I hope that winter 2013 will have an entirely new wave, and since Ninjago will presumably be canceled after the winter 2013 wave, that leaves room for more summer 2013 Dino sets!

I hope that winter 2013 will have an entirely new wave, and since Ninjago will presumably be canceled after the winter 2013 wave, that leaves room for more summer 2013 Dino sets!

I don't think Ninjago and Dino really influence each other that much. Even though Eurobricks classifies them both as "action themes", they have very different market strategies. Ninjago is extremely story- and character-driven, with lots of minifigures with distinct identities. It also has a "gameplay" aspect in the form of the spinners and booster packs. Dino, on the other hand, has an emphasis on vehicles and creatures, fewer complex action features (I'm thinking things like the "transforming" feature of many of this year's Ninjago vehicles or the splitting-apart feature of last year's Fire Temple, among others), and a much simpler story.

Even the target age range for the themes is different-- Dino has a minimum recommended age between five and seven (depending on the set) and a maximum recommended age of twelve for all sets. Ninjago has a minimum recommended age between six and eight (again, depending on the set) and a maximum recommended age of 14 for all sets.

Furthermore, I should add that LEGO has already announced that there will be a new theme introduced when Ninjago ends, which more likely than not will be tied to the new cartoon they will be airing after the Ninjago TV series concludes. If this theme targets the same demographic as the Ninjago theme did (and why shouldn't it, when the Ninjago series was hugely successful with that demographic?), then it won't really leave room for Dino to take over the shelf space and target audience that Ninjago left behind.

Now, I'm still hopeful that there might be Dino sets next year, but personally I think the reason there were so few this year has less to do with competition between themes and more to do with TLG wanting to keep the first wave on store shelves for longer in order to get more people to buy them. This isn't unheard of-- in 2010 and 2011 there were only new Kingdoms sets in the middle of the year and none at the beginning of the year. This could be a similar situation, but reversed. In that case, I don't think we'd see a much larger selection of new Dino sets next year than we had this year, because again TLG would likely want to keep them on store shelves for longer than they could if they introduced new stock semi-annually.

Of course, it's also possible that Dino was only planned for one wave. But if there's going to be another wave, I just feel there's no reason to expect the schedule of new sets to increase in frequency next year, when limiting the 2012 sets to a single wave was probably deliberate.

Someone posted this photo over in the 2013 SW thread.. of Lego's office room or whatever the heck awesome place to work that it is.

Why do you care?

NEW/UNRELEASED DINOSAURS! Right below the big silver pipe thing, on the white shelf..

CLEARLY a stegosaurus (with a seperation in some of his plates where there are studs) and what appears to be a paralophosaurus behind him!

LOOK!!!

DINOSAURS and other fun stuff

Those kind of just look like toys (if I am looking at the right thing)? I don't think we will see more Dino sets, but who knows nowadays. TLG has done crazier things.

Those kind of just look like toys (if I am looking at the right thing)? I don't think we will see more Dino sets, but who knows nowadays. TLG has done crazier things.

I was wondering the same thing at first- but take a closer look. There's a clear gap in the stegosaur plates where there appear to be studs. We can hope anyway! Most everything in there is lego stuff.. including some other unreleased possible future sets(LOTR Tower, SW Wookie planet, Alien Conquest 2 sets on the left, etc)..

Edit:

After digging around the internet I found 2 toys it could be..

4199L20vXoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

toysmith_articulated_stegosaurus_dinosaur_toy_figure_-_nothing_but_dinosaurs.jpg

It's likely the bottom one after all.. damn!

Edited by Rez

Someone posted this photo over in the 2013 SW thread.. of Lego's office room or whatever the heck awesome place to work that it is.

Why do you care?

NEW/UNRELEASED DINOSAURS! Right below the big silver pipe thing, on the white shelf..

CLEARLY a stegosaurus (with a seperation in some of his plates where there are studs) and what appears to be a paralophosaurus behind him!

LOOK!!!

DINOSAURS and other fun stuff

I want ankylosaurus, and maybe some sauropods and some more meat-eaters (giganatosaurus, allosaurus)

I'm pretty sure Dino has been canned, to be honest. It's all just wishful thinking, I believe, like Alien Conquest.

Well, even so, we're getting dinos in Ninjago, as seen in the new trailer:

Wait a minute, there's a red T-rex / Allosaurus like dinosaur at the end of the video!

Didn't we already get some sort of dinosaur (or at least something similar) in an earlier wave? :tongue:

Actually, that was a wingless dragon and in the Ninjago show it had wings too. BTW, every time we're getting a bird in a set we're actually getting a dinosaur anyway!

Edited by DraikNova

That's the thing that worries me though. Lego has released a couple dino waves in the past and they have all been a few years apart yet none of them really share a cohesive look. If they don't release a new Dino wave till 2013, will it again be overhauled and have vastly different looking dinosaurs from what we got this year?

I understand what you mean, but I do think that while the design approach to dinosaurs has been revised nearly every time a new theme calls for them, I personally do think there's enough "LEGO-ness" permeating each version that they can be used together. The design of the print deco might help, of course - some of the older dinosaur figures could work pretty nicely alongside the newer ones, if they had prints in the style of the new ones.

I was actually kind of hoping they might rerelease the old Adventurers Dino Island pterosaur for the Dino theme as part of a promotional polybag, say. I think it could work, though it appears clear they're doing no such thing.

I also agree with others. I could easily of seen them makig 2-3 more sets with a few new dinosaurs included in them. For instance we could of got a stegosaurus set with a gang of hunters on motorcycles, a plesiosauras with a sub command station or a big boat command center, and a brochosauras dino with a watch tower built in a tree. That's just three ideas off the top of my head that are vastly different from the sets we already got. They also include some dinosaurs we didnt see this year.

I could see that as well, and I agree, but I suspect Dino is another single-wave theme, and that we've gotten all the sets we'll get. Alas...

I could see that as well, and I agree, but I suspect Dino is another single-wave theme, and that we've gotten all the sets we'll get. Alas...

I see where your coming from and, even though I think you may be right I PRAY that your wrong.

Lego Dino is quite possibly one of the best "new" themes. Obviously licences will always do better and last longer but the original builds on Dino are awesome.

I'm really going to try and add the rest of the sets into my collection

Edited by Starkiller

I understand what you mean, but I do think that while the design approach to dinosaurs has been revised nearly every time a new theme calls for them, I personally do think there's enough "LEGO-ness" permeating each version that they can be used together. The design of the print deco might help, of course - some of the older dinosaur figures could work pretty nicely alongside the newer ones, if they had prints in the style of the new ones.

I was actually kind of hoping they might rerelease the old Adventurers Dino Island pterosaur for the Dino theme as part of a promotional polybag, say. I think it could work, though it appears clear they're doing no such thing.

Yes and no. Didn't they outright say somewhere that they consider the more generalized Dinosaur line as one of heir evergreen themes? Much like Castle, Space, Pirates and Divers. Themes that they never fully retire, but revisit and revise every so often. The story and aesthetic will change each time, but the basic subject returns. So even if this years Dino is a one and done, we will see Dino's again.

It isn't an actual dinosaur type, it is some fictional creature that only lived in Ninjago. I doubt it will appear in any sets, either.

Hi I'm new. Just bought yesterday a 5885 set in a Lego store here in Italy and I asked about the future of Lego Dino, they confirmed that this line will not (unfortunately) continue :/

We know. Too bad, I must say, as I would love a lego Allosaurus or Sauropod, not to mention an Ankylosaur or a Stegosaur.

Edited by DraikNova

Lego dino isn't dead it's in hibernation.

I think you'll find the gap between sets has far more to do with production issues surrounding that many new molds than anything else.

Dino was ambitious for introduction of new molds and paiting techniques. It will be back. I just dont think it will be until Winter 2014 to be honest.