• Althior Emorith
    , Level 17.5 Sage (K-nut)

• Alexis Fenral
    , Level 19 Evoker (Masked Builder)

• Xander Unth'or
    , Level 12 Barbarian (posades)

• Thothwick
    , Level 14.5 Rogue (Professor Flitwick)

"Chaos..." There it was again. "For two years, as I traveled from my land, I heard naught of Chaos. I thought it a concept known only to my people, from the Era of Darkness before my family rose to its strength. But since coming to Heroica, I have heard it spoken of many times, and entire Quests have been devoted to its end. What is this force? All teachings of it were forbidden to my friends and I when we were young. Why? Why does it hold such sway over the hearts and fears of men?"

Chaos. The act of dissorder. Of disnormality. The sence of something totally wrong. I slowly turn to face Arthur. I did not realise just how great a force it was until coming here. Obviously the place reeks of it- the entire city seems to be in shambles half the time, and it's own Town Watch is corrupt- but that wasn't what awoke me. Nay, it was the Dark lady Wren. She feeds on it. She obeys its will- it's her Master. She capitolizes on it, bends it to her will. She has created beasts that fight with chaos. Clearly, such a force must be stopped... but how does one fight chaos? Dissorder? The very act of war is that which it feeds on! With every beat it only grows stronger! Yet Wren must be defeated. It's absolutely vital. The future of Eubric wrests on this unstoppable force being stopped! And she will be stopped. If I have anything to say about it, Wren will die. Be it by my hand, or someone else's. Wren. Must. Die. Ori'dush! Enteyor! Ash'amur!

I blink a couple times, then calm down.

IC: Although I dearly wanted in on Quest 29, I thought it'd be good to have a back-up plan to fall down on. Thus, I also sign up for Quest 32, Quest 29 taking priorty over 32.

edit

Chaos. The act of dissorder. Of disnormality. The sence of something totally wrong. I slowly turn to face Arthur. I did not realise just how great a force it was until coming here. Obviously the place reeks of it- the entire city seems to be in shambles half the time, and it's own Town Watch is corrupt- but that wasn't what awoke me. Nay, it was the Dark lady Wren. She feeds on it. She obeys its will- it's her Master. She capitolizes on it, bends it to her will. She has created beasts that fight with chaos. Clearly, such a force must be stopped... but how does one fight chaos? Dissorder? The very act of war is that which it feeds on! With every beat it only grows stronger! Yet Wren must be defeated. It's absolutely vital. The future of Eubric wrests on this unstoppable force being stopped! And she will be stopped. If I have anything to say about it, Wren will die. Be it by my hand, or someone else's. Wren. Must. Die. Ori'dush! Enteyor! Ash'amur!

I have heard many a tales of this Dark lady Wren. This time, i simply cannot keep my mouth shut.

"I've heard many detialed recounts of this... Wren. Yes, some sifting through the archives has given me info on most of what she has said. And I must say this: What a twisted fool, hiding under false composure." I fail to mention I hide under composure too, but for different reasons. "She seaks to put a leash on Zoot the Forsaken, claiming she will become the Master of Zoot? Not even the divine pantheon could do such a thing - Old folk saying: you can grab on to the devil, but you can't hold him long."

I extend my hand.

"My name is Sorrow, by the way. Apolgoies for butting in like that. :blush: ".

Edited by Endgame

Some beings funny.

Chaos is illusion. Cronk think everything happen for reason. Just because one being cannot tell what that reason is all the time, not make it chaos. Only wisest of beings are able to see even half of what makes world work. Things not visible can still exist. Cronk have faith that Heroica is where Cronk should be and that helping other beings is what Cronk should do.

Skrall is right about the balance of Eubric. May be delicate but there is purpose there. Just like there is purpose for every hero in hall.

"Chaos..." There it was again. "For two years, as I traveled from my land, I heard naught of Chaos. I thought it a concept known only to my people, from the Era of Darkness before my family rose to its strength. But since coming to Heroica, I have heard it spoken of many times, and entire Quests have been devoted to its end. What is this force? All teachings of it were forbidden to my friends and I when we were young. Why? Why does it hold such sway over the hearts and fears of men?"

IC: De'kra commented from whereever he was in relation to Arthur, "Chaos as far as I know equals disorder, at least in this world. Back home foes could create disorder through amplify emotions, but that not here but there. I not exactly sure why the great taboo though, I mean yes Wren evil of highest order and need to see through Olisi, and this city so unbalanced you choke on it, but chaos not necessarilly bad. Like how order not necessarilly good. Absolute order leave no freedom, like dictatorship. Things tend to go bad when people go to extremes balance key. If Wren try to unleash total chaos, she insane or idiot. Not just because of logic flaw of course."

De'kra sighed to himself, reflecting on the importance of balance. Freedom is born of chaos, of not being restricted. But at the same time without order one has no limits and is empty of styructure. And as an amnesic De'kra appreciates structure.

Edited by Tanma

Skrall scratched his head, he hadn't thought about it much before, hadn't needed to. "I guess it would be what ya consider the opposite of order, the things workin' the way they shouldn't, destruction, pandamonium, no right or wrong, black nor white, an absense of peace, and all that calmness mumbo jumbo they talk about in the Temple of Ennoc. Fer me it's simply things workin' the way they should. I shoot an arrow, it flies straight and true it lands where I aim it, mind you assumin' there ain't any wind, no one's disrupted me shot, and no mage is fiddlin' with the bolt. Bother, I'm too old fer this high minded philosophyin', why don't ya ask yer master, I'm sure a great sage like him has the answers to the universe thus far. All I know is from my experience with Wren, she claimed to be an agent of chaos and what I saw of the results was enough to set me against her."

I blink a couple times, then calm down.

Arthur frowns. "Can she not be brought to see the error of her ways? The elders of my land were priests of Zoot, before they forsook the old ways. Do they, too, deserve death?" It took Arthur a moment to realize the flaw in his argument. "Then again, they were the ones responsible for my...departure...on second thought, feel free to apply that sentiment to them."

I have heard many a tales of this Dark lady Wren. This time, i simply cannot keep my mouth shut.

"I've heard many detialed recounts of this... Wren. Yes, some sifting through the archives has given me info on most of what she has said. And I must say this: What a twisted fool, hiding under false composure." I fail to mention I hide under composure too, but for different reasons. "She seaks to put a leash on Zoot the Forsaken, claiming she will become the Master of Zoot? Not even the divine pantheon could do such a thing - Old folk saying: you can grab on to the devil, but you can't hold him long."

I extend my hand.

"My name is Sorrow, by the way. Apolgoies for butting in like that. :blush: ".

Arthur takes it. It feels surprisingly cold, but he thinks nothing of it. "Arthur. Arthur Justus Regulus the Seventh, Mage of Heroica. Nice to meet you. I take it you have some personal experience with followers of Zoot, then?"

Some beings funny.

Chaos is illusion. Cronk think everything happen for reason. Just because one being cannot tell what that reason is all the time, not make it chaos. Only wisest of beings are able to see even half of what makes world work. Things not visible can still exist. Cronk have faith that Heroica is where Cronk should be and that helping other beings is what Cronk should do.

Skrall is right about the balance of Eubric. May be delicate but there is purpose there. Just like there is purpose for every hero in hall.

"I admire your faith, sir Cronk, even though I do not share it. Granted, Chaos itself, I feel, must be vastly misunderstood, for what reason is there for rational beings to suffer such fear of anything? But decay seems to be the nature of our world. Our purpose is to create, to make new friendships and bring some small measure of joy to our own corner of the world. It is not for us to change the universe, just our part of it. The grand scheme of things I leave to the priests and clerics, and those who dedicate their life solely to pondering such mysteries." He pauses a moment. "I suppose both our views accomplish the same purpose, simply from different methods of approach." He chuckles. "A Knight and a Mage may both strike a bandit. Either way, the wrongdoer is dead."

