Sandy

Heroica RPG - Heroica Hall

Arthur hand over 5 Gold and carefully pulls out the shovel. As he extracts the tool, he could swear he sees a skeletal hand grab for his arm.

"Uh...Cinna...do you have something...alive...in there?"

"WAIT! Grab the shovel not the broomstick! Mauryl, come on out nobody will hurt you here." A strange broomstick flies out of the pack and whizzes around Cinna's head making strange sounds. "This is Mauryl, she use to be a witch but Baba turned her into a broomstick and made her <loose her mind> a bit. She stays with me now."

heroica-babasbroomstick.jpg

"WAIT! Grab the shovel not the broomstick! Mauryl, come on out nobody will hurt you here." A strange broomstick flies out of the pack and whizzes around Cinna's head making strange sounds. "This is Mauryl, she use to be a witch but Baba turned her into a broomstick and made her <loose her mind> a bit. She stays with me now."

heroica-babasbroomstick.jpg

Arthur, who had raised the shovel like a shield at Mauryl's sudden appearance, lowered it hesitantly. "Uh...hello...Mauryl. Erm, nice to meet you." Arthur turns back to Cinna. "She turned her into a broomstick? Blimey, how on Olegaia did you manage to get away from her? Were you shipped home as a crate of perfume or something, and the Zeigfrieds transformed you back?"

*snip*

"Hello there Mauryl. Poor girl, I hope she's alright."

Mizuki walks up to Drake and says "Do you want to fight in the arena later ?" before downing a glass of beer.

"Thanks for the concern. She is not alright, unfortunately and there doesn't seem to be a way to reverse the spell. She seems happier with me though, and begged me not to take her back to Baba. We did not try to fight that evil witch, especially once we learned of what happened to Mauryl here. She was only stopping by Baba's hut to have tea and cake!"

"Good gods..." Arthur is shocked into near-silence. "Although..." he adds, "if she truly is this powerful, she may be a useful way to...dispose of other threats to our land. Alone, or in small groups, we stand no chance against a being of such power. If all of Olegaia's other threats were removed, and we all could focus our attention on one foe together, maybe--just maybe--we could pull it off..." Arthur seems to no longer be speaking of Baba Yaga, but of some other foe. He returns his attention to the Hall, where Mauryl nearly skewers him as she flys around. Arthur resumes speaking to Cinna. "But those are just the idealistic rantings of a young fool. I'm sure that the next time you two meet, you shall be the stronger."

Looking around, Arthur sees neither De'kra nor Atramor. "Say, where did De'kra and Atramor get off to? I was hoping we could all sign up for Quest 31 together, I think we would make an amazing team."

"Ah, I had forgotten about that. It's strange that the House most similar to me is the enemy of the House that respects me. Perhaps in the future we can Quest together to reconcile the two." Arthur attempts to appear jovial, but fails to completely hide his distress. This means his friend De'kra cannot participate in the Quest, either. "Ah, well, at least Atramor might be able to Quest with me," he murmurs softly. "And, of course, we can keep in touch via these journals while we are apart." Arthur appears troubled. Excuse me for a moment, I must consult the Quest board."

Arthur approaches the Quest board, and observes the current sign-ups for Quest 31. "Tarn Valco...Amorith Marvelo...Galen Woodward...Thothwick...I'll have to look out for all of them, try to make their acquaintance. I should probably speak more with Skrall and that Dak Shadeaux fellow as well. What the--" Arthur sees his name scribbled carelessly on the sign-ups for Quest 30. He quickly scratches it out. "Carelessness..." he mutters, walking away.

A man in white and purple, with matching glasses and an enormously bushy beard, steps up to the Quest board, accompanied by a quiet-looking man in a suit.

DSCF1522c.jpg

"Hah! He's taken his name off. I told you 'e would! Well, we can't have that!" Holding up a scrap of parchment torn from an official-looking document, the man carefully copies Arthur's handwriting back on to the Quest sign-up sheet. "Come on. We don't want him to spot us. Not yet..."

As the boisterous, bushy-bearded man slips back into the shadows, his companion remins for a moment in silent contemplation.

DSCF1524b.jpg

"..."

