This is the first I have seen of this theme, and I am certainly digging several of the sets. Definitely a riff on Jurassic Park without those pesky licensing fees. I am not worried that the dinos are not brick built as some of the more recent animals we have got have been superb such as the ostrich and camel from Prince of Persia, and the goat and chicken in Kingdoms.

The smallest set with jeep, dinosaur and foliage seems to be a real winner and I can see people army building that to get a fleet of jeeps and dinosaurs.

The observation tower set looks nice, and the Triceratops set has a great looking dinosaur and a really good looking vehicle.

The more expensive sets I am more on the fence on. The sea plane would be better with a different dinosaur and the T-Rex set hinges on how good the helicopter will actually be. In that pic it looks a bit flimsy.

I don't like any of the vehicles. To me they look like stuff suitable for Hasbro's G.I. Joe Tiger force from the early 1990's.

I do like the Dinosaurs though. The bright colours are a little off-putting at first but they may not be final colours. Compared to the immobile Dino island stuff or Dino attack or the studios Jurassic park stuff these are fantastic. As a City builder I'll be adding these to a natural history museum. A couple of Dino skeletons alongside and these will look great. Flappy wings on the Pteranodon. Excellent.

Kids are going to lap this theme up. And that's what is important.

Wait, weren't dinosaurs color blind? :wacko:

I don't think anyone can really prove that. :tongue:

Still, the yellow fits, I think. It's just too bad that the secondary colours are mostly on stickers.

WOW this is the first I have see of this theme as I'm stuck on the Star Wars thread all the time. My son is going to go crazy for this theme, boys just love Lego and dinosaurs so I think they make a perfect couple :wub: .

Ive just been hunting down some cheap prices for the Dino Attack theme for my son ( we already have all the sets but he wants more dino's, vehicles and minifigs) and this will make it easyer to build up a bigger dinosaur army.

The theme looks great but im agreeing with all those readers that are not liking the yellow as the main colour :wacko: . I think a darker colour or even grey would have looked better. The new Raptors look awsome but the red T-rex looks a bit odd in that colour, but waht colour where dinosuars? We will never know.

Lets see the sets in full detail before making my final comments on this theme. :sweet:

Not sure on the colour blind question, but I am pretty certain that one thing scientists/paleontologists cannot ascertain is the colour of dinosaurs. For all we know they could be pink with purple spots.

Most people suspect Dinos to be greens and browns for camoflauge(sp.) reasons. It would make sense especially for the predators.

But anyway, I wonder how long this line will last. Dino Attack lasted only one wave (I think), but I doubt the same fate for this line. It has some great potential and there are a lot of Dinosaurs to use.

An Ankylosaurus would especially be great.

Kalhiki

I'll join in and wish for some dinosaurs of my own. :tongue:

I would love to see some sort of accurate sauropod with moving legs, the old one just doesn't cut it for me.

I agree, an Ankylosaur would be great. :cry_happy:

Back on the coulur blind question, we all know colour blindness or colour vision deficiency is the inability or decreased ability to see colour, or perceive colour differences, under lighting conditions when colour vision is not normally impaired. Dogs are colour blind but can see colours just not all the colours in the light spectrum. The do not see in black and white. wiki link to clour blindness :wink:

About the vehicle clour like it was said erlier in a post they look very similar to Jurassic park colour sceme. All you need to do is add a bit more red on the bottom of the vehicle and there we go, Jurassice park Lego with out the heavey price on licencing fees. Look @ Star Wars Lego way over priced for waht you get partly due to licencing agreements and Lego having to pay money to Lucas. This way we get JP Lego at a cheaper price so we can just then buy more Lego :laugh: .

U.S pricing and names:

5882 - Ambush Attack - $9.99

5883 - Tower Takedown - $19.99

5884 - Raptor Chase - $29.99

5885 - Triceratops Trapper - $49.99

5886 - T-Rex Hunter - $69.99

5887 - Dino Defense Headquarters - $99.99

5889, Hydroplane, will be a store exclusive.

U.S pricing and names:

I take it these are Barns and Nobles prices again (since you mentioned that in City 2012). These look pretty good; I didn't know that B&N was competitive on their bricks. But with this pricing I might pick up the first 3 sets.

Edited by J_Bro83

U.S pricing and names:

Raptor Chase is 30 bucks? Good gravy. Maybe I'll have to wait for a later wave to get that kickin' raptor figure in better numbers at a better price [without the big ol' truck I'm only so-so on].

