Sandy

Heroica RPG General Discussion

Bah, 50% chance, and Guts will be lucky... I'll take those odds.

Edited by Scubacarrot

Bah, 50% chance, and Guts will be lucky... I'll take those odds.

Arthur'll have taken a Nostrum too, though... :devil:

Arthur'll have taken a Nostrum too, though... :devil:

Well then, Guts will take TWO Nostrums! He can afford it and does not actually owe people money. :tongue:

Well then, Guts will take TWO Nostrums! He can afford it and does not actually owe people money. :tongue:

I don't think positive effects stack. :laugh:

Man, poor little Hybros is just carrying an abundance of weapons from Zoot.

Exactly what I thought. :grin: It did offer an unexpected roleplaying opportunity, so there's that. Originally it was simply an investment (seen that way by Hybros, too), but now I can do a lot more with it than I first figured.

Question - will we be hearing more of Hybros' origins soon, JimBee? It featured heavily at first, but has (right-fully) taken a back seat. I'd love to see some of it again soon!

Yes, you will, particularly with the Ji Pei quests (if he ever gets to go on one... not that this current quest isn't great!). I've put in little things here and there, but yes I wanted to focus more on how Hybros has developed in the present, since he joined Heroica.

Seeing Guts grab the book and then toss it into the fire, Nerwen yells

CAM'WETHRIN! UTINU EN LOKRIM! DOLLE NAA LOST!

What she said. :tongue:

Though that's basically Arthur's reaction, only she's calm enough not to raise her weapon against a fellow party member. I think it's been sufficiently established that Arthur does not share that particular reservation. :tongue:

Chromeknight, what tool do you use for your Elven statements? I'd very much like to be able to read some of her native tongue. :wink:

Also, Sandy, do you think Quest 44 will be back in time for the Ji Pei Quests? Pie, with the added delay, do you think your Quest will be back in time for the last Wren Quest?

I'm delaying my Quest until Quest 44 gets back, and I suspect Quests 50 and 52 are doing the same, there's simply not enough heroes in the hall right now.

I'm pretty sure it'll be done by then, but it depends on when the sign-ups end for that Quest.

Not to get all political, but this debate seems strangely familiar to the one the Congress is having right now about taxing the rich more. I can see both sides of the coin, but in my opinion if I was rich I wouldn't mind getting taxed a bit more (i.e. less loot). Like I said, if I was Party Leader I would take the amount of Gold stolen into consideration, but it certainly wouldn't be the main point I base my decision off of. When you get that rich in one round, though, you shouldn't complain when you get slightly less loot unless you're a greedy person with no consideration for the poor people beneath you. :tongue:

You mean that's not the entire point of getting loot in an RPG? :wacko:

Interesting point. Perhaps I am letting a bit of my political/world views seep in.

But Brickdoctor's reply touches on why I think this is a recuring issue (at least for me).

Each class has a thing they 'do'.

Clerics heal, Knights block damage and Barbarians deal it. All those are for the party as a whole and are somewhat intangible.

Rangers and Mages are different flavours of damage dealing which provide options in the rock-paper-scissors game.

Rogues deal damage, yes. But they also reap gold, which is far from intangible. In fact, as Brickdoctor would attest, everything can be exchanged for gold.

Yes, I know the class players start with is entirely under their control, there is no inherent inequality. But it would be interesting to see an analysis of the dozen or so players with the highest levels and compare relative wealth vs class.

Guts has a really, really strict worldview, and unlike Cronk he doesn't bother to be diplomatic about what he says. (Note how even Cronk lost some of Arthur's respect because of this towards the end of Quest 38.) Arthur is, for the most part, on the side of Chaos, which to Guts seems to automatically mean "evil". Even if Guts didn't automatically attack Arthur for being a Chaos-aligned Mage, he would very likely say something slighting Arthur's beliefs, and (as we saw with Haldor), Arthur won't take that lying down, whether or not he's actually right.

Plus, it's more than likely that, on a Quest, Guts would do something to a rare artifact like he tried to do to the book of Chaos in the Temple of Zoot. Trust me: if Arthur had seen you do that, he would have a.) called Guts a fool for attempting to destroy Chaotic knowledge that (in Arthur's view) is inherent in the nature of the world, and then b.) laughed in his face for thinking he even had the power to destroy such knowledge.

EDIT: Arthur also doesn't take well to racial epithets, especially directed towards his friends. (Calling De'kra "demonspawn" is yet another quick way to get on Arthur's nerves.) Guts acts bluntly superior to everyone else, and Arthur doesn't like people who think they're better than others, anyway.

In short, both are characters who respond strongly, sometimes even violently about what they believe, and their beliefs are diametrically opposed. That's not going to end well no matter how you slice it. :wink:

Hmm. I read this after I posted in thread. Nerwen pretty much does call Guts a fool. But there is not so much laughing as pity, which is probably her being bluntly superior to Guts (at least on this topic,) usually it's not so blunt, she and Guts worked out some of these things on quest #13. Nerwen and Arthur together would be interesting (if #51 allows!), though I won't go into Nerwen's likely reaction to some of Arthur's choices.

Hmmm. I think we can get some awesome roleplaying out of this. :grin: Just remember, Guts can totally take Arthur. :tongue:

Mmmm.... Arena time!

