Crescent Shields (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield), Sticky Gloves (gains 50% more gold, suitable for Rogues, handwear)

photo-thumb-38273.jpg?_r=1393376761Em (emjajoas) *Lucky* *Doomed, 3 rounds*

Level 16.5

Gold: 56

Equipment: Aquabow (WP: 7, Water-elemental, poisoned by 10), Anniversary Medal (Artefact/Accessory) (Power +2, SP +2, Max. Health +2, Max. Ether +2. The values will increase by 1 with each passing year), Iron Knuckle Armour (Body, foot, and hand wear. Counts as one artefact. Usable by knights and dragoons. SP: 10. Cannot be removed by enemies), Fashionable Shield (SP:7)

Inventory:

Equipment: White Marksman's Hat (⅙ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters; Headwear), Gentleman's Hat (SP: 1, suitable for men, headgear. The wearer has a 1/2 chance to not be affected by (Asleep), Ranger's Quiver (+1 WP to all Bows/Crossbows), x2 Crescent Shields (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield)

Posco Padfoot (NPC, controlled by emjajoas) *Immune to blinded* *Explodes when knocked out*

Level 75.2

Inventory: 83 Spoiled Nostrums (Deals the doomed and lucky effects), 86 Spoiled Smelling Salts (Deals the bleeding and hastened effects), 89 Spoiled Meads (Deals the poisoned by 25 and encouraged effects), 70 Deadly Venoms, 45 Venoms

Maggie McFry (NPC, controlled by emjajoas) *Civilian*

37 years old female gnome Artisan

Level 1

Health: 20/20

Gold: 0

Equipment: Hammer (WP: 1, hammer)

Note: As a civilian, the NPC dies when knocked out at the end of battle.

Melvin (NPC, controlled by JimButcher) *Civilian*

82 years old male dwarf Minstrel

Level 1

Health: 16/16

Ether: 9/9

Gold: 0

Equipment: Out of Tune Slidewhistle (WP: 1, instrument)

Note: As a civilian, the NPC dies when knocked out at the end of battle.

"Indeed I will. But who would be the one paying for it if we left you here to deal with more of those... things alone? Now, come. Posco, prepare your weapons, and drink one of those Nostrums. How long have you had those for? They look unhealthy, heheh. Have a Remedy and Potion to wash it down." Hybros commands.

He then drinks a Grand Potion for himself, followed by a Remedy.

He then leads everyone back to the central room, and if nothing was of interest there, down the way that Jeaux and Soryx went.

OOC: That all translates to Hybros commanding Posco to use 25 Deadly Venoms on his daggers, using a Spoiled Nostrum on himself, and Hybros using a Remedy and potion on Posco. Hopefully that's an acceptable use of the Command trait, I don't want to take emjajoas' control completely.

"I give you my word that you'll not be harmed as long as I have the strength to stand," Em nods, addressing the two civilians. "I'm hardly at fault for you being in this mess, but I'll get you out of it. I've no intention of getting you killed. Life is nothing to squander."

Em chugs back a Remedy, returning to the front of the formation with Hybros. "Should we let them know as far as we know they've no way to returning to the surface yet? We've fallen pretty far down, after all... Perhaps then they would cooperate more easily."

"Heh, either way we can not do anything until we save all of the citizens. It is what we were sent down here to do, after all." Hybros pauses. "...Where did you say you were from?"

Em shakes his head. "Here and there," he mutters. "Not really from anywhere, been on the move for as long as I can remember. How about you? I can't say I'm familiar with many imps or your species' origins."

"That makes two of us, heheh. Though I think I am from, well, here. Down below the surface. An underground city like this or Zylstra are what I imagine my people to live in. Hehehe!" His tone was light, but his eyes were serious. "Things are moving, and I imagine I will be in a place like this again very soon... ehem."

"What brought you to Heroica? Good deeds and all that are not what they have been told to be. Most so-called heroes are not as noble as they claim. Some are only there to fulfill their own purposes, or to find one, eheh. I do not exclude myself from those. But you seem to be doing what you think is right, what is your purpose?"

