youtoo

eBay's Cafe Corner listing price average

I was reading T&B forums and somebody made a comment of hand of how Cafe Corner was now 800!! I checked and indeed is so expensive, I couldn't believe it! How that happened?

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=10182+cafe+lego&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I mean, I understand is been out of the market for a couple of years, and usually the prices go up. I would understand something like 400 for it... but $800 to $1200??

Is there any special reason for this sudden bump? It was a sudden bump or it's been gradual? I just wonder if there is a mysterious story behind.

I bought the set maybe on 2009... and it costed me maybe 200EUR? I don't remember really. I have it there untouched... I was actually thinking of taking it apart for pieces (I don't plan to buy all Modular Buildings, too much money that I would spend every year!) I should consider just keep it for a while, or just sell it...

I wouldn't trust ebay for an accurate read of what the set goes for - check the Bricklink Price Guide instead. They have been selling for a little less than $600 USD new, $475 used on average.

I don't think there has been any really sharp jumps in price lately. Remember this was the first in the line so it is going to be the hardest to get new (besides maybe Market Street), and I know that those dark red slopes on the roof are extremely hard to come by, or at least they were, making it difficult to just buy the bricks off of Bricklink. I'd say that if you still have a sealed Cafe Corner that it would probably not be a smart move to open it for extra parts anymore.

I wouldn't trust ebay for an accurate read of what the set goes for - check the Bricklink Price Guide instead. They have been selling for a little less than $600 USD new, $475 used on average.

I don't think there has been any really sharp jumps in price lately. Remember this was the first in the line so it is going to be the hardest to get new (besides maybe Market Street), and I know that those dark red slopes on the roof are extremely hard to come by, or at least they were, making it difficult to just buy the bricks off of Bricklink. I'd say that if you still have a sealed Cafe Corner that it would probably not be a smart move to open it for extra parts anymore.

No, I probably won't.

You think prices have reached a plateau the last few months?

I wouldn't say that is the value of the set per se. More just a case of unscrupulous sellers taking advantage of people who don't realise there are other marketplaces for discontinued sets other than ebay. It's a kind of sad state of affairs that makes this hobby financially out of reach for a lot of people.

I wouldn't say that is the value of the set per se. More just a case of unscrupulous sellers taking advantage of people who don't realise there are other marketplaces for discontinued sets other than ebay. It's a kind of sad state of affairs that makes this hobby financially out of reach for a lot of people.

Well, Bricklink is not that much cheaper either.

I know those who were building them out of parts, the dark red slopes were extremely hard to come by, except those parts

are available again via the PetShop.

I think you have to ask yourself does it make sense to pay more than $400 for a set. If you are a collector, I guess. Will

the set increase to much more than $800? If they did, Lego should do a run or two.... :grin:

....or at least put all the rare parts on Online Pick-a-Brick.

:wacko::laugh:

I always wandered who is that person who would pay

that amount of money for a set that once was just 150 Euro's or something..

I understand these sets increase in value, but this ($1200) is just

for trying isn't it?

As far as I'm concerned People who hike prices up like that are scum of the earth. It's obscene. I don't care how scarce an item seems to be there's no excuse for it. Profiteers have my utter contempt. :angry:

Please try to be concise with topic titles. They shouldn't read like a discussion. I've edited this one for you to better reflect the information being discussed.

As far as I'm concerned People who hike prices up like that are scum of the earth. It's obscene. I don't care how scarce an item seems to be there's no excuse for it. Profiteers have my utter contempt. :angry:

I agree. The modular line is slowly turning into what SW UCS is($1000+ for the MF(!)). It's just crazy. It's really not right, and I personally wouldn't price gouge like that if I were to sell mine, although I never will.

This is quite ridiculous, Market Street did the same and I am sure Fire Brigade will be next. I spend way to much on Lego as is, so I am quite fine the price increase. I am not saying I would EVER spend $500+ on a single set, unless it was the 6399 Airport Shuttle with the track extension wub_drool.gif

Please try to be concise with topic titles. They shouldn't read like a discussion. I've edited this one for you to better reflect the information being discussed.

