Wow! I love the big base set (largest one) I would get it just for the minifigs and the base itself (And of course the new snipers)

I'm not a big fan of Dinosaurs though, yet I guess the new molds are nice :classic:

Why do they always have to put the female fig in the big set...

Why do they always have to put the female fig in the big set...

I think it is pity the dinosaurus are 'prefab'. After the Ninjago brick build dragons they could have made dino's brick build as well.

I haven’t really been following the new Dino range, but now that these pictures have come out it has really caught my eye.

Personally I think the weakest set looks to be the HQ as there is something about it that just makes it seem empty. Saying that, I do think the figures, mini-vehicles and accessories in the set should make up for that (and it can easily be used in a MOC).

The Pteranodon and Raptor sets look great though and I can see the whole range making my wish list! :laugh:

I like this line more and more, whenever I take a look at the pictures. I think these dinos are the best TLG has ever done. Also I think the colour scheme for the vehicles is pretty, with yellow, red and this striped red camo pattern. Let's just hope these two facts will sell the sets. It's just sad that the two cheapest sets are not that interesting and the minifigs are'nt that cool. The really good dinos and vehicles are only in the mid- and upper price section.

I am very pleased though, with the size of the compsognathus. Lego seems to have gone above and beyond to make these dinosaurs accurate.

Is it a Compsognathus, or just a baby raptor? :sceptic:

Personally, I think the base set is pretty good. It would have been great if it came with a baseplate, but that isn't really Lego's style anymore. :sadnew:

I'm pretty happy with the assortment of dinosaurs, and I'm happy to not see any of those new 'brick' pieces, I hate those.

Overall, I probably won't get it because of the price, but I would be very pleased if I got it as a present. :laugh:

Also, the buildings in the background make me very curious as to what the story is...

Looking at those jars of green fluid, I can't help but wonder if these dinosaurs are artificial, ala Jurassic Park. Perhaps the buildings in the background are part of an top-secret research facility, or maybe time travel is involved.

I'm pretty happy with the assortment of dinosaurs, and I'm happy to not see any of those new 'brick' pieces, I hate those.

I gotta agree with you about those textured bricks, they just don't look like Lego to me.

So, is the tiny dinosaur from the base set the same as in the coelophysis set? I hope so, since the coelophysis in the 2nd set is way out of scale.

Also, is the gun clip holding the syringe part of the gun or a separate piece? I’m hoping it’ll be separate and look like the brickarms version, which would be great, as it would allow attaching knives as bayonets to muskets and rifles. Being pretty much a purist, I didn’t use the brickarms clip, meaning my historical troops were reduced to using their rifle butts when fighing at close quarters :laugh:.

Regarding the small dinosaur in the HQ set, I think it is another Coelophysis. If you look at the top of the boxes, you can see the minifigure dinosaur size comparisons. The Coelophysis is only as tall as a minifigure, and the small dinosaur in the HQ set is also only as tall as a minifigure. It just happens that the Coelophysis on the Attack set is drastically out of scale.

In the base set the small Dino has a different tail to the Coelophysis. It kinda looks like it's just upside down but really scrutinising you can see it's more curvaceous. Also the legs don't appear to be hollow. I'm guessing it's either a one piece Dino or it's a stand in for the Coelophysis. Possibly a small prototype sculpt of the Coelophysis. Who knows what stage of development the photos were taken at.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the small dinosaur is a veliciraptor as that was their actually size when they were alive. And as said above it's legs are not hollow and it's mouth seems to be different aswell as it's tail.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the small dinosaur is a veliciraptor as that was their actually size when they were alive. And as said above it's legs are not hollow and it's mouth seems to be different aswell as it's tail.

I doubt there will be two dinosaurs so similar in this theme at the exact same scale. Note that both the tiny dino in the base and the Coelophysis have just a single back stud. One is probably just more preliminary than the other.

I could be wrong, of course, but it's just a bit odd to imagine two "almost-but-not-quite-identical" one-piece dinosaurs in a theme like this.

I doubt there will be two dinosaurs so similar in this theme at the exact same scale. Note that both the tiny dino in the base and the Coelophysis have just a single back stud. One is probably just more preliminary than the other.

I could be wrong, of course, but it's just a bit odd to imagine two "almost-but-not-quite-identical" one-piece dinosaurs in a theme like this.

However, it is the most expensive set and TLG always like to add something unique into it. Although they're new colours for the dinos, the raptor and T-Rex are featured in other sets. Although it could be preliminary, the dino here is just smaller than a minifigures and the Coelophysis is a tiny bit bigger. The arms on the Coelophysis are moveable and the ones here aren't.

However, it is the most expensive set and TLG always like to add something unique into it. Although they're new colours for the dinos, the raptor and T-Rex are featured in other sets. Although it could be preliminary, the dino here is just smaller than a minifigures and the Coelophysis is a tiny bit bigger. The arms on the Coelophysis are moveable and the ones here aren't.

But, as said before, that dino in the smallest set is blown up on the computer. For proof, look at the picture and compare the studs on the dino and the one on the plant. The stud on the dino is a lot bigger than the ones on the plant and on the car. So the one in the base is the actual size of that dino. Also, the dino in the Jeep set is a raptor, as told by the preliminary names. The preliminary name was 'Raptor Attack'. The smallest set's preliminary name was 'Hideout of the Celeophysis' (Sorry if I spelled that wrong.) Thus, the small dinosaur IS a Celeophysis.

But, as said before, that dino in the smallest set is blown up on the computer. For proof, look at the picture and compare the studs on the dino and the one on the plant. The stud on the dino is a lot bigger than the ones on the plant and on the car. So the one in the base is the actual size of that dino. Also, the dino in the Jeep set is a raptor, as told by the preliminary names. The preliminary name was 'Raptor Attack'. The smallest set's preliminary name was 'Hideout of the Celeophysis' (Sorry if I spelled that wrong.) Thus, the small dinosaur IS a Celeophysis.

