Sandy

Heroica RPG General Discussion

Ah who says. :tongue:

I think the game could easily still survive down a house or two. Don't any of you watch Game of Thrones. :laugh:

But I'm mostly just playing Devil's Avocado.

Ah who says. :tongue:

I think the game could easily still survive down a house or two. Don't any of you watch Game of Thrones. :laugh:

But I'm mostly just playing Devil's Avocado.

Keep saying that when you can't get to your Expert Classes. :tongue:

If the houses were to be shaken down, I'd want certain house members to bite the figurative bullet, not the entire house. Maybe once Eubric turns into French Revolution Paris, maybe, but until then let's not totally wipe out houses ala that one house in Game of Thrones. :laugh:

Keep saying that when you can't get to your Expert Classes. :tongue:

If the houses were to be shaken down, I'd want certain house members to bite the figurative bullet, not the entire house. Maybe once Eubric turns into French Revolution Paris, maybe, but until then let's not totally wipe out houses ala that one house in Game of Thrones. :laugh:

That's what I'm thinking as well. It should be a big deal when one person dies (we're STILL feeling the effects of Reno's death).

Oh, I agree! I just think it's time to throw in another death - Bonapartes had Reno (which I'd argue was really just a status quo death, though the heroes did choose it) and House Ji Pei has been radically changed with Shaxanian losing her legs, Legonardo leaving and Jun swearing off his swords. I'd like to see even more of that! The Hovels were blocked off over the course of the game, which I think has more implications than we've explored as a group. And Patricia seized power, which I think was big. But we haven't had a bloody coup yet (again, suppose it could have been Reno). That's a more radical, and more of a left turn without killing a whole house. :thumbup:

Really, the Ji Pei are most easily my favorite house at the moment, and I think it's BECAUSE we've seen what the radical changes they've experienced have brought out in them. Dastan is another good example - the very first thing time we went there we saw a radical change, and all the quests following that have dealt with the fall out, and have always been impressive in my opinion.

On a totally unrelated note, just noticed Purpearl edited in her second side-quest from 102 (so long ago now). If anyone wants to see some low level Wolfgangers hanging with Purpearl, or see Severen beat the crap out of a hero, I advise giving it a read!

I think if a House were to die, it would probably be the Bonapartes. Unlike, say, the Ji Pei with Hybros or the Guild of Invision with Guts, we haven't really seen them reach out to Heroes and form personal bonds (I mean, hell, the only player who's actively shown interest in Cannoneer just perma-killed her character, and I highly doubt any new contenders will be coming along soon), nor have they been portrayed in a particularly positive light. They always seem to be the first House people point to when the issue of "Houses are evil and cruel to the common people" comes up (i.e. in the Wolfgang plot). Thus, it would make sense for them to be the first target of the Wolfgang, which I think is what we're seeing in 119. What I expect to see in the wake of such an even, no matter which side Heroica ends up on, however, is the dark side of their choice; if the Heroes choose to preserve the Bonies, I expect them to come down hard on the city, launching a bloody and near-dictatorial purge of as many of their detractors as humanly possible, whereas if they kill the House off I'd expect to see crime and piracy shoot up drastically in Uland and the surrounding areas. As far as the fate of the Bonapartes go, no matter what happens--win, lose, or status quo--the city loses.

Lyren and Nuitan In Quest #???: The Red Wedding. :grin:

I think a shift of power could be neat, but I don't think we need to full on eliminate one of the house of power, but if one lost some power, that could prove interesting. If Quest #120 had gone the other direction with the party turning their backs on Shanxian, the Ji Pei would lose credibility and power in the city with the loss of its Matriarch and the Tritech corporation. This would supply the death/loss that Zeph was talking about without eliminating the house altogether. We'd still be seeing Jun and Lee struggling to have power over Eubric. And with the Ji Pei no longer being capable of being Xu's ambassadors, the influence of the Ji Pei in the city would decrease drastically. On the other hand, this could lead to much more power in the hands of the Bonapartes. There would be a definite shift in power over the city, but the houses would still all be there.

Bluurgh. I hate Stunned. It's so freaking obnoxious to keep track of. :laugh:

I'm currently contemplating which quests to launch next, and this discussion has certainly opened my eyes to what people want. :devil:

I have a few more short, "we haven't really seen much of this NPC yet" quests, but after that, it might be time to roll in the big guns. :wink:

Don't any of you watch Game of Thrones. :laugh:

House Targaryen and/or Greyjoy FTW, woooooh! :grin:

Heroica-related: have Bonaparte ever done anything useful? They always get pushed aside or get killed. House Bonaparte has got to have the weakest guards of all the Houses :tongue: . With enforces another point raised here, Bonapartes are the House most busy with dealing with "haters".

EDIT: Where do Counterstrike Gloves come from? Fabian doesn't sell those. Were they a Quest-specific item/reward?

Edited by Khorne

One of the other houses I don't see much point in are The Ziegfrieds. They don't do anything important for the city but at the same I time I don't see a reason why the people would hate them.

EDIT: Where do Counterstrike Gloves come from? Fabian doesn't sell those. Were they a Quest-specific item/reward?

Look again. :tongue:

heroica-counterstrikegloves.jpgCounterstrike Gloves (If the wearer is damaged by a Free Hit, they counter with strength equal to their level; handwear.) Costs 80 gold.