IC: De'kra commented from whereever he was in relation to Arthur, "Chaos as far as I know equals disorder, at least in this world. Back home foes could create disorder through amplify emotions, but that not here but there. I not exactly sure why the great taboo though, I mean yes Wren evil of highest order and need to see through Olisi, and this city so unbalanced you choke on it, but chaos not necessarilly bad. Like how order not necessarilly good. Absolute order leave no freedom, like dictatorship. Things tend to go bad when people go to extremes balance key. If Wren try to unleash total chaos, she insane or idiot. Not just because of logic flaw of course."

De'kra sighed to himself, reflecting on the importance of balance. Freedom is born of chaos, of not being restricted. But at the same time without order one has no limits and is empty of styructure. And as an amnesic De'kra appreciates structure.

"Perhaps, then, the key lies not in stopping Chaos, but in guiding its flow. In my homeland, there exists an ancient temple, ruined, abandoned, once dedicated to the worship of Zoot. It is built in the heart of an active volcano, one that has erupted even within my lifetime. Do you know how it still stands? The builders created channels, outlets from the volcano, that guide the flow of magma to the mountain's peack and the lava from its peak to the ground, avoiding the temple and its myriad catacombs entirely. The cooled lava, when gathered and ground, produces the richest fertilizer in our land, and our crops are envied among our neighbors. Though forsaking their worship, the priests of Zoot retained their knowledge, and created an empty moat along the edge of our village, the side facing the river, so that when it floods the water drains into the moat and, from their, through a series of tunnels beneath the town, feeding all of our wells. A volcanic eruption, a catastrophic flood--both are embodiments of chaos, and both, when brought into control, give life to my people. Perhaps this is the way to deal with this Lady Wren as well."

Arthur frowns. "Can she not be brought to see the error of her ways? The elders of my land were priests of Zoot, before they forsook the old ways. Do they, too, deserve death?" It took Arthur a moment to realize the flaw in his argument. "Then again, they were the ones responsible for my...departure...on second thought, feel free to apply that sentiment to them."

Oh, believe me, I do.

Mizuki goes up to the quest board and signs her name for Quest #32: The Lost Children

Arthur retires to a quiet corner of the Hall, and sets to work on the blank books Byblos had given him. He frowned. After muttering a few choice invectives about the quality of paper in Eubric, he emerges with a scarce few more of the precious journals. He considers his choices carefully; it will be some time before he can gather the requisite spell components to make more, and De'kra's words from earlier resonate in his mind. "Well, one thing's for sure," he says, and seeks out the Hunter, Skrall.

"Skrall, my friend, I'd like you to have this. Your insight is wise, your heart pure, and your words filled with a truth beyond just honesty. Your wisdom and advice would be much appreciated; this journal will allow us to share our thoughts with each other, though the distances be great. I hope that you are selected to Quest with me, but if we are not, I hope we can keep in touch this way."

Arthur notices Alexis sitting at the bar. He scrawls a note on some parchment--"Just in case, for you and Althior, from Arthur"--and slides it and a pair of the journals down to her. Hopefully she and his master would not be separated again, but if they were, the pain would, hopefully, be somewhat lessened. He looked down into his pack, and contemplated who the final few journals should be given to.

Skrall looked up from his ram-horn pipe. He gazed at the bound manuscript before taking it and stowing it in his satchel. "Thank ya, young Arthur. I'll look after the book and if ever the occasion should arise that I can offer assistance I'll do my best. I'm hopin' as well to be off on a quest again soon, my gold's startin' to run low and well an any day now I'll be expectin' a visit from one of those collectin' agencies from back home."

"Yes, it is odd to be so limited in wealth. Back home, my family always had more than enough money, mostly because we could make almost anything we needed, and Father could Quest through the other Planes for the rest. Most of the time we loaned money to others; being in need of gold is a strange sensation for me, to say the least."

