Sandy

Heroica RPG General Discussion

Really enjoying with what is going on in the hall, it's absolute anarchy at this point. I hope I'm not getting too carried away with the whole self-righteous former pirate type of character. :look::grin:

Im the exact opposite. I'm much happier being able to search directly for the thing I want to know, rather than have to search "effects" to find a given effect's properties. Meanwhile, if I'm on a page that has something I don't know (a piece of armor that has Transcended on it, let's say), I can always just click the "Transcended" link from that page, and learn what it does, and that way, each Object with Transcended on it doesn't have to re-explain what transcended is/does.

For me, I prefer a happy medium. For a lot of things, I do like being able to click on links to go to their own articles for more information; on the other hand, having articles that are too short can just end up cluttering everything up. In some cases, I think we have page lists that are too long ("effects" would be a good example), but at the same time having a page for every single item on that list is too much (i.e. no need for Hastened and Transcended and Blessed to all have their own pages--a single page on "positive effects" is enough).

One thing that can help a lot is headings. ==Heading== creates a top-level heading, with ===heading=== and ====heading==== and so on producing progressively smaller sub-headings. Each of those headings becomes its own section, which you can then link to by putting a hash (#) followed by the section name (so, on a theoretical "Positive Effects" page, you could link to [[Positive Effects#Transcended|Transcended]] to link to Transcended directly, with the pipe symbol (|) being used as a way to change the text of a link. (The stuff before the pipe is where you're actually linking to, while the stuff after is what's being displayed; it works similarly to URL tags here on Eurobricks.)

The fifth anniversary of Heroica RPG is upon us, and I have some major news concerning that. So please stay tuned!

I haven't been active these last few months, but I do pop in sometimes to see what's going on. I felt I needed to log on to congratulate you on the 5 years anniversary, Sandy. As many others have said here, you did a terrific job during all those years, managing a lot of Heroica stuff on your own. I hosted 1 small quest and another botched one and I already had my hands full with that, so yeah, I tip my hat to you for your effort :wink: .

Thanks for the incredible experience, I had a blast playing here and being part of a bigger world :thumbup: .

Frankly I think this thread needs to be separated. One thread to talk about peopls opinion of a pictular Quest. And the other thread talking about how to run a quest. Because how it is run right now, any one new to wanting to host a quest is probably a little intimidated. Since any information they might need is buried in this thread some where.

:hmpf: The search button up top + a little bit of time invested can yield great results. For example, by searching the thread for "Balance", I narrowed a 151 page thread down to 7 pages of results, and there are several posts within that which directly address your most recent question. Took me all of five minutes to scan the results and find that information.

:hmpf: The search button up top + a little bit of time invested can yield great results. For example, by searching the thread for "Balance", I narrowed a 151 page thread down to 7 pages of results, and there are several posts within that which directly address your most recent question. Took me all of five minutes to scan the results and find that information.

:wacko: 7 pages for actually Quest Masters help. That leaves 144 pages for opinions on quest. That right their should tell you that the thread is out of balance.

(And no I did not use the search function. I am using the "mobile version" of this site. Call me lazy if you want, I probably will agree with you.)

Seven pages of results for a single word. There's nothing out of balance about it. The thread is there for, and I quote,

In this topic, you can learn and discuss about hosting quests in the Heroica RPG or get public feedback to your own ideas for a quest

The point is simply that it is already easy enough to find the information you're looking for within the thread. In fact, with a little searching before hand, you would have seen your own question, regarding stats, answered several times already over the years. It's a popular question because that is, I believe, one of the more intimidating aspects for a new host -- trying to make the battles appropriately challenging.

The reason there might be seven pages of results is also because there have been many different QMs and players over the years, all with opinions on the same stuff. I've read people's thoughts on other quests and found them useful in planning my own. Oftentimes the balance of battles is discussed after quests. Reading the players and QMs thoughts after they've played through a quest would probably be useful.

Most of that seems to come under the story telling part of the quest. If you wanted to improve that part of quest mastering. Maybe their should be more of a general guide on how to run a quest. And if you had a technical question it could be ask there, (like for pictures or enemies level).

Really enjoying with what is going on in the hall, it's absolute anarchy at this point. I hope I'm not getting too carried away with the whole self-righteous former pirate type of character. :look::grin:

Same! always love some spice, otherwise it can be rather repetitive. "__ Signs up for __" x 50.

Most of that seems to come under the story telling part of the quest. If you wanted to improve that part of quest mastering. Maybe their should be more of a general guide on how to run a quest. And if you had a technical question it could be ask there, (like for pictures or enemies level).

I think it might be helpful to have a second thread as you said, however the first page has most of the general information required, I'd almost see a happy medium being to simply add the handful of equations i was just given in the thread to that front page. (Super helpful by the way guys thanks!)

I personaly am ok with one thread, but only if the first post(s) are updated with appropriate information as it comes out. If people stay on top of updating the guide at the front, than people won't have to search as much and/or potentially repeat questions.

This goes for all threads where rules are involved.

Edited by Comrade Commander

I had been completely gone the whole summer from EB and Heroica scene, so i don´t all what has happened. My question...

*Ah, yes before I forget, a huge thanks to Sandy for running times great game for 5 years. :sweet::thumbup:*

Question is about the Fields, is there any party going to go after the current one? Keliim would be intrested in trying his luck.

Yes, I know. :classic: But as I have been away I wanted to know if there was a gathered party already scheduled.

But yes, Keliim will make somekind of notice of looking for a FoG party :wink:

I'd love to go on a FoG party with Keliim. I'm thinking of switching Kiray from BK to Warden to try out the crossbow from the anniversary.

Just want to say I designed the quest before I picked the party... so though it seems that Matthias knows everyone, that's just because I repeat characters and he's been on... two quests with me now? Three?

Always love throwing in Everyman. :blush::tongue: This brings his appearances up to seven, which I think probably tops any of my other NPCs...

Haha, well hopefully Darksten can join more of your quests then so he can feel a little bit smarter!

It's been fun so far, so no worries. Lol, though I apologize to my counterparts...

...that moment when you're in the middle of revising Quest plans, and you suddenly realize something you hadn't planned for but nonetheless falls perfectly into place.

...I'm really exited about these upcoming Quests, you guys. :classic:

Just want to say I designed the quest before I picked the party... so though it seems that Matthias knows everyone, that's just because I repeat characters and he's been on... two quests with me now? Three?

It would be fun to be on one of your quests again. You have many instore still. :tongue:

#Filpz What did you mean, you know something we others don't or are you just being sarcastic :tongue: :tongue:

Edited by Mencot

I have a hard time even telling what parts are used. There is some shredder in there, and a blue face. but hmmmm. That is what happens when someone takes an icon and makes it full screen.

I have a hard time even telling what parts are used. There is some shredder in there, and a blue face. but hmmmm. That is what happens when someone takes an icon and makes it full screen.

Part of the problem is I took the picture with my cellphone. As for the unknown parts, the head is a Stone Demon from "Ninjago", the body/legs are Jay's deep-stone style (from Ninjago) everything else is Shredder sans the weapons.

AuPkwWK.png

Thanks, for the help. Now to copy and paste some things.

nifty little build.

Thanks, I think so too.

While I have your attention (and I think this has been brought up before) you need to label your weapons better. Na'im (Enceladus) is probably a little confused about your "broomstick". It could look like it does 4 times the damage to "humanoids". I can see where someone might think that.