"Ha!" Em scoffs. "I'd hardly call myself a hero, even in the broadest terms. Though to be honest, I don't know why I'm here; the promise of adventure, perhaps. A home, maybe. A way to put gold in my pocket and food on my table, possibly. I could've merely wanted to fight someone else's war. I think, though, I wanted to make a name for myself other than Mad Mahzan. But that's..."

Em shrugs before sighing.

"What of you? For what reason do you take up your sword?"

"Mad Mahzan...? I knew there was something more to you than just two letters, heheh."

"Me, I am only here, or anywhere, in search of answers, and my people. That has been my only purpose in all of my years on the surface of Olegaia."

"Then I wish you luck on your quest," Em replies with a slight nod. "I'll keep an ear to the ground myself and let you know if I hear anything interesting."

Hybros and Em lead their group back into the central chamber, then down Jeaux's passageway.

Can't link it, but I'm assuming you got successfully invited to the other PM conversation. :thumbup:

Chromeknight, I look forward to the day you decide to start QM-ing. :wink:

This is in reference to?

Your rules logic in 102 (and elsewhere in general). You put a lot of thought and effort into the logic of the battles you fight in, I can only imagine how much more would go into what you'd host. :wink:

Been throwing around more boss rush ideas. Just as a note, since there was some confusion last time around: This is just some ideas I've been tossing about lately, and figured I'd put them up here to see what you folks think. This is definitely not going to show up in the near future, if at all.

Showdown on Memory Lane

The context of the previous pitch stays the same: Howard Dini has taken interest in the mining of several Memory crystals he found in a nearby, and hires heroes to do it. Before being mined, however, the crystals have an odd property: being able to manipulate the memories of those in Eubric and projecting them into the minds of others. They've taken quite a fancy to the memories of Heroicans. And, like all memories, they're twisting things arounda bit to make things tougher...

The Quest itself

The Quest would be reoccuring and go up semi-frequently. Each time a party enters Memory Lane, they would have a choice of four courses...

>Advanced (Normal, Level 20+ overall reccomended)

>Expert (Hard) (Level 30+ overall reccomended)

>Veteran (Very Hard) (Level 40+ overall reccomended)

>Master (Brutal) (Level 50+ overall reccomended)

Other courses could be introduced over time.

In terms of the enemies faced, all would be remixed and upgraded forms of previous boss battles. All would maintain their usual mechanic, but they would be buffed and have a new pool of specials and passive specials. Any bosses would be used only with the creator's permission/colloboration.

Although HP, SP, and Special attack damage would be scalable, the boss monsters would have one restriction: Each enemy in a boss encounter would have a set pool of specials and passive specaislt that they could have, set at the beginning of the match. If you are knowledgeable about all of the boss's potential moveset, you can plan ahead and potentially wipe the floor with them.

In terms of the quest's progression, the courses would have 5 bosses shuffled up in a random order, and one endboss. The party would only have 40 rounds to clear all six bosses, or time will run out. For example, here is a mock-up roster for a theoretical Advanced course:

-Putrid Wyvern

-Crozen's Revenge

-Zed the Master Bed

-Anarchic Draco

-Blackhood and his Djinns

-BOSS: Echo Aquos

Every single time a boss is defeated, the party is given some options.

In terms of loot: You can take the loot dropped by the bosses, OR you can forsake the loot and instead get a list of all of the possible enemies and their specials/passives in that boss battle. Essentially, treasure or intel.

You can also choose to leave in between battles in the Boss Rush. Running out of time or suffering a TPKO would cause the party to lose half of the gold they gained in Memory Lane. Material loot gained would not be affected. Quit while you're ahead and take slightly less, or go for broke and lose a huge chunk of it?

Completing the boss rush not only nets you the loot from whatever Endboss concludes the course you're on, but heroes would aso gain gold equal to the amount of rounds they have left times twenty. So, completing the rush with 10 rounds left equals an extra 200 gold for each party member. (Note that completing a first run of a course with that much time on the clock would be pretty unlikely.)