Maybe merge it with this topic?

This is quite ridiculous, Market Street did the same and I am sure Fire Brigade will be next. I spend way to much on Lego as is, so I am quite fine the price increase. I am not saying I would EVER spend $500+ on a single set, unless it was the 6399 Airport Shuttle with the track extension wub_drool.gif

Why this will happen with the Fire Brigade and not the Green Grocer for example, that's already phased out?

Edited by youtoo

Why this will happen with the Fire Brigade and not the Green Grocer for example, that's already phased out?

Green Grocer is usually already in the $300 USD price range. And I'm talking about sets that are being bid on, not "Buy it Now". Cafe Corner is now at least double that.

Supply and Demand, not price gouging. People are willing to pay obscene prices for them, so be it.

Fire Brigade isn't ridiculous yet, as it's still in production, or at least at LEGO store shelves.

Edited by wooootles

Green Grocer is usually already in the $300 USD price range. And I'm talking about sets that are being bid on, not "Buy it Now". Cafe Corner is now at least double that.

Supply and Demand, not price gouging. People are willing to pay obscene prices for them, so be it.

Fire Brigade isn't ridiculous yet, as it's still in production, or at least at LEGO store shelves.

I agree with you, no doubt. I just meant if there are Modular sets that for some reasons may be more valuable than others in a few years... i.e. Fire Brigade would be extra valuable for some reason...

The one thing I don't get is: Why doesn't TLG simply re-release all those sets?

3 years is a good time to put Cafe Corner back on the shelves, isn't it? I guess many more people would buy it now than when it was first released - everybody knows how good a set it is nowadays! Not so much all those years ago, wouldn't you say so?

Isn't that what they do with Police and Firefighters every 3 years? Add a bit here, do some work there, recolor some parts and that's it - "brand new" sets... No irony intended. The same sets, but usually -- most of the time, lets be honest -- improved, better.

3 years is a good time to put Cafe Corner back on the shelves, isn't it? I guess many more people would buy it now than when it was first released - everybody knows how good a set it is nowadays! Not so much all those years ago, wouldn't you say so?

I agree that they should, although I think it might still be a little too soon for a re-release. It would basically be printing money at this point, and I would certainly go and get another one (or two) if they were $150 again.

I can understand not wanting more than 3 modulars on the shelves at any one time, so I don't know if re-releasing a set would force them to sell 4 at once or just wait longer between new sets in the line. I do think it is inevitable with this one - the amount of new fans it brought in and old fans it brought back (myself included) has to be more than any other single set.

Isn't that what they do with Police and Firefighters every 3 years? Add a bit here, do some work there, recolor some parts and that's it - "brand new" sets... No irony intended. The same sets, but usually -- most of the time, lets be honest -- improved, better.

In the past they've had poor sales for re-released sets. Also they'd have to put certain parts back into production. Since they try and maintain a fixed number of part/colour combinations that has flow on consequences for other sets. Since the controls on their production is part of the reforms that brought them back to profitability, it's probably not an easy decision to make to reintroduce these for possibly small sales.

I think part of what makes these sets skyrocket in price is they start out as expensive sets to begin with so many people put off buying them. They also have rare and unusual colours so building them from parts after they are discontinued becomes hard. Buying the set is much easier than hunting down all the parts.

Indeed I would love for it to be rereleased. I was a late entry to these sets, I have the Grand E and the Firestation. I'm not a major fan of the Pet Shop, but would love to get the older two sets...

I know those who were building them out of parts, the dark red slopes were extremely hard to come by, except those parts

are available again via the PetShop.

I think you have to ask yourself does it make sense to pay more than $400 for a set. If you are a collector, I guess. Will

the set increase to much more than $800? If they did, Lego should do a run or two.... :grin:

....or at least put all the rare parts on Online Pick-a-Brick.

:wacko::laugh:

I too wish lego would put more parts on PAB, this way you can build your own over time rather than pay high prices on the open market for parts. But then again the parts being rare help put up the price of the individual sets. TLG will no doubt have noticed the high prices of the cafe corner set and individual part prices and may decide to introduce the parts to PAB.