Waving his hand just above the surface of the sign-up sheets, he stands back a moment to observe his work. The freshly-applied ink has faded from the sign-up sheet of Quest 30, so that Quest 31's sign-up will be noticed first. He glances over and sees, with some dismay, that this effect has also affected Arthur's sign-up for Quest 29, so that Quest 29's sign-up will only be noticed after the other two. He appears worried, as this was not quite what he had in mind, nor, he knew, what Arthur would want, but, having no alternative and seeing his presence drawing the attention of the Heroes, he quickly retreats back into the shadows from whence he came.

OOC: Just to clarify, the priority is: Quest 31, if not, then Quest 30, if not, then Quest 29. I wanted an in-character justification. :laugh:

Edited by Flipz

"Yes, very colourful indeed."

Hoptet, oblivious to what Thothwick and William were referring to, continued the conversation. "You and Schrooft friend? Quest sound dangerous."

"Hmm... so Ms. Cinna is consorting with witches and weapons traffickers? My my. I'm sure you can try and barter for her helmet, though we went through quite a fight to get it, I doubt she'd relinquish it."

"No, Hoptet, Schrooft was in a plot to kidnap a boy for a cult of PirateNinjaTemplars who spoke in an archaic accent."

"Weapons traffickers and witches? Is she one of them women of questionable character? Like a Lady of the Night? Fascinating."

"No, Hoptet, Schrooft was in a plot to kidnap a boy for a cult of PirateNinjaTemplars who spoke in an archaic accent."

"Weapons traffickers and witches? Is she one of them women of questionable character? Like a Lady of the Night? Fascinating."

Hoptet, confused by the term 'PirateNinjaTemplars', turned to Thothwick with a furrowed brow. "Translate?"

"Bad people, kidnapping children. Like Baba, the witch of the Bog."

"So... no friend?" Hoptet corrected himself, trying to be amusing in his broken English.

"Certainly not a friend!" Thothwick scoffed, at the indignation of Hoptet's suggestion.

Turning back to William, Thothwick answered William's second question. "I'm not sure. On our Quest, I found Ms. Cinna to be an upstanding leader, and a genuinely decent Human. Though, I'd assume she did earn the title 'the Dark' for a reason."

Hoptet, confused by the term 'PirateNinjaTemplars', turned to Thothwick with a furrowed brow. "Translate?"

"Bad people, kidnapping children. Like Baba, the witch of the Bog."

"So... no friend?" Hoptet corrected himself, trying to be amusing in his broken English.

"Certainly not a friend!" Thothwick scoffed, at the indignation of Hoptet's suggestion.

Turning back to William, Thothwick answered William's second question. "I'm not sure. On our Quest, I found Ms. Cinna to be an upstanding leader, and a genuinely decent Human. Though, I'd assume she did earn the title 'the Dark' for a reason."

"Indeed, she does lean towards a more dark aura rather than a halo and feathered wings." William gets a drink from the bar, "Right, does Hoptet know or do anything besides healing people? He's a Druid, right? So aside from cutting mistletoe with gold sickles and brewing potions for indomitable Gauls. Can he shoot a bow or any other Ranger-y thing?"

Edited by VolcanicPanik

"Indeed, she does lean towards a more dark aura rather than a halo and feathered wings." William gets a drink from the bar, "Right, does Hoptet know or do anything besides healing people? He's a Druid, right? So aside from cutting mistletoe with gold sickles and brewing potions for indomitable Gauls. Can he shoot a bow or any other Ranger-y thing?"

"First I cleric, then druid. In Salmanda, Cin and Bar, -"

"That's Ms. Cinna, and Mr. Docken" Said Thothwick, clearing the confusion at the mispronunciations of the names.

- lend me weapons on Quest. I heal most than I fight.

"What about you, Mr. Harkenshire? What do you plan to have the Copper Fox teach you, in order to add to your Ranger repertoire?"

"First I cleric, then druid. In Salmanda, Cin and Bar, -"

"That's Ms. Cinna, and Mr. Docken" Said Thothwick, clearing the confusion at the mispronunciations of the names.

- lend me weapons on Quest. I heal most than I fight.

"What about you, Mr. Harkenshire? What do you plan to have the Copper Fox teach you, in order to add to your Ranger repertoire?"

"Ah, when I eventually reach that standard, I wouldn't mind being a Warden. My religion (not the Eubric ones mind you) looks favorably among the ones who can fight in any situation. Plus having a shield would be nice."