Additionally, in order to keep things fresh, doing the course multiple times makes things harder and harder.

First Run: Normal

Second Run: 30 round time limit, but to compensate, higher gold reward for clearing it.

Third Run: Same rules as Second Run, Endboss recieves a new variation. In the mock-up list earlier, Echo Aquos would become Abyssal Aquos.

Fourth Run: ???

What this essentially amounts to is a more streamlined version of the boss rush I suggested earlier: Six foes, and only 40 rounds tops to clobber all of them. It's a finite challenge, and one that is designed to be replayed to discover new foes and potentially get intel on some of the others in order to shave as much time off the battles as possible.

Of course, this niche may be completely filled by Sandy's new Fields of Glory, but I figured these random concepts are woth posting. :tongue:

Edited by Endgame

If any QMs want to volunteer their NPC to be in my upcoming Quest then please shoot me a PM! :grin: I promise to not kill them off unless you allow me to :tongue:

Alright! So, 109. My first quest. What an adventure. First off, I want to give a huge thank-you to Waterbrick Down for making some amazing sets and helping me along the way. It was a blast. :thumbup: As much as I hate picking a favourite, I think my favourite set was the drawbridge-- the camera angle was perfect.

Here's what I've got to say, overall:

Damn, QMing is fun-- but hard. I made a few mistakes along the way, but luckily you guys caught it and set me straight-- really appreciate you guys coming along on my first quest. I know I wasn't the best QM, especially near the end (things stopped for a few days, and then I kinda rushed the ending), but! I like to think that the beginning and middle were paced okay and that the overall QMing wasn't bad.

I've got a lot of room to improve, especially in my method of storytelling, but I changed a few things along the way and wasn't as well-planned as I should have been. The notes I were working off of were a very rough copy of what I wanted to go down; most of the segments were mostly thrown together on the spot. Not to say they turned out poorly, but I definitely should've planned a lot better.

Battles:

Overall, I think the battles were okay. I didn't account for the higher-level heroes giving the lower-level ones some spare equipment, and I'm glad I didn't because if I did it would've probably turned out a lot worse. I definitely think I could've done a better job, but I felt they were paced pretty well and provided a threat while not being too difficult. My only problem with the battles was the final battle-- I had high hopes for it, and it ended up lasting, what, two turns? That was a real bummer. I was excited about having a slew of dangerous enemies only to have them wiped from the face of existance rather quickly. :grin: I definitely underestimated positive effects, and I underestimated counterstrike throughout the entire quest. I've learned my lesson for next time, though.

The battles are something really important to me; what did you guys think of the battles? Did they feel good? Bad? Just alright?

Plot:

So I think I got this pretty spot-on, aside from the details. The overarching storyline I liked-- Go in, meet the duchy, get into the dream, explore a little bit, figure out more about the world and how the Dreamer and Witch think, fight your way to the Dreamer-- and then realize he's there of his own free will, presenting you with a choice. I definitely could and should've included more exploration, especially into the Dreamer's mind, but I didn't want to make the puzzles too lofty and couldn't think of a good way to introduce it without "giving away the twist," as it were.

I thought the setting was really cool; Redstone (and the surrounding kingdoms) are places I am definitely planning to flesh out and explore more in upcoming quests. I wasn't sure if the whole "blacksmith/stonework" city thing had been done yet, but if so, there's no harm in having two, I hope. :blush: The Dreamscape itself was brought to life by WBD, and honestly, I couldn't've asked for more. I thought it was pretty awesome.

The characters were... nothing new, I guess. I didn't develop them like I had originally wanted to. I'll have a chance to do so in upcoming quests, but I really wanted to flesh out the prince a little more in this one, because he's really the central character-- and the only one that really mattered in the end. I did an okay job with him, what with the puzzles and the world being molded after him, but he was nothing special. I thought the Duke and Duchess were very cut-and-paste, and I'm hoping that if I get a chance to QM in Redstone again, I can sort of break them out of that cliche shell that I unfortunately stuck myself in. :sceptic: Knickers was cool, but didn't have that much of an impact. I'm hoping to bring him back if I can-- Wilton did say anything you brought with you would be taken back to the real world as well. :tongue: Maya didn't get much, if any, screen time. I had more originally planned for her, most notably a battle, but I felt it took away from the climax. The way I wanted to go with the Marquis was stained with her blood, and I felt it best to cut her off that way. I hope that wasn't overstepping too many boundaries.

