Sandy

Heroica RPG General Discussion

3 hours ago, CMP said:

I have some basic ideas of a new game as well but I think it's difficult to overstate how much time and effort things like that involve - it's been a hell of a ride Sandy, and I don't think anyone could've done a better job driving such an enormous game single-handedly for five years while also managing mechanics, angry players, and, right, the entire main storyline all at once. :laugh:

Thanks for all the time you've put forth into this awesome experience. :thumbup:

Same here.  I just never got around to the actual mathematics of the game.  Some could argue it is like AG but I beg to differ.

1 hour ago, UsernameMDM said:

I'm actually hosting/playing a game based off of Heroica with a group of friends.  It's a GREAT, simple yet complicated system.

Thanks for everything Sandy!  It's been a great 5 years.

That sounds cool, is it played on another website or what?

Edited by Goliath

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

That sounds cool, is it played on another website or what?

Yes.  Group of friends who can't actually ever get together for a game night, so we are doing it Heroica style!

Judging from the responses, we ought to keep on the path we're going with new game management. I'd love to help implement the story ideas you had, Sandy. Perhaps not in the form of hosting a quest but planning and stuff like that. 

I propose we at least give some mod powers to a few people in this form so we can start cleaning up important topics (right now a lot of the links don't work and some formatting is still off). I'd be happy to help with that, but in general I would nominate the likes of Zepher, CallMePie, and WBD as the "old guard" to be in charge of manager stuff, if they were up to it. I guess Dragonator hasn't responded on this yet but that would be my suggestion.

On 9/23/2016 at 6:14 PM, Zepher said:

If we do get those line breaks, and then go through and delete them all, and they remain, any solutions then?

Got it.  Have to delete all the way so that they share a line and then press enter again... but you can't miss a single line in the whole post or everything below it is out of whack.  Lots of other new stuff to learn (how to indent, how to remove quote tags?) but at least I can attempt to move forward now.

I tried this on Jinnipher's stats page but pressing enter still automatically puts in the weird double-space. Is there any way to remove it from the formatting entirely?

It seems like I just got lucky that time through - I think if you format off a picture that was already there it'll go back to the old line system (it happened in my most recent post too) but if not it still goes with the new one.

The mods said they wanted to fix it, but that it is low on their list of priorities, which seems fine to me.  It's a pain for us, but I can understand how it's not such a big issue on the rest of the site.

I'm definitely interested in still continuing to play and would be glad to help out from a game management standpoint where ever needed.

Sandy, as I said in the past, you created a fantastic game and I hope we continue to honor your vision throughout the future of the game.

We all knew this day was coming ever since the announcement, but I guess I didn't expect it to come this soon. Sandy, I don't think I, or the community as a whole, can thank you enough for the game you've created and fostered over. It's really been a wild, fun couple of years with you at the helm, and I can't thank you enough. This community won't quite be the same without you. Thanks for a wonderful five years, Sandy, you've earned every commemoration you've been given! :sweet: 

As for the game, I'm still interested in playing. There's a few things I need to wrap up in terms of quests, and I still enjoy playing my characters. 

On 9/27/2016 at 1:08 PM, Zepher said:

I still intend to finish up my storyline, if that's possible, but after that I don't know if people will have interest or energy for me.  I've tinkered a bit with a new game, but I don't know if there'd be interest in starting all over again either, or if Eurobricks is interested in making that happen.  My method would involve more than one "Game Master", so that this wouldn't happen.  :blush:

Sandy, thanks so much for the wonderful years.  It has been an absolute pleasure, and I'm sorry to see your time end, though I totally understand.

6 hours ago, JimBee said:

Judging from the responses, we ought to keep on the path we're going with new game management. I'd love to help implement the story ideas you had, Sandy. Perhaps not in the form of hosting a quest but planning and stuff like that. 

I propose we at least give some mod powers to a few people in this form so we can start cleaning up important topics (right now a lot of the links don't work and some formatting is still off). I'd be happy to help with that, but in general I would nominate the likes of Zepher, CallMePie, and WBD as the "old guard" to be in charge of manager stuff, if they were up to it. I guess Dragonator hasn't responded on this yet but that would be my suggestion.

I tried this on Jinnipher's stats page but pressing enter still automatically puts in the weird double-space. Is there any way to remove it from the formatting entirely?

53 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

I'm definitely interested in still continuing to play and would be glad to help out from a game management standpoint where ever needed.

Sandy, as I said in the past, you created a fantastic game and I hope we continue to honor your vision throughout the future of the game.

Yeah, I definitely think that we don't just put one person in Sandy's place, no one can handle that kind of burden on their own.  Honestly, I think something akin to the way we already handle the Fields of Glory would be the best plan--that way, when someone gets burned out or is already handling a bunch of other stuff, there's others around to pick up the slack. :classic:

I definitely wouldn't want to start over.  As much fun as has been had in the early days (and as much easier as it was to just make stuff up without worrying about it contradicting something else that's been established :blush: ), having looked back recently I have to admit it was kind of a mess. :blush:   In a weird way, Sandy caught lightning in a bottle--I don't know if it could be recreated again.  Maybe a specific reframing--a timeskip or a prequel game or something along those lines--but then again, events like CAT and Quests like 38 and 107 (107 was the rediscovery of the Imps Quest, right? :blush:) have shown that we are capable of exploring those sorts of possibilities even within our current continuity.

