Helicopters weren't around when PQ is set so I might suggest it could be a modern day theme to replace Atlantis. :wink:

I thought PQ was set in the 1930's? Helicopters like the Focke Wulf FW 61 were around and even if it was set in the 1920's since it's after PQ it could be set up to 10 years years later meaning a similar helicopter could be in the T-Rex set.

Edited by LEGOMAN132

If this one goes another year or 2, maybe a Plesiosaur VS. Sub, thanks to landshark for the idea! Tank VS. Stegosaurus.

Can't wait for pics, Jamie

As much as I would love that to happen, now that we know the names of the sets, it sounds like a more dino-friendly theme. Capturing rather than shooting. :sceptic:

So I don't think we'll see any VS-type sets.

We could still see a submarine with a big net cannon, in later waves. I would really like to see that. :cry_happy:

Also, I wonder what the story of the theme is going to be? Atlantis, 'Quest, and Ninjago all had a significant 'plot'.

Well Dino 2010 had the story of dinosaurs mutated FOR SCIENCE! escaping and runnon amok while the team tried to capture them. Attack was similar, just swap capture to Bring 'em down!

Adventurers Dino Island was something along the lines of they had discovered some sort of island with lots of dinosaurs on and FOR SCIENCE! they tried to catch/observe and prevent the baddies capturing them for use in evil schemes.

I expect some sort of similar lines coming here, just more developed story wise as is the current trend.

I thought PQ was set in the 1930's? Helicopters like the Focke Wulf FW 61 were around and even if it was set in the 1920's since it's after PQ it could be set up to 10 years years later meaning a similar helicopter could be in the T-Rex set.

But that wasn't a true helicopter if my memory of pre-WWII aircraft is correct.....it was an an unusual twin rotor craft based around an aircraft body.

I would feel this copter would be current or futuristic ! :wink:

We will have to wait and see ? :wink:

But that wasn't a true helicopter if my memory of pre-WWII aircraft is correct.....it was an an unusual twin rotor craft based around an aircraft body.

I would feel this copter would be current or futuristic ! :wink:

We will have to wait and see ? :wink:

You would be correct.

If it's current or futuristic I hope it's like the Sykorsky S64 Skycrane

You would be correct.

If it's current or futuristic I hope it's like the Sykorsky S64 Skycrane

Now that would be AWESOME a copter that size.....perhaps parts of Agents and Alien Conquest will come through in this new or be that recreated theme ! :wink:

As much as I would love that to happen, now that we know the names of the sets, it sounds like a more dino-friendly theme. Capturing rather than shooting. :sceptic:

So I don't think we'll see any VS-type sets.

We could still see a submarine with a big net cannon, in later waves. I would really like to see that. :cry_happy:

Also, I wonder what the story of the theme is going to be? Atlantis, 'Quest, and Ninjago all had a significant 'plot'.

Do people actually pay attention to the plot in those themes? Outside of the basic premise, that is. I never really understood the LEGO storyline aficionados. It's not exactly award-winning stuff.

Am I the only one who's glad that this is more of a dino-friendly theme? With all of the recent LEGO violence, it's refreshing.

I don't really understand the dislike of Dino Attack's 'violence' considering how most other themes have gotten about conflict anyway. Power miners had mecha fights with giant drills against giant rock monsters.

I compared the sets from dino attack and dino 2010 and I happen to like the tanks more because they seem to have better designs whereas the dino 2010 ones seem to be the same designs but stripped of detail.

My real qualm about Dino Attack was the 1-brick built dinosaurs. In Atlantis , PQ , Ninjago and even the large crystal king creatures are fun to build, so I just hope that this new dino theme has brick-built creatures.

Helicopters weren't around when PQ is set so I might suggest it could be a modern day theme to replace Atlantis. :wink:

:tongue: Whoops I forgot about the helicopters, your right.

Probably just a newish Dino Attack, along the lines of Jurassic Park.

I don't really understand the dislike of Dino Attack's 'violence' considering how most other themes have gotten about conflict anyway. Power miners had mecha fights with giant drills against giant rock monsters.