But the figures, the more I look at them, the more I like them. The Adventures dinos were nice, and very 'LEGO,' but rather small and, you know, monochrome. The Dinosaurs dinos were decent in their brick-builtedness and seeming attempt at some sort of scientific quasi-accuracy, but were... lacking, to say the least. The Dino Attack dinos were nice and big, but way too Playmobil.

But these new ones sort of hit every note right on the nose. I'm very jonsed. Almost jonsed enough to entertain the idea of getting one of the bigger sets, which I almost never do.

Edited by IAmWillGibson

U.S pricing and names:

These prices come as no surprise. Sadly, this means Canadian prices will be even higher. I sure hope we get these sets in at work so I can use my staff discount!

The only thing surprising about those prices is that people still seem to be upset by them... when they are practically identical to the exact same price points LEGO's been using for non-licensed themes for the past five years. Seriously people, what were you expecting? For LEGO to arbitrarily slash it's price scale in half?

Although, I will say that the T-rex hunter was a little pricier than I expected. The model seems pretty bare-bones now - I imagine we're mostly paying for the dinosaur, which is the least interesting element of the set, in my opinion.

Isn't B&N usually overpriced? I expect these prices to be cut down a bit.

But if not, it's a shame that the Raptor set is 30 bucks. I hardly buy 30 dollar sets (20-25 is the most I usually pay), so who know when I'll get this. Why do the cool Dinos always have to be in expensive sets? (Answer: moolah. Cool Dinos everyone wants + expensive sets = people buying expensive sets)

Kalhiki

Huge Jurassic Park fan and seeing as how I missed out on Dino Attack I'm pretty excited for these sets even if I don't particularly like the vehicle design or color scheme.

I find the lack of topic activity disturbing.... :vader:

I think the color scheme for the vehicles is off-putting because the combinatioin of mostly yellow with slashes of red is loud and obnoxious and just a little bit aggressive. HOWEVER, I like it. I like it because the decals are an absolute homage to Jurassic Park and because the yellow works great to accentuate the human faction's industrial direction in stark contrast to the organic pallet and aesthetic of the dinos.

I think that adding green at the base of the vehicles to match Jurassic Park would have looked a little nicer, but the lampooning would have become too blatant. As it is, I think some modding will be in order.

That said, I think this theme is a great playful idea that I'm sad to say will likely only be a one-waver like Pharaohs Quest or Alien Conquest. For what it is, it is magnificent.

Because I'm a sucker for trends, I'm going to give my impressions thus far:

5884 Raptor Chase/Pursuit- Easily my favorite. As a kid, the raptors in Jurassic Park stole the show. A wicked smart dinosaur with an arsenal of pointy bits. This dino fig looks amazing and the poseability looks good so far. The truck looks sturdy and the barricade has some neat bits, but once again, the raptor steals the spotlight. A certain buy for me.

5883 Pteranodon Tower- Sweet merciful Bricklink! It's about time we got a poseable pterosaur! The tower is... okay. Those tower rigging panes are nice, and the fish lure is neat, the minifigure looks great so far, and I really dig the tranquilizer gun. This one is a maybe for me.

5882 Coelophysis?/Troodon- Excellent parts pack, the dino is the weakest of the theme, which is to say I want multiples. The vehicle actually looks great for such a small scale thing, and the foliage will be a nice addition to larger models. Will definitely buy

5885 Tyrannosaurus with copter I've seen a lit of nagging on the size of the chopper, but to be honest, a full-scale transport aircraft would be ridiculously huge. I think this works for short-distance carrying of a tranquilized T-rex. Actually, I can see this working better with the Triceratops... Perhaps the two are supposed to swap dinos? That would explain the confusion in the set names...

Still, the ckopter has nice parts and the sexy angular window, and of course, the T-rex. I may pass on this, if only to buy the facility with the other t-rex.

5888 Hydroplane I'm seeing some potential in this one, actually. There looks to be some good bulk in the main segment. And it has that beautiful Pteranodon in green. I'll wait for reviews to be certain, tho. I'm optimistic.

5886 Triceratops Transport This set is pure win. The transport truck looks really heavy-duty like it could hold a number of dinos. The triceratops looks fantastic as well. Depending on price, this might be a must for me

I'll share my opinions on the HQ set when I get clearer pics

Most people suspect Dinos to be greens and browns for camoflauge(sp.) reasons. It would make sense especially for the predators.

But anyway, I wonder how long this line will last. Dino Attack lasted only one wave (I think), but I doubt the same fate for this line. It has some great potential and there are a lot of Dinosaurs to use.

An Ankylosaurus would especially be great.

Kalhiki

Sorry to say, but when I saw the scans- it says that this theme will have only shop related campain. No events, no many internet stuff not even a bigger commercial- just like many 1 year themes. But I would love if this was not true!

My 2 Cents:

Raptor Set: Nice! I don't see what use the Barricade has though, can't it just jump over it? I do, however, enjoy the truck. The crane was a good idea and it has a nice design. The raptor does look pretty nifty, too.

Tower and Pterodactyl: Yay, a somewhat non-pricey way to get a pose-able Pterodactyl (Though not like the one in Dino Attack/2011). It the gun a new piece or is it just a regular Star Wars gun with an added piece? The net launcher...thing is getting kinda old though, but the tower is somewhat neat. I'm wondering if the fish on a stick is bait of some sort.

The smallest set: I have no idea what the dinosaur is supposed to be, and it is arguably the ugliest thing I have ever seen. It looks like a good army builder, with a fantastic sized dinosaur for an impulse set, the gun, a car, and a tree.

The Triceratops Set: Awesome. Simply awesome. The truck is great, we could potentially use that in any Dino related set ever because it's a good enough size to hold almost any of the dinos, except maybe the T-Rex. It is also quite well designed. The Triceratops has the best pre-release design I've ever seen, the printing is perfect.

Hydroplane: This looks like it's going to be an exclusive set, judging by the lack of anything new in it. The plane is still cool and the Pterodactyl also has a special coloration just for us people who only buy big sets for stuff exlclusive to it.

T-Rex Chase: Derp. Look at the eyes on that thing. They are blank and ugly. The helicopter isn't nearly big enough to carry the T-Rex. And look at all the stickers on that thing! Probably the worst out of them all, I hope they fix it with the official release to not be so... terrible. Though the claw is the perfect size for the Triceratops.

The base: Judging by the tiny picture of it, it's a giant circular cage with a tower. Similar to Lavatraz. It also has a giant yellow T-Rex and looks like it's meant for it to be able to smash through the doors. There is also a non-printed dinosaur, I can't tell what it is. There's a small car, and what looks like a guy in a red suit. I can't really share my mind about it without a larger photo though.

The smallest set: I have no idea what the dinosaur is supposed to be, and it is arguably the ugliest thing I have ever seen. It looks like a good army builder, with a fantastic sized dinosaur for an impulse set, the gun, a car, and a tree.

The base: Judging by the tiny picture of it, it's a giant circular cage with a tower. Similar to Lavatraz. It also has a giant yellow T-Rex and looks like it's meant for it to be able to smash through the doors. There is also a non-printed dinosaur, I can't tell what it is. There's a small car, and what looks like a guy in a red suit. I can't really share my mind about it without a larger photo though.

The dinosaur in the smallest set is meant to be a Coelophysis, apparently. :wacko:

The brown, currently-unprinted dinosaur in the Big Base set looks like the same mold as the Raptor. I can't wait for better pictures. :moar:

I just saw these pictures, and I must say, this theme looks awesome. I loved Dino Attack back in 2006, though I only got the four smallest sets. This theme looks even better than that, since the dinos actually look like they could be real. The tranquilizer guns look amazing as well. Now to rustle up my old Dino Attack dinos for an epic dino war! :devil:

Hmm, after looking over some preliminary pics, I think I'm going to pass on these sets. I'd prefer to save my money for other projects, I'm glad so many others like them though. Perhaps if the old dino theme wasn't in my dark ages I'd get a little more nostalgic for these newer ones.

PS don't worry TLG, I'm sure my money will flow to you by some other theme

T-Rex Chase: Derp. Look at the eyes on that thing. They are blank and ugly.

I . . . don't see how the T. rex's eyes are any more or less blank than the other dinosaurs, or say, the dragons from Knights.

The helicopter isn't nearly big enough to carry the T-Rex. And look at all the stickers on that thing!

I hate stickers myself, but I figure if you leave them unapplied, you get a nice Skycrane to join your construction vehicles.

Personally I'm really looking forward to this theme, in fact its probably the only theme I'll get every set of next year. Dino Island and Dino Attack were great sets, and despite the odd color scheme for Dino, these look even better.

Also, thanks to Alyvin, if you click here you can see slightly larger and much more clear pictures of the sets, including the headquarters.

Cheers,

Zar