I got back into lego just after Cafe Corner was discontinued and thought how great it was to make a creation like that out of the bricks I loved playing with as a kid. I am another one like many of us out there, who would buy this set if it was re-leased as I am currently trying to buy all the parts seperatley. I guess I would buy more than one of these to join together to make a grander sized building/hotel like you see at the back of the instructions.

As some have mentioned on here, I think it would be worth lego's while to re-release this as many people like myself who have come back to lego would like one. Plus it would reduce the price on the secondary market.

As TLG has re-released the space shuttle, that would be nice to re-release other boxes.

The Café Corner, the Market street and the Grand Carousel would be nice!

Edited by Pazoozoo

As TLG has re-released the space shuttle, that would be nice to re-release other boxes.

The Café Corner, the Market street and the Grand Carousel would be nice!

I doubt that the tlc would ever do that because the space shuttle was rereleased but it was still available to buy. The only other way they would re-release the modular buildings or other sets is that they did almost another legends line with them. The only problem is that they would probably never do it again because the legends line didnt get enough profit or sales like they thought they would have gotten. Tho i would love to get my hands on the cafe corner because i never got it myself

hmm i bought all the peices for market street, cafe corner and green grocer from bricklink and i only paid about 200 dollars for each set.

i even "fixed" some sections, for example the awning on cafe corner has a single 1x1 flat tile next to a 2x1 flat tile, so replaced them with a 3x1 tile instead, something that im sure the designer would have done had those peices been available at the time.

admittedly there are some HARD peices to come across and they cost more, but its cheaper than forking over 500 plus shipping.

I don't want to see it re-released, because A) I already have it, most of all B) It would take the place of a new modular(likely) and I want new modulars!

I was in my dark age when they released the first two modulars. Had I not found a seller who let their MS and CC go for its original retail last December, I probably would have never got into modulars and would have hoped, as hard as I possibly could, for a re-release (unrealistic). No way I'd pay todays price. I actually started with the FB and GG just before it was discontinued, and really enjoyed building them. Though I wish the bags where numbered. Me being a high tempered jacka**, I made it even harder on myself, mixing all the pieces together when I couldn't find a piece needed (for the GG). Still it was a nice LONG build.

As far as a re-release of the Cafe Corner or Market Street, more than likely a no-go. I don't think the AFOL community alone could make TLC to think twice. Adults love them but, the general market of kids trump us. So new modulars, especially with interiors are in. Apart from that 3 years really isn't very long for a model to be discontinued, heavily missed maybe.

For those who can and are willing, I recommend investing in a couple FB's before they leave shelves. They believe they're price will be extremely high not only for being a modular but, these facts: It has the highest piece count of any modular to date, it's the only one with a vehicle, and has the first detailed interior. IMO, the best modular of the first three, possibly all five (haven't built GE or purchased PS yet). I planned to sit on a few FB's for a couple years as I have finally quite procrastinating and enrolled in college, so I will need so extra cash to keep collecting. Buying Lego > Selling Lego = Buying more Lego... Everybody wins default_satisfied.gif

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

For those who can and are willing, I recommend investing in a couple FB's before they leave shelves. They believe they're price will be extremely high not only for being a modular but, these facts: It has the highest piece count of any modular to date, it's the only one with a vehicle, and has the first detailed interior. IMO, the best modular of the first three, possibly all five (haven't built GE or purchased PS yet). I planned to sit on a few FB's for a couple years as I have finally quite procrastinating and enrolled in college, so I will need so extra cash to keep collecting. Buying Lego > Selling Lego = Buying more Lego... Everybody wins default_satisfied.gif

That is exactly what most business guys among us are doing, and i hate to see

that others are 'suffering' from that. No offense to you however! :)

I think releasing those sets again would control that again. Look What happened

to those Maersk coloured bricks... at some point they went skyhigh with prices.

Until TLC came with new Maersk sets.

I know it sounds easy, but these bricks should be used to create lovely things,

not make a profit...