Power Miners wasn't violent. You could argue that the premise might suggest violence, but there are no guns (unless you count the water guns from the second wave... I don't). Dino Attack had weapons out the wazoo. Sure, the vehicles looked nice with those guns, but it's still one of the most aggressive themes LEGO's come up with to date. It just didn't feel like LEGO to me. (And this is coming from somebody who actually liked Dino Attack)

Besides, even if LEGO's grown more partial to violence over the years, that doesn't mean I'm happy about it. A shift back into more adventurous, man VS nature conflicts would be a nice change. I get tired of making "pew pew" noises sometimes.

Do people actually pay attention to the plot in those themes? Outside of the basic premise, that is. I never really understood the LEGO storyline aficionados. It's not exactly award-winning stuff.

Am I the only one who's glad that this is more of a dino-friendly theme? With all of the recent LEGO violence, it's refreshing.

I just meant what the main 'mission' of the theme was. If they were trying to capture dinosaurs before they destroy something/an evil guy uses them. Or if time-travel is involved, or if it's on an island.

And I am also glad it's dino-friendly, a very refreshing change. :classic:

Power Miners wasn't violent. You could argue that the premise might suggest violence, but there are no guns (unless you count the water guns from the second wave... I don't). Dino Attack had weapons out the wazoo. Sure, the vehicles looked nice with those guns, but it's still one of the most aggressive themes LEGO's come up with to date. It just didn't feel like LEGO to me. (And this is coming from somebody who actually liked Dino Attack)

Besides, even if LEGO's grown more partial to violence over the years, that doesn't mean I'm happy about it. A shift back into more adventurous, man VS nature conflicts would be a nice change. I get tired of making "pew pew" noises sometimes.

Dynamite Flick fire missiles.

Those can be used for blowing up tunnels, ofcourse it can be used for more violent actions. That's even suggested at some boxes. But still it's less obvious than the Dino attack theme :wink:

You are missing the point.

One of the more aggressive looking power miners sets doesn't appear nearly as mean-spirited as the most memorable set from the entire Dino Attack theme. Note the five-story high inferno on the box art. There may have been some questionable undertones in Power Miners, but Dino Attack was outspokenly bloodthirsty. There is a huge difference.

Moreover, my point wasn't really to compare Power Miners with Dino Attack. I'm just glad LEGO is taking a different direction. After all, dinosaurs are just animals; no more evil than a rhinoceros.

Consider this fact, it appears that the earlier dino theme's creatures were all meat-eaters....so go figure, kill or be dinner ! :devil:

Though it maybe more peaceful since there might be research lab set if my 43 year old memory hasn't failed me. :laugh:

You are missing the point.

Remove the fire in the background and the helicopter is not really much more violent than your average space police 3 chase scene. The dinosaur is roaring, but then again, it is a carnivore. The PM set seems to be ready to make the blue rock monster explode if needed.

Edited by vexorian

When you look at all the action themes add in Star Wars too, they all are violent to a particular level.....even Kingdom's and Harry Potter ! :wink:

I still say it's a replacement for Atlantis....many of those sets are on clearance at Kmart's across Australia. :wink:

Remove the fire in the background and the helicopter is not really much more violent than your average space police 3 chase scene. The dinosaur is roaring, but then again, it is a carnivore. The PM set seems to be ready to make the blue rock monster explode if needed.

This is getting silly. The helicopter is loaded with weapons, including what appears to be a chain gun, and all the tractor has a dynamite launcher (which is a little ludicrous in its own right). One theme is clearly more weapons-oriented than the other.

I've already said, several times, that LEGO in general is more violent than it once was. Dino Attack was just an extreme example of that. Power Miners has violent elements, but fewer. Both themes are conflict based.

If you're just going to pretend certain parts of my posts don't exist to make my points easier to disregard than I'm not going to waste my time. Frankly I'm not even sure what we're arguing about anymore.