Loot:

At times I felt like I wasn't giving enough, at times I felt like I was giving too much. I'd be lying if I said I knew how to distribute loot at all. I have a hard enough time with it as a Party Leader, let alone a Quest Master. Not sure how I did with it, but your wallets are thicker and hopefully you feel like I didn't waste your time or resources.

Players:

The best part of the quest, in my opinion. You guys were great:

Alexander Vandangant (Wedge09): You were a good party leader, and great to have along. :thumbup: It would've been nice if you had been a little more active(not that you could have been. Hell, it's mostly my fault for moving it along at too swift a pace), but you were there when you needed to be, and Alexander voiced his opinions when it mattered. Overall, I'd say Alexander was great to have on the quest; he led the party well, he interacted a little with the other party members, and he had his own drive. However, I owe you an apology for pushing things along despite you not being around, but I felt the need to wrap up the quest-- I'm honestly really sorry for forcing things along. Great having you on board, though!

Annienal Anavir (Kintobor): What can I say, even? It was great having Annienal along. I'm used to Karie and her antics, so seeing you on the opposite end of the spectrum with Annienal and how reserved she is was a pleasure. Her interactions with Docken were also golden, though I wish I had given you more time to flesh them out. Great having you on board!

Bartholomew Docken (Brickdoctor): You're a pain to balance for, you know that? In all honesty, however, I felt as QM I was interacting most with Docken and yourself-- whether that's because you were the most active party member or because you were in the right place at the right time, I felt that you had the biggest impact on the quest. You helped it move along nicely, and I really enjoyed having Docken along to pretend the fourth wall didn't exist. :grin: Great having you on board!

Francis Barkley (Captain Settle): For someone new, you're showing a lot of promise! Francis was great; he was outspoken, interacted well with the world I gave you and the party, and had his own motivations as well. I'm really looking forward to where you're going with the character, it was a treat to have you along to watch you blossom a little. Great having you on board!

I think those are most of my thoughts. If I think of anything else, well, I'll be sure to post. I'm looking forward to everyone's criticism/feedback. As a last note, I hope that you'll come on another one of my quests when they're ready; QMing was a ton of fun. :blush:

Bartholomew Docken (Brickdoctor): You're a pain to balance for, you know that?

So I've been told. :laugh:

The quest was great, Emjajoas (and WBD). I thought everything was well-done. :thumbup: I thought the battles were well set up. Every QM wants their enemies to last long enough to use those specials and inflict pain, but I find that it's usually the battles that only take around five Rounds that are the most enjoyable. Anything longer makes the quest start to drag on and detracts from things like problem solving, world exploration, and NPC interaction. I think QMs should aim for battles that are threatening and challenging to strategize for at the beginning, but which end fairly quickly once the heroes gain control with a little bit of cleverness and a little bit of luck. Intentional or not, I think you nailed that. I know there are some players who like to be continually fighting and strategizing, but from my perspective, when I meet a challenging battle, nothing makes me more satisfied than to see my strategy end a battle quickly, as opposed to just keeping us alive while we carefully whittle down HP over twenty Rounds.

That being said, Knickers might've been a bit of an OP addition. Lucky and Hastened, dealt good Damage, and we didn't really have to care if it took Damage. I think it probably would've been a better choice to make it a Cleric rather than a Rogue, since the party had no healers. Then we might not have been able to neutralize the more threatening enemies, the ones that could deal Doomed, so quickly.

Stories and roleplaying aren't exactly my thing; I make no secret of that. But I really liked how you wrapped things up by forcing the Marquis to kill Maya. I could kind of see the twist of his being their by choice coming (in large part because of Zeph and Guffington), but I didn't anticipate her forcing him to kill her, and I think it was a great way to wrap up the plot.

