Sandy

Heroica RPG General Discussion

4 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

How many story lines do we have?  I'm in.

Well the fate of Eubric is the big one. Xu, Baltarok, and Dastan have smaller things going on, but I don't think they're as pressing. Of the remaining QM's I can't speak for KotZ as to where his story is at, I always figured Zepher might want to wrap up his as well.

I know I've been quiet, but I'm still around and up for anything you've got to throw at us. :thumbup: 

8 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Well the fate of Eubric is the big one. Xu, Baltarok, and Dastan have smaller things going on, but I don't think they're as pressing. Of the remaining QM's I can't speak for KotZ as to where his story is at, I always figured Zepher might want to wrap up his as well.

I knew Zepher has some loose ends, and I thought you did as well.  I would love for Hoke to be in both if possible.  

11 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

This is the last quest in the Tridentia arc.

5 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

I knew Zepher has some loose ends, and I thought you did as well.  I would love for Hoke to be in both if possible.  

Most of my quests are one-offs, no big things to tie up.

2 hours ago, KotZ said:

This is the last quest in the Tridentia arc.

Good to know, thanks. :classic:

The necromantic cult Amber Makepeace was a part of is still kicking around.

Well maybe we should asked where did everyone go? Did they leave because Sandy left? 

Plus, I was wondering would it help if the "rules" was put in some sort of text form.  Instead of having it in a picture that no one can see. 

Well, if there are no quests, and when the peeps i usually talk to in the Hall are on a quest, there isn't a whole lot for me to do. But I for one am still looking forward to new quests. The round-up quest sounds good!

18 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Well maybe we should asked where did everyone go? Did they leave because Sandy left? 

Plus, I was wondering would it help if the "rules" was put in some sort of text form.  Instead of having it in a picture that no one can see. 

There's probably a lot of reasons for the decline that have compounded over the months.

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

There's probably a lot of reasons for the decline that have compounded over the months.

Sandy quitting, the same QMs running quests, the quests getting harder to manage because of OP PCs, a few prominent/previously energetic players quitting around the same time, etc.

Edited by UsernameMDM

Just now, UsernameMDM said:

Sandy quitting, the same QMs running quests, the quests getting harder to manage because of OP PCs, a few prominent/previously energetic players quitting around the same time, etc.

All of these. While a very good game I don't think any of us ever thought it would go for six years. The game in some ways wasn't built for that, mechanically speaking. On the bright side it's been a really amazing experience and I think it will serve as the foundation potentially for something greater maybe down the road.

17 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

Pretty much. The reason I stopped QMing was QM fatigue.

12 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

All of these. While a very good game I don't think any of us ever thought it would go for six years. The game in some ways wasn't built for that, mechanically speaking. On the bright side it's been a really amazing experience and I think it will serve as the foundation potentially for something greater maybe down the road.

Totally. I'd very much enjoy working on a potential sequel, either direct or in spirit to Heroica whenever the time comes. :classic: 

I think one of the big issues was Sandy's control over the game, as it both helped the game flourish, but also was the most stagnant part of the game. His "main plot" was the core thing moving world forward, even if the heroes did other things. Without Sandy, I feel like that plot's kind of gone away in favour of other things. Whatever comes next, I think Heroica 2.0 needs two admin roles: a Rules Master to enforce, clarify, and rectify rules, and a Lore Master, to enforce a canon and ensure verisimilitude in the created world. These two could run quests pertinent to the world to help establish it, and run major arcs happening in the world, but it would allow other QMs to create overarching plots, so that ultimately players don't feel left out for not being "in the loop" of a main plot. I feel like having one big arc ultimately hurt the game more than it helped.

Honestly, I might just post a post-mortem on my thoughts of what I would do for Heroica 2.0, but I'll wait until the final quest to wrap up.

I'd love to see a definitive finale for Heroica, and I'd be willing to help as I can.

And, yes, I have been lurking these past few months. :tongue:

Edited by Endgame

I remember there being talk of a sci-fi version, and I definitely will participate in whatever comes after Heroica, but man, the fatigue is no joke.

On 10/7/2017 at 11:23 PM, Endgame said:

I'd love to see a definitive finale for Heroica, and I'd be willing to help as I can.

And, yes, I have been lurking these past few months. :tongue:

Thanks Endgame, there is probably room in this ending for your dragons, I'll PM you.

8 hours ago, KotZ said:

I remember there being talk of a sci-fi version, and I definitely will participate in whatever comes after Heroica, but man, the fatigue is no joke.

Yeah, QMing really is demanding. Unlike a traditional RPG where there are resources for DM's to use, Heroica QM's are required to come up with and balance custom monsters, abilities, treasure, on top of the story. There are no pre-written modules in this game. :laugh:

30 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Yeah, QMing really is demanding. Unlike a traditional RPG where there are resources for DM's to use, Heroica QM's are required to come up with and balance custom monsters, abilities, treasure, on top of the story. There are no pre-written modules in this game. :laugh:

I wonder if that is something we can work on for 2.0.

1 hour ago, UsernameMDM said:

All comes down to system, because there is so much customization of builds within Heroica, it is difficult to prescribe a system for encounter design. The closest thing we have to that is the Fields of Glory and even then with predefined monsters, it can still be difficult trying to figure out how many to send against a party.

2 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

All comes down to system, because there is so much customization of builds within Heroica, it is difficult to prescribe a system for encounter design. The closest thing we have to that is the Fields of Glory and even then with predefined monsters, it can still be difficult trying to figure out how many to send against a party.

The wikia really helps, but there's just not enough content (my own fault too).

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

I know you and a couple other QMs had actual formulas for this, but the main problem with encounter design was the OP PCs.  I think that is the problem that needs to be focused on.  I couldn't imagine trying to QM for Hoke.

1 hour ago, UsernameMDM said:

I know you and a couple other QMs had actual formulas for this, but the main problem with encounter design was the OP PCs.  I think that is the problem that needs to be focused on.  I couldn't imagine trying to QM for Hoke.

Exactly, early level PC's the calculations aren't bad, but once you've got heroes at high levels with 4-5 pieces of custom magic items unique to their build, it becomes really difficult and more of a trial and error approach.

16 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Exactly, early level PC's the calculations aren't bad, but once you've got heroes at high levels with 4-5 pieces of custom magic items unique to their build, it becomes really difficult and more of a trial and error approach.

It became too much, so much so, that QMs had to come up with near indestructible encounters that often times negated certain classes' special abilities.  It began to suck the life out of the game for many players when that happened I believe.

Just now, UsernameMDM said:

It became too much, so much so, that QMs had to come up with near indestructible encounters that often times negated certain classes' special abilities.  It began to suck the life out of the game for many players when that happened I believe.

When Immune to All Negative Effects started to roll out, I know a lot of people were miffed, particularly debuff spell casters like myself.

8 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Indeed.  Pretty sure I am botching the megablocks outa that right now.

On 10/6/2017 at 10:32 PM, samurai-turtle said:

Been hoping for that as well.

If there is a grand finale for Heroica, I will most certainly take part and help in any way I can.