One of the other houses I don't see much point in are The Ziegfrieds. They don't do anything important for the city but at the same I time I don't see a reason why the people would hate them.

They are a family of powerful (and a bit lunatic) wizards, so that alone makes them both respected and feared. They are also very sequestered, so their effect on the city is not exactly clear to the outsiders. They pull their share of strings behind the scenes, though. :wink:

But I'll be exploring more of them in a few of my upcoming quests. I admit that they have probably been too distant to the heroes (other than Althior, Nyx, Cinna and Thothwick) thus far.

Look again. :tongue:

Counterstrike Gloves (If the wearer is damaged by a Free Hit, they counter with strength equal to their level; handwear.) Costs 80 gold.

D'oh :facepalm: . I meant Overkill Gloves. I had a pair of Counterstrike Gloves in the past, so I know they are sold in the Marketplace :tongue: .

They are a family of powerful (and a bit lunatic) wizards, so that alone makes them both respected and feared. They are also very sequestered, so their effect on the city is not exactly clear to the outsiders. They pull their share of strings behind the scenes, though. :wink:

But I'll be exploring more of them in a few of my upcoming quests. I admit that they have probably been too distant to the heroes (other than Althior, Nyx, Cinna and Thothwick) thus far.

Let's not forget Arthur--I plan to have him follow up on the letter he got from Valentine last year once he gets home from Xu. :wink:

In fact, considering that Arthur wouldn't exist without the Zeigfrieds, I don't think I'd be too unjustified in saying that wizard House is best pony House. :tongue:

But yes, the Zeigfrieds are in sore need of some more development. :thumbup:

D'oh :facepalm: . I meant Overkill Gloves. I had a pair of Counterstrike Gloves in the past, so I know they are sold in the Marketplace :tongue: .

I think that they were sold in an Endgame quest, and that only two are in circulation :classic:

Let's not forget Arthur--I plan to have him follow up on the letter he got from Valentine last year once he gets home from Xu. :wink:

In fact, considering that Arthur wouldn't exist without the Zeigfrieds, I don't think I'd be too unjustified in saying that wizard House is best pony House. :tongue:

I don't think Arthur has actually been on any Ziegfried quest yet, though, so his contacts with the main family are limited to the Foundation Day Ball and a few letters. :tongue:

Even though you said you were going to retire from questing for a bit, I fully expect to see Arthur on my next Ziegfried quest,. :wink:

Sounds awesome, Sandy! I wasn't really suggesting we kill off the heads of all the houses, by the way. :blush:

But yeah, would love to see the Guild and Zeigfried developed a little more, in particular how they effect the city. We've seen the people being wary of the Ji Pei, and the Bonapartes do certainly have the worst rap. The Hinckwell and Shadeaux are both rich without giving back, which isn't quite the same as the Bonapartes but still certain to anger the people. But the Guild and the Zeigfried appear to keep to themselves and appear equally able to flourish in this Eubric as in one run by the Wolfheaded Messiah. I say its time to drag them out of the shadows a little.

The Guild has the power to mass produce cures for diseases and ailments and potions that heal wounds... and proceed to sell them at so high a price they are impossible to buy for the general public. What about the common mages, who need tonics to function effectively? That stuff is expensive!

I'd love to see a quest exploring that aspect of the House.

I imagine it's kind of similar with the Ziegfrieds, they are a house consisting almost entirely of powerful mages that actively hoard powerful objects and artifacts... and we have no idea what they do with them. Necromancy isn't really a crowd-winner. I think the base of the conflict that exists is just that the Guild and the Ziegfrieds are also rich and powerful, and too many of Eubric's citizens are not.

Edited by Scubacarrot

Why does the Guild even make tonics anyway? It's sole purpose is to give ether, which they hate. Unless a Tonic is also like the real life drink.

Is there any chance someone could write some cheat sheets about the Houses?

Edited by Asphalt

The Guild has the power to mass produce cures for diseases and ailments and potions that heal wounds... and proceed to sell them at so high a price they are impossible to buy for the general public. What about the common mages, who need tonics to function effectively? That stuff is expensive!

I'd love to see a quest exploring that aspect of the House.

A Quest like that has actually been in my head for a long time. The first Quest I wanted to run was actually going to be about that, but then I chose to do a completely different Quest. The idea was that cheap knock-offs potions and stuff were flooding the market and Heroica was hired by the Guild to find the dealers, take them out and locate where the stuff was being produced illegally and then also destroy that in order to keep the price high. Needs finetuning, but that was the general gist of it.

To sell it to mages for great profit. And why would they hate ether?

Well, they do hate much. Magic can not exist without ether.(?)

Why does the Guild even make tonics anyway? It's sole purpose is to give ether, which they hate. Unless a Tonic is also like the real life drink.

I think the main conflict alchemists and mages in general is that they step into each other's territories. Alchemists are trying to do what mages do but without the need to train and study the arcane. Mages are miffed about the idea that anyone could heal wounds or rain fire upon enemies by just buying a bottle.

Mages don't really need tonics, since they can recover ether by resting, but it certainly speeds things up. And for alchemists, having something that mages want and are ready to pay for must be titillating.

Speaking of mages, I managed to write articles for most of the Ziegfrieds to the wiki today. There's some new insight on them in there, several things I have been going through my head but haven't really found a way to present yet.

Has all of the Ziegfrieds' extended family been given names? My planned trilogy/first quest was being set into motion by one of their children + their tutor.