Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

Elizabethan Privateer The Princess Ceinwyn

this is one beautifull ship, master builder ;)

I love it when you go off castle-topic and still make something notable ;)

I love it when I come to this site, and see beautiful works of art like this. Not only is the ship built very nicely, its presentation is wonderful, and I really like the "water" effect of its display stand.

Thanks for sharing this.

:thumbup:

Okay - I tried not to comment on this one as it would be just another "good lord, that's a mindblowing one!" comment. What else does one expect when Derf builds a vessel-MOC?

But damnit, I cannot hold it back:

Good lord, that's a mindblowing one!

Beautifully shaped and designed ship with lots of nice details that make this moc so amazing and realistic. You truly are a moc expert, or i would say moc master. :pir_yoda:

Wow that's a beautiful MOC. In the first picture it looks like a proper model made of wood or something, not LEGO. Looks even better than in WIP.

That's just plain beautiful. I love the texture from the whips, and the whole color scheme is very nice.

Great job :thumbup:

I was waiting for someone else to bump this so I could finally post, lol.

This really is one of the most gorgeous "faux-minifig scale" ships I have ever seen.

Everything is executed brilliantly and smoothly--the tumble-home is particularly realistic and well-done. It is obviously based on common methods, but in ways that I've never really seen so much before.

The colour scheme, while based on period designs and simulating them very well (i.e., the red and green tooth pieces to represent the diagonal/jagged painting on the body).

The original ship is/was, it would seem, mostly unpainted originally, you represented very well by simply leaving the hull brown, but adding a separate "stripe" of reddish-brown added much more to it.

This is so extraordinary excellent, I really can't describe it. Just wonderful!

I was waiting for someone else to bump this so I could finally post, lol.

This really is one of the most gorgeous "faux-minifig scale" ships I have ever seen.

Everything is executed brilliantly and smoothly--the tumble-home is particularly realistic and well-done. It is obviously based on common methods, but in ways that I've never really seen so much before.

The colour scheme, while based on period designs and simulating them very well (i.e., the red and green tooth pieces to represent the diagonal/jagged painting on the body).

The original ship is/was, it would seem, mostly unpainted originally, you represented very well by simply leaving the hull brown, but adding a separate "stripe" of reddish-brown added much more to it.

This is so extraordinary excellent, I really can't describe it. Just wonderful!

Thankyou, I'm glad you picked up on the toothplates as that was the exact reason I chose to you them. I did originally decide to use all old brown, but a loot of parts I needed are not available in that colour, plus it's quite pricey. The red brown worked out quite nicely. Well, it will take a while to build enough ships for a decent Spanish Armada sized battle, but I have sorted all the lists of parts I need for each ship and will use this ships design to work from. I go on holiday for 2 weeks next week and when I come back I have 3 weeks to get the second ship build in time for display at Steam show. I will take pictures of each point of construction and post them here for those who would like to build this sort of ship. Many thanks for all your great comments!

Classical beauty in it´s best. Extraordinary. Since I´m building my first ship myself temporarily (but just LDD)I know how hard it is to draw a clear and nice line on the hull on galeons and your´s is just perfect. Also the colors are some of the best I´ve ever seen.

Really a stunning ship, I wouldn't change the sails either! :pir-wub:

I would love to see it in real life sometime, to see the effect of the tooth plates in person. (Or I could just try it myself of course ghehe.)

The only thing I really don't like is the glued parts on the stern, this sort of thing should only be done if it was invisible IMO.

Beautiful ship! I really like the colours and the details on deck.

The sails also turned out very well, especially the sewn edges look very professional.

The rigging is also good and I think you found the perfect balance between realism and simplicity.

Somehow I feel like the mizzen mast could be improved a little more according to 'real' ships, and I'm not very fond of glueing either.

The real challenge is to find a good-looking, legal solution of course :pir-classic:

Anyway, I wish you good luck on your other ships and I can't wait to see an Armada lay-out! Your ship is also in the index :pir-sweet:

Really a stunning ship, I wouldn't change the sails either! :pir-wub:

I would love to see it in real life sometime, to see the effect of the tooth plates in person. (Or I could just try it myself of course ghehe.)

The only thing I really don't like is the glued parts on the stern, this sort of thing should only be done if it was invisible IMO.

Beautiful ship! I really like the colours and the details on deck.

The sails also turned out very well, especially the sewn edges look very professional.

The rigging is also good and I think you found the perfect balance between realism and simplicity.

Somehow I feel like the mizzen mast could be improved a little more according to 'real' ships, and I'm not very fond of glueing either.

The real challenge is to find a good-looking, legal solution of course :pir-classic:

Anyway, I wish you good luck on your other ships and I can't wait to see an Armada lay-out! Your ship is also in the index :pir-sweet:

Thankyou for your kind words, I admit that I agree with both of you about the 'gluein'. It seemed like a good idea at first but when I look at it now it bugs me. Yes there are ways around it, I would have to make sloped walls on hinges so I can incorperate a 1x1 clip, instead of a sloped brick. They will stick out a bit but at least I dont have to worry about glueing them back on every time I knock them off! The tooth plates do work well and are a much underused part for ships, they come in quite a few colours and you could create some great patterns with them. Im working on new ship now, so I will make sure everything is legit on this one, as well as making the masts better. Thanks for you comments and advice, always appreciated.