The dinosaur on the cover is the only thing blown up. Look at the top of the boxes it confirms the size of the dinos to the minifigs.

I've had a look through the thread but I can't find any pictures and a lot of the links have been removed. Anyone got a direct link to these please?

^ here are the most recent photos.

I wouldn't put too much stake into these being preliminary shots. Although they are, typically when LEGO has the box artwork finished, the sets don't change too much. And honestly, they look pretty final to me.

That said, I have to admit that the colors on the dinosaurs included with the large base look quite a bit better. At the very least, they look much more realistic. I wonder why LEGO decided to use different colors?

I'd like a better look at the minifigures, too. At first glance, they don't look too interesting, but upon closer examination I'm noticing a nice bit of variety. I'd like another shot of that Jaine Raynes looking character.

Edited by Algernon

Did anyone else notice that most of the sets use a dark red Exo-Force robot arm? :sweet:

That 'Jake Raines looking minifig' has Jake Raines' face, a tan Indiana Jones fedora, and the new dino hunter-type body. That's all I can see of him. I wonder if these figs have backprinting? :sceptic:

Did anyone else notice that most of the sets use a dark red Exo-Force robot arm? :sweet:

That 'Jake Raines looking minifig' has Jake Raines' face, a tan Indiana Jones fedora, and the new dino hunter-type body. That's all I can see of him. I wonder if these figs have backprinting? :sceptic:

I wouldn't get too excited about the Jake Raines fig. These are most definitely preliminary. In most sets, atleast one fig has a city face with the other heads being overused ones. But don't worry though, I'm sure TLC will treat us too some nice new headpieces :sweet:

Edited by Housey98

They are very prelm minifigs. I have noticed that a lot of the figures have Hoth rebel uniforms and dark red sleeves.

Okay, just came up with a storyline idea over dinner. What if this theme put the humans as the antagonists? Something like a peaceful island where dinos live, but people discover it and decide to build a city there? That would explain the buildings in the background, and it also would introduce an interesting plot. What if the human race was the "bad guys"? That would explain the dino-hunting as well, because the people would have to get the dinos out of the way so that the citydwellers wouldn't have to live in constant fear. Also, this would increase possibility for the theme, such as the city gets halfway built and citizens start to move in. Then the sets could be houses and offices that the dinos attacked. Then the hunters have to come and stop them. The sets right now are more 'capture the dinos' type things, but what if that all changed in the next wave. What if the President of Legoworld decided that the dinos are too much of a pain in the a$$ and ordered the hunters to kill off the rest? Then we could get the best of both worlds--the peaceful approach of Dino 2012, and the big guns of Dino Attack. :devil:

This also increases the possibility of seeing more herbivores, as it would make the island or whatever look peaceful and make it have the order of nature, as in carnivores eat herbivores, etc. etc.

Okay, just came up with a storyline idea over dinner. What if this theme put the humans as the antagonists? Something like a peaceful island where dinos live, but people discover it and decide to build a city there? That would explain the buildings in the background, and it also would introduce an interesting plot. What if the human race was the "bad guys"? That would explain the dino-hunting as well, because the people would have to get the dinos out of the way so that the citydwellers wouldn't have to live in constant fear. Also, this would increase possibility for the theme, such as the city gets halfway built and citizens start to move in. Then the sets could be houses and offices that the dinos attacked. Then the hunters have to come and stop them. The sets right now are more 'capture the dinos' type things, but what if that all changed in the next wave. What if the President of Legoworld decided that the dinos are too much of a pain in the a$$ and ordered the hunters to kill off the rest? Then we could get the best of both worlds--the peaceful approach of Dino 2012, and the big guns of Dino Attack. :devil:

This also increases the possibility of seeing more herbivores, as it would make the island or whatever look peaceful and make it have the order of nature, as in carnivores eat herbivores, etc. etc.

Nice spin :laugh: , but TLG wants to sell an action theme to boys who want nothing more than to identify with heroes gunning down rabid dinos (albeit with tranquilizer guns, so as not to appear too bloodthirsty), not a moralizing tale of how man is the biggest threat to nature and poor endangered species like dinos... I’m curious what the official backstory will be, though; it should be made to be different to the stories behind Dino Island (humans actively seeking out dinos on a remote island far from civilization) and Dino Attack (dinos appearing on civilization’s doorstep, humans just defending themselves).

It's a feasible way to imagine it, but we both know TLG would not do this. The human characters in a theme are almost invariably included so that kids playing with the toys have characters they can easily identify with. If it were aliens versus dinosaurs, then it would be easier for the protagonist/antagonist roles to be interchangeable, but still kids would be more likely to identify with the more humanoid faction.

Remember that the storyline to a LEGO theme is just a backbone for the product, not the other way around. The plot is rarely something a kid couldn't come close to figuring out with just a quick glance at the set and character designs. I think it's more likely for the theme to be one that kids can understand just by picking up the toy-- that there are human "good guys" trying to capture dinosaurs.

There might be a little bit of story expansion by the designers-- for instance, creating named characters with specific backgrounds and personalities. But anything far beyond that in complexity is just wresting control of the story away from the kids and into the hands of the designers, which would contradict TLG's spirit of imagination.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of story themes-- BIONICLE and Hero Factory are some of my favorite themes. But when a kid sees a toy they're going to want to make up stories with it, and so it's important that the stories the designers offer aren't too greatly at odds with the ones the kids will tend to make up.

It could be possible that TLC have taken a leap out of Primeval's book. These dinos could have appeared through something similar to anomalies. Of course it won't be anomalies exactly as that would mean licensing but it could be something very similar.