"Planes, so ya grew up on a meadow of sorts? Ya always struck me as more of the Tower dwellin' kind. Yes, there's nothin' like workin' fer yar own needs to teach ya the really important things in life, the rest is just frilly hats and baubles on the sleeves. Speakin' of frills and such, I heard ya've become the apprentice to the Mage Althior, ya going to be followin' in his footsteps in Sagery one day?"

Edited by Waterbrick Down

"Planes, so ya grew up on a meadow of sorts? Ya always struck me as more of the Tower dwellin' kind. Yes, there's nothin' like workin' fer yar own needs to teach ya the really important things in life, the rest is just frilly hats and baubles on the sleeves. Speakin' of frills and such, I heard ya've become the apprentice to the Mage Althior, ya going to be followin' in his footsteps in Sagery one day?"

"No, sir! A simple Scroll of Sealing renders them helpless! No, I'm more inclined to follow a different path. Battle Mage is not for me, no offense to any Heroes who have taken that class, for me it's between Mystic Knight, Evoker, and Sorcerer. I've seen what Alexis can do with her elemental summons, and it is most impressive, but I fear that the creatures I would summon would not be nearly as impressive. I'll probably train to be a Mystic Knight or a Sorcerer.

My village is too close to the volcano for true towers to be built, but the mansion was big enough, and had a wonderful Library--though it pales in comparison to our own. Heroica could make a fortune if they opened a dimension gate here and fortified the Nether route to my village--we get all sorts of arcane travelers in my land. A lady in black seeking the 'wisdom' of our elders, a green-skinned witch seeking new wares, a elven mage who spoke of "soul splices" and other such arcane mysteries--that one taught me a most useful spell called "explosive runes". It is somewhat difficult to use as a true weapon, but when an annoying monk gets too uppity in their letters to you, well..." Arthur blushes. I'm an adult, I really should be done with such tomfoolery. "Anyhow, our region has much fertile farmland, but those were not the Planes I spoke of. The Planes are..." Arthur stops suddenly. "Well, uh, it's kind of complicated. Are you familiar with the mystical uses of fractal unconformities in microarcane spatio-temporal applications?"

Skrall chuckled, "Hold on, hold on, ya lost me at fractal young sir. Ya know what never mind... ya can't teach an old Ogre new tricks ya know. I'll just leave the dimensional hocus pocus to you youngsters." Skrall drew on his pipe letting out a sour smelling smoke ring that wafted toward the ceiling.

"Sorcerer eh? Have ya by any chance met the dark mage En Sabah Nur? He and I quested a while back and I heard tell he had gone into that sort of thing."

William overhears Arthur talking about Planes and butts in, "I think he's talking about other dimensions in line with ours, the Planeswalkers can cut glowing ovals in the air and leap into another realm/dimension. Was your family one of Planeswalkers of the other realms Arthur? They are some of the most wily and cunning magic users if they can planeswalk."

William overhears Arthur talking about Planes and butts in, "I think he's talking about other dimensions in line with ours, the Planeswalkers can cut glowing ovals in the air and leap into another realm/dimension. Was your family one of Planeswalkers of the other realms Arthur? They are some of the most wily and cunning magic users if they can planeswalk."

Arthur looks up in surprise. It is rare indeed to encounter another who knows of his family profession, it was a most rare and arcane art. "Yes, indeed, most of my family line has taken up the trade. I'm afraid I don't know about glowing ovals in the air, though--our family, through careful alchemy and the use of arcane ritual and magically imbued scrolls, built a number of Gates in our realm, through which the proper arrangement of elemental keys will open gateways to other worlds. My father created a very special gate, one that relied solely on combinations of symbols, but that gate had other...difficulties...attached to it. Rarely have we ventured through it. I am the first of my line to have magical abilities of my own, you see, so all of our preparations were based on the clever use of the many magical materials available to us. All that stopped, though, after my father's latest tryst with the Zeigfried witch was revealed. You say the planewalkers you speak of can cast gate spells anywhere they wish? How do they overcome the Dyson-Milner parallax effect? Or are they limited to plane-shifts between dimensions with geostationary transit kinesis? Please, tell me more!"

