Anio

Nathanaël Kuipers's Concept Car

seem to become less and less technical to reach a wider audience.

I would not have say this.

I think the concept car is very good, but less complex than some today's big lego sets such as 8258, 8043 or 8265.

Where the concept car is impressive, IMO, it is clearly in the way it is built.

So, I would rather say that some models TLG designs today have less educative value, but aims at being more complexe (and impressive (than many sets in the 90's), in some extent).

For exemple, the "fake" gear box on 8070, or the transmissions LA require on models may have been pretty tough to design. Even if it is indeed not very realistic.

I noticed tonight the label "NK01" on the video.

Yes, I did it. I hope you and Nathanaël do not mind.

I had to choose a ref to put the review on SeTechnic (if you want to read it : http://www.setechnic.com/review-lego-technic-NK01.html ). I thought NK01 was fine. I think everyone understand why.

Please be assured, we considered nearly every aspect of the instructions very carefully. :)

Yes, perfectionnists never do things randomly. Each thing, no matter how insignificant it is, can be justified.

And I had this feeling when I built the concept car. As I said, each part has a reason to be and is used at his full potential.

Edited by Anio

I would not have say this.

I think the concept car is very good, but less complex than some today's big lego sets such as 8258, 8043 or 8265.

Where the concept car is impressive, IMO, it is clearly in the way it is built.

So, I would rather say that some models TLG designs today have less educative value, but aims at being more complexe (and impressive (than many sets in the 90's), in some extent).

For exemple, the "fake" gear box on 8070, or the transmissions LA require on models may have been pretty tough to design. Even if it is indeed not very realistic.

You mention some of the qualities I would use to make my point as well.

Also, the huge bloat in building instructions; extra steps taken to show every minute detail so that a younger builder will have less trouble building.

Many early reviews of the BI expressed some dismay that we not return to a more traditional approach, where the expertise of the builder is presumed, and many more parts are added in a step "by sight", rather than in small increments during a sub-assembly with multiple pose adjustments (as we HAVE done, per modern TLG BI standards).

Yes, I did it. I hope you and Nathanaël do not mind.

I had to choose a ref to put the review on SeTechnic (if you want to read it : http://www.setechnic.com/review-lego-technic-NK01.html ). I thought NK01 was fine. I think everyone understand why.

I only brought it up as a precursor to mention the "88448" moniker as a point of interest. :-)

I don't mind, in fact I think that was considered at one point, until I realized that (if I'm remembering correctly), the first BI that Nathanaël released was called NK01.

Also, the huge bloat in building instructions; extra steps taken to show every minute detail so that a younger builder will have less trouble building.

Personally, I think TLG have gone too far with this. My 4 year old son routinely skips steps (by accident) and can still build 7-12yo sets just fine, mostly by himself. I even came home one day to find he had done the first 12 steps of my 8258 all by himself :sweet:

I don't mind, in fact I think that was considered at one point, until I realized that (if I'm remembering correctly), the first BI that Nathanaël released was called NK01.

Happy accident. :laugh:

Is it normal for a German seller to charge $15 to ship 10 black bushings? How can shipping be 4x the price of the product? Ugh. :hmpf_bad:

Is it normal for a German seller to charge $15 to ship 10 black bushings? How can shipping be 4x the price of the product? Ugh. :hmpf_bad:

No, not normal... I just ordered a package containing nearly 500 bricks, mostly liftarms, from Germany, and I only payed €12 for shipping. Another shipment containing about a 100 smaller parts i payed €7,5 for shipping. Both was sent to Norway, that is out of EU...

I do how ever find Germany to be one of the more expensive countries to ship from. GB (Small packages have very nice shipping rates with Royal mail), Netherlands and Italy are generally among the cheapest I get shipments from.

-ED-

This thread fascinates me. I had never considered doing instructions for my mocs, but after reading this, I'd like to attempt some instructions for some mocs I have planned. I'll probably fail miserably, but it would be a fun attempt.

dulcaoin, thanks for the informative posts! It's great to read an insider's opinions. :thumbup:

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Why investing so much time in creating HQ instructions, and then asking money for it?

Simple photos of partially opened modules would have been enough, and free.

If it is meant to be shared, of course.

The "simple photos of partially opened modules" were posted quite extensively by Nathanaël over 3 years ago when I took on the job of creating the BI. They're still around and available. All parties interested in this model should take a look. There are alts shown with a gull-wing door option, and then a slight redesign of modules for a 4x4.

Long time lurker here, first time poster (hi!).

Just wanted to say I've been looking at this car since the threads starting popping up first showing it off, and I'm a huge fan. It's definitely going to get a display place on my shelves, probably around Christmas time.

I was wondering if there were any plans to make some more kits than the one that went on eBay? Maybe say, all the parts minus what comes in 8070? I'd guess there'd be quite a bit of interest, I'm just not sure if it's enough to make it a worthwhile endeavor. I'd personally be willing to pay a bit of a convenience fee for this, it definitely seems like the car would be a worthwhile investment!

The wheels are getting rear, but for the ones living in the Netherlands and want to build the car with the original tires, this might be an option:

http://www.outletpla...419078d686cdbfb

Only € 29,95 for the muscle car, you just need 2, so € 15,- for a wheel... and a lot of spare parts....And o my God, this set is ugly!

Or just use some other wheels you own and ad some spoilers, etc.

and more pictures Brickshelf

Edited by esrtiece

I've used the tires of 8880. It is perfect.

And much easier to get.

Anyone tried the 8448 tires?

The wheels are getting rear, but for the ones living in the Netherlands and want to build the car with the original tires, this might be an option:

http://www.outletpla...419078d686cdbfb

Only € 29,95 for the muscle car, you just need 2, so € 15,- for a wheel... and a lot of spare parts....And o my God, this set is ugly!

I always check that site, but I never look in the Racer section. Luckily I got some of the last tires on BL, but otherwise I would have bought this beautiful set :tongue::laugh:

It's not really a bad choice, considering you get almost 1200 parts for 60 Euro! Downside is that not all parts are very usable.

Long time lurker here, first time poster (hi!).

Just wanted to say I've been looking at this car since the threads starting popping up first showing it off, and I'm a huge fan. It's definitely going to get a display place on my shelves, probably around Christmas time.

I was wondering if there were any plans to make some more kits than the one that went on eBay? Maybe say, all the parts minus what comes in 8070? I'd guess there'd be quite a bit of interest, I'm just not sure if it's enough to make it a worthwhile endeavor. I'd personally be willing to pay a bit of a convenience fee for this, it definitely seems like the car would be a worthwhile investment!

Hi! Welcome.

You are probably better off starting with an Enzo or 599, if you've got the chance of course.

I have started building the Concept Car and I must say; it truly is a work of art!! Only having finished the chassis and front and rear wheel suspension, I already enjoyed the build so much.

Even if you don't have the parts to make this model, it's enjoyable to read the building instructions. Seeing the techniques used, is quite educational.

Pros

The suspension is working better than on other (supercar) models.

Nathanael mostly uses parts which are quite common. Having a modest collection of supercar models (preferrably the Enzo and/or 599, combined with the 8070) will get you a long way.

The modular design allows for lots of modifications. Making the chassic longer, other wheels, 4x4, adding other mods, PF's, etc.

The building instructions are very well designed, easy to read.

After every module, you look at it with a smile on your face.

Cons

Since I don't like red, I have decided to build it in yellow and make some minor changes on the exterior. The looks of the car don't appeal to me that much, but hey, it's Lego, so one can modify to one's liking.

This build is one of the most enjoyable builds ever, and I haven't even finished. The beauty is it's simplicity. A 9 year old can probably build this car without any problems and probably also without noticing the beauty of the design.

(sorry for the quality. I will shoot some better pictures when finished)

concept.jpg

Edited by Gekke Ted

Here's another picture of the standalone chassis.concept2.jpg

Here's another picture of the standalone chassis

MOAR Pictures! :pir-blush:

No, seriously, it looks great. You would say the wheels of 8070 are to small? (are those other wheels that large??? :pir-oh3: )

MOAR Pictures! :pir-blush:

No, seriously, it looks great. You would say the wheels of 8070 are to small? (are those other wheels that large??? :pir-oh3: )

I need to get myself a digicam to shoot some decent pictures. Will definitely do that, when it's finished.