Guys, chillax. This argument happens every year when a new theme is released, it doesn't matter. Children are being exposed to violence earlier, such as in video games, so Lego are likely to follow those trends, but anyway, I think it's off topic isn't it?

Anyway, Im not sure about this theme yet. Earlier days but I'll wait to see if I can fork out any cash to explore this line.

When you look at all the action themes add in Star Wars too, they all are violent to a particular level.....even Kingdom's and Harry Potter ! :wink:

I still say it's a replacement for Atlantis....many of those sets are on clearance at Kmart's across Australia. :wink:

That's true even city can be violent look at all the police. It's only violent if you make it that way.

Ok, no more arguing.

We are yet to see even a set design, let alone a box graphic. As I mentioned to much ire earlier, I did not like the violent turn of Dino Attack, this new Dino theme sounds a lot less conflict based. For now we will continue the friendly discussion and not argue about something pointless and at the moment not important.

Thank you.

For now we will continue the friendly discussion and not argue about something pointless and at the moment not important.

Awwwwww! *kicks rocks*

We never get to have any fun! :tongue:

Now, being a LEGO storyline aficionado myself, I feel I ought to speak up. Yes, I've thoroughly followed the storylines of themes like BIONICLE, Ninjago, Atlantis, etc. Personally, I tend to like the stories written for them, even if they're not works of art. I don't buy the sets strictly for the stories behind them (even though what characters come in a set will affect whether I consider it a "must-get" set), but they make the themes far more enjoyable for me.

As far as violence in themes is concerned, I'm OK with it as long as the themes don't become too grim and serious. For instance, Dino Attack was a bit excessive IMO. Power Miners, on the other hand, wasn't any more violent than Pirates (which also has a lot of weapons in any incarnation). Dynamite launchers don't seem too violent when you consider that this is clearly cartoon dynamite which is no more deadly to the Rock Monsters than it would be to Tom & Jerry.

Do I expect this theme to be excessively violent? No, not by any means. TLG hasn't had any themes as gritty as Dino Attack since that theme ended, unless you count Vikings or certain licensed themes. And recent themes seem to show TLG has regained touch with the lighthearted, tongue-in-cheek, kid-friendly storytelling that made the various LEGO cartoons and video games so appealing. Also, the set names we have seen suggest that capturing and studying the dinosaurs, not just blowing them to bits, will be important to the protagonists.

With that said, kid-friendly storytelling doesn't mean the theme won't have weapons. Otherwise, the humans will be at a decisive disadvantage in any type of role-play, unless running the dinosaurs over with vehicles is enough to convince kids that the humans stand a chance. With that in mind, the theme could arguably be considered more violent if it lacks weaponry of any sort-- whether it's the heroes using destructive force against the dinosaurs or the dinos mauling the humans. But including weapons isn't any more violent than any Castle or Pirates set would be.

@ Aanchir: Very well stated my friend, you are the voice of reason and level-headedness. :thumbup:

The thing about violence in sets is that despite our best efforts to present children with an idealized view of the world in which everyone gets along, it is very difficult to sell the idea. Conflict is what makes any movie/play/novel and other story-based medium exciting. Just imagine any classic movie without a central conflict to move events and challenge the protagonists. If Indiana Jones was not set in the years prior to World War 2, and if there was no war in star wars would those movies have been successful?

Conflict does not necessarily translate to gritty violence, and most Lego themes are open-ended enough so that they can be enjoyed at the level of harmless fun by kids as well as the level of seriousness by AFOL's and MOC'ers. I feel that is the best part of Lego's stories; you take them and interpret them at any level you wish to. :wink:

@ Aanchir: Very well stated my friend, you are the voice of reason and level-headedness. :thumbup:

Conflict does not necessarily translate to gritty violence, and most Lego themes are open-ended enough so that they can be enjoyed at the level of harmless fun by kids as well as the level of seriousness by AFOL's and MOC'ers. I feel that is the best part of Lego's stories; you take them and interpret them at any level you wish to. :wink:

Completely agreed on both accounts. :thumbup: