I already have the Fire Temple, its just that it would be nice to have extra's. And yes, it is funny that that aspect of herpetology was considered, but what if the snakes slither through the bars? :tongue:

Great how Jay Vincent and Michael Kramer got an award for their Ninjago score. :classic:

I like the new song, it´s really catchy, although the lyrics aren´t very intelligent, which is forgivable as it is a song for kids anyway. :laugh: Still, I hope to see it as the next season´s theme song.

-Gata signoff.jpg

Edited by Gatanui

But short of those two sets (the most expensive sets of the year), there are only two sets with the Dragon Sword of Fire: 9456 Spinner Battle Arena and 9561 Kai ZX.

That's not quite true. There's also the Mountain Shrine (#2254) (I'd post a Brickset link, but I don't have enough posts; besides, chances are you'll already know which set I'm talking about). Unless you only meant this year's sets? =)

Since I'm going to buy some summer sets at the local store soon, is there any below 40 euro set anyone wants me to review?

BZPower member Sumiki's blog has a report from Bricks Cascade in Oregon. Apparently, Kevin Hinkle, LEGO's community coordinator for North America, has announced that Ninjago will be ending. I'm not sure whether this means it's ending directly after this year, with no new waves of sets, or if it simply means an end is in sight, which may not be for a year or more. I'd hope for the latter, since we know that at least one more season of the TV show is planned. One more season and a wave of sets I think would be plenty to wrap up the story as it currently stands. Hopefully they're not just going to end it without a conclusion, as they did with Exo-Force.

BZPower member Sumiki's blog has a report from Bricks Cascade in Oregon. Apparently, Kevin Hinkle, LEGO's community coordinator for North America, has announced that Ninjago will be ending. I'm not sure whether this means it's ending directly after this year, with no new waves of sets, or if it simply means an end is in sight, which may not be for a year or more. I'd hope for the latter, since we know that at least one more season of the TV show is planned. One more season and a wave of sets I think would be plenty to wrap up the story as it currently stands. Hopefully they're not just going to end it without a conclusion, as they did with Exo-Force.

I think 2013 is the final year for Ninjago.

Noooo! Good thing it's sequel will be pretty cool apparently. Robot dragons anyone?

I think and hope it will end after next year. Ending the second-best-selling LEGO line without wrapping up the story would be utterly stupid and a horribly bad move by LEGO, for the fans and for themselves. I can´t imagine them doing that. Also, a third series was already announced and I´ve even already heard of when the first episode airs. I hope the successor will be good and that Ninjago will go out with a bang. :classic:

-Gata signoff.jpg

Edited by Gatanui

I am utterly surprised by this. Ninjago is doing nearly as well as Bionicle did in its first few years, and it is already being planned to end? I expect that we'll still see at least one wave of 2013 sets, but this is still the first theme-ending that I simply cannot think of a legitimate reason for. LEGO had better give me one.

Dangit! Ninjago was pretty cool. Tons of neat new figure parts, especially with the snakes. I just hope they don't stop suddenly with no conclusion. They've done that with Bionicle and Exo-Force.

I am utterly surprised by this. Ninjago is doing nearly as well as Bionicle did in its first few years, and it is already being planned to end? I expect that we'll still see at least one wave of 2013 sets, but this is still the first theme-ending that I simply cannot think of a legitimate reason for. LEGO had better give me one.

I've heard though that BIONICLE was dragged out for longer than it was actually profitable, due to TLG not including the costs of new molds and other things when measuring the theme's profitability.

Here's a news article on The Ninjago Wiki which includes some clarification from Kevin Hinkle himself about the issue. The theme will continue in 2013 but there are no plans to continue it further.

At Bricks Cascade, Kevin Hinkle also commented that when we see what it's being replaced with, we'll wonder why it wasn't ended sooner. And I can see where he's coming from with that. It's possible that the new theme moving in to take its place (and probably being a similar in-house IP with lots of multimedia promotion) will be a bit more versatile than Ninjago, which despite its zaniness is still an Asian fantasy theme, a fairly specific genre if TLG intends it to be their most heavily-promoted franchise.