So, yeah, I think you did an excellent job. Thanks for having me. :sweet:

I know that I wasn't in the quest, but I just wanted to say a couple things! First off, well done! It was a great quest. A couple things I just want to nitpick at:

I thought that the battles were too similar and repetitive. The enemies were well planned, but every battle was very similar to the previous.

I felt that the end was sort of rushed, and the climax didn't end up being as exciting as I was expecting. However, the unexpected twist was, well, unexpected.

So good job and I hope to see you QM again soon! :classic:

The quest was great, Emjajoas (and WBD). I thought everything was well-done. :thumbup: I thought the battles were well set up. Every QM wants their enemies to last long enough to use those specials and inflict pain, but I find that it's usually the battles that only take around five Rounds that are the most enjoyable. Anything longer makes the quest start to drag on and detracts from things like problem solving, world exploration, and NPC interaction. I think QMs should aim for battles that are threatening and challenging to strategize for at the beginning, but which end fairly quickly once the heroes gain control with a little bit of cleverness and a little bit of luck. Intentional or not, I think you nailed that. I know there are some players who like to be continually fighting and strategizing, but from my perspective, when I meet a challenging battle, nothing makes me more satisfied than to see my strategy end a battle quickly, as opposed to just keeping us alive while we carefully whittle down HP over twenty Rounds.

All of my yes--totally agree. :thumbup: This is what I've generally been aiming for in my QMing style (with some exceptions :tongue: ), though obviously I still have room to improve as well. :blush: Still--I'd like to see more QMs lean this way in battle design, and I feel like they could learn a LOT from 109's battles. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I've got a lot of room to improve, especially in my method of storytelling, but I changed a few things along the way and wasn't as well-planned as I should have been. The notes I were working off of were a very rough copy of what I wanted to go down; most of the segments were mostly thrown together on the spot. Not to say they turned out poorly, but I definitely should've planned a lot better.

Battles:

Overall, I think the battles were okay. I didn't account for the higher-level heroes giving the lower-level ones some spare equipment, and I'm glad I didn't because if I did it would've probably turned out a lot worse. I definitely think I could've done a better job, but I felt they were paced pretty well and provided a threat while not being too difficult. My only problem with the battles was the final battle-- I had high hopes for it, and it ended up lasting, what, two turns? That was a real bummer. I was excited about having a slew of dangerous enemies only to have them wiped from the face of existance rather quickly. :grin: I definitely underestimated positive effects, and I underestimated counterstrike throughout the entire quest. I've learned my lesson for next time, though.

The battles are something really important to me; what did you guys think of the battles? Did they feel good? Bad? Just alright?

Loot:

At times I felt like I wasn't giving enough, at times I felt like I was giving too much. I'd be lying if I said I knew how to distribute loot at all. I have a hard enough time with it as a Party Leader, let alone a Quest Master. Not sure how I did with it, but your wallets are thicker and hopefully you feel like I didn't waste your time or resources.

While I'll agree, it's a qualified agreement--you don't want to turn into me (I over-plan, to the point where what was going to be my first Quest ended up being basically done by someone else). Planning is good, but be flexible--leave little hooks where you or other QMs can build off of, or where your players can make unexpected decisions (and they will :poke: ). As much (over-)planning went into 104, some of my favorite moments so far have come about when talks with Sandy or choices by the players have led me off-script. Improvisational QMing is a skill, and you seem to have it--nurture that talent, help it to grow, and you'll be in a really good place for future Quests. You did a great job of giving the players agency (the experience of feeling their choices matter) while still adhering to the outline you'd written--very well done there, it's one of the most important QM skills. :thumbup:

As far as the battles go, I really do feel you hit a sweet spot (with the exception, as you said, of the last fight, which felt more like a prelude to a final fight instead of an actual finale fight). I actually think that, if you'd wanted to, you could have added an extra battle set inside the castle itself before moving to the puzzle, using the lessons you'd learned from the drawbridge fight to compose something closer to your intended vision.