"I, Mizuki Kimura (zakura), would like to challenge Drake Flamerobe (xxlrocka), to a duel!"

"Do you accept ?"

~A new quest has been posted on the Quest Board (#32 by Rumble Strike)!~

"Ah, when I eventually reach that standard, I wouldn't mind being a Warden. My religion (not the Eubric ones mind you) looks favorably among the ones who can fight in any situation. Plus having a shield would be nice."

"Ah, like Mr. Docken has become? Very well, I imagine you'd be quite the force to reckon with. Our faith is not one of the Free Port deities."

Hoptet, managing to keep track of the conversation, chimed in with his beliefs, bowing his head as he did so. "May Orang Pendek guide us."

"What is your religion, Mr. Harkenshire?"

After many months, Ad-Hoh enters Heroica Hall once more and signs up for Quests 29, 30, 31 and 32 in an eager attempt to find more work.

Dak walks over to the Questboard, sees a new, Quest, but decides to leave it for others to go on. Checking to make sure his sign-ups were in order, he reads the Quest #31 description. "Oh, shit," he says, quickly scratching his surname off and replacing it with an old alias, Nikolus. He then walks over to Arthur. "You were on the previous Lion Knight Quest, correct? Exactly which family are they allied with?" Dak speaks, thinking to himself: Not Hinckwells, not Hinckwells, not Hinckwells.....

Mizuki walks up to Drake and says "Do you want to fight in the arena later ?" before downing a glass of beer.

"Sure!" Drake said. Then he let out a loud burp and ran outside but before that he said "I've got to do some business.".

Dak walks over to the Questboard, sees a new, Quest, but decides to leave it for others to go on. Checking to make sure his sign-ups were in order, he reads the Quest #31 description. "Oh, shit," he says, quickly scratching his surname off and replacing it with an old alias, Nikolus. He then walks over to Arthur. "You were on the previous Lion Knight Quest, correct? Exactly which family are they allied with?" Dak speaks, thinking to himself: Not Hinckwells, not Hinckwells, not Hinckwells.....

"Well, they are officially allied with the Hinckwells, though I have attempted to disabuse them of the notion that the Hinckwells are any less corrupt than they consider the Shadeaux to be. I think I may have gotten through to their lead Engineer, Count Knyghton, but..." he scowls at the Quest board. "...apparently not to the rest of them." He sighs. "Eubric would be a much better place if the Lion Knights were a House of their own; they are noble, loyal, and honest to a fault. Although, from what I gather, the Hinckwells, the Shadeaux, and all the other Houses, save perhaps the Wolfgang, began that way as well, and their own power corrupted them." Arthur contemplated in silence for a moment. Seeing other Heroes draw near, he posed a general question to them all. "My fellow Heroes, what do you think Eubric would be like if all of the Houses lost their power?"

"Well, they are officially allied with the Hinckwells, though I have attempted to disabuse them of the notion that the Hinckwells are any less corrupt than they consider the Shadeaux to be. I think I may have gotten through to their lead Engineer, Count Knyghton, but..." he scowls at the Quest board. "...apparently not to the rest of them." He sighs. "Eubric would be a much better place if the Lion Knights were a House of their own; they are noble, loyal, and honest to a fault. Although, from what I gather, the Hinckwells, the Shadeaux, and all the other Houses, save perhaps the Wolfgang, began that way as well, and their own power corrupted them." Arthur contemplated in silence for a moment. Seeing other Heroes draw near, he posed a general question to them all. "My fellow Heroes, what do you think Eubric would be like if all of the Houses lost their power?"

"Fricking..... Damn it. Had to be Hinckwells, didn't it. I was sort of hoping that it would be some other house that, you know, doesn't hate my guts, but guess not... Eh, the rewards are good, and as long as I keep up my alias I should be okay. That is, if I get picked. I dunno what would happen if the Houses lost their power....well, for one thing I would have a lot less enemies. But other than that....you know, I think that they're all that keeps Eubric, and the rest of the country, for that matter, from falling apart. If they were gone, things would either be perfect, or chaos. One of the two."

Skrall was musing over a tankard of warmed cider as he heard the Arthur pose his question. "Politics," he thought to himself, "looks like we've got an anarchist on our hands." Skrall thought about his older brothers and the Orc Liberation movement, they didn't care about houses only results. Skrall remembered family gatherings when his older brothers would fight with his younger siblings who attended the university and talked about philosophy, altogether it had bored Skrall but he decided to speak up anyway.

