117 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

index2.jpg

I've been wanting to get this set for a while, so I went to my nearest LEGO store (about a 35-minute drive) to get it. But was it worth it?

Set Name: 10218 Pet Shop

Theme: Exclusive

Released: May 2011

Pieces: 2032

Price: $149.99

Place of Purchase: LEGO Store

First the box:

Box Front

img_2968.jpg

Box Back

img_2969.jpg

I like the little minifigure adventure pictures on the back of the box.

Bagged Parts and Instruction Booklet

img_2974.jpg

img_2975.jpg

It took two pictures... :oh: I'm so glad the bags are numbered.

Instruction Booklet

img_2976.jpg

It's not bent! Thank you for the cardboard and bag LEGO! :thumbup:

img_2977.jpg

A random page.

img_2981.jpg

img_2982.jpg

Parts list.

Bag 1

The Parts

img_2983.jpg

A very nice selection of parts.

Interesting Pieces

img_2988.jpg

The parts in these colors are still somewhat new to me. I love the 1x4 tile-plate combo! :wub:

The Build

img_2989.jpg

The basement is getting started and steps have been added.

img_2991.jpg

The reverse-dome mechanism is installed.

img_2990.jpg

A close-up to see how it's done. Bonus points for creativity Lego! :classic:

img_2993.jpg

If you're like me and have to straighten out every piece then this^ is a pain.

img_2994.jpg

Hey look, a toilet! :laugh:

img_2995.jpg

Some household objects are added and the first floor begins to take shape.

img_2996.jpg

At first glance it's a normal sofa...

img_2998.jpg

But it has a gaping hole in the middle! I think Lego is getting a little lazy/cheap. :hmpf_bad:

img_2999.jpg

I also noticed some quality control issues. The camera exaggerates it a bit due to the lighting.

img_3000.jpg

A hat rack and stairs are added. The walls are getting taller.

img_3001.jpg

And Bag 1 is finished! :classic:

img_3014.jpg

The interior looks very nice.

Bag 2

The Parts

img_3017.jpg

I always leave them sorted. I don't know if sorting is smart or wimpy, but I like the build to involve more building than searching. :tongue:

Interesting Pieces

img_3018.jpg

Some trans parts and a green door. I haven't seen that light orange flower in a set before.

The Build

img_3020.jpg

Wow! These upper floors go really fast!

img_3019.jpg

More discoloring! :thumbdown:

img_3022.jpg

The floor is finished. I love the flowers by the window, very nice detail. :sweet:

img_3024.jpg

A balcony!

img_3023.jpg

I like this rail technique!

img_3026.jpg

This looks like someone just moved in! This also looks like an excuse for no furniture... :hmpf_bad:

img_3025.jpg

The 3rd floor is empty. I will probably add some furniture since LEGO doesn't want to.

img_3028.jpg

Green Grocer got an outdoor dining area, Fire Brigade got a bell and water barrel, Grand Emporium got a skylight and sign, and Pet Shop got...nothing. I suppose the other sets didn't split in two, but still. :sceptic:

Halfway!

img_3040.jpg

img_3045.jpg

Looks good!

Bag 3

The Parts

img_3049.jpg

Pets! :sweet:

Interesting Pieces

img_3054.jpg

There is that grey frog again. (Fire Brigade helmet holders)

img_3060.jpg

I think this part is all-new!

img_3055.jpg

The Pet Shop dog (left), police dog (middle), and classic dog (right) posing for a group picture.

img_3062.jpg

I got two different parrots in my copy of the set.

The Build

img_3058.jpg

The dog and cat are placed in their areas.

img_3063.jpg

The steps are built and the walls are added to.

img_3065.jpg

Preparations are made for the "PETS" sign.

img_3069.jpg

From the front it looks like a normal fish tank...

img_3070.jpg

But when examined in detail it is revealed that the tank has no back! *oh2*

img_3067.jpg

Ta-daa! The sign is finished.

img_3068.jpg

Bag 3 is finished!

Bag 4 (Final Bag)

The Parts

img_3072.jpg

Yay!

Interesting Pieces

img_3073.jpg

Just some tan and dark grey bits.

img_3074.jpg

:oh: A gunmetal frying pan!

The Build

img_3075.jpg

A fireplace and a shockingly familiar kitchen (Fire Brigade).

img_3076.jpg

Nooooooooooooooo! :cry_sad:

img_3079.jpg

This apartment has a door to enter. I like the steps.

img_3081.jpg

A nice little dining area.

img_3083.jpg

I like the bed!

img_3085.jpg

The top floor is finished. The windows have nice detailing! :thumbup:

img_3086.jpg

Hey look! A mini skylight! I guess Pet Shop does get something on its roof(s)! Bag 4 is finished!

Done!

img_3104.jpg

img_3107.jpg

What a nice shop. :thumbup:

Build Conclusion

Extra Pieces

img_3087.jpg

An extra grass piece! I can always use more of those. :sweet:

The Completed Set

img_3109.jpg

img_3110.jpg

Looks even better together!

img_3112.jpg

The minifigures join in.

img_3113.jpg

The set splits apart (if you haven't figured that out already). :grin:

Features

img_3116.jpg

img_3115.jpg

The window opens and closes.

img_3117.jpg

A stair technique.

img_3119.jpg

img_3118.jpg

The entry to the basement from the inside...

img_3120.jpg

img_3121.jpg

And the outside.

Conclusion

Playability: 5/5 Even though this is not a set intended for play the set itself is built to welcome moving and adjusting of the interior. This also makes it welcome for kids to play with.

Design: 5/5 Some NPU and an overall realistic look. It combines the wacky piece usage in Fire Brigade with the plain look of Green Grocer.

Build: 3/5 At times it got repetitive like the 30x shown above, :sceptic: but overall it was fun to create.

Parts: 4/5 2 all new parts as far as I know! Unfortunately there was some discoloration which brings the score down. :sadnew:

Price: 8/5 :grin: The set should actually be (if we are following price to piece ratio) $200.

Overall: 5/5 A great set that fits the standards set by the modular building line. Although there were some noticeable problems with the set, it makes up for it in the long run.

Comparison Shots

img_3122.jpg

Pet Shop with Green Grocer.

img_3123.jpg

Pet Shop with Grand Emporium

img_3124.jpg

Pet Shop with Fire Brigade

Bonus

img_3078.jpg

Mr. Johnson noticed the aquarium problem too late. At least the fish won't go to waste... :wink:

Brickshelf gallery

Very nice review - extremely thorough in both the pictures and the text. :classic: I think you really hit a good balance of showing enough steps where you really get a feel of the build without showing too much so as to give it all away. I should think anyone still on the fence one way or the other about this set should have their mind made up by the end of your review.

I'll admit that the Pet Shop itself fell a bit short for me personally (it feels more like an upscale Creator set than an official modular), but that's another issue...

Very nice review Velika314 :thumbup:

Like sonicstarlight, I was a bit on the fence about this set, and only ended up purchasing the Blue half via BL. Its due to be released in Toyshops here in NZ in the next month or so, so I might pick up a full copy if the price is right.

img_3122.jpg

Pet Shop with Green Grocer.

This is why I'm hesitating about buying the set... I can handle the different architectural styles of the first four buildings, but when you put these buildings next to the Green Grocer, they just look kind of out of scale. They have just as many windows and details on the front, but in half the size.

They look much better next to the Grand Emporium, with it's equally small windows. They're also smaller, so they make the Grand Emporium look much more 'grand'.

A conundrum.

Edited by David Thomsen

Thanks for the review 'Velika314', some neat tricks are used in this design but I happen to agree with David T. on this to compare GG to PS.....GG looks better scaled, the PS looks smaller.....a jumbo creator set ! :wink:

Anyway, Brick On ! :grin:

Good job on your review Velika314!

Also, your parrot isn't misprinted it's just TLG wanted to have 2 different parrots in this set :wink: .

:hmpf_bad: So much for selling it on ebay...

This is why I'm hesitating about buying the set... I can handle the different architectural styles of the first four buildings, but when you put these buildings next to the Green Grocer, they just look kind of out of scale. They have just as many windows and details on the front, but in half the size.

They look much better next to the Grand Emporium, with it's equally small windows. They're also smaller, so they make the Grand Emporium look much more 'grand'.

A conundrum.

I do agree that Pet Shop looks small in comparison with the GG, but it is only one stud shorter than FB (the main part of the roof not the lip-up) and three studs shorted than GE. If someone is creating a modular layout with pet shop in it, I would not place it next to GG due to the size difference. It seems like LEGO could have added to the upper rooms to make them look bigger, or at least they could have made the roof taller.

Edited by Velika314

Thanks for taking the time to do such a great review :thumbup:

Interesting to see the various features explained and in close up :sweet:

A conundrum.

Not every building on any given street are the same size. So why should the modular line be any different?

Not every building on any given street are the same size. So why should the modular line be any different?

I agree completely, as the line since the Cafe Corner has been fairly uniform in size and these help to break the scale of it up a bit.

My issues are with the details - those tiles with the studs on each end between floors, the 1x1 round plates as flowers, the flat roofs that are just stuck on rather than being slotted in, etc. As I said before, these are all hallmarks of the Creator Houses, and while I do think that line has improved a lot in the last few years, I don't think they are nice enough to mix in with the modulars. The Grand Emporium may have been simply detailed, but it still felt really solid and substantial in a way the Pet Shop just doesn't for me.

It's not the size I have a problem with, it's that the windows of the GG are four studs wide and four studs apart, whereas the windows of the PS are two studs wide and two studs apart. The bay windows also seem half the size, and the height difference adds to the impression. Together the PS buildings and the GG building look like three buildings that should be the same width, but are not.

The weird thing is that that the CC has two different scales of window in the same set. The first floor has four closely spaced windows on the side and the second floor has two widely spaced windows, and I never had a problem with that. I think it's that the PS buildings and the GG look so similar that they should be the same size.

I realise the obvious solution is to place them next to the GE, or somewhere else they won't look so disproportionate, but the fact that I feel I have to do this puts me off the line a little.

Great and very detailed review. I really love this set and its colour scheme.

Actually I don't care a lot about building scale, it's not bad to break the scale a little bit in a modular street layout. I have appreciated the TLG's efforts in this way, looks like a different ages architectural styles as you see in any european city centre.

I just got the Pet Shop myself but I haven't unboxed it. I'm glad to see that the bags are separated into 4 different sections! I always kinda dreaded building modulars because finding the parts pisses me off.

first off, great reveiw, clear concise and if i wasnt already a collector it would have made me seek further modulars.

on a side note though i finished the build last night and iv gotta say i found it lack lustre.

it felt like market street all over again and considering the quality of the MOC's i see here on EB i felt it didnt do the modular line justice, i wish it had been released as part of the creator kits for this year. the kit also felt like they had cut out as many bricks as possible for maximum profit, and this kit definatly needs additions.

all said my main critisism is the bland look, its just windows and stacked bricks, not advanced techniques at all (especially second floor pet store *facepalm*)

the kit is still ok, but i was left wanting,

that said i wonder what the next modular will be.

I'm a little skeptical about this one too. I mean... OK, it's still a modular building, it's going to be better than 90% of other Lego sets out there, and I'll clearly buy it eventually. But it just doesn't look as packed with neat features as Green Grocer, Cafe Corner, or Grand Emporium. In large part, it seems like that's because of the half-width buildings. Those are nice to have for the sake of variety in a streetscape, but it means you're going to be building more boring walls and less cool stuff inside the walls.

Like I said, I'm sure I'll get it eventually and I think it's a fine design. I just won't be going into it expecting quite the same experience as earlier sets.

I'm a little skeptical about this one too. I mean... OK, it's still a modular building, it's going to be better than 90% of other Lego sets out there, and I'll clearly buy it eventually. But it just doesn't look as packed with neat features as Green Grocer, Cafe Corner, or Grand Emporium. In large part, it seems like that's because of the half-width buildings. Those are nice to have for the sake of variety in a streetscape, but it means you're going to be building more boring walls and less cool stuff inside the walls.

Like I said, I'm sure I'll get it eventually and I think it's a fine design. I just won't be going into it expecting quite the same experience as earlier sets.

This seems to be a fairly common opinion. I, on the other hand think this is the first modular that is not a corner building worth buying. The Green Grocer and Fire Brigade just look "wrong" to me. The Fire Brigade just screams "turn me into an elementary school" and the Green Grocer was just ridiculously large. Either the corner buildings are way too small or the GG and FB are way too big. The Pet Shop and companion house really drive that home to me. Maybe it is because I am looking at these from the perspective of a classic town fan. The Cafe Corner being a grand hotel and the Grand Emporium being a department store are actually classic town scale to my eyes. The Pet Shop (and to a lesser extent Market Street) actually look "right" as large buildings in that context. :wink:

I can see that argument too. GE is certainly too small to be in scale as a grand department store compared to the others. But then some people have a lot more tolerance for scale irregularities in Lego than others. I like to try and stay close to scale, but my master plan for a modular streetscape is going to remodel the Grand Emporium into more of a modern, high-end shop than a real department store. And that happens to make GG fits the scale much better, so it's all good by me.

I think a lot depends how you order the buildings. The GG clearly doesn't belong next to the GE, and I don't think it belongs next to the PS either. But the PS looks in scale next to the GE. I think the CC kind of suits any scale, so for me it's going have large-scale buildings on one side and small-scale buildings on the other. I hope that works.

I am glad I got this, really like it however the blue cap that is supposed to hang on its hook was completely missing!! I have a spare so it wasn't worth contacting Lego just over one piece.

Seriously considering getting a second one now which would be MOC'ed in some way. A newsagents or some sort of record store in place of the pet shop interior is my first thought, also I would be tempted to build the town house part in mirror image and marry it up as a pair to the other one. So many possibilities, so little time...

Great review. I saw this set with my own eyes at the Lego Store last week, and I was impressed, but it doesn't really stand out as much as GE or even FB.

I just finished building the Townhouse myself and I noticed there is a difference between the boxart and the actual set. If you look closely at the third floor, you will notice a few flowers are missing at the front in the instructions. I suppose you can build it yourself with the extra parts but I'm lacking one of the brown flower pieces. Just wondering whether do you have it missing too as well