It's too bad that the pteranodons are exclusive to the two sets in the line that I don't like. 5883 Tower Takedown's tower and jet ski both look uninspired (good for parts, I guess?) and the 5888 Pteranodon Chase hydroplane looks strange with the yellow wedges trailing off the wings and the playability-related hump behind the cockpit.

Something else that I'm unhappy about is that they choose to mold the needle clip directly onto the gun; which is nowhere as good as using a BrickArms-style clip, in my opinion.

Fortunately, the rest of the theme looks great! :cry_happy:

Does anyone out there have any idea if there is a backstory to go with the theme? In the background of the Box Art I can see a city, as well as electrified fences surrounding some of the jungle. Very interested to learn more.

There's probably at least a loose backstory, given the unique minifigure designs for this theme. Most themes that have all their figs designed from the ground up at least have names for the characters. Also, it's a more complex situation than City and Kingdoms, so it would be foolish for TLG not to at least give a tenuous explanation for why the good guys are supposed to hunt the dinos.

There's probably at least a loose backstory, given the unique minifigure designs for this theme. Most themes that have all their figs designed from the ground up at least have names for the characters. Also, it's a more complex situation than City and Kingdoms, so it would be foolish for TLG not to at least give a tenuous explanation for why the good guys are supposed to hunt the dinos.

Here you go, the 'official' Dino backstory, credit to me. :grin:

The world is getting overpopulated, so people move to (new planet or new island? You decide! :devil: )

But dinos live there, so the leader of the world (President or king? You decide! :devil: )

decides to hire some guys to (Hunt or capture? You decide! :devil: )

And so they set off into the jungle while the builders start building a city.

The rest? You decide! :devil:

I am going to assume this is the story:

David Ivan Nohunter (Commonly known as D.I.Nohunter) and his friends are capturing escaped dinos from the research compound!

On the all-important subject of LEGO dinosaur accuracy, I'm surprised that noone's complained yet about the pteranodon. For one thing, pteranodons aren't dinosaurs. Yeah, I know, nobody gives a damn. And honestly, I don't care either. But oh, the inaccuracy!!

But there is another, bigger problem with the pteranodons' wings being built completely wrong. It has two clear bone structures pointing backward to support the main wing membrane. One spreads back from the wrist within the membrane, looking similar to a bat wing model. The other comes from between the wrist and the shoulder. In reality, this bone is called a pteroid and should have pointed forward and towards the shoulder. Its function was to strengthen the forward membrane.

What? Nobody cares? Then you mean to say that you also don't give a hoot that pteranodon was probably covered not in scales, or even feathers, but in hairlike fibers called pycnofibres? For shame, people. It's called accuracy!

Yeah, just kidding. I love these dinos. The sets as a whole aren't really pushing my buttons, but the critters definitely are. I want them all for my orc army, especially the pteranodon (my favorite "dinosaur") and the raptor. My only real complaint is the dinos that are MIA, like the ankylosaurus and the stegosaurus. Let's hope for a second wave of herbivores!

It's too bad that the pteranodons are exclusive to the two sets in the line that I don't like. 5883 Tower Takedown's tower and jet ski both look uninspired (good for parts, I guess?) and the 5888 Pteranodon Chase hydroplane looks strange with the yellow wedges trailing off the wings and the playability-related hump behind the cockpit.

Something else that I'm unhappy about is that they choose to mold the needle clip directly onto the gun; which is nowhere as good as using a BrickArms-style clip, in my opinion.

Fortunately, the rest of the theme looks great! :cry_happy:

Right? I have the same dilemma. I like the pteranodon, but both of those sets are the theme's weakest imo. Of the two, I think the seaplane is a better buy, since the minifigures it includes are nice and I don't hate the design. I just wish the cockpit was a little more thought out. Of course, it all comes down to the price.

Don't show this to people that invent NinjaGo sets, they have added snakes, if they see this we could have come into Dinousaur Ninjas :)

I have always wanted Dino Riders based theme from LEGO.

DRSeries1Picture.gif

May be these dinos could be modded to this. We got some studs on dinosaur tops,so we could make a seat with weapons i think.

I could see myself making a few dino riders MOC's. I alrady do it for my son with the Dino Attack sets. I cant wait to get all of these sets.

On the all-important subject of LEGO dinosaur accuracy, I'm surprised that noone's complained yet about the pteranodon. For one thing, pteranodons aren't dinosaurs. Yeah, I know, nobody gives a damn. And honestly, I don't care either. But oh, the inaccuracy!!

But there is another, bigger problem with the pteranodons' wings being built completely wrong. It has two clear bone structures pointing backward to support the main wing membrane. One spreads back from the wrist within the membrane, looking similar to a bat wing model. The other comes from between the wrist and the shoulder. In reality, this bone is called a pteroid and should have pointed forward and towards the shoulder. Its function was to strengthen the forward membrane.

What? Nobody cares? Then you mean to say that you also don't give a hoot that pteranodon was probably covered not in scales, or even feathers, but in hairlike fibers called pycnofibres? For shame, people. It's called accuracy!

Yeah, just kidding. I love these dinos. The sets as a whole aren't really pushing my buttons, but the critters definitely are. I want them all for my orc army, especially the pteranodon (my favorite "dinosaur") and the raptor. My only real complaint is the dinos that are MIA, like the ankylosaurus and the stegosaurus. Let's hope for a second wave of herbivores!

My main problem with the pteranodon is just that its wings are flexible and its legs aren't. Pteranodons mostly glided, right? Or am I remembering my dinosaur facts wrong? Anyway, what I'm saying is that they don't need to flap their wings to glide nearly as much as they need to move their legs to land. The Dino Attack pteranodon was ironically more flexible in many ways-- although the wings couldn't flap and the legs couldn't actually hold onto anything, it could somewhat be made to look as though it's either perched or soaring through the air due to the flexible legs. Still, this is scores better than the Adventurers Dino Island pteranodon or the ugly brickbuilt ones from some of the Studios sets.