By ending Ninjago in 2013, it will be a three-year theme with a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Based on what we know, it can be assumed 2013 will have a full 13-episode season, just like 2012. And given the progression of the series so far, that "end" has already been foreshadowed as the prophecied final battle between the Green Ninja, Lloyd, and his father Lord Garmadon. This means that it won't have to be rushed into a conclusion like some people feel BIONICLE was in 2010, or left open-ended like Exo-Force was in 2008.

So overall it's a bit of a shame to hear that Ninjago isn't planned for a lifespan like BIONICLE's, but at the same time this could be the best thing for the theme. We won't have to worry about the story expanding out-of-control until it can no longer draw in new fans effectively, which would be a huge risk if each story year were as in-depth as 2012 has been with its thirteen-episode season. We don't have to worry about the theme outliving its main story media, as BIONICLE very nearly did what with book sales diminishing every year. And we don't have to worry about the theme carrying on until it crosses that threshold of profitability where they have to rush it to a premature conclusion.

Meanwhile, perhaps TLG might be able to acquire a license for The Legend of Korra since they won't have to worry about it cannibalizing sales from their own in-house Asian fantasy theme. In the very least there won't be any need to worry about A:TLA or LoK Cuusoo proposals being rejected due to brand fit unless TLG introduces another Asian fantasy theme.

Ah well. It's lasted reasonably long for a non-licensed theme, compared to most others (Pharaoh's Quest, Dino, Alien Conquest, and it seems Monster Fighters). I'm glad that they are preparing its end long in advance at least, so it won't be rushed like BIONICLE's was, or just completely abandoned like Exo-Force. Gives them plenty of time to make the ending a good one.

I've heard though that BIONICLE was dragged out for longer than it was actually profitable, due to TLG not including the costs of new molds and other things when measuring the theme's profitability.

Here's a news article on The Ninjago Wiki which includes some clarification from Kevin Hinkle himself about the issue. The theme will continue in 2013 but there are no plans to continue it further.

By ending Ninjago in 2013, it will be a three-year theme with a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Based on what we know, it can be assumed 2013 will have a full 13-episode season, just like 2012. And given the progression of the series so far, that "end" has already been foreshadowed as the prophecied final battle between the Green Ninja, Lloyd, and his father Lord Garmadon. This means that it won't have to be rushed into a conclusion like some people feel BIONICLE was in 2010, or left open-ended like Exo-Force was in 2008.

That's exactly how long I'd thought Ninjago would last- three years, just like Exo-Force. Year one was the skeletons, year two was the snakes, and I'm 90% sure year three will be pirates. :wink:

I am perfectly fine with a 2013 ending for Ninjago. My sons room is already exploding with Ninjago (albeit the snakes have wandered to his sisters room, so now both rooms are filled :) ).

I do hope the premises of pirates & stone army is the real one. It sounds cool. Which could lead to another steampunkish flying boat for the pirates, some cool stone 'vehicles', skeletons & snakes had enough more or less real life vehicles, a change in that would be good to end the series. What I also like to see is one or two architecture sets with buildings, that was a clear lacking in the snake theme. The small shrines are neat, a large snake temple would be better.

I don't really mind its ending. I kinda foresaw it since pretty much every Lego theme ends (with a few exceptions) within a few years. Plus, the inevitable final battle between Lloyd and Garmadon pretty much screams closure.

The end also excites me. Hopefully, being the end and all, we'll get something even better than the Rise of the Snakes story arc (which I feel is the best out of the two arcs). And, Lego will really have to have something great up their sleeve in order to top Ninjago.

Kalhiki

Let's start saying what we want for the last few sets. As the last set for the Ninjago line, I want a giant dragon, possibly a larger version of the epic dragon, with some sort of proper blaster, and possibly a new, larger headmold. I definitely want a larger wing structure and a giant tail. And yes,

I can't wait for Lloyd NRG (which will probably happen after Lloyd battles his father, and makes him good again. Just a wild idea).
Kinda what I hope will happen as the end of the year, after which Lloyd NRG defeats the enemy together with his father. Edited by DraikNova

I haven't bought a Ninjago set...yet, but I'm kinda sad to see it ending.

That said, Hero Factory's case made me optmistic. When Lego decides to end a line, most of the time its replacement turns out to be even better.

So, I'm very excited to see what this Ninjago replacement is gonna be about.

Edited by Shakar

So, I'm very excited to see what this Ninjago replacement is gonna be about.

If it's a true replacement, probably ninja's riding robot dinosaurs. There, I called it :tongue:!

Edited by DraikNova

Let's start saying what we want for the last few sets. As the last set for the Ninjago line, I want a giant dragon, possibly a larger version of the epic dragon, with some sort of proper blaster, and possibly a new, larger headmold. I definitely want a larger wing structure and a giant tail. And yes, Kinda what I hope will happen as the end of the year, after which Lloyd NRG defeats the enemy together with his father.

Oh, might we be seeing a good Garmadon minifig? (no, we probably won't, I know - it's too obscure a character. Yet, with all the different figures we've already seen...?)

I haven't bought a Ninjago set...yet, but I'm kinda sad to see it ending.

That said, Hero Factory's case made me optmistic. When Lego decides to end a line, most of the time its replacement turns out to be even better.

I wouldn't say Hero Factory is better than BIONICLE, per se, but each to their own.

At Bricks Cascade, Kevin Hinkle also commented that when we see what it's being replaced with, we'll wonder why it wasn't ended sooner. And I can see where he's coming from with that. It's possible that the new theme moving in to take its place (and probably being a similar in-house IP with lots of multimedia promotion) will be a bit more versatile than Ninjago, which despite its zaniness is still an Asian fantasy theme, a fairly specific genre if TLG intends it to be their most heavily-promoted franchise.

So overall it's a bit of a shame to hear that Ninjago isn't planned for a lifespan like BIONICLE's, but at the same time this could be the best thing for the theme. We won't have to worry about the story expanding out-of-control until it can no longer draw in new fans effectively, which would be a huge risk if each story year were as in-depth as 2012 has been with its thirteen-episode season. We don't have to worry about the theme outliving its main story media, as BIONICLE very nearly did what with book sales diminishing every year. And we don't have to worry about the theme carrying on until it crosses that threshold of profitability where they have to rush it to a premature conclusion.

Meanwhile, perhaps TLG might be able to acquire a license for The Legend of Korra since they won't have to worry about it cannibalizing sales from their own in-house Asian fantasy theme. In the very least there won't be any need to worry about A:TLA or LoK Cuusoo proposals being rejected due to brand fit unless TLG introduces another Asian fantasy theme.

Interesting. Thank you for the new information, Aanchir. :wink:

If it's a true replacement, probably ninja's riding robot dinosaurs. There, I called it :tongue:!

The truly scary thing is Playschool already beat them to it, and literally have a line of Ninja's and Cyborg Dynosaurs on store shelves now.

I don't really mind its ending. I kinda foresaw it since pretty much every Lego theme ends (with a few exceptions) within a few years. Plus, the inevitable final battle between Lloyd and Garmadon pretty much screams closure.

The end also excites me. Hopefully, being the end and all, we'll get something even better than the Rise of the Snakes story arc (which I feel is the best out of the two arcs). And, Lego will really have to have something great up their sleeve in order to top Ninjago.

Kalhiki

Looking at it from Lego's point of view 3 years/cycles is probably perfect. They dragged Bionacle out too long and in the end it burned them. For the age groups these themes are targeting 3 years is a perfect fit. By the time the theme cycle ends your initial fans are aging out of it. It is better to catch the next group with something new than to pour more into the older theme. So 3 year bursts for the 6-12 crowd. And plan the end so you can build a story, merchandising and leave everyone satisfied. That right there corrects so many business mistakes they made with Bionacle. It made them so much money that they almost didn't notice when it wasn't until it was on the verge of being too late.

That was actually a joke, based off their abundance in video games.

Edited by DraikNova