I think a lot would depend on who strikes first. If Guts strikes first, having a nostrum, mead, and doubly hastened, I don't think Arthur stands much of a chance. Of course, the other way around...I think we all get the picture. :look:

What she said. :tongue:

Though that's basically Arthur's reaction, only she's calm enough not to raise her weapon against a fellow party member. I think it's been sufficiently established that Arthur does not share that particular reservation. :tongue:

Chromeknight, what tool do you use for your Elven statements? I'd very much like to be able to read some of her native tongue. :wink:

Grey company Elvish Phrases

I usually leave it untranslated and try not to say anything important in it that I don't also say in common.

For those who are both curious and lazy, [translate]Thief! Son of snakes (dishonest person)! Your head is empty![/translate]

Interesting point. Perhaps I am letting a bit of my political/world views seep in.

Hmm. I read this after I posted in thread. Nerwen pretty much does call Guts a fool. But there is not so much laughing as pity, which is probably her being bluntly superior to Guts (at least on this topic,) usually it's not so blunt, she and Guts worked out some of these things on quest #13. Nerwen and Arthur together would be interesting (if #51 allows!), though I won't go into Nerwen's likely reaction to some of Arthur's choices.

Mmmm.... Arena time!

I've sort of given up on not doing that; aside from a few very specific choices, from late Quest 31 onward I've just used my own views, tweaked to fit the world of Heroica. :grin:

Very much so. Nerwen is clearly far more complex than even I had imagined. I look forward to it. :wink:

Nah, let's just wait until Etzel's Shadeaux-Hinckwell Quest and slaughter each other there. :laugh:

...though the Arena hasn't been touched in forever...

But Brickdoctor's reply touches on why I think this is a recuring issue (at least for me).

Each class has a thing they 'do'.

Clerics heal, Knights block damage and Barbarians deal it. All those are for the party as a whole and are somewhat intangible.

Rangers and Mages are different flavours of damage dealing which provide options in the rock-paper-scissors game.

Rogues deal damage, yes. But they also reap gold, which is far from intangible. In fact, as Brickdoctor would attest, everything can be exchanged for gold.

Yes, I know the class players start with is entirely under their control, there is no inherent inequality. But it would be interesting to see an analysis of the dozen or so players with the highest levels and compare relative wealth vs class.

The Rogues' strength is supposed to be balanced by their fragility. They can't consistently attack from the Back Row like Rangers and Mages can, they can't heal themselves like Clerics can, they can't tank hits like Barbarians and Knights can, and they can't use their offense as a defense by taking their enemies out as quickly as Mages and Barbarians can.

That being said, I don't really think there's a significant difference between how often Rogues are Knocked Out as compared to other classes. It'd be interesting to see some definite stats on that, including how often they're healed or use a healing consumable compared to other classes.

That being said, I don't really think there's a significant difference between how often Rogues are Knocked Out as compared to other classes. It'd be interesting to see some definite stats on that, including how often they're healed or use a healing consumable compared to other classes.

Right, most of my money, as a Rogue and Assassin, has gone towards consumables (not just for myself; Phoenix Essences, Remedies, and Potions are used for allies as well). There does come a price for the class's advantages. It's all how you play it and how you take advantage of those things, although I've never wished to be another class because of game mechanics related reasons.

...You're unconscious, though. You rolled a shield and everything. :tongue:

Edited by Endgame

...You're unconscious, though. You rolled a shield and everything.

But Elgar's not, and Johon has the scroll too.... :devil:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

It takes a turn from both the giver and receiver to trade items, though.

It takes a turn from both the giver and receiver to trade items, though.

:facepalm: Whoops, forgot about the receiver... Blind Blade next round!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Blind Blade!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Wait, why are you trying to blind the admin of the small LEGO forum that I frequent?!?[/completelyoff-topicpun] :tongue:

Wait, why are you trying to blind the admin of the small LEGO forum that I frequent?!?[/completelyoff-topicpun] :tongue:

No, the vampire hunter :hmpf::tongue:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Also, Sandy, do you think Quest 44 will be back in time for the Ji Pei Quests? Pie, with the added delay, do you think your Quest will be back in time for the last Wren Quest?

I honestly thought Quest #44 would've ended by now, but most of the 17 players I recruited are very passive, and even the active ones are reluctant to do anything, so the quest isn't moving forward. :sceptic: This is not meant as an insult to my players, but if you are unsure about what you should be doing now, just say so.

I've dropped many hints on how to retrieve Namyrra and William, but you can always leave them behind and make your way back to the surface.

I've dropped many hints on how to retrieve Namyrra and William, but you can always leave them behind and make your way back to the surface.

So wait, if the party just leaves Namyrra and William behind, what? Are they permanently killed? :look:

Guts actually has the book.

Erm...

Trailing off, Nerwen takes a cloth scarf from her satchel and wraps the book in it, careful not to actually touch the book itself. She then stows the book in her satchel.

:wink:

"Nerwen. I heard the words of the oracle to you. I don't know if she's just a damn good guesser or I am really going to require to do some self sacrificing, but she spoke about a black grimoire and a black temple. She also spoke about a heavy price. I am not going to let you turn out like Sycamore Ziegfried."

Or she could turn out like Arthur--after all, he's read the grimoire of the Temple he explored, and we know how that affected him...

Sandy, I have to ask, did you draw on Arthur and Wren's backstories for the details of Zoot here, or is this another case where my pre-written backstory details are eerily similar to the canonical details of major plot and NPCs? :tongue::look:

Guts carefully pokes it out with his sword. and when he's sure it's cooled off, he picks it up again.

"Hm, seems useful, I can use it to shield myself from fireballs those pesky mages have a tendency of throwing at me."

:hmpf: