Not to mention that LEGO would have to be out of their mind to release a dinosaur theme in which high-tech vehicles appear to be chasing after chickens on steroids. How would THAT sell? :laugh:

Hmm im getting 505 errors :sceptic: would anyone mind giving me a new link or emailing me the pictures?

Try Brickipedia. :wink:

I'll give my opinions on the sets later, I still haven't seen all the pic's.

This is probaly the first time in my life that I liked the preliminary pics better that the finalized onces. What a dissapointment, the t-rex just look weird and much more unlego than the prototype. They all just look very cheap to me, with an overcolorized background and stuff. Like they wanted to have me not buying these for some reason :sceptic:

Edited by Brickviller

I totally agree with you. I always thought that feathered dinosaurs looked really silly and I do not entirely buy into the whole feathered dinosaur thing.

Given that numerous dinosaur fossils have been found with feathers, including Velociraptor and the tyrannosauroid Dilong, you might as well get used to the fact.

Given that numerous dinosaur fossils have been found with feathers, including Velociraptor and the tyrannosauroid Dilong, you might as well get used to the fact.

I don't think anybody's questioning the scientific accuracy of feathered dinos - it's pretty well established. What I'M questioning is the necessity of having scientifically accurate dinosaurs in a science fiction theme for children, especially when it would make the primary antagonists (the dinosaurs) look ridiculous.

Hmm, some of the dinosaurs look a little... stranger.

Also, looks like I was wrong about the gun clips. Oh well, but clips and a slightly-altered gun mould probably would have been easier for compatibility.

Quite frankly, this is much more awesome than I was expecting. Every set I look at I am drawn to the Dinosaurs themselves and don't really care about anything else. They have really excellent moulding and great deal of character, unlike the plain old non printed animals I personally have tired of. Don't get me wrong, they still have a place in my heart, but as someone who enjoys colour and character, these stand out for me. Although sometimes it can be taken too far, these seem to be just right. Standouts being the T Rex and Triceratops of course.

Woah, woah, woah. What's with the wheels on the helicopter? It just ruins it for me. As for the other sets, they're all pretty awesome. I'm really looking forward to that new gun piece.

Woah, woah, woah. What's with the wheels on the helicopter? It just ruins it for me. As for the other sets, they're all pretty awesome. I'm really looking forward to that new gun piece.

That's actually normal for a Skycrane. And personally, I think it looks just fine.

I like the dinosaurs in this theme, too. I wonder whether this would be more than a one-wave theme. Realistically many of the dinosaur parts could be reused on other types of dinosaurs.

Anyone else looking forward to Dino Riders MOCs?:

*snip*

Well duh!

It disappoints me not to see any pictures of the plane, that set was the one I want the most. The dinosaurs look like something to get, either on Bricklink or getting the sets once I see the box IRL.

Great pics! I totally :wub: the HQ. Does the guy by the gates look like Jake Raines to anyone else? :laugh:

EDIT: Pics are on Brickset!

Edited by K-nut

I hope we get some clearer pics of that sea plane soon - I quite like it, and it's a better way to get the pterodactyl.

I don't think anybody's questioning the scientific accuracy of feathered dinos - it's pretty well established. What I'M questioning is the necessity of having scientifically accurate dinosaurs in a science fiction theme for children, especially when it would make the primary antagonists (the dinosaurs) look ridiculous.

Why would feathers make them look ridiculous? You could turn the very same argument 180° and say featherLESS dinosaurs look ridiculous... geez. Those Jurassic Park movies killed mainstream dinosaurs to the very point, they could't even be portrayed accurately in a toy without anyone throwing a tantrum... Alas, in that TLC might have made the right decision in omitting the plumage.

As for the theme: Velociraptor is again WAY too big. If they called that buddy a Deinonychus I'd be okay with me, but so...

I won't get into further details as below, so this is going to be short:

Heroes' colour scheme is an atrocity! Strong dislike on my part, but might fly with the target audience. So be it then.

Dinosaur designs are easily the strongest TLC might ever have put out. If it wasn't for the missing feathers.

Might get some sets on clearance or discount for the 'saurs and parting out the rest. Nothing to invest in beyond that, though.

@TLC: Next time we'd like our dinosaur main course with some feathers for side dish, okay? ;-)

Be well all!

Cutty

edit: How could I forget to praise both Pteranodon and Triceratops for rockin' my socks tonight! Good stuff! I'd like a small contingent of both as mounts for my Castle trolls!

Edited by Cutty

Why would feathers make them look ridiculous? You could turn the very same argument 180° and say featherLESS dinosaurs look ridiculous... geez. Those Jurassic Park movies killed mainstream dinosaurs to the very point, they could't even be portrayed accurately in a toy without anyone throwing a tantrum... Alas, in that TLC might have made the right decision in omitting the plumage.

Feathered-dinosaur-Anchio-009.jpg

Tyrannosaurus-rex.jpg

Which are YOU more scared of? I don't think feathered dinosaurs would have made very intimidating antagonists. And if you're REALLY that concerned with scientific accuracy, then what you should be asking is why humans with modern vehicles are trying to capture live dinosaurs.

Or you could remember that this is a LEGO theme. :laugh:

Good grief.

These are plastic toys for children, only the speccy kind would be bothered to have feathered dinos and as it stands even then they would much rather a Thunder Lizard to Oversized Poultry. Realism isn't TLGs watchword and I for one welcome our giant lizard overlords.

Feathered-dinosaur-Anchio-009.jpg

Tyrannosaurus-rex.jpg

Which are YOU more scared of? I don't think feathered dinosaurs would have made very intimidating antagonists. And if you're REALLY that concerned with scientific accuracy, then what you should be asking is why humans with modern vehicles are trying to capture live dinosaurs.

Or you could remember that this is a LEGO theme. :laugh:

The first image is a small coelurosaur, the second is a large tyrannosaur. That's hardly a fair comparison.

This, OTOH, looks rather distinguished, yet still terrifying:

BMImg_28321_28321_dinosaurs-012-t_rex.jpg

At any rate, I'm rather torn between 5886 and 5887. The latter is obviously more expensive and requires more display room, but you get three dinosaurs, four minifigures, and two vehicles. That may ultimately prove cheaper than buying 5886, 5884, and 5882.

Edited by Suspsy

There is an opinion that T-Rex had feathers. Taking the threat less seriously would be inadvisable for any dino hunter. They could have given the raptors some feathery crests and tails at least - LEGO should try to educate the kids though play, instead of perpetuating outdated ideas (give us Vikings without horned helmets!) - though I admit some license is necessary as we dont know even what color the dinos were.

Shame the clips are part of the gun, I hoped they would be separate, as in the the ones from Brickarms.

Edited by Ardelon

There is an opinion that T-Rex had feathers. Taking the threat less seriously would be inadvisable for any dino hunter. They could have given the raptors some feathery crests and tails at least - LEGO should try to educate the kids though play, instead of perpetuating outdated ideas (give us Vikings without horned helmets!) - though I admit some license is necessary as we dont know even what color the dinos were.

Shame the clips are part of the gun, I hoped they would be separate, as in the the ones from Brickarms.

Keep in mind that LEGO, as a toy, is about imagination. So what's more important isn't how things are but rather how kids imagine things. Just look at all of the bright red firehouses in LEGO City. They're that color because kids associate the color red with firefighters. It's kind of like something I mentioned in a discussion of fantasy elements in Castle themes. A lot of how people visualize history comes from its depiction in fiction. King Arthur and his knights are perhaps more centric to how we visualize medieval history than the actual history that inspired those stories.

While it would be somewhat cool for TLG to try and keep a lot of their sets historically accurate, frankly they also have to temper that with the way kids will visualize things. I don't think they're under any obligation to keep things scientific. And really, it's not like it will change the shape of the future if kids grow up not knowing what dinosaurs really looked like.

At the same time, I also disagree with the people who say that feathered dinosaurs would inherently look stupid. And with the people who say Jurassic Park is to blame for people thinking dinosaurs didn't have feathers (toy dinosaurs existed for a long time before that movie made dinosaurs "cool" again). These are just roadblocks to some people of our generation visualizing dinosaurs as they actually were.