"Ah, to overcome these difficulties, Planeswalkers have had to make some small sacrifices, the warp stones from the caves of Ilu Dorvis have properties which are known to be capable of transporting matter from one place/dimension to another. By harnessing these stones, Planeswalkers could transport a maximum of two people including themselves. The only setback to this was that their ether would slowly be expended each planeswalk and can only be replenished by meditating in one of several monasteries in the mountains towards the far North. If they keep on planeswalking after their ether was used up, the warps would use up their life force. Planeswalkers were some of the shocktroops used in the invasion of Chaos-occupied worlds. Teams of Planeswalkers would warp in and set up dimension gates which will transport the Imperium in to fight. Many incidents of Planeswalkers using their life force up have been recorded, some exploded into warp matter and scattered into the air while some turned to stone after their final warp. A dangerous profession, planeswalking is." "As to the glowing ovals, the Planeswalkers had to wield a stave or a sharp warp stone infused weapon such as a scyth which would literally cut a temporary hole in the dimensional fabric enabling them to planeswalk."

Edited by VolcanicPanik

Drake was standing by the quest board, looking at the parchment that was "advertising" quest 32. "Is this quest about rescuing children?" Drake asked himself. Then he burped again and then yawned, and fell asleep on the floor.

Pushing aside an unconscious 'hero', Galen approaches the Quest board and signs up for Quest #32: The Lost Children.

Arthur notices Alexis sitting at the bar. He scrawls a note on some parchment--"Just in case, for you and Althior, from Arthur"--and slides it and a pair of the journals down to her. Hopefully she and his master would not be separated again, but if they were, the pain would, hopefully, be somewhat lessened. He looked down into his pack, and contemplated who the final few journals should be given to.

Alexis watches as Arthur slides her two books, one for her and one for Althior. "Arthur I do not believe we've ever met officially, my name is Alexis Fenral, Evoker."

Arthur takes it. It feels surprisingly cold, but he thinks nothing of it. "Arthur. Arthur Justus Regulus the Seventh, Mage of Heroica. Nice to meet you. I take it you have some personal experience with followers of Zoot, then?"

IC: Oh boy, time to dredge up some unfortunate memories.

"I was friends with a follower - before he was a follower, that is. My father, the Head Necromancer of the Waldurk Necromancy guild, brought me back in one of his rituals. He had finally perfected the spell, and I looked like your average human on the outside. He took me as his own kin and raised me. one of his assistants, a descendant from the dark druid of the orcish invasion. He was a kind enough soul, and very charitable. His knowledge of the arcane was immense, and he was a Runemaster. One day, he found a sinister black temple in his daily forages in the forest. He entered, not knowing this was the place where Zoot the forsaken was worshipped.

Curiosity killed the cat - or rather, made the cat deranged and homicidal. Whatever fate he met in that forsaken place drove him mad - he acted like he heard the words of Zoot himself. Dedicated to disorder and murder, he eventually endangered the entire guild with his antics. When "dad" confronted him, he went off the deep end, and branded a sealing rune across his back. A normal sealing rune doesn't last too long - but if branded on, the effect is practically permanent. Any attempt to summon ether made by my dad would just result in excruitating pain.

I went berserk and and killed the one who branded him. From there, I set out to journey the world and search for a way to remove the rune. Without father's ehter, i would remain alive, but my human facade would fade, leaving me looking like a generic undead.

I lifted my hood in shame to show my less than pleasant face. I quickly put it down to spare anyone who would happen to glance in my direction.

Eventually, my travels led me to here, and I continue to search for the solution to my problem.

Why would I do THAT? He asked a simple question, and I poured out my life story. I suppose I did go 400 years without vneting, though...