I'll echo Flare's sentiment about variety, but I think part of that came from the pictures--the actual variety in the enemies themselves was pretty decent. Quick tip for the future: if you know you're going to have a lot of identical enemies across multiple battles, consider taking multiple pictures of them and using a different pic for each fight--it'll reduce the staleness factor without too much overhead. :wink:

As far as loot...frankly, I don't think anyone thinks they get it right--both players and QMs seem to only notice when loot is either too generous or too stingy. I feel like I lean a bit towards the former (probably from getting stiffed so thoroughly as a player in certain past battles :poke: ), but it's extremely difficult to know for sure. If I had to give an opinion on 109's loot, I'd say the weapons/Artifacts were slightly on the stingy side, but the consumables and gold definitely made up for it; if anything, though, gold and consumables are the direction in which you should err. :thumbup:

Overall: great job! Can't wait to see in which direction you decide to branch out from here. :sweet:

I really enjoyed you quest Emjajoas; despite the hole of a few days, it has gone on a regular basis and I think this is one of the most important things regarding a enjoyable quest. I liked the story (I never thought that the Marquis would have killed her friend and witch :laugh:), as the setting and the characters, I hope one day to be back in Redstone with you as QM! :sweet:

I think the battles were ok, interesting but not too long, if they are too long I think they became boring and uninteresting (A Huge thank you to Docken for helping me and avoiding I do terrible mistakes!) The loot was ok too, I hope no one is upset fo my loot divisions! :classic:

I've learned my lesson for next time, though.

Not choose Docken as a party member? :tongue:

Alexander Vandangant (Wedge09): You were a good party leader, and great to have along. :thumbup: It would've been nice if you had been a little more active(not that you could have been. Hell, it's mostly my fault for moving it along at too swift a pace), but you were there when you needed to be, and Alexander voiced his opinions when it mattered. Overall, I'd say Alexander was great to have on the quest; he led the party well, he interacted a little with the other party members, and he had his own drive. However, I owe you an apology for pushing things along despite you not being around, but I felt the need to wrap up the quest-- I'm honestly really sorry for forcing things along. Great having you on board, though!

Thank you for your kind words! The problem, from my perspective, were the timezones: in my timezone, you replay around 1 am and 3 am, and in this time, I was sleeping, sorry! :blush: In any case, not this, nor the rush end, changed my opinion about your quest! :classic:

Dreamscape was great Emjajoas. It was a great introduction for me to the world of Heroica, and it definitely made me want to go on more quests. I thought the battles were good as well. They didn't drag on too long, but they were quite challenging for me, as in some rounds I had to sit out due to low health. Luckily I got a lot of triple shots to help me through.

The quest was fun outside of battle as well. It was fun finding out what each area was like. I was very surprised that the dangerous camp was actually Knockers shop. I thought the twist at the end of the Marquis being in the dream optionally was interesting. I had been preparing for a huge final battle with the witch, so I was surprised. I couldn't really make any impact at the end though due to not having diplomacy.

Overall I really enjoyed #109, and I hope to be in one of your quests again.

Glad to see everyone enjoyed the dream world, it grew on me over time as I was building it. I wanted to aim for something distinct but not fully flushed out as if the world only existed as far as the marquis had explored. You did a wonderful job hosting Emjajoas, my only two things were the loot (takes practice getting the right amount of drops) and the similarity of some of the battles (unavoidable given your story). Other than that, it's been amazing seeing how this quest grew from your original idea to the quest it became. It was a pleasure working with you. :classic:

Thank you for your kind words! The problem, from my perspective, were the timezones: in my timezone, you replay around 1 am and 3 am, and in this time, I was sleeping, sorry! :blush: In any case, not this, nor the rush end, changed my opinion about your quest! :classic:

Yeah, time zones can be an issue, especially in Mafia. It can be pretty frustrating when nothing seems to happen all day when I'm online and then everything seems to happen at night. I'm actually really surprised how quickly #36 moved back in the day because we were located in such different corners of the globe.