Oky

Disney 2012 Discussion Thread

Check the first post. It's the American version of him. I agree that it would be really cool if they included stickers with the different designs for each region, but I don't see it happening since all the cars from official sets have been printed until now. :sceptic:

This is what Holley Shiftwell said to Finn at the Grand Prix debut party:

Clearly she's referring to Torque.

Aahh sorry. My bad. :P

Picked up the basic McQueen and Mater sets for my kids. Made a rod for my own back as now they want all the little matchbox type sets bcoming early next year lol

I just wish they'd do the Disney Princesses for lego System instead of duplo.

So do I, though Duplo makes sense for the license. Both (a la Cars and Toy Story) would be better still, of course. Perhaps if we're lucky, they will do both, in time.

It's not too hard to envision them doing Disney Princesses in the manner of the upcoming Friends line.

So do I, though Duplo makes sense for the license. Both (a la Cars and Toy Story) would be better still, of course. Perhaps if we're lucky, they will do both, in time.

It's not too hard to envision them doing Disney Princesses in the manner of the upcoming Friends line.

They did release Cars in Duplo before System. Maybe something similar would happen with Disney Princesses. I can certainly understand if they wanted to delay a licensed theme's System release in order to see how the Friends theme fares.

Or, alternatively, they could hold off in order to tie the sets in with some movie/other event-- after all, as a young kid I watched far more "classic" Disney movies than I did in my preteen years. It seems pretty evident to me that the system-based Cars sets were released in anticipation of the theatrical release of Cars 2. While Disney Princesses are a much less continuous franchise (besides occasional direct-to-DVD spin-offs and sequels), there could still be something to bring the characters back into the public consciousness.

Overall, though, I have a hard time guessing at what age range the market for Disney Princesses is at, or what types of products sell well within that franchise. I'm pretty out-of-touch with most things targeted at girls unless they have a direct connection with LEGO.

I would be at least sort of peeved if a Disney Princesses license used the Friends figures, not because I dislike those figures but because LEGO has so many minifigure parts already that would be great for The Little Mermaid and it would be a real shame if those couldn't be used.

Well, Disney has been releasing new princess movies lately, and the next Pixar movie, Brave, will be a fairy tale about a princess too, so maybe they'll do something around that? They could release system Brave sets along with some classic princess sets. I guess it's not likely since they're already making sets for two summer movies already (Avengers, TDKR), but who knows.

But yeah, they better use normal minifigs if they do.

I'm a little ticked off that they kept Cars for another year. They should of done that with Toy Story. :hmpf_bad:

Brave sets would be nice. But I think the most plausible next Disney theme will be John Carter of Mars, similar to the PotC and PoP sets.

I'm a little ticked off that they kept Cars for another year. They should of done that with Toy Story. :hmpf_bad:

Brave sets would be nice. But I think the most plausible next Disney theme will be John Carter of Mars, similar to the PotC and PoP sets.

Er, no.....I believe it's already been confirmed as The Avenger's for the live action theme Lego will be releasing sets for in 2012 .....but we don't know which cartoon one it will be ? :wink:

True, but I guess a theme where every character is a swooshable vehicle probably has more potential in TLG's eyes. :sceptic:

Er, no.....I believe it's already been confirmed as The Avenger's for the live action theme Lego will be releasing sets for in 2012 .....but we don't know which cartoon one it will be ? :wink:

Yeah, I gotta agree. Avengers is the new PoP/PotC, and John Carter is definitely NOT the most plausible next Disney theme. Brave, Wreck It Ralph, or even Monsters University would be more plausible than that in my opinion. And Cars is the cartoon license for 2012, at least the first half.

True, but I guess a theme where every character is a swooshable vehicle probably has more potential in TLG's eyes. :sceptic:

Yeah, I gotta agree. Avengers is the new PoP/PotC, and John Carter is definitely NOT the most plausible next Disney theme. Brave, Wreck It Ralph, or even Monsters University would be more plausible than that in my opinion. And Cars is the cartoon license for 2012, at least the first half.

I totally forgot about The Avengers being a Disney movie. Like you previously mentioned, Brave would be a kick-butt theme. But I still don't like Cars...

I totally forgot about The Avengers being a Disney movie. Like you previously mentioned, Brave would be a kick-butt theme. But I still don't like Cars...

Well, I'm pretty sure the reason Cars got kept around and Toy Story did not just boils down to sales. Cars has been a major merchandise-mover for years, whereas Toy Story merchandise dwindles when there's not a new film in the spotlight.

And besides, toy cars are something that have been successful for years and years, even visible in LEGO with the Tiny Turbos. In contrast, scaled down versions of fictional toys don't have the same perennial charm from a merchandising perspective.

Well, I'm pretty sure the reason Cars got kept around and Toy Story did not just boils down to sales. Cars has been a major merchandise-mover for years, whereas Toy Story merchandise dwindles when there's not a new film in the spotlight.

And besides, toy cars are something that have been successful for years and years, even visible in LEGO with the Tiny Turbos. In contrast, scaled down versions of fictional toys don't have the same perennial charm from a merchandising perspective.

Not sure if a lot of people know this but Chevron (the Gas Station) also had toy cars which are like the Disney CARs but Chevron came up with them before Disney.

Do you see any in this thread? No. :wink:

Not sure if a lot of people know this but Chevron (the Gas Station) also had toy cars which are like the Disney CARs but Chevron came up with them before Disney.

Actually, Disney came up with the idea first, with a cartoon "Susie the Little Blue Coupe" in the 1950s. The cars in Cars/Cars 2 have the "windshield eyes" that were first used in the 1952 film.

More about Susie the Little Blue Coupe here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susie_the_Little_Blue_Coupe

I hope that Lego considers having the Avengers for 2013, as they kept Cars 2 for that long, and the Avengers is much more appealing to the older Lego builders.

All the new Cars sets are now available on S@H!

Ya know, Princess pictures have been around for a few days, I don't really follow this thread, but I posted something related to the pictures in another thread, and it was brought to my attention that they weren't here yet. So:

6151.jpg

6154.jpg

These two small picters were all that I saw, but they're something, right?

Ya know, Princess pictures have been around for a few days, I don't really follow this thread, but I posted something related to the pictures in another thread, and it was brought to my attention that they weren't here yet. So:

These two small picters were all that I saw, but they're something, right?

They are. Thanks for the info.

Even for Duplo, the princess figures look... meh...

Ah, but you are not a three year old child are you ? :laugh:

They are cute, I wonder if depending how Friends go if the Duplo theme gets Friends-ised for older girls ? :wink:

Yeah, thanks for posting those!

I have to agree with just2good; the Disney princesses don't translate into the chubby Duplo format very well. If I wouldn't know better, I would have never recognized those figures as Aurora and Cinderella. :sceptic: Oh well. The sets look cute though, and I'm sure little girls will love them.

I wonder if those princess sets will be criticized and torn apart for being too girly. (<- Sarcasm :hmpf: )

But seriously- I wonder if there is a chance there will be Disney Princess sets in the Friends style...I think it's a good possibility.