I also hope for other species of dinosaurs, because they'd be an option for TLG to reuse some of the dinosaur leg pieces, etc. in new applications.

Does anyone out there have any idea if there is a backstory to go with the theme? In the background of the Box Art I can see a city, as well as electrified fences surrounding some of the jungle. Very interested to learn more.

I've been wondering about the back-story for a while. The buildings in the background intrigue me...

It hasn't directly called the Pteranodons dinosaurs, yet. As for the accuracy, I've given my opinions, and I don't think it's that inaccurate. I probably wont even use them for dinosaurs, anyway. :sceptic:

Pterosaurs featured some of the most lightweight construction in the animal kingdom so yes, they were gliders not flappers for the most part.It would have been nice to have movable legs, but if you look at a reconstruction of any resting pterosaur you can see that it would be impossible to recreate such posture accurately in a Lego figure without multiple piece wings.

Woot, someone else knows about fuzzy pteranodons!

Right? I have the same dilemma. I like the pteranodon, but both of those sets are the theme's weakest imo. Of the two, I think the seaplane is a better buy, since the minifigures it includes are nice and I don't hate the design. I just wish the cockpit was a little more thought out. Of course, it all comes down to the price.

Yeah, I'll probably end up getting the tower, just because it's cheaper. :hmpf_bad:

Ok the pics have bean uploaded and the BS folder is now ready here

Enjoy! :classic: :classic: :classic:

Epic!

The more I see these sets, the more I love them! Those torsos are very reminicent of Dino Attack/2010, and the dinos are :wub: !

The more I look at the torsos that I have from Dino Attack/2010 and these, the more I see the similarities. The faces on the characters are even quite close. Both themes have guys with sunglasses, and both have helmets, and both have a character with an ammo belt, both have a helicoper, both have a Jeep, both have a small dune buggy-type thing, and both have a tank! What more could I have asked for? And now that I look some more, the Velociraptor is amazingly detailed. It has the large claw, the head and tail can move, and it even has a realistic color scheme! It's a pity the Pteranadon's feet don't move though. It had a lot of potential. :sad:

Interesting! One observation I can make according to this pic is that yes, the tranquilizer guns are in Titanium Metallic (Bricklink's Pearl Dark Gray in post-2010 sets). I remember someone asking about that at one point; now we have a definite answer. There are some nice new faces, although at least some-- for instance, the one with the shiny sunglasses in 5885 and the one with the orange goggles in 5888-- are also used in City. I wonder whether this theme will have named characters? If so, will it just be the characters with new exclusive face prints, or others as well?

I could see myself making a few dino riders MOC's. I alrady do it for my son with the Dino Attack sets. I cant wait to get all of these sets.

Ha ha, I am thinking the same when I saw that.

Thanks Grogall. You da man! :thumbup: I really appreciate you taking the time and making the effort to do this.

Interesting! One observation I can make according to this pic is that yes, the tranquilizer guns are in Titanium Metallic (Bricklink's Pearl Dark Gray in post-2010 sets). I remember someone asking about that at one point; now we have a definite answer. There are some nice new faces, although at least some-- for instance, the one with the shiny sunglasses in 5885 and the one with the orange goggles in 5888-- are also used in City. I wonder whether this theme will have named characters? If so, will it just be the characters with new exclusive face prints, or others as well?

The only really distinct characters I can make out are the two exclusives included with the HQ. They're great looking figs all right, but since they're not pervasive throughout the theme, I doubt they'll be as central to the story as Jake Raines was to PQ.

I REALLY like some of these figs though, particularly the two included with the Raptor/Jeep set. That is definitely a must-buy - great vehicle, great dino, and great figs. :thumbup:

I would LOVE to see a second Dino wave with Stegosaurus and Ankylosaurus. As I see it, however, their elaborate body armour would be a challenge from a construction point of view. Would Stegosaurus's plates come as separate pieces or would they be moulded to the body?

Also, I'm sure this is a major longshot, but a Lego Therizinosaurus would be the coolest thing ever.

Ha ha, I am thinking the same when I saw that.

I'm in the same boat. I can't wait to see these in stores. My only problem with them will be do I get them all in one swoop, or try a little patience and spread them out? :wacko:

I'm in the same boat. I can't wait to see these in stores. My only problem with them will be do I get them all in one swoop, or try a little patience and spread them out? :wacko:

Not a big fan of the actual models, but I do have to agree, some pretty nice minifigures!

Am I the only person getting a major Alpha Team: Mission Deep Sea vibe from these sets? So much yellow!

Anyone noticed that face from Raptor set is a remake of this face:

pi054.jpg?0

That's a bit of a stretch; the fig you posted has a full beard, while the red-headed dino hunter just has a tiny goatee, a full moustache and luscious, poofy sideburns. Plus, as is standard among modern figs, his hair is not printed on his forehead. He's still one of my favorite new faces in the theme.

There are eight distinct minifig characters.

Six minifigs only appear in one set each:

The black haired scientist

The female

The fedora guy

The black flying helmet Dino attack-a-like guy

The blond guy

The unhappy guy with tan pants and torso, black hair and dark red arms.

Two minifigs appear in four sets each:

The khaki/olive jumpsuit guy with dark red undershirt

The flying cap and dark red torso with bandolier and 'D' insignia guy

That's a team of fourteen fighting capturing nine Dinosaurs. I'm guessing the grunts are expendable. Trying to cram nine dinosaurs into that compound there's going to be casualties.... :sceptic:

Edited by Brickenhead-town-dweller