The 8070 wheels have the same rims, but the tires are thinner. They are indeed too small for this model. I haven't tested it, but I would say that these wheels will also fit perfectly:

http://www.bricklink....asp?P=32197c01

Edited by Gekke Ted

I started to build the car in yellow as well. :thumbup: unfortunately there are a few pieces that don't exist in yellow. :sceptic:

Great! Nice to hear pirate_thumbup.gif

Do you have pictures of your model so far?

Yesterday I continued building the model, so I stumbled upon some missing yellow parts. Most of them can be easily replaced by black parts or maybe use a different approach alltogether.

Looking at the model, I do think the wheelbase is a little too short. Everything does fit nicely into place, so no complaints here, but the length of the wheelbase compared to the wheel size, doesn't really match (imho). It has the wheelbase of a 8070 like supercar, yet it uses bigger wheels. Maybe I should try to fit the 8070 wheels after all.

On a positive note; the modular design is so magnificent, there's lots of room for modding this model. Creating a larger chassis etc.

I still is one of the best builds I have ever done pirate_thumbup.gif

(still not 100% complete)

Built the chassis of the car last night, using the major parts from the 8070 and some extras from the storage. I really like it - the instructions are really professional made, easy to follow. And the design of the chassis is just excellent. The modular approach is clever. And I got the gearbox (a really nice one) I was missing on the original 8070...

But I will agree with an earlier post about the wheelbase. Having the car (without bodywork) on the table, fitted with the 8070 wheels, it looks more like a street converted off-roader or a beach buggy than a sleek sports car. So, the final bodywork might be something else when I'm done with this. Also, getting a third diff into this for true 4x4 would be nice (anyone tried yet?).

Edit: Added a few pictures of current progress. And I had parts for a V8 (the engine from 8070) only, so a supercharger have been added instead...

6136905420_488959b448_z.jpg

6136905324_0d7fd1f0cb_z.jpg

6136905130_067fc23e6c_z.jpg

Edited by Illuwatar

I am going to be hosting them for Nathanael at my site... As soon as everything gets finalized on Nathanael's end, I will make a thread(Or just bump this one) to let everyone know...

Hello,

I am looking for some help: I have paid the 15 dollars for the instructions last week, but have not received any mail with download instructions.

Also I sent mail to the adress mentioned when having problems, but no reply there yet.

Perhaps some persons on holidays or not available, but I would liked to have some reply....

Can someone help?

I'd be glad to give all further needed details in a separate mail.

best regards,

Henri Jaspers :cry_sad:

Built the chassis of the car last night, using the major parts from the 8070 and some extras from the storage. I really like it - the instructions are really professional made, easy to follow. And the design of the chassis is just excellent. The modular approach is clever. And I got the gearbox (a really nice one) I was missing on the original 8070...

But I will agree with an earlier post about the wheelbase. Having the car (without bodywork) on the table, fitted with the 8070 wheels, it looks more like a street converted off-roader or a beach buggy than a sleek sports car. So, the final bodywork might be something else when I'm done with this. Also, getting a third diff into this for true 4x4 would be nice (anyone tried yet?).

Very nice!

Looking at your chassis, the 8070 wheels seem to fit better than the original ones. I will finish the model one of these days and post the final pictures. After that, I will try to modify it with the 8070 wheels and different bodywork. Or maybe lengthen the wheelbase a bit.

Totally agree with the instructions btw, they are really great.

And it's really great we can all do some modifications and see what pops up.

Hello,

I am looking for some help: I have paid the 15 dollars for the instructions last week, but have not received any mail with download instructions.

Also I sent mail to the adress mentioned when having problems, but no reply there yet.

Perhaps some persons on holidays or not available, but I would liked to have some reply....

Can someone help?

best regards,

I had an email conversation with Nathanael, but after my last email (approx. two weeks ago) he hasn't replied. So maybe he is on Holiday or something. Would like to send you the instructions, but for obvious reasons I cannot do that.

Hello,

Can someone help?

best regards,

Henri, I immediately replied to your e-mail on Sepetember 10th with the information on how to download the instructions and sent the information to the address that you requested and once again replied yesterday when you sent another e-mail to me on how to download the instructions....

Henri, I sent you a P.M. on here with the information on how to download the instructions...