On a scale of 1 to 5  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

I am glad I got this, really like it however the blue cap that is supposed to hang on its hook was completely missing!! I have a spare so it wasn't worth contacting Lego just over one piece.

Seriously considering getting a second one now which would be MOC'ed in some way. A newsagents or some sort of record store in place of the pet shop interior is my first thought, also I would be tempted to build the town house part in mirror image and marry it up as a pair to the other one. So many possibilities, so little time...

Its funny had the same idea this is what it looks like when u put them together

mms_picture-2.jpg

Its funny had the same idea this is what it looks like when u put them together

mms_picture-2.jpg

In my opinion, the 2 identical buildings put together looks a bit odd. Perhaps you could use the duplicate building to make the original look taller? Then it might be more to scale with the GG.

In my opinion, the 2 identical buildings put together looks a bit odd.

The pet store part looks strange to me that way. But the townhouse part is fine. We have lots of old, mirror-image buildings like that by me.

Great review of a pretty great set, will get myself on eventually (need to get the GE first..).

I would love two townhouses though, that looks awesome..

I finally finished mine, and I did quite enjoy it even if the set isn't my favourite. I decided not to add the extra flowers that are on the cover, because not only are they excluded from the instructions, they're excluded from the parts list as well, and the parts are only included as spares.

The unpainted room/moving boxes thing is obviously a way to not bother with furniture, but I don't mind it too much. To furnish both buildings you'd need two beds, two kitchens etc. and I don't feel the need to create two sets of furniture in one modular set. At least this offers some kind of explanation.

It does feel much like a 'fill in' set, but that's okay... not everything has to be an architectural wonder in itself.

Incidentally, I think the next modular building is going to be a police station. Anyone remember how in the box art for the Fire Brigade, the cat from the Green Grocer was up a tree? I think in the box art for the next set, a burglar is going to be climbing up the drainpipe of the residential building in the Pet Shop. :grin:

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to do it.

I was under the impression LEGO purposely manufactures the reddish-brown bricks in slightly varying shades to give a building more of a "brickish" look. Can anyone clarify this?

Outstanding review! I've really wanted this set but I just keep putting it off. I guess I should hurry before I can't get one at retail price anymore. Thanks again for the great review.

Just ordered this set from Lego-shop-at-home last week when they had free shipping. I'm looking forward to building it. I just got into the modular series with the grand emporium last week and love them.

Great review! I've been on the fence for a long time regarding buying this set, and... I'm still on the fence! I particularly curious about the stair technique, but other than that it's a very useful set for parts.

Great review! I've been on the fence for a long time regarding buying this set, and... I'm still on the fence! I particularly curious about the stair technique, but other than that it's a very useful set for parts.

I don't know if this picture will help, but this is how the steps in the apartment building are made:

steps.png

I don't know if this picture will help, but this is how the steps in the apartment building are made:

steps.png

I thought so; I used a similar technique for one of my MOCs.

I thought so; I used a similar technique for one of my MOCs.

My opinion on that set because I do not like it due to small building scale and different other than Modular Buildings. But I will forward to purchase Town Hall soon.

My opinion on that set because I do not like it due to small building scale and different other than Modular Buildings. But I will forward to purchase Town Hall soon.

The smaller footprint is exactly why I like it. I hope they come out with more split-able modulars. Oh well, to each his own :wink:

The smaller footprint is exactly why I like it. I hope they come out with more split-able modulars. Oh well, to each his own :wink:

Yeah I'm with you on this one - I think it looks great with those slim buildings in between the wider buildings. Plus the designs of the two in this "Pet Shop" are wonderful indeed

I don't understand why so many people see this as a con to the set. Not every building is the same length. It would be like saying you don't like 10224 Town Hall because it's taller than all the others.

Some of the comments have me worried to get this one. I love the looks of it but I don't want to feel like I wasted $150. Almost finished constructing the Grand Emporium, which is my first modular, and I don't want to be let down by whatever I go with next.

Some of the comments have me worried to get this one. I love the looks of it but I don't want to feel like I wasted $150. Almost finished constructing the Grand Emporium, which is my first modular, and I don't want to be let down by whatever I go with next.

Well, one positive opinion here. I liked it just as much as any otter Modular. I thought the build was great fun. Exterior/interior are nice. It doesn't really matter if theres no new techniques or anything. The final outcome is all I really care about. Of course the build matters, and as long as all the buildings look different the build and techniques will be different. And, you get the nice Sand Blue too.

Daughter has the GE build (and protected, Garmaddan had sent out Nuckal & Bonezai to steal the little bike for Lloyd, failed as Sensei Wu was in store checking out the golden plates. And afterwards Frackjaw used his copter to try and seize the chandelier, failed as the window washer called in the Rattlecopter...) ahem...

I like the looks of the PS. Plus that it has a normal house in it. But is it playable? The rooms look small to position minifigs.

I have all of them from Green Grocer on and I was in no way disappointed by Pet Shop set. Based on the common 10 cent per parts ratio its a good deal. I personally like the two separate buildings as they give some variety to my modular street, and they have some clever techniques and ideas.

The Pet Shop is a superb parts pack with great colors and useful pieces, so you could always keep just this set in a couple of containers and try your hand at making your own modular using just those pieces. I just feel that as your modular street develops, you'll want to have them all.

However, if you buy your modulars based on wow factor, and Pet Shop doesn't give you that feeling, there is nothing wrong with ignoring it. The same is true if your budget doesn't allow for expensive sets you only feel lukewarm about. If I felt the same way about Pet Shop, and my budget only allowed for one $150+ set per year, I would totally choose the Haunted House set, UCS R2D2, or even the Sopwith Camel + a Winter Village set instead.

**Edit**

PS has a distinct display advantage for you. You can turn it 45deg, so the corner is pointing towards you, and put one building on either side of GE. Until you get more modulars, this really would be best way to display both sets.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I have all of them from Green Grocer on and I was in no way disappointed by Pet Shop set. Based on the common 10 cent per parts ratio its a good deal. I personally like the two separate buildings as they give some variety to my modular street, and they have some clever techniques and ideas.

The Pet Shop is a superb parts pack with great colors and useful pieces, so you could always keep just this set in a couple of containers and try your hand at making your own modular using just those pieces. I just feel that as your modular street develops, you'll want to have them all.

However, if you buy your modulars based on wow factor, and Pet Shop doesn't give you that feeling, there is nothing wrong with ignoring it. The same is true if your budget doesn't allow for expensive sets you only feel lukewarm about. If I felt the same way about Pet Shop, and my budget only allowed for one $150+ set per year, I would totally choose the Haunted House set, UCS R2D2, or even the Sopwith Camel + a Winter Village set instead.

**Edit**

PS has a distinct display advantage for you. You can turn it 45deg, so the corner is pointing towards you, and put one building on either side of GE. Until you get more modulars, this really would be best way to display both sets.

Thank you for the response. I think I'll probably end up ordering the Pet Shop because even though I'd much prefer to get the Town Hall, I'd rather not shell out even more money, ha. I do love the exterior of both the townhouse and the store, though, so I doubt I'll be let down. I just got nervous after reading some of the comments in here.

Build it today.

My second modular ;O)

First is Parisian Restaurant, which I build the day before yesterday ;O)

It is not so detailed and lovely designed as the PR, but it looks very nice side by side. I think the set is really great and the fassade looks as it shall look on those kind of houses.

Now i am in modulars too... Hurray.

Normally I am an technic builder...

Could anyone of you send me the back page of the instruction booklet at the back that is not blur. Can you take a photo of the full back page of both booklet 1 and 2 and send it to me on my email - Drathgt@gmail.com