...to be honest, I mainly want to avoid that awkward period where half of us had bizarre soap opera-esque side-storylines about our own characters that had nothing to do with the Quests at hand but got shoehorned in anyway (like the stupid Caroline stuff I just re-encountered while looking in the Hall for the reference to the Bric'bay time warp :wall:). :blush:

Hmm...I wonder if auto-merge is still a thing?  Only one way to find out (apologies in advance if it turns out to not be a thing anymore :blush:).

Oh gods...reading through the back-history of the Hall...So.  Much.  Cringe. :wall:

Oh hey, auto-merge IS still a thing!  Excellent. :classic:

Ohhh boy.  Some of these memories though.  @swils, remember when you and I and CJP and...who was the last one, Dannylonglegs?  Or was it Doc?  Anyway, remember that time when we figured out how to generate literally infinite gold in the Fields of Glory using the Sword of the Vampir, two Healing Staffs, and the old Sorcerer SHIELD-roll and gold-earning rules?  Good times, good times. :snicker:

I'm also perfectly happy to keep going, and as long as the duty was spread around I'd be happy to do a portion of the administrative stuff.  I even had some ideas of how to cover some of the Sandy mythology that I knew was coming.

And @Sandy (this feature will be used and abused!) thank you so much for the years of fantastic games.  Hopefully you can step down as Game Manager but stay on as an active player - I don't know if you know this, but Heroica is pretty fun when you don't have to worry about all this extra junk!  Obviously do what you'd like, but I think we'd all love to continue to host Ellaria and Quintessa if they stick it out.

Oh, man.  Now that was some top-level theorycrafting.  In retrospect, it's probably a very, very good thing that the change on Steal went through.  Guts definitely wouldn't have had the fattest wallet around anymore! :laugh:

I've been out of Heroica a while, I wonder if one of you really nice folks could take a look at my stats and make sure I updated the numbers correctly? Pretty please?

Looks mostly good - that +2 on your power should be +5 because your Anniversary Medal's gotten stronger. I'm not sure where that extra 1 ether is coming from, if it's from a consumable you should note what it is and where it came from.

Also, as a Mystic Knight you should pick up a shield. 

You totally have a shield already. :blush: But, since you're over level 20, you're able to equip three artifacts now, so you might want to throw one of your extras on. :thumbup:

Edited by CMP

Cool, thanks @CMP I'm suppose to remember where all these stats came from?? I only had put permanent/equptment related stuff in there initially and not consumables stuff...but I can't recall where that +1 came from. Might be best to just remove it unless i get time to go check all my old quests.

Just now, Darkdragon said:

Cool, thanks @CMP I'm suppose to remember where all these stats came from?? I only had put permanent/equptment related stuff in there initially and not consumables stuff...but I can't recall where that +1 came from. Might be best to just remove it unless i get time to go check all my old quests.

We update them after every quest now, I'm not sure when the big change happened in relation to when you last played. I also feel like those permanent bonus consumables have gotten a lot rarer recently. In either case, I doubt that +1 will matter all that much anyhow, especially being that it's on ether. 

I think Darkdragon was even one of the ones who suggested the change, but I may be wrong. :grin:

46 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

I think Darkdragon was even one of the ones who suggested the change, but I may be wrong. :grin:

I did suggest the initial thread, but you could be right. That was many moons ago.

Heya guys, can anyone that has standing trades with Guts or Calamity or has debts outstanding or incoming or wants to do a new trade get it sorted with me in the hall? As I can't see myself playing Heroica (as much as I'd like to) in the foreseeable future I'd prefer to have everything sorted out as much as possible. :classic::thumbup:

On 9/26/2016 at 7:49 PM, KotZ said:

Very nice, Flipz. Are you using LDD into Bluerender and then another program? Or LDD to Blender or something? I think the lamps could have a little more glow to them, though.

Sorry for not answering this earlier!  I am indeed using Bluerender, which has options for custom lighting via the scene.sc file.  It's basically the same as the Blender renders I used to do, but now with Bluerender the trial and error of placing and coloring the lights only takes a few hours per shot, instead of the days it used to take.

Anyway, while we're waiting for 150 to wrap up, why don't we have another preview? :wink:

28931431900_e05a2363a7_c.jpg

4 hours ago, Flipz said:

Sorry for not answering this earlier!  I am indeed using Bluerender, which has options for custom lighting via the scene.sc file.  It's basically the same as the Blender renders I used to do, but now with Bluerender the trial and error of placing and coloring the lights only takes a few hours per shot, instead of the days it used to take.

Anyway, while we're waiting for 150 to wrap up, why don't we have another preview? :wink:

Ah, ok. I'm assuming it says over in the LDD subforum how to do that. I'll certainly have to try that out. And great work with that new preview!

On October 4, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Waterbrick Down said:

Sure what do you need?

I was thinking an Aoi ranger, not a treehugger, preferably with NRG Jay's head