"I think you would see us ridden into the ground tryin' to hold everythin' together. The houses are the planks that keep this ship of a city afloat, the Town watch is a joke and it's we are the tar and pitch that keep the planks and boards stuck together. Do away with the houses and chaos would rule, I'm as much against the back dealin's and corruption that's sure to be lurkin' within the closets of the houses but compared to the alternative, I'd rather have a quest to do here and there over a tryin' to keep peace amongst thousands of individuals."

Edited by Waterbrick Down

Skrall was musing over a tankard of warmed cider as he heard the Arthur pose his question. "Politics," he thought to himself, "looks like we've got an anarchist on our hands." Skrall thought about his older brothers and the Orc Liberation movement, they didn't care about houses only results. Skrall remembered family gatherings when his older brothers would fight with his younger siblings who attended the university and talked about philosophy, altogether it had bored Skrall but he decided to speak up anyway.

"I think you would see us ridden into the ground tryin' to hold everythin' together. The houses are the planks that keep this ship of a city afloat, the Town watch is a joke and it's we are the tar and pitch that keep the planks and boards stuck together. Do away with the houses and chaos would rule, I'm as much against the back dealin's and corruption that's sure to be lurkin' within the closets of the houses but compared to the alternative, I'd rather have a quest to do here and there over a tryin' to keep peace amongst thousands of individuals."

"Fricking..... Damn it. Had to be Hinckwells, didn't it. I was sort of hoping that it would be some other house that, you know, doesn't hate my guts, but guess not... Eh, the rewards are good, and as long as I keep up my alias I should be okay. That is, if I get picked. I dunno what would happen if the Houses lost their power....well, for one thing I would have a lot less enemies. But other than that....you know, I think that they're all that keeps Eubric, and the rest of the country, for that matter, from falling apart. If they were gone, things would either be perfect, or chaos. One of the two."

"Chaos..." There it was again. "For two years, as I traveled from my land, I heard naught of Chaos. I thought it a concept known only to my people, from the Era of Darkness before my family rose to its strength. But since coming to Heroica, I have heard it spoken of many times, and entire Quests have been devoted to its end. What is this force? All teachings of it were forbidden to my friends and I when we were young. Why? Why does it hold such sway over the hearts and fears of men?"

"Chaos..." There it was again. "For two years, as I traveled from my land, I heard naught of Chaos. I thought it a concept known only to my people, from the Era of Darkness before my family rose to its strength. But since coming to Heroica, I have heard it spoken of many times, and entire Quests have been devoted to its end. What is this force? All teachings of it were forbidden to my friends and I when we were young. Why? Why does it hold such sway over the hearts and fears of men?"

Skrall scratched his head, he hadn't thought about it much before, hadn't needed to. "I guess it would be what ya consider the opposite of order, the things workin' the way they shouldn't, destruction, pandamonium, no right or wrong, black nor white, an absense of peace, and all that calmness mumbo jumbo they talk about in the Temple of Ennoc. Fer me it's simply things workin' the way they should. I shoot an arrow, it flies straight and true it lands where I aim it, mind you assumin' there ain't any wind, no one's disrupted me shot, and no mage is fiddlin' with the bolt. Bother, I'm too old fer this high minded philosophyin', why don't ya ask yer master, I'm sure a great sage like him has the answers to the universe thus far. All I know is from my experience with Wren, she claimed to be an agent of chaos and what I saw of the results was enough to set me against her."

"Ah, like Mr. Docken has become? Very well, I imagine you'd be quite the force to reckon with. Our faith is not one of the Free Port deities."

Hoptet, managing to keep track of the conversation, chimed in with his beliefs, bowing his head as he did so. "May Orang Pendek guide us."

"What is your religion, Mr. Harkenshire?"

"My faith predates the ones here, centuries ago, the Emperor Sigmar led his forces against the armies of Chaos and Arcane. Upon defeating the evil, he was struck with a mortal blow and as he died, he sat on his throne giving his remaining energy to his subjects to aid them in their battle against Chaos. He still sits there today, as the never-ending war between Holy and Arcane rage on." "That is my religion, I believe in the Imperium."