Sandy

Heroica RPG General Discussion

What about people with a "significant other" that is an NPC??

Dyric's significant other is an NPC from a quest he was on. It doesn't get commented on a lot, which I suppose is something I should work on , but it's there.

Edited by The Legonater

Haldor's poorly-written and irritating relationship fell apart because Sisco stopped posting, but I think we're all glad of that fact.

"Look. There's supposed to be A key. Not two keys, just one key, a key that COULD fit on either side of the door. That's what a double cylinder is. Focus on finding the key, okay?"

There is no cat, there are no structural weaknesses, Atramor's lockpicking fails, he hurts his fingers trying and takes 5 damage.

I sense a frustrated QM hahaha :head_back:

Dyric's significant other is an NPC from a quest he was on. It doesn't get commented on a lot, which I suppose is something I should work on , but it's there.

Good to know.

Haldor's poorly-written and irritating relationship fell apart because Sisco stopped posting, but I think we're all glad of that fact.

Interesting. The second biggest reason I will likely avoid a relationship in game is because I'm not too good at writing them :tongue:

Interesting. The second biggest reason I will likely avoid a relationship in game is because I'm not too good at writing them :tongue:

If I ever make an RP relationship in this game, I think I'll try doing it with another player, after all, relationships aren't one sided and there are differences of opinion. You can do this with a NPC, but it seems more artificial in my opinion.

If I ever make an RP relationship in this game, I think I'll try doing it with another player, after all, relationships aren't one sided and there are differences of opinion. You can do this with a NPC, but it seems more artificial in my opinion.

The only reason I would have one in the first place would be to reveal parts of my character that would otherwise remain hidden. I think if you have that purpose in mind, then an NPC would work. If you just feel like your character needs a relationship, then yes, I think an actual player would seem much more authentic.

If you want to reveal information about your character, PM your QM to see if they could incorporate some specific RP in the quest. If they are creative enough and willing, that's a good way to reveal that information :wink:

It started out pretty soon after I joined and before I knew what I was doing - and unfortunately it seemed to cling on and survive whenever the other player posted more than once in six months. It's certainly an aspect of my character's character that those I've quested with in the past (Quest #19 mainly, sorry folks!) got tired of rather quickly. :grin:

It started out pretty soon after I joined and before I knew what I was doing - and unfortunately it seemed to cling on and survive whenever the other player posted more than once in six months. It's certainly an aspect of my character's character that those I've quested with in the past (Quest #19 mainly, sorry folks!) got tired of rather quickly. :grin:

Sounds like some actual relationships in real life :laugh:

Depends on whether it's your own NPC or someone else's. Skrall's wife is more of a backstory NPC and never interacts with him. Tarn and Ella are an example of a PC and a QM controlled NPC relationship, Nyx (PC) and XX (QM controlled NPC) are another.

Thothwick and Hoptet were the original PC & NPC couple, mind you. :wink:

Hmm, I wonder if Professor Flitwick is coming back to this game from his hiatus... :sceptic:

Hmm, I wonder if Professor Flitwick is coming back to this game from his hiatus... :sceptic:

I hope so! I'm dying for some Chilled Monkey Brains. :devil::laugh:

The only reason I would have one in the first place would be to reveal parts of my character that would otherwise remain hidden. I think if you have that purpose in mind, then an NPC would work. If you just feel like your character needs a relationship, then yes, I think an actual player would seem much more authentic.

If you've read the Theater topic, then I'm sure you've read the relationships part so I won't expound too much on the subject. The way I see things, relationships in RPing just for the sake of the trope or to reveal certain information about your character tends to come out forced. Don't plan too far ahead with your character's development, to do so isn't RPing, it's storytelling and that's more the domain of QM's. If you allow other players, quests, NPC's to have an impact on how your character grows and changes it will tend to be more realistic and natural as opposed to forced character archs. Too often great character development is discarded because it doesn't necessarily "fit" what the player had originally preconceived for their character.

The puzzle is completely solvable with the hints provided, the normal puzzle would be slightly different (the question would not be: Who is the Jailer, but would have been, who is the human, but that makes no sense in this context, so it got changed and made it so less steps had to be taken to solve everything. The pre-battle banter from the guards also could have given some minor clues. :classic:

So... Einstein's Riddle. Yeah. Here's some information on the solution.

I call foul, I'm sorry. You can't give us a list of clues and expect us to just ignore some of them. How on earth did you think we would be able to deduce it just because the clues didn't specifically say hobgoblin? It talked about Common Room, spear and Rio being on the first spot, too, and I for one really tried to make everything match (having done this type of puzzles before), but there just wasn't enough info (and yes, I did take the pre-battle banter into consideration).

It was not solvable with the hints provided, it really wasn't.

The whole premesis of the puzzle was off, too, since you expected us to deduce that a jailer had the sole key to a lounge. :hmpf:

I'm not bitter, but on the other hand I am a bit - just because I love this type of puzzles. :laugh:

I call foul, I'm sorry. You can't give us a list of clues and expect us to just ignore some of them. How on earth did you think we would be able to deduce it just because the clues didn't specifically say hobgoblin? It talked about Common Room, spear and Rio being on the first spot, too, and I for one really tried to make everything match (having done this type of puzzles before), but there just wasn't enough info (and yes, I did take the pre-battle banter into consideration).

It was not solvable with the hints provided, it really wasn't.

I ripped the puzzle straight from another website after solving it myself first. It's doable. You can't solve it, maybe. :shrug_confused:

I did read somewhere only 2% of people would be able to solve that type of puzzle. While I really question that percentage, maybe you're part of the 98%. :tongue:

The whole premesis of the puzzle was off, too, since you expected us to deduce that a jailer had the sole key to a lounge. :hmpf:

Where did you get lounge from?

I got the hint. No more puzzles. I support my puzzle though, and the fact that it is solvable. For whatever that is worth.

Used it for a lack of better word. The guards weren't lounging off in a jail, that's for sure. :wink:

They're just guys having a drink. I don't see any jail bars or prisoners. :laugh:

EDIT: Never mind, misread "July" as "June". :wacko:

Edited by Flipz

It is the breakroom. Strivvian Guards have unions too.

Exactly. You expected us to deduce that a jail key opens the breakroom door. The building isn't a prison in the first place, it's a club.

But this is getting ridiculous, so I'll just let it rest.

Thanks for the puzzle, in any case, I always love to take a crack on those!

I ripped the puzzle straight from another website after solving it myself first. It's doable. You can't solve it, maybe. :shrug_confused:

I did read somewhere only 2% of people would be able to solve that type of puzzle. While I really question that percentage, maybe you're part of the 98%. :tongue:

I got the hint. No more puzzles. I support my puzzle though, and the fact that it is solvable. For whatever that is worth.

I think the puzzle was definitely solvable. The only stretch was that the jailer would have the key, other than that, it was fine. I didn't have Skrall attempt it for in character reasons, but I was slowly solving it as soon as someone passed him the note under the door. I like puzzles and think you should keep them in. More to say after the quest is done though. :classic:

Exactly. You expected us to deduce that a jail key opens the breakroom door. The building isn't a prison in the first place, it's a club.

You can't expect one of the patrons to drunkenly stumble into a room filled with a bunch of unsavory guards, not to mention, there was an unattended barrel of sharp weapons in there!