AC is out of the question, I like the blue, but then again, there hasn't been that much blue apart from dark blue in Agents in recent action themes. Power miners nearly got me a stroke from all that overboard lime green. And that Blacktron part of your post can only be meant rethorically. Seriously? Blacktron without black was Blacktron 2, with those god-aweful white torsi, and that wasn't that much of a wise design decision. Who wants a theme called "Blacktron" where the black is only used as "highlights" inbetween lots of white?

I'd like this new Dino theme more if TLC had given that inflationarily used yellow a stronger counterpart in some earthy tones. I think sand green or even sand red would have made the yellow stand out so much more while at the same time toning down it's apparent "glare effect". This line is proof that sometimes less is more.

edit: took some strong language out...

IMO, Sand Green and Sand Red (which couldn't be used anyway, since it's been discontinued) would be awful in the color schemes of these vehicles. They already have a vibrant color in their color scheme, and I feel the way to tone that down isn't to add a dull, grayish secondary color but rather to add a darker, bolder color to reduce the brightness of the primary color. In other words, the color scheme's brightness is the problem as I see it, not its saturation.

The vehicles already do that to an extent with Dark Red, but unfortunately for some most of the Dark Red is just on the stickers, used minimally as accents in the form of actual building components. Thankfully, there's also lots of Black and Dark Stone Grey being used as neutral background colors to help tone down the yellow.

Anyway, my biggest "problem" with the aesthetics of these sets is the spikes present on all of the vehicles! from what I gather - capturing devices, tranquilizer guns etc. - the humans are attempting to peacefully capture the dinosaurs for study or something, so why are their vehicles covered in spikes? surely impaling a dinosaur isn't the most humane way of catching it! I can't see them being much help with clearing a path through the undergrowth, either.

I imagine the spikes aren't intended for impaling dinosaurs; they're meant as a deterrent, like barbed wire. Spikes on the front of the vehicles or the top of fences basically say "Dinos, don't even THINK about getting in my way/crossing this fence!" In fact, in the base the spikes are clearly meant as a last-ditch measure, for when the electric fences fail (as in the set, where the walls have conspicuously-clawed wiring on the exterior. As a bonus, the spikes will keep pesky birdosauruses from nesting on the gates! :tongue:

IMO, Sand Green and Sand Red (which couldn't be used anyway, since it's been discontinued) would be awful in the color schemes of these vehicles. They already have a vibrant color in their color scheme, and I feel the way to tone that down isn't to add a dull, grayish secondary color but rather to add a darker, bolder color to reduce the brightness of the primary color. In other words, the color scheme's brightness is the problem as I see it, not its saturation.

The vehicles already do that to an extent with Dark Red, but unfortunately for some most of the Dark Red is just on the stickers, used minimally as accents in the form of actual building components. Thankfully, there's also lots of Black and Dark Stone Grey being used as neutral background colors to help tone down the yellow.

The best choice, in my opinion of course, would be to make the sets Dark Red or Dark Green, with yellow highlights and stickers. That would reduce the brightness of this theme and give it some rare colors that would greatly increase the value of the sets. If they resurrected Sand Red, I would much rather have it in something like PQ instead of this. The sand red/sand green would clash with the yellow awfully. :sick:

Back on the pics, that fence in the Raptor set seems quite cool. Perfect for the T-rex to impale someone on! :devil:

Where can we easily see all the pics? Can a Mod set up the first page like the Star Wars 2012 thread or are we still waiting for the official pics?

I like these sets and the more I look at them the more I'm liking them.

Thanks for the HR pics, grogall! Looks like the minifg selection is going to be good. A few doubled torso, minus the lone fella in the pterodactyl tower set is in 4 sets. Looks like I'll be adding all these sets. :hmpf:

Also, it kind of looks as though the hairpiece in the HQ set is new? Or is it just cause of the angle, and is Jake Raines hair...

Edited by Legocrazy81

No, that looks like a new hairpiece to me. Its the same one that Robin has in the batcave I believe.

the hair robin has in the bat cave is clone wars obi wan's

the hair robin has in the bat cave is clone wars obi wan's

Nope, I don't think so, this hair has sideburns unlike the CW Obi Wan's.

Nope, I don't think so, this hair has sideburns unlike the CW Obi Wan's.

I think those sideburns are printed on the face, rather than being part of the hair.

I think those sideburns are printed on the face, rather than being part of the hair.

It's slightly off topic but look at the picture of the new Batcave, and from that you can tell its not printed on the face as the hairpiece is directed forwards so you can see the sideburns.

The spikes on the Triceratops truck and the Deinonychus jeep are hedge cutters, just like the ones mounted on Allied tanks during WWII. They're for slicing through thick brush, not injuring dinosaurs.

The hairpiece is new. It is used here and in the Batcave in black, as well in the new Jedi Interceptor for EpIII Obi-Wan in dark orange.

The hairpiece is new. It is used here and in the Batcave in black, as well in the new Jedi Interceptor for EpIII Obi-Wan in dark orange.

Really? The EP3 Obi-Wan looks like he has the old hair. :wacko: But that's for another topic.

On-topic: I'm glad to see the return of the Zookeeper hair in the Base set, and those (printed?) walls w/ wires in the Base look useful aswell. The dinos are growing on me more and more the more I look at them, even though I would have preferred to get Deinonychus or Protoceratops in the first wave, rather than the over-used dinos these sets have. The Celeophysis is a welcome change, but the rest are becoming all too common in both LEGO sets and other products. :sadnew:

IF there is a second wave, I would like to see:

A set with a Raptor Pack and a small Jeep. About $15.

A series of underwater sets with Liueplouridon (Did I spell that right? :wacko: ) and some other underwater reptiles.

Allosaurus in a set.

Spinosaurus.

Some sauropods.

More variations of pterodactyl.

Overall, I WANT MORE DINOS! :devil:

A series of underwater sets with Liueplouridon (Did I spell that right? :wacko: ) and some other underwater reptiles.

That's an awesome idea - I hope LEGO does this, if there is a second wave.

Dont't know much about this theme, but the pics look great and a bit more to them than say the Pharoahs Quest sets earlier this year. In terms of vechiles and sheer playability. Think my kids will enjoy a couple of the smaller sets see if they enjoy it.

That's an awesome idea - I hope LEGO does this, if there is a second wave.

Yeah, I thought that the largest set of the second wave could have a Lieuplourodon (Again, did I spell that right?) and a submarine, with a fuction so that the Lieuplourodon could bite the sub in half! :devil:

How can we believe a simple brick? How did you see said hairpiece? Hmmm. :tongue:

The bricks know all and see all. Do not question their infinite wisdom.

An aquatic wave would fantastic! Submarines and pliosaurs and mosasaurs and icthyosaurs and archelon... :drool:

I really hope this isn't a "one and done". There are still so many species and so many possibilities for this theme.

It would be great to get an Allosaurus and a new Stegosaurus too.

Lieuplourodon (Again, did I spell that right?)

Its actually Liopleurodon, just switch your "o" and "eu." :wink:

Edited by Mikeosaurus

If Tyrannosaurus Rex, Triceratops, and Velociraptor weren't included, TONS of children and adults would be upset about it. Believe me, I love obscure dinosaurs, but you simply can't have a dino toyline without the most popular ones of all.

And yes, an underwater set featuring Liopleurodon or Mosasaurus would be fantastic!

If Tyrannosaurus Rex, Triceratops, and Velociraptor weren't included, TONS of children and adults would be upset about it. Believe me, I love obscure dinosaurs, but you simply can't have a dino toyline without the most popular ones of all.

And yes, an underwater set featuring Liopleurodon or Mosasaurus would be fantastic!

Do you have any idea how big a Mosasaurus is? :